UI for Scoiatel ability

+
UI for Scoiatel ability

I was about to wrote rant about power of Scoiatel, especially about how hard is this faction for beginners, which I still plan to do. But it occur to me, that simple change to UI could make at least little more friendly to beginners. At the beginning I had no idea who will play first in next round, so I wasted many uses of Scoia ability to change it to outcome that would happen normally. And even know I'm not completely sure how this works when round ends in draw. And it really does not help there is really small window to make your choice, even now (lvl 50) I missed / misclicked it few times and at the beginning I usually run out of time before making decision how to use it. So I think it will be really useful to change UI to only 2 options: not use (and in bracket there will be who will start next turn or that coin will decide), and us it to let player X begins. There will still be 3 options for first round, also little bigger time window for decision will be nice.

Yeah winner of last round plays first in rounds 2 & 3. As a general strategy, I ignore coin flip in round 1.

Assuming you win round 1, make them start round 2. If you lose round 2, they'll have to start round 3. If you win round 2, round 3 is irrelevant (since you've already won two rounds).

Assuming you lose round 1, ignore it again round 2. They will have to start round 2. If you win round 2, make them start round 3 first.

This way you are guaranteed to have them start at least two out of three rounds. It's even possible to make them do all three rounds as first player if the coin picks them in round 1.

Of course I know how this works now, but I had no idea when I started playing. Also who play first in case of draw? Also I play Scoia quite lot now, not because I think they are strong but because I like challenge. So I understand how this ability works and where are advantages, but it is really hard for beginners to use it correctly. And I agree, in 100 case out of 100, you should let decide coin in first round and than let start opponent when you won. But than why we have other choices? To confuse new player to make wrong choice?

Also I still think that Scoia have worst faction ability, that is only useful if you are able to keep card parity with opponent, which is another concept that is hard to get for beginner. But I will keep this discussion for new topic where I want analyse Scoia in more depth.

Last edited:
Hrm yeah, I agree that the Scoia "who goes first" GUI could use some improvements.

- In the start, I wasn't aware that "ignore" means "ignore for this round, then you can chose again next round!".
- I timed out with my decision at times, even though I did not ponder the decision too long. Not sure if there are wonky timer issues.
- I have to keep in mind who won last round, because the GUI seems to cover up the round-winning crown icons. Yeaaaah, that's not the most excessively difficult memorization test, but after a bunch of matches, things can get blurry.
- I apparently randomly clicked "I go first" when I meant to "ignore" a few times now. Maybe I should just stop waving my mousecursor around so much in tune with the scoia battle music.

Speaking of that GUI and timers. I have issues with the coin indicating that it is my turn being BLUE when I play against Northern. "Northern is blue. Opponent is Northern. Coin is blue. Must be opponent's turn. Why does opponent take so long? Oh wait!"

That happened a couple of times now. Particularly after a trap just blew up in opponent's face and his devilish next card move was canceled.

I think opponents have similar issues after Francesca-style mulligan action, too. Opponents often sat there, waiting patiently for a long time after these mulligans.

Top Bottom