Uggh. So this is improved? [NPC Clones]

+
now that you mention it, they might actually have done it on purpose XD
I didn't know about this photo before it was shown here but indeed if it was on a doppler execution I'd say it was on purpose too - the voice of the masses as one turns every individual the same, while they are all condemning one individual for being different. His difference is being able to be just like anyone else

I've noticed way more cloned NPCs since 1.3. I also believe that there's a difference whether if you fast track to a location or are walking around a location. The other day in Little China, there were multiple clone NPCs of each kind.. like twins walking a few meters behind the next. When I fast traveled there, it was different than when I'd walked there.

Is there seriously no condition system with which to better control this?

Seems to me that setting a simple set of conditions for NPC streaming by distance from the player would serve to greatly reduce the problem. Something like a unique identifier flag attached to each streamed NPC, with a condition allowing only one of each flag to stream in within "X" distance from the current player location, and only at "Y" distance from a duplicate of the same NPC. You'd likely still see some duplicates as you move around, but not as frequently or as close together as no duplicates could spawn within the set distance parameters. Like if you're running down a street or driving a vehicle. It wouldn't be "as noticeable" since you're more focused on the road, or where you're running to. You'd still spot it from time to time, but mostly only when moving faster than the streaming engine can despawn any duplicates from the edge of the distance parameter.

/shrug

It's a subtle reference to the iconic scene from TW3:

It happens on occasion, but not very often from what I could see. They've supposedly introduced more variations of NPC models to decrease the likelihood of clones being spawned at the same place, but I doubt it's something that can be completely eradicated. It comes down to good and bad luck.

Trust me, what we're seeing with this in CP2077 now is NOT subtle. I've had the same experience in my playthroughs, and it's not occasional, it's constant. Joke all want about cloning, but this is just a lack of originality or effort on CDPR's part.

Guest 3847602

Trust me, what we're seeing with this in CP2077 now is NOT subtle. I've had the same experience in my playthroughs, and it's not occasional, it's constant. Joke all want about cloning, but this is just a lack of originality or effort on CDPR's part.
I believe you. I can only speak for myself, but I'm only seeing clones in Cyberpunk when I start the playsession. First 2-3 minutes. Past that point, I'm getting normal diversity of NPCs.

I believe you. I can only speak for myself, but I'm only seeing clones in Cyberpunk when I start the playsession. First 2-3 minutes. Past that point, I'm getting normal diversity of NPCs.
I also wonder why I doesn't see as many clones as other :(

Because when I'm in City Center (for example) at day time, I always look around for see if it's the case... (and I wait to have the maximum of NPCs possible) And most of times, there are one or two twins in the hundred of NPC around me... and I have to look attentively and closely in photo mode to see them.

Guest 3847602

Because when I'm in City Center (for example) at day time, I always look around for see if it's the case... (and I wait to have the maximum of NPCs possible) And most of times, there are one or two twins in the hundred of NPC around me... and I have to look attentively and closely in photo mode to see them.
No idea what's causing it to happen. Duplicating NPCs could be one of the tricks CDPR is using to reduce the crashes. Not putting too much stress on the system straight away. If I remember correctly, 1.1 patch made people start to appear with slight delay (10-20 seconds). I used to get out of V's apartment, go towards the elevator and not encounter a single person before I'd reach Coach Fred. Now I only see clones from time to time.
Speaking of clones, they were already present in 48 minute demo:
1.png
2.png

I have noticed cloned people once in all the hundred plus hours of play I have in CP2077. I can't say for sure it didn't happen more often than that, but I've only noticed it once. With respect to NPC issues, I remain more concerned with the way a whole area will cower in unison (MUCH improved with the 1.3 patch, but still not great) and pop-in and out. None of these are critical problems for me, but when they happen, I am reminded I'm just watching a game (that immersion-breaking issue).

Overall, CP2077, in its current updated state, is certainly among the most impressive games ever written. Still room for improvement for sure (for me, inventory management is the biggest remaining flaw with the game), but cloning would be pretty low on my list of problems.

After reading all your posts is evident that you have a completely different game than the rest of the world. You can tell us your secret: you have a cousin in CDPR who gave you version 3.0 years in advance before it'll be public. Or you're one of the hackers who stole data from CDPR :LOL:

Edit: removed random OT made by mistake

Last edited:
Referring to title:
Actually it's one of the few "non-flaws" of the game :LOL:
Post automatically merged:

R

After reading all your posts is evident that you have a completely different game than the rest of the world. You can tell us your secret: you have a cousin in CDPR who gave you version 3.0 years in advance before it'll be public. Or you're one of the hackers who stole data from CDPR :LOL:
Mhm.

Or, it's down to RAM usage by the system. More RAM / VRAM means that it's possible to cache and leave cached more randomly generated assets. For something like this, I'd imagine it uses VRAM, not standard system RAM. While it could simply be a bug in the way the game is "scrambling" assets to be selected and drawn, it's also possible that it's a failsafe for systems that start running out of RAM in any given instance. The game wants to draw in 20 more NPCs. Doesn't have the free memory addresses it needs to create the full list of assets. It's options would then be to either stop drawing additional NPCs...or use the assets already cached again to draw in 20 more NPCs, resulting in duplicates.

Another thing that might be happening is (like most randomization algorithms) it's using the system clock and/or frame timing to generate random values. Those values are then used to create numbers that associate with random assets. It's quite possible for systems using partial or asynchronous frames to be returning duplicate values when called upon. Try switching Vsync on or setting a frame limit of 72 or less and see if it changes anything. Using a frame limit of 56, I'm getting an occasional duplicate (just like I always did), but I'm not seeing night clubs full of clones or anything. That's running the game with crowd density at max.

After reading all your posts is evident that you have a completely different game than the rest of the world. You can tell us your secret: you have a cousin in CDPR who gave you version 3.0 years in advance before it'll be public. Or you're one of the hackers who stole data from CDPR
I can provide you some screenshots taken randomly in random part of the city (at day times and where there is a lot of NPC), you will see by your own ;) (I have no control on clones spawning on my game...)
And about bug, yes, I wonder if I'm incredibly lucky, because most of times I don't have any of those mentionned. But I hope I'm not alone... If I encounter bug, I generally post it on "1.3 Ongoing Bug list" thread :)

Mhm.

Or, it's down to RAM usage by the system. More RAM / VRAM means that it's possible to cache and leave cached more randomly generated assets. For something like this, I'd imagine it uses VRAM, not standard system RAM. While it could simply be a bug in the way the game is "scrambling" assets to be selected and drawn, it's also possible that it's a failsafe for systems that start running out of RAM in any given instance. The game wants to draw in 20 more NPCs. Doesn't have the free memory addresses it needs to create the full list of assets. It's options would then be to either stop drawing additional NPCs...or use the assets already cached again to draw in 20 more NPCs, resulting in duplicates.
That might be true but this game doesnt make much use of my 24gb vram and 32 gb ram. Never seen it go over 50% usage or allocation. I dont notice duplicates that often tho even if i bet there are some around. Also i cant complain about the amount of npcs when walking the streets or driving around (unless i go fast) Feels like it cant really keep up with loading stuff especially when driving...

That might be true but this game doesnt make much use of my 24gb vram and 32 gb ram. Never seen it go over 50% usage or allocation. I dont notice duplicates that often tho even if i bet there are some around. Also i cant complain about the amount of npcs when walking the streets or driving around (unless i go fast) Feels like it cant really keep up with loading stuff especially when driving...
Heh...that's a lot of VRAM! :p

So, probably not that then. My guess is that it is down to whatever algorithm is running the randomization system. One thing is definitely for certain, though: it's being caused by something that is affecting some people more than others. That doesn't mean that it can't be fixed on the studio end, but it also means that the root cause will be system settings or configuration differences. If a few people can figure out: "Oh! -- I changed this setting in my options, and it's better!" that goes a long way in finding a universal resolution.

I can provide you some screenshots taken randomly in random part of the city (at day times and where there is a lot of NPC), you will see by your own ;) (I have no control on clones spawning on my game...)
And about bug, yes, I wonder if I'm incredibly lucky, because most of times I don't have any of those mentionned. But I hope I'm not alone... If I encounter bug, I generally post it on "1.3 Ongoing Bug list" thread
It was just a joke, dude(tte) :LOL:

Edit: I removed part of my previous post because I thought I posted it somewhere else :( it was kinda OT here :LOL:

Last edited:
Heh...that's a lot of VRAM! :p

So, probably not that then. My guess is that it is down to whatever algorithm is running the randomization system. One thing is definitely for certain, though: it's being caused by something that is affecting some people more than others. That doesn't mean that it can't be fixed on the studio end, but it also means that the root cause will be system settings or configuration differences. If a few people can figure out: "Oh! -- I changed this setting in my options, and it's better!" that goes a long way in finding a universal resolution.
Might still be that tho, rarely see any game make use of more then 50% of my Vram exept when they use shadercashe (cod black ops does this.) Might be that they use a limited budget of vram no matter how much you got?

For science, two screenshots.
Not the most populated area possible (I wanted a random places without searching for too long) at day time (I wait and pass directly in photo mode). There are clones, I'm pretty sure, but its not so evident (I already saw clones on the second, but when walking, no chance to see them at the same time).
0f8d908a-36ad-4320-9619-b09cb82a8303.PNGf61b491c-ae21-4812-ba60-8b572c461894.PNG

Might still be that tho, rarely see any game make use of more then 50% of my Vram exept when they use shadercashe (cod black ops does this.) Might be that they use a limited budget of vram no matter how much you got?
Often, yes, just for the sake of avoiding engine hangups. But, 50% depends. Right now, Windows 10 64-bit is capable of using up to 6 TB of RAM...but most games will probably be budgeted for 16 GB or less. A lot still cap at 8 GB.

What I was mostly thinking is that it's people with only 8 GB total, and they may be running in 2K / 4K with settings maxed and background programs running...and it's the game gasping for RAM. But, clearly, it's happening on systems that should have plenty of overhead for whatever the game is calling for.

What you say is very possible, though: that it's simply the way the engine is parsing out the RAM addresses it's using.

And/or -- this may be happening completely in VRAM...which means there would certainly be a lot less to deal with on many systems.

XoneX here.

I didn't encounter that many clones at all on my current run with game ver. 1.3 compared to my previous playthrough with 1.23, until I got in the City Center and it's weird as most of the time clones don't happen unless I start running from place to place. Then it changes I had 8 clones to happen yesterday and they kept appearing! If I exist area and enter again and cruise with a car in there, clones doesn't seem to appear.

I don't know what sort of tradeoffs there ate happening. Experience is much smoother, driving and that than it used to be in day 1 to 1.6 or even 1.23. Old hardware, I'd say I take population density that is still mind blowing for XoneX hardware over other things, but of course if they find a way to have less clones appear that would be nice, but population density is the most important factor for me making it feel like no city before in any game.

Today CDPR got back to me about my bug report of the duplicate NCPs (and cars too btw, those are duplicated also like rabbits).
They asked if i have installed the game on HDD os SSD (SSD in my case).
So it looks like they too are thinking towards loading times: if a HDD is a bit too slow, duplicates will be made?
But here too more than enough "power": i9-9900KF, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio GPU, 32 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz cl15 ram. No tweaks, no overclock.
And here the duplicates here only started really to appear with version 1.23 and up. Version 1.22 is relatively free of duplicates, I tested that last week.
Post automatically merged:

The mail from CDPR got me thinking.
I had the option "Slow HDD Mode" in the game settings at On. I did put it to Off now .... and I don't have the duplicate NPCs and cars anymore (other than the normal duplicates). Also, the environment is alive again: busy streets, Lizzie's Bar and The Afterlife also crowded like usual :)

Last edited:
The mail from CDPR got me thinking.
I had the option "Slow HDD Mode" in the game settings at On. I did put it to Off now .... and I don't have the duplicate NPCs and cars anymore (other than the normal duplicates). Also, the environment is alive again: busy streets, Lizzie's Bar and The Afterlife also crowded like usual
Curious. Did you respond about this in your ticket?

Top Bottom