Ultimate kegs replacing base kegs

+
whats going to happen with already owned but unopened neutral kegs?

- There are no "neutral kegs" and i think i speak for most of the players when i say that it would be great to have "neutral kegs" introduced to the game, as it would really help players get a lot of cards we're missing.
You must be referring to the all time regular "base kegs".

- A good question you got there, i assume that the "base kegs" will be replaced by the so called...lol
"Ultimate kegs" and yes, I'm laughing hard because they called them ultimate whilst reducing our chances of getting the cards we want by increasing essentially the duplicates we get and at the same time boasting that they will let us have em at the same price.

You can't make this stuff up... :coolstory:
...just mind-blowing...:giveup:

- I have been saving gold for some time now, i will spend what i got on the base set kegs and open them while i still have the chance...

Last edited:
@nehu: all NORMAL Base Set Kegs in players' possession will be replaced by Ultimate Kegs (CDPR's post).

I'm yet to find any official info what will happen to PREMIUM Base Set Kegs (as they are also in Reward Book).

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
it's good if CDPR adds Ultimate Kegs and changes Base Kegs from Reward Tree, Daily Login, etc to Ultimate Kegs.
it's not good when CDPR also "remove" the Base Kegs. I don't concern much about myself. I played Gwent for almost 5 months now and I don't have 31 neutral epics and 36 neutral legendary in Base Set which I can gradually craft the card I want to play later.

But I worry about the new players who lack of resources. How hard they can find neutral cards.

It would be a big hype if:
1. As I mentioned earlier -- CDPR have a plan to launch Neutral Keg in nearly future or
2. CDPR is going to implement duplicate protection when open kegs.

but there is no such an announcement which I assume they don't have a plan for that.

am I the only one thinking this is the first step to remove all exp kegs from the shop in future?
Well, it could certainly be interpreted like that, especially with another expansion coming later this year.
I sure hope that won't happen, though.

I'm glad to see the ultimate kegs comes,it could let us easier to collect all expand cards:coolstory:
because I collected most of the base set cards.
but for the new player,it’s hard to collect the base set cards when the base set kegs gone.
they have to cost more xp to make the base set cards.:think:

So, if I understood correctly, Ultimate Kegs will also contain cards from card sets, right? I mean, I also have a chance to get cards from sets like "Crimson Curse" and "Merchants of Ofir" in Ultimate Kegs, right?

So, if I understood correctly, Ultimate Kegs will also contain cards from card sets, right? I mean, I also have a chance to get cards from sets like "Crimson Curse" and "Merchants of Ofir" in Ultimate Kegs, right?
You can get all the expansion and base set repeat cards.:smart:

yes.
which might be good for new players who does not have much cards in any sets.

however, when that players open set kegs and complete the majority of any sets or a few sets. Then, Ultimate Kegs is worst than specific set keg because it likely to get duplicate cards rather than the new card.

furthermore if players does not have any cards on specific set then they should open that set instead of Ultimate Kegs.

moreover, players will collect cards in base set harder especially the neutral cards of base set which from now on it will available in ultimate kegs but I doubt that they likely to get duplicate cards, which end up to players have to spend scrap to craft cards in base set -- not only gold but also bronze since it is tough to find the missing neutral bronze card from ultimate kegs.

The more I think about this new feature, the more I feel it's another nerf.

yes.
which might be good for new players who does not have much cards in any sets.

however, when that players open set kegs and complete the majority of any sets or a few sets. Then, Ultimate Kegs is worst than specific set keg because it likely to get duplicate cards rather than the new card.

furthermore if players does not have any cards on specific set then they should open that set instead of Ultimate Kegs.

moreover, players will collect cards in base set harder especially the neutral cards of base set which from now on it will available in ultimate kegs but I doubt that they likely to get duplicate cards, which end up to players have to spend scrap to craft cards in base set -- not only gold but also bronze since it is tough to find the missing neutral bronze card from ultimate kegs.

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining me in details.

I guess I was naive. I assumed that nearly the entire playerbase would immediately recognize this for the significant nerf to card acquisition that it is. If they follow this up by removing all expansion kegs, which looks likely given their tweets, then I would honestly expect that players will have to open up at least twice as many kegs in order to fully complete their card collections.

The unfortunate truth is that this will not bring about their goal and noticeably increase keg sales, as almost no one purchases kegs because they feel that they need to do so; I'm fairly certain that in the past, most of the people who spent real money on kegs did so because they liked the company and were happy that Gwent existed. This keg change will just be one more thing that will make new players abandon Gwent.

I guess I was naive. I assumed that nearly the entire playerbase would immediately recognize this for the significant nerf to card acquisition that it is. If they follow this up by removing all expansion kegs, which looks likely given their tweets, then I would honestly expect that players will have to open up at least twice as many kegs in order to fully complete their card collections.

The unfortunate truth is that this will not bring about their goal and noticeably increase keg sales, as almost no one purchases kegs because they feel that they need to do so; I'm fairly certain that in the past, most of the people who spent real money on kegs did so because they liked the company and were happy that Gwent existed. This keg change will just be one more thing that will make new players abandon Gwent.

I have enough scrap to make literally every card I don’t have, and then some. I also have 95+% of all cards, and I have a major problem with this. Moreover, that problem goes beyond simple principle. I just got to prestige 10 last month. Using that perk and several others I was able to get every common and rare premium from every expansion. That said, I use base kegs to fill in the base common and rare premiums. Taking this away forces me to waste powder completing it which takes away from getting the epic and legendary. This undermines all the time I spent getting to prestige 10. I feel like they keep giving me reasons to not play. Every month they botch something else. I wonder how many other beta players and homecoming players think this way.

Yep, I see through it too. I've seen this too many times now since Homecoming launched. It has been one resource nerf after another, some more stealthy than others, often under the guise of "improving things for the players", or "whoops, that was a 'bug' ".

When they say "We already have the problem of having too many keg variations in the shop", it speaks volumes. All the different keg varieties are not a problem for the players, they are a big benefit. If anything, the players would like one or two more specific keg varieties.

When they originally started offering faction kegs and expansion kegs, that really was generous to the players. It helped us target specific groups of cards that we were missing. Now it looks like they may have decided to start rolling that back.

Of course, this potential nerf could go like many other recent resource nerfs. The change is made, people soon realise what they've lost and the backlash starts, the nerf is softened a bit to placate us. Rinse and repeat. Little by little, they reclaim more ground against their over-generosity from the early days.

I don't blame them. It may even be necessary from a business perspective. I'd just rather be told openly if that's the case.

Have to join the "not a fan" side of this debate.
TBH one of the main joys I derive from the game is getting new cards (there may be a hoarder lost in me somewhere) - theres 144 cards total I dont have and outside of the Rewards book I havent opened anything BAR neutral kegs in the last 100 odd kegs.
I'm missing 53 neutral cards, which I want (how a full collection will improve my life I'm unsure, but I want them)
Its already nigh on impossible to get cards you dont already have, and I'm not sure how the algorithm determines which cards are in a keg, I'd suggest its a lazy one, as invariably when I open 10-15 kegs I will have 2-3 cards I get 3/4/5 times
"Ultimate Kegs" may stop me getting 5 Dol Blathanna Bowmen in 10 kegs because theres now 5 times the possibilities in the keg but its going to make rounding out sets far more difficult.

Just to depress myself a little more I worked out that I will need 115k scraps to finish my collections and thats just in the base option, (BEFORE any new expansions argh) I think I'll just take whatever premium comes my way - although I know that when (if) I finish the card collections, then I'll have to have them moving.....

Anyone know if theres a GA (Gwent anonymous) meeting?

I have read the arguments, but disagree. It is time to upgrade the base set keg. This keg has been around for 3 years, most of the cards in it have been power crept out of the meta, and most of the existing player base has a full playable set of base cards.

I have the full set of all cards now, and you have to craft and transmute quite a number of base set cards to do so. I had 53 legendaries to craft, 37 from the base set when i finally broke down and gave up trying to pull them from packs.

I love pulling cards from packs, it was my first job in the 80s when i worked in a card and comic shop. I learned then that every chase card was not shipped to every region of the country, to promote collectiblity. The passage of time has only enforced that basic tenet. most games, Gwent included, have algorithms that will not let you pull every card just from packs (or whatever other randomizer they use.)

So if having a keg dedicated to the base set does not help you pull the last remaining cards from the base set, might as well open it to all sets. At least that way, some cards from future sets are guaranteed.

As someone who owns the whole base set I completely understand how this is bad for new players. I do however understand the need to reduce the number of kegs on sale. Especially once a few more kegs are released.

What about rotating kegs out? For example after a game year or two(year of the boar), release year of the boar kegs, removing specific expansion kegs.. That gives any new players the opportunity to gain kegs across the year and able to collect neutral base set kegs. This way could lead to both ultimate and base set kegs into shop without filling it with more.

Top Bottom