Übersampling in The Witcher 3 petition

+
Übersampling in The Witcher 3 petition

In a recent interview Balázs Török, Lead Engine Programmer at CDPR, said that Übersampling or similar extremely demanding graphics settings might not make it into The Witcher 3 because in the case of TW2 people with even quite high-end rigs were complaining that they couldn't run the game at maximal settings.

If these considerations are indeed taking place, then my plea to the devs is to please, please reconsider!
I think that the wrong decision in the case of TW2 was to have Übersampling enabled in the default Ultra graphics preset. If the user has to manually enable this extremely this kind of demanding graphics options, then only the enthusiasts will do it, and there won't be many complaints about the low framerates.
Or, this option can be omitted from the graphics settings menu entirely, to be enabled only by editing the config file. This way only the real enthusiasts will enable it, and there won't be any complaints at all.

CDPR, please take into account not only those people who complained about this stuff, but also your most loyal fans, who are planning (like myself) to build a very powerful rig specifically in time for TW3 to be able to handle even the Übersampling-tier settings.

The guy literally says that they're going to try to implement Ubersampling or include it in a later patch, despite some of the mixed feedback. He just can't promise it 100%. In fact, they plan on adding in even more advanced features.

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me if it does not make it in, takes way too much power, when it is on there's almost no difference visually.

Last edited:
The guy literally says that they're going to try to implement Ubersampling or include it in a later patch, despite some of the mixed feedback. He just can't promise it 100%. In fact, they plan on adding in even more advanced features.

He said that they are still thinking about it and, due to the mixed feedback from TW2, he cannot guarantee it 100%. Which means that they might decide to leave it out. I just wanted to remind them that people who want the feature certainly exist :)

I think "ubersampling" (which is a brute force multiple antialiasing) is not something worthy to worry about. I.e. it doesn't worth the cost it comes with. It's better if developers work on good and smart techniques which improve the visuals. Rendering the scene multiple times to achieve better antialisainsg requires basically multiple times the power you'd spend on antialiasing otherwise (for example it means you'll need an SLI or something). That power could otherwise be spent on something really useful in the engine.

Last edited:
Sure, it's better to use the power in a smarter way, but the developers have limited manhours to implement everything, and smart technologies are much more difficult to implement. Basically what I was asking for was that if at the end of development period they realize that they can still add some very demanding to hardware, but cheap in terms of development time, option, than it'd be better if they do add it, and not abstain from doing it due to the mentioned above complaints.

I think any option never comes very cheap, because it requires testing, QA and so on. It always takes time, even if you think it's easy to add. If they deem such feature to be unworthy, they'll simply axe it to save on their development time and QA efforts (which is their direct expense). That's what I was saying. It would be more productive for them to spend their time on smart and interesting features.

I personally played through the Witcher 2 with Ubersmapling turned on, and I got 27-40 FPS on average. And to be honest I don't see that much difference between Uber and MSAA 8x except the fact that Uber is WAAAAAAAAAAAAy more demanding.
With that being said I think since Nvidia is involved, Nvidia users would get the TXAA option. Nvidia is really pushing the TXAA, and they force developers to implement it in every game that Nvidia is involved in. I own a Geforce, and yet again I don't see the point in having the TXAA since it literally murders your FPS.
Ubersampling and TXAA are too demanding for the difference they make which is almost unnoticeable.
I personally like to see a better alternative, but there is not any other technology that I know of.
But at the end of the day I trust CDPR would make the right decision, and from what we've seen so far the game looks amazing.

Ubersampling is a wasteful form of antialiasing, as are all other brute-force methods, and excessive antialiasing creates artifacts that are no less objectionable than the jaggies.

What they really need to do is make the game play nice with a variety of AA technologies, not just Ubersampling, MSAA, or TXAA, but injectable technologies like SMAA.

I see no difference between ubersampling enabled and disabled, so I never use it. 60 FPS is way better than some unnoticeable graphic improvement.

It would be really great if CDPR pays more attention to how to make the most of a mid-end technologies, rather than to push it all only for the high-ends. I hope CDPR would consider that. I believe they already did, probably...

I don't really think they've achieved something in Ubersampling. I don't think it matters. I'm not even thinking much about hair and fur rendering tbh. These are eyecandies that are only noticeable if you stare at them specifically. What I'm most excited is the dynamic weather and wind system.

My GPU isn't quite high enough for ubersampling so I haven't seen the effects, but I have seen quite a few forum posts expressing similar opinions to ViLarco, including the opinion that even though it works for them, it looks better without.

So I'd also prefer that they look to alternative solutions that aren't as destructive on framerates as ubersampling. I suspect it's a dead-end solution.

I don't really care if they include it. My PC won't be able to use it, anyway. Plus, there are many people who use downsampling in games through custom methods, so if you're really eager for something similar to Ubersampling, you can attempt something similar yourself.

Translated through google chrome:

"...But I think we will continue to keep features for you graphics enthusiasts in mind. Even though you may be able to use maybe not immediately, but maybe in a year or two, if the hardware is faster..." -Balázs Török

I'm not even thinking much about hair and fur rendering tbh. These are eyecandies that are only noticeable if you stare at them specifically. What I'm most excited is the dynamic weather and wind system.

Aye, this! I don't know enough to talk about graphics and ubersampling, but give me beautiful vistas, great atmosphere and weather effects to boot and I'm good! :laughing:

It is nice to have the option but it is such a hog of an option, it is just not worth the enormous performance hit imo.

Top Bottom