Ultimate kegs replacing base kegs

+

Update 7.3 is dropping next week on October 1st and we wanted to inform you about a small change beforehand: We will be replacing base set kegs with ultimate kegs.

Ultimate kegs include all existing cards from the game while base set kegs only included cards from the base set.

Besides the shop, most people will notice this change in the reward tree where base set kegs will also be replaced with the more interesting ultimate kegs.

Oh and one more note from Shupe: The price stays the same!

Good luck and keep smashing!

Lexor

Forum veteran
Swapping base set kegs to ultimate kegs in reward trees is a good change, but we still need base set kegs in shop to be able to complete our collection of cards by set. No possibility to buy base set kegs puts a lot of RNG on getting base set cards.

About damn time. I was kinda getting tired of the way kegs were organized. For a long time I wanted kegs that contained all cards from all factions, rather than dividing them into factions kegs, base set kegs and expansion set kegs like it is now.

Once again the baby is out with the bath water. Yes we need a keg that can have literally any card from any collection, but no that does not mean we don’t need a keg that allows us to target base cards. You literally have speciality kegs from every expansion, why can’t you also have a keg for the original cards before the expansion. Just another mismanagement in a string of them lately. Getting rid of faction challenge during journey is another. Or how about reducing reward points during Gaunters and then incorrectly telling the player base that the rewards were the same. Not to mention several of the new contracts from MM are still broken and arena is going down for months with nothing to replace it. I could go on, but my point is made.

This is the one change that will probably make me actually quit Gwent. I've been on the fence for a while because of all the glitches, balance issues, and increased monetization of the game via Journey, but I still had some hope for the future; however, eliminating one of the primary ways to obtain cards directly interferes with my ability to expand my card collection. Because of how many cards are in the Base Set, it's already difficult enough to pull new Epics and Legendaries out of the existing Base Set kegs. Now, it will be truly impossible, and CDPR shouldn't force newer players to craft every single Epic/Legendary in the Base Set.

The new keg that CDPR should add to Shup shop is "Neutral Kegs", not ultimate kegs.

Players will complete their faction cards from factions keg. they will open set kegs to find neutral in each expansion. then, only Base set neutral cards are missing.

Ultimate kegs offer lower chance to get neutral cards from base set but increase a lot of chance to get duplicate cards from factions cards in any sets.

I doubt that this kegs will drive sale.

base set was already the hardest to collect due to how many neutrals and total # of cards there are.
this simply makes the collection process even more difficult and dependent on crafting from scraps, which hurts and detracts newer players but has no effect on players that's 2+ years and completed collection

better to keep base set kegs and just introduce the ultimate kegs as a new purchase/reward tree option

Players will complete their faction cards from factions keg. they will open set kegs to find neutral in each expansion.
That's actually wrong way to complete collection of cards. New player should buy faction kegs only if he/she does not have any playable deck. As soon as he/she has one, he/she should start buying only expansion kegs. Nobody should buy faction kegs to complete faction cards collection.

And that way is also the reason why base set kegs should stay in shop.
Change of base set kegs to ultimate kegs is good for things like reward tree, Arena or daily keg, but not for the in-game shop.

Last edited:
Well.. for me since I already have lots of cards from the base set, this won't be too bad.. BUT if I was new to this game and wanted to get cards from the base set I'd be pretty much screwed by this. :/ I wish they let us have both kegs at the same time! That would be perfect!
I mean the idea of having both kegs is so damn obvious the way to do it I am amazed at how they didn't think to do it... or did but then decided it's better this way lol.

New players also need other kegs, not just base ones. So this benefits them as well.

Honestly can't stand how negative this community is and kudos to CDPR for putting up with us.

New players also need other kegs, not just base ones. So this benefits them as well.

Honestly can't stand how negative this community is and kudos to CDPR for putting up with us.

As a new player myself (been playing less than a month), having no way to get targeted base kegs is quite a hindrance. For every expansion I can buy its specific kegs, finish my collection, and move on to another set of kegs. With the introduction of ultimate kegs the pool of base set cards is now diluted by every other card.

While I understand the upgrade of reward tree kegs to ultimate, I'm really seeing no reason why we can't have both base and ultimate kegs in the shop.

No this move will be a big nerf for new players as well.
I agree that new players need "other kegs", but they also should have direct option to get cards from ONLY base set.

Base set has the most cards, so it already was difficult to hunt for specific card from the base set.

And that's the reason for all this "negativity" you can see. In theory such keg replacement looks good but in details is not as it introduces a lot of RNG for the players who would like to complete their base set by buying kegs.

To be honest the game is so generous that this is just a little change...
Just play a little and you will get a lot... I mean, it's a real free to play, can't understandcomplains for this..

Once again the baby is out with the bath water. Yes we need a keg that can have literally any card from any collection, but no that does not mean we don’t need a keg that allows us to target base cards. You literally have speciality kegs from every expansion, why can’t you also have a keg for the original cards before the expansion. Just another mismanagement in a string of them lately. Getting rid of faction challenge during journey is another. Or how about reducing reward points during Gaunters and then incorrectly telling the player base that the rewards were the same. Not to mention several of the new contracts from MM are still broken and arena is going down for months with nothing to replace it. I could go on, but my point is made.
- Fully agree with you man...removing base set kegs does not help new players complete their collection.
This makes no sense to me and yeah CDPR has been messing around with rewards and events for quite some time now, this is not good.

The new keg that CDPR should add to Shup shop is "Neutral Kegs", not ultimate kegs.

Ultimate kegs offer lower chance to get neutral cards from base set but increase a lot of chance to get duplicate cards from factions cards in any sets.

I doubt that these kegs will drive sales.
- Yes, indeed, we need neutral kegs most than anything tbh, imo these new kegs will make things harder for those who want to complete the base set collection.
We're gonna be farming now to craft the base set's cards with all the duplicates we will get...meh.

- Man, seriously..? :disapprove:
[...]
People have stated why this is a bad move by the devs and how it's not in the player base's best interest, the reasons are quoted in my post.
There ya go,
you're welcome btw... :howdy:
Post automatically merged:

Update 7.3 is dropping next week on October 1st and we wanted to inform you about a small change beforehand: We will be replacing base set kegs with ultimate kegs.

Ultimate kegs include all existing cards from the game while base set kegs only included cards from the base set.

Besides the shop, most people will notice this change in the reward tree where base set kegs will also be replaced with the more interesting ultimate kegs.

Oh and one more note from Shupe: The price stays the same!

Good luck and keep smashing!

Aw... one last thing... calling them kegs "Ultimate" doesn't actually make em better than the normal ones and keeping the same price while you are nerfing our chances to get what we want, well... i wouldn't call that a "favor" either, just a subtle marketing move to "trick" the masses who don't stop to think for just one minute what and how this changes the game.
You should thank God there's no dislike button for posts in here... you wouldn't like the outcome i bet .

Last edited:
This is definitely not a good idea. I've been working my way through the various expansions but most of the cards that i'm still missing are from the base set. I am not interested in the "ultimate" keg. If you really want to, CDPR, add the "ultimate" but keep the base set kegs. I appreciate the economic model and this is why I've been buying kegs with the expansions. That being said, I really dislike this "ultimate replacing base" idea. Please reconsider.

Neutral base cards are already the hardest cards to get from kegs, and this just makes it that much harder. Not a fan of this idea... :(

Top Bottom