uh is CDPR aware of the new crashes after ps4 pro patch?

+
uh is CDPR aware of the new crashes after ps4 pro patch?

I only have an OG ps4, but on gamefaqs' ps4 witcher 3 board, people have been complaining about crashes, especially in the inventories that are clogged; it never crashed before this pro patch apparently. I have linked the support contact but can't really say anything since I've had no issues on my non pro ps4.

Here are a few of the topics: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/75920667

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/75853080

Hope the new issues get fixed soon.

Playing the Witcher for a while and its true - since 'Pro patch' the game is crashing, mine so far crashed twice but before this patch it was rock stable. Also, the fans in my PS 4 Pro are MUCH MORE noisy than before (even with Boost enabled). Honestly, I don't see much difference in picture before and after patch and I'd like to have option to switch-off the 'Pro' quality settings but have more smooth game (fps is clearly lower). I'm playing on FullHD TV not 4k and therefore I may be unable to see the quality benefits.

CDPR is aware of crashing, performance issues, fans going nutsy, etc. Unfortunately, these issues are not universal and cannot always be re-created. Work is ongoing! :)

Solutions that have worked for some (but not all):

1.) "Rebuild the Database" for your Playstation.

2.) Free up some space on the console's hard drive. Leaving around 10 GB free at all times is a great idea.

3.) Uninstall and reinstall the game completely. (Be sure you back up your saves!) Try to do this during off-peak hours. If your connection is spotty while downloading the game, DLC, or updates, it's possible for package loss to occur and result in data corruption. (Try to do it at, like, 2 am or something to ensure the smoothest connection, if you think this might be a problem.)

If even these steps have no effect, do feel free to send in a saved game and a description of the issues you're experiencing:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/

After the update, saw a pop-up in game, something about version updated, user settings reset. It now does not offer a 'continue' option, appears all my saves are gone???

Update: After trying a bunch of things, I launched the app under my wife's profile - all the saves had 'moved' there? There was another backgrounded app running (spotify) under her PSN account when the wild hunt updated. It's also possible that I was logged in as her when the app first launched and applied the update? Not 100% sure, thought I was under mine. Either way, something weird happened when migrating the saves to the new version?

So, very odd, but able to keep playing under her profile. o_O

Last edited:
SigilFey;n9808431 said:
CDPR is aware of crashing, performance issues, fans going nutsy, etc. Unfortunately, these issues are not universal and cannot always be re-created. Work is ongoing! :)
[...]
I reinstalled whole system (initialise) and then fresh Witcher 3 install - crashes. I have 800GB free on HDD so that's not the issue. Yesterday two crashes on trade menu - obvious bug. Not sure what savegame should help as finally I managed to do trade I wanted (3rd attempt), so its quite random.
Oh, the funny thing before reinstall was that the graphics seemed to be 'doubled' almost like when Geralt is drunk - especially was visible on the sea (like I saw two masts on my boat or waves were doubled, also Geralt). Its gone after reinstall but again... Why it happend ?

RederOr;n9811671 said:
I reinstalled whole system (initialise) and then fresh Witcher 3 install - crashes. I have 800GB free on HDD so that's not the issue. Yesterday two crashes on trade menu - obvious bug.

That's good to know and will probably help to rule out certain things as potential issues.

RederOr;n9811671 said:
Not sure what savegame should help as finally I managed to do trade I wanted (3rd attempt), so its quite random.

This is also useful. If you could provide a saved game from immediately before this trade and send that in with a brief description of what steps to take to cause the (maybe) crash?

RederOr;n9811671 said:
Oh, the funny thing before reinstall was that the graphics seemed to be 'doubled' almost like when Geralt is drunk - especially was visible on the sea (like I saw two masts on my boat or waves were doubled, also Geralt). Its gone after reinstall but again... Why it happend ?

And this is weird. Likely because computers can be stupid, stupid-faces that to stupid things for stupid reasons because they're sooo stupid. (Seriously, if I run into major issues with something, my absolute last-resort troubleshooting step is to shut the entire PC / console / mobile down for, like, 48 hours, then cold boot it. Sometimes, the problems just magically vanish...like the device was in a better mood after its nap.)

Seriously, though, it looks like some of the shaders got borked during the update or something. As long as you're not seeing anything now, we can probably dismiss that as a one-off glitch.

@all

Just to address general issues with inventory / trading / game crashing when looking at item details / etc.:

Whenever you update the game, certain inventory items may be affected (...for many, various reasons). This can create a "new ID" for those items and cause issues with existing data in your save state. If you experience trouble:

1.) Un-equip absolutely everything (weapons, armor, bombs, potions, etc.)

2.) Dump everything into your stash (your entire inventory)

3.) Travel between regions (e.g. Velen to Skellige).

4.) Go to a stash in the new region and take things again.

In general, hoarding huge numbers of items is eventually going to cause a problem. If you are experiencing any form on inventory "lag", it's a great sign that you have too much stuff, and problems may begin occurring. Try to sell off stuff you don't need.

Issue 2 is that after a certain amount of game-time and/or saves for a single playthrough, the inventory IDs get wonked. This seems to be a result of rather extreme playthrough-time, though (~1,500+ hours / ~2,000+ saves). If you've been playing for only ~200 hours (that's plenty for most people to get through the entire main campaign + DLC for both standard and NG+), this is almost certainly not your problem. Beginning a new game completely resets this "clock", as well.

TL;DR

+ Do the 1-4 steps above if suffering from inventory / trading screen crashes.

+ Avoid hoarding in your inventory. Massive inventory of junk = problem. Sell, sell, sell!

+ If you've been playing the same character for, like, 1,500 hours, time to start a new game.

Like Foltest said in the beginning of witcher 2, "you've got work to do, commander CDPR"

My game crashed in a new playthrough in white orchard when I started the fight with the griffin. I'm on a non pro ps4, patch 1.51 (w/e the latest patch is)

SigilFey;n9811981 said:
In general, hoarding huge numbers of items is eventually going to cause a problem. If you are experiencing any form on inventory "lag", it's a great sign that you have too much stuff, and problems may begin occurring. Try to sell off stuff you don't need.

Can yo please tell me how to do that? Since there is limit what you can sell in every shop (traders have got their own money limit. How Am I supposed to sell my tons of junk if avarage merchant is broke after ten items? Could you not implement some Big trading consorptium to be able to buy all junk? I was hoping that after some time Merchants would sell my old stuff and earn money, but I am not observing this.

I bougth this game online from Playstation Store, have not finished the story yet, and I am getting like 5 crashes per day. This is just unacceptable for a game of this caliber to have such bug. I am amazed tere is no patch for this yet...

Edit: I have done this workaround. It crashed 5 times during the process. Not to mention it did not help and crashes still occur at every second visit in menu. If you think I overreact, please check your report system. I have send you every crash i had today.

Last edited:
How and to whom should I send the PS4 savegame ? Yesterday I had multiple crashes. When I tried to sell swords I managed to do it on 4th attempt. When I try to move to stash the game crashes after I move 1-3 items. So now I have a savegame but how to extract the proper one and where to email it ? Thats really annoying, I stopped playing as I'm afraid to open equipement menu.

Tried to use the on-line bug report, three attempts and three fails, OMG...:
We experienced an unexpected error. Please try submitting your form again. If this doesn't help write to tw3support@cdprojektred.com and make sure to attach your dxdiag for PC issues.

Thats what I did but tried 3 times and 3 times I got the red message from my above post. Quite disappointing.

szczudel;n9827881 said:
Can yo please tell me how to do that? Since there is limit what you can sell in every shop (traders have got their own money limit. How Am I supposed to sell my tons of junk...?

You need to do the dump to stash --> switch regions --> retrieve stash first. This will create new instances of most of the items and hopefully fix the wonky items that were causing the issue. Then, you'll have to sell off the stuff in stages. (The issue is having too much in your inventory, so loading up again will likely create the same issue.)

szczudel;n9827881 said:
Edit: I have done this workaround. It crashed 5 times during the process. Not to mention it did not help and crashes still occur at every second visit in menu. If you think I overreact, please check your report system. I have send you every crash i had today.

Clarification: The only surefire way to avoid it is prevent it. Therefore, never load down your inventory. Regularly sell off unneeded items or just don't loot things that aren't needed.

Once the problem occurs, it can be a bear. There's also no guarantee that my suggestion will work in all cases. For example, if a quest-related item has issues, it may not be possible for the game to create a new instance, and the only way to deal with it is work around it. The worst-case scenarios I've heard of can cause a crash by simply mousing over the corrupted item, though that's rare. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're in a bit of a situation with your save-state. My best recommendation is to try to look for patterns in the crashing. If you can avoid interacting with items that cause the issue, you may be able to sell off other stuff first and ease the load on the engine.

Be sure you contact Tech Support with a saved game if you haven't sent it in. Sounds like you're save-state is in...well...quite the state.

RederOr;n9830741 said:
Thats what I did but tried 3 times and 3 times I got the red message from my above post. Quite disappointing.

It's likely just an issue with the server or the connection. Try again later on. Or, simply use the e-mail provided, including your system specs, Windows version, description of the issue, etc.

Hello,

BEST PS4 PRO SOLUTION FOR INVENTORY CRASH

Yesterday the problem happened to me again. After start a New Game +, when I arrived Crow´s Perch, I went to the blacksmith repair my set of GrandMaster griffin and swords, and the problem of
Crash it happened to me again.
What I do to solve this problem is the following: after the game crashed, start the game normally ... continue ... loading and you're in the game again, pause the game, click save game and delete all automatically saved games, after deleting all, manually save the game.
Now let's go to the inventory: open the inventory, do not put the selector on any witcher master item (green color) if witcher items are already equipped you select any item in your inventory (equipment other than witcher) and press L3 to hide the letters, after hiding the letters, try to remove and re-equip master witcher items (always with the letters hidden to remove and equip master witcher equipment)
do not try to hide the letters from the witch master equipment, the game will crashed, You have to hide the letters with another item, other than master witcher. if you do not have the witch master items equipped, make the same, select any item and hide the letters then equip the witcher items, always with the letters hidden.
I did not realize it, but it seems to me that I always go to the blacksmith of the crow´s perch repair the master witcher set the game crashed. I'll look at this again and come back to warn you.
With this solution I can play always, whenever you game crash , you can do this and return to play without crash.
Hope this helps!!!

PSN ID: MaiconYKZ

I basically tried everything to make the game work. My game started crashing by navigating through inventory and trying to sell/buy stuff to/from a vendor or trader.
Then, out of despair and reading some posts I reduced the size of the item description font and all my problems vanished. Try it out and I hope it works for u guys!

WildMild;n10582162 said:
I basically tried everything to make the game work. My game started crashing by navigating through inventory and trying to sell/buy stuff to/from a vendor or trader.
Then, out of despair and reading some posts I reduced the size of the item description font and all my problems vanished. Try it out and I hope it works for u guys!

Cool beans / awesome bananas!

I would recommend doing the stash --> transition to new area --> retrieve stash thing, just to be safe. Especially, if you're getting any lag in the inventory. Better to do it while things are still working even half-smoothly. I also strongly recommend selling off anything you don't need beforehand.

SigilFey;n9811981 said:

@all

Just to address general issues with inventory / trading / game crashing when looking at item details / etc.:

Whenever you update the game, certain inventory items may be affected (...for many, various reasons). This can create a "new ID" for those items and cause issues with existing data in your save state. If you experience trouble:

1.) Un-equip absolutely everything (weapons, armor, bombs, potions, etc.)

2.) Dump everything into your stash (your entire inventory)

3.) Travel between regions (e.g. Velen to Skellige).

4.) Go to a stash in the new region and take things again.

TL;DR

+ Do the 1-4 steps above if suffering from inventory / trading screen crashes.

+ Avoid hoarding in your inventory. Massive inventory of junk = problem. Sell, sell, sell!

+ If you've been playing the same character for, like, 1,500 hours, time to start a new game.

Implying that somehow it's the user at fault here for "hoarding" a huge number of items is insulting, and frankly incredibly ignorant.

Do you have any idea about the scale of data modern hardware and software can handle in a millisecond? Do you really think that a few hundreds of items can somehow overload the engine or hardware or whatever?

It's purely an error in the code, a game breaking a bug.

Szesan;n10611192 said:
Implying that somehow it's the user at fault here for "hoarding" a huge number of items is insulting, and frankly incredibly ignorant.

Do you have any idea about the scale of data modern hardware and software can handle in a millisecond? Do you really think that a few hundreds of items can somehow overload the engine or hardware or whatever?

It's purely an error in the code, a game breaking a bug.

It's not an accusation or attempt to lay blame of any sort. It's an explanation of what will occur in the engine if players maintain inventory items in their active inventory for an extended period of time. And having more inventory items in their inventory will make the problem occur more quickly.

And it isn't an "error" at all. It's the way the game was designed, and it takes an extraordinarily long time to occur. It's also not the only inventory issue that can arise. It's simply one that is extremely easy to avoid.

It's not possible to tell a computer system to do everything endlessly. Programs have limitations.

Pac-Man will glitch out at break at level 256.

Minecraft will disintegrate and become buggy when you reach the Far Lands.

Skyrim will experience physics and AI issues if FPS exceeds 60.

If you carry around the same inventory for too long in TW3, items can get borked.

So...

Stop playing Pac-Man before you get to level 256.

Don't travel too far in one direction in Minecraft.

Choose not to play Skyrim with unlimited FPS.

Avoid hoarding unneeded items in TW3.

And to be clear, it is possible to complete the entire game twice without the issue arising. If you see inventory lag / crashing, this is what may be causing it. Either regularly stash / sell unneeded items or simply don't load up on items to begin with. It's when the game is pushed way past what it was designed for that this issue arises.

Szesan;n10611192 said:

If you want some of the specifics, it's really to do with the W3UILoader, which in a nutshell is responsible for loading the icon from the game files and displaying it in the UI or HUD. If you have too many items in your inventory loading all this can become quite slow. (Anybody who has a very large number of items in their stash would know this first hand)
This problem is exacerbated the lower the specs of the system the game is running on.

This is really a limitation of scaleform, (which is what the UI is made with), its not really to do with the game's engine.

If it were just a question of the numbers and each item's unique identifier then yeah... you would be correct, you would have no problem with processing hundreds, if not thousands of items in a fraction of a second.

Top Bottom