uh is CDPR aware of the new crashes after ps4 pro patch?

+
Lim3zer0;n10614322 said:
If you want some of the specifics, it's really to do with the W3UILoader, which in a nutshell is responsible for loading the icon from the game files and displaying it in the UI or HUD. If you have too many items in your inventory loading all this can become quite slow. (Anybody who has a very large number of items in their stash would know this first hand)
This problem is exacerbated the lower the specs of the system the game is running on.

This is really a limitation of scaleform, (which is what the UI is made with), its not really to do with the game's engine.

If it were just a question of the numbers and each item's unique identifier then yeah... you would be correct, you would have no problem with processing hundreds, if not thousands of items in a fraction of a second.

Sorry but this isnt true, I can reliably, and repeatedly make a new game from the blood and wine start point, go to a smithy, craft the witcher gear, sell everything else so all I have is that gear then go to another regular vendor with basic goods and still crash the game with like 5 items on the screen.

I basically went to crows perch, crafted a piece of feline gear, sold all my items in crows perch, then fast traveled to White orchid to the cart vendor, who has like 10 items for sale, loaded in with the smaller text font, and it still crashed. I'm sorry but this isnt some "you have to many things" bug.

The image below is seconds before the crash occurs, after selling everything and changing zones.

Can we please stop spreading this info, that its how much your carrying, we have proven thats not the case and CDPR has them self said the crashes are a bug on their twitters.

Attachments

• DXjCoGNUMAAXjhq (1).jpg
    DXjCoGNUMAAXjhq (1).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Offskee;n10614772 said:
Sorry but this isnt true, I can reliably, and repeatedly make a new game from the blood and wine start point, go to a smithy, craft the witcher gear, sell everything else so all I have is that gear then go to another regular vendor with basic goods and still crash the game with like 5 items on the screen...

As I stated above, there is not only one bug that can result in the inventory having issues or crashing. Something new seems to be happening that directly relates to item descriptions in the latest patch. If you're seeing what you're describing, then this is a different issue.

I assure you that the issue will occur how and why it is described. Lim3zer0's description above is solid. Read here, if you want any further specifics.

That being said, if and when you encounter other things, it helps to send the issue into CDPR Support:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

SigilFey;n10614942 said:
As I stated above, there is not only one bug that can result in the inventory having issues or crashing. Something new seems to be happening that directly relates to item descriptions in the latest patch. If you're seeing what you're describing, then this is a different issue.

I assure you that the issue will occur how and why it is described. Lim3zer0's description above is solid. Read here, if you want any further specifics.

That being said, if and when you encounter other things, it helps to send the issue into CDPR Support:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

It's not a different issue, thats the thing you guys keep seeming to want to file these as independent of each other yet they all have 2 common factors. Item descriptions when at a merchant causing the game to hard crash.

Second factor, it started with the 1.50 patch en masse, meaning it is related and not a simple "you have to much stuff" issue.

So clearly this isnt some new thing where players inventory was suddenly at its cap.

Anyone in the IT world knows 1 common factor is a good indicator of something but 2, its a red flag.

You say your self above that it takes an extremely long time to get to that point yet I can do it from a fresh new game with 15 items and it happens every time. It can't be both ways.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Offskee;n10615182 said:
Also I think the frustration alot of us are having and finally starting to get tired of is that we have no official response from CDPR here, I had to go digging in a twitter account to find out that the patch actually got delayed and when they said new info in a week we now have no ETA at all.

See below. Why are they being so uncommunicative about it?

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/966731032539090949

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/969538058080178176

At least it is being acknowledged. I agree with you that its frustrating. Last week Marcin did say news would come out this week, and to see his response of no info now, but the usual 'its coming' is disappointing. But I rather they take their time and do it right. Rather than having the new patch bring in new problems when it does arrive.

TrishKrish;n10615272 said:
At least it is being acknowledged. I agree with you that its frustrating. Last week Marcin did say news would come out this week, and to see his response of no info now, but the usual 'its coming' is disappointing. But I rather they take their time and do it right. Rather than having the new patch bring in new problems when it does arrive.

What is acknowledged?

I only saw, a tweet from someone about that useless (under the above circumstances) HDR support.

HDR support will not fix your faulty inventory ot the merchant problems.

So, decide which part is more important to you!

Game crashes or HDR support?

The tweet says it pretty clear.

User: Will the HDR patch for Ps Pro users be out in Feb?

CDPR: Should have more info on that next week. Sorry about the silence

User: Please. Please say that you'll had a toggle to switch from 4k 30 to 1080 high performance mode because I bought the PS4 Pro for the Witcher 3 and I feel like I should have stayed with my old console..

My Answer: Nope sorry that will not happen on the PS4 Pro. (CDPR sayd that pretty clear)

Those tweets are totally worthless, as the most people on that tweet have their minds on HDR support and not on the crashes that occurs with the game, overtime. ;)

Offskee;n10615182 said:
Also I think the frustration alot of us are having and finally starting to get tired of is that we have no official response from CDPR here, I had to go digging in a twitter account to find out that the patch actually got delayed and when they said new info in a week we now have no ETA at all.

See below. Why are they being so uncommunicative about it?

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/966731032539090949

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/969538058080178176

>I had to go digging in a twitter account to find out that the patch actually got delayed and when they said new info in a week we now have no ETA at all.

That patch whenever it comes out, will not solve your crash problems!

That's only about HDR support. I hope you can read. ;)

mark5916;n10615722 said:
>I had to go digging in a twitter account to find out that the patch actually got delayed and when they said new info in a week we now have no ETA at all.

That patch whenever it comes out, will not solve your crash problems!

That's only about HDR support. I hope you can read. ;)

Actually it was noted in another twitter post/press release, that it would. So yes I can read, and search the Internets for info.

Last edited:
Offskee;n10615772 said:
Actually it was noted in another twitter post/press release, that it would. So yes I can read, and search the Internets for info.

>Actually it was noted in another twitter post/press release, that it would.

Yes, i know.

It's just that the above tweets you posted has nothing to do with it. :p

SigilFey;n10614092 said:
It's not an accusation or attempt to lay blame of any sort. It's an explanation of what will occur in the engine if players maintain inventory items in their active inventory for an extended period of time. And having more inventory items in their inventory will make the problem occur more quickly.

And it isn't an "error" at all. It's the way the game was designed, and it takes an extraordinarily long time to occur. It's also not the only inventory issue that can arise. It's simply one that is extremely easy to avoid.

It's not possible to tell a computer system to do everything endlessly. Programs have limitations.

Pac-Man will glitch out at break at level 256.

Minecraft will disintegrate and become buggy when you reach the Far Lands.

Skyrim will experience physics and AI issues if FPS exceeds 60.

If you carry around the same inventory for too long in TW3, items can get borked.

So...

Stop playing Pac-Man before you get to level 256.

Don't travel too far in one direction in Minecraft.

Choose not to play Skyrim with unlimited FPS.

Avoid hoarding unneeded items in TW3.

And to be clear, it is possible to complete the entire game twice without the issue arising. If you see inventory lag / crashing, this is what may be causing it. Either regularly stash / sell unneeded items or simply don't load up on items to begin with. It's when the game is pushed way past what it was designed for that this issue arises.

Well, I am a developer by trade, and as such I must say what you are saying is utter nonsense:)

If the ERROR were happen on PC, I would debug it myself, but anyway without debugging I share my educated guess, or I at least what I think happens in my case, maybe it helps:

The crash happens instantly as I try to select an item, there is no increased processor activity prior to it, so it must be caused simply by a unhandled exception, no stackoverflow or other processing overload. The problem arises with items which have lots of texts to display, such as set pieces of armor. If I reduce or hide the text, the crash can be avoided, therefore the exception must be thrown in the code section which is responsible for scaling up the font size.

I know it's not much and there could be other issues as well, but I'm pretty sure this happened multiple times in my case.

Last edited:
Szesan;n10641541 said:
Well, I am a developer by trade, and as such I must say what you are saying is utter nonsense:)

If the ERROR were happen on PC, I would debug it myself, but anyway without debugging I share my educated guess, or I at least what I think happens in my case, maybe it helps:

The crash happens instantly as I try to select an item, there is no increased processor activity prior to it, so it must be caused simply by a unhandled exception, no stackoverflow or other processing overload. The problem arises with items which have lots of texts to display, such as set pieces of armor. If I reduce or hide the text, the crash can be avoided, therefore the exception must be thrown in the code section which is responsible for scaling up the font size.

I know it's not much and there could be other issues as well, but I'm pretty sure this happened multiple times in my case.

The issue is already known. You can read here if you're interested in learning more. (I provided the same link above.) Unfortunately, I don't think this workaround will be possible on PS4. So that means ensuring I don't carry too much of the same stuff around for too long is necessary.

As for the crash that people have been reporting when looking at item descriptions (like the Griffin Gear), I think that's a completely different thing. I recommend reporting that to CDPR if encountered. That does not seem to be connected to item IDs becoming too large.

This is such a non-sense! I heard lots of positive feedback about this game, so I bought it for my PS4 Pro. I have started to play this game not so long ago. Yeah, I managed to notice good parts of this game. But! Constant crashes! This game were crashing while my witcher was at LVL 1! Now I'm just lvl 13, and I'm getting like 10-15 crashes a day!? What? I tried to enjoy this game, but last time I tried, it crashed 4x times in 30 minutes? If you have issues with inventory ID's - limit inventory, if you have any other issues address them. If you can't - revert your PS4 PRO patch, I don't need shiny graphic when my game is crashing 4x times in 30 minutes. No excuses here! If it's inventory issue - then please fix that issue, instead of making silly excuses. In the end - I left a rating 1 in PS store - just because of 4 crashes in 30minutes. I don't even have a desire to start from scratch or launch and try to repair this game. (Repairing this game, to make it playable is not my job OK?). Every single crash-report was attached with video+screenshot, so no excuses here again. You can look at my history and see 30 crash reports in 1 day! That's not normally, and such game can't deserve 10/10. My verdict 1/10, because it becomes unplayable when you are experiencing 4 crashes in 30minutes on lvl 13? Just What? I barely made my way out of swamps?

Last edited:
RastikX;n10653681 said:
This is such a non-sense! I heard lots of positive feedback about this game, so I bought it for my PS4 Pro. I have started to play this game not so long ago. Yeah, I managed to notice good parts of this game. But! Constant crashes! This game were crashing while my witcher was at LVL 1! Now I'm just lvl 13, and I'm getting like 10-15 crashes a day!? What? I tried to enjoy this game, but last time I tried, it crashed 4x times in 30 minutes? If you have issues with inventory ID's - limit inventory, if you have any other issues address them. If you can't - revert your PS4 PRO patch, I don't need shiny graphic when my game is crashing 4x times in 30 minutes. No excuses here! If it's inventory issue - then please fix that issue, instead of making silly excuses. In the end - I left a rating 1 in PS store - just because of 4 crashes in 30minutes. I don't even have a desire to start from scratch or launch and try to repair this game. (Repairing this game, to make it playable is not my job OK?). Every single crash-report was attached with video+screenshot, so no excuses here again. You can look at my history and see 30 crash reports in 1 day! That's not normally, and such game can't deserve 10/10. My verdict 1/10, because it becomes unplayable when you are experiencing 4 crashes in 30minutes on lvl 13? Just What? I barely made my way out of swamps?

>But! Constant crashes! This game were crashing while my witcher was at LVL 1! Now I'm just lvl 13, and I'm getting like 10-15 crashes a day!?

You should definitely contact CDPR and upload those saves in question as well.

I also played on my previous game through with that latest 1.50 patch on the same console as you, so the PS4 Pro.

First off, i never had any crashes at level 1, regardless the patch version. I did not encountered any crashes at level 13 either.

I didn't went any further, as i try the game with the 1.30 patch and Sony supersampling feature now.

And secondly, if you get such crashes so early into the game, it could be very well related to the Console and not the game.

So, i would try that save file on a different console, perhaps from a friend of yours.

But i would definitely upload that Level 13 save file to CDPR for further investigation. ;)

Johnnysurf7;n10654541 said:
Such a weird bug.Just finished the game and no crashes,can't figure it out....

That's why it will take ages to CDPR to figure out why that happens.

Either way the game should crash way often to everyone or very rarely.

If someone doesn't get any crashes at all and someone else frequently, something is not going right.

People just don't understand that, and thinking the workaround is that easy like counting 1+2+3.

The game is enormous. That takes time!

Just look at the lines of code number.

https://www.gamezone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_infographic.jpg

In reality that number is way greater.

Last edited:
What you are writing are lies. I'm not experiencing any crashes in any other games. I played more than 200+ hrs in DS3, more than 100hrs in Bloodborne, and around same amount in other games. No single crash. And now you are saying that it's because of my console, that just 1 game, out of 7 is crashing constantly? :D Just take a look at google - Witcher 3 crash. You don't even have to specify platform. Xbox, PC, PS4 - crashes, alot of video on how to prevent them, PC even have player mods to prevent crashes. It's not normal behaviour. Game gives me a chance to collect all kind of grass limitlessly, and then saying - woops, you can't actually do that, because of too big itemID numbers... What? :D Thats game design flaw. I sent every single report with a screenshot and video via PS4 platform. If CDProjekt want to fix this issue, they would do this long ago! Cmon, this game came out not even last year? And I have seen posts regarding too many crashes from 2015 - 2018. Srsly? :D And you are telling to all those people, that there are problems with your hardware, some itemID crap and so on? How many crash reports do they need? I personally sent ~50. Just in like 2-3 weeks :D That's obviously a game design flaw. You have to either play naked, and don't take any items (because game can't hold without a crash if you start to gather grass) or play it on PC by downloading from torrent and putting ontop needed player MODs... That's how I see this game now. And that's definitely not a 10/10 game.
Maybe it would be something like 8 or 9/10 if no crashes. But looking at google history people are whining regarding crashes from game release in 2015? :D

At least - inform your customers with all the needed information, to make this crash-o-dromme playable. Like - don't collect alchemy ingredients, they are for decoration only. Don't take any items from chests, too many items may crash your game, don't turn on your PS4 boost mode and so on...

No, I knew nothing from that. And just because of the crash amount this game became oficially the most Crashy game in my 30 years gaming experience... Somewhere on the same pedestal with Arcanum of Steamworks (that was less crashy). Good game, with interesting characters (abit too shallow) and good animation, pretty body slices. Abit clancy physics and with very unstable engine that can make this game unplayable.

1/10...

Last edited:
RastikX;n10656481 said:
What you are writing are lies. I'm not experiencing any crashes in any other games. I played more than 200+ hrs in DS3, more than 100hrs in Bloodborne, and around same amount in other games. No single crash. And now you are saying that it's because of my console, that just 1 game, out of 7 is crashing constantly? :D Just take a look at google - Witcher 3 crash. You don't even have to specify platform. Xbox, PC, PS4 - crashes, alot of video on how to prevent them, PC even have player mods to prevent crashes. It's not normal behaviour. Game gives me a chance to collect all kind of grass limitlessly, and then saying - woops, you can't actually do that, because of too big itemID numbers... What? :D Thats game design flaw. I sent every single report with a screenshot and video via PS4 platform. If CDProjekt want to fix this issue, they would do this long ago! Cmon, this game came out not even last year? And I have seen posts regarding too many crashes from 2015 - 2018. Srsly? :D And you are telling to all those people, that there are problems with your hardware, some itemID crap and so on? How many crash reports do they need? I personally sent ~50. Just in like 2-3 weeks :D That's obviously a game design flaw. You have to either play naked, and don't take any items (because game can't hold without a crash if you start to gather grass) or play it on PC by downloading from torrent and putting ontop needed player MODs... That's how I see this game now. And that's definitely not a 10/10 game.
Maybe it would be something like 8 or 9/10 if no crashes. But looking at google history people are whining regarding crashes from game release in 2015? :D

At least - inform your customers with all the needed information, to make this crash-o-dromme playable. Like - don't collect alchemy ingredients, they are for decoration only. Don't take any items from chests, too many items may crash your game, don't turn on your PS4 boost mode and so on...

No, I knew nothing from that. And just because of the crash amount this game became oficially the most Crashy game in my 30 years gaming experience... Somewhere on the same pedestal with Arcanum of Steamworks (that was less crashy). Good game, with interesting characters (abit too shallow) and good animation, pretty body slices. Abit clancy physics and with very unstable engine that can make this game unplayable.

1/10...

Oh, dont sweat it. I was among the first to talk about this problem on this forum. Your problem will never get fixed and you wont get your money back. Its simple as that :D I am just trying to save your nerves, took me about 4 months to realise this but I am still here just so I can annoy the people who sold me the product which doesnt work hehe

mark5916;n10654711 said:
That's why it will take ages to CDPR to figure out why that happens.

Either way the game should crash way often to everyone or very rarely.

If someone doesn't get any crashes at all and someone else frequently, something is not going right.

People just don't understand that, and thinking the workaround is that easy like counting 1+2+3.

The game is enormous. That takes time!

Just look at the lines of code number.

https://www.gamezone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_infographic.jpg

In reality that number is way greater.

Sorry, but this is just another absolute nonsense.
I've worked on many projects with millions of lines of codes, and the amount of code is never an excuse for system critical errors.
Beyond a certain project size it doesn't matter whether its 6-700 000 loc or 6-7 million, because no one person can oversee all the code anyways.
It all comes down to coming up with a smart hierarchical structure to organize the source.

To give you an analogy:

Is it harder to find a street in the US, or in London?
here are way more streets in the US but it's not at all harder to find any specific street on the map, because the data is organized:
There are states --> counties --> cities --> districts etc.

Code is very similarly organized in software, if the amount of code causes any problems it is the developer's fault for not organizing it efficiently.

I have to say that as someone who is usually very patient with things like this, the patch is taking a bit too long. It's definitely been frustrating waiting for this patch. Three months into the year and coming in a few weeks became 7 weeks. Some more communication about the patch might ease our worries for a bit.

Top Bottom