Ultimate Toruviel Play

+
Ultimate Toruviel Play

I found a strategy that is really funny to play, you essentially boost the heck out of Toruviel and play her as a guessing game for the opponent.

Goes without saying you'll need some Hawker supports & Vrihedd Dragoons to get her there. Maybe also a Decoy/Operator for an extra support.

If you have won the first round it can be a really powerful play, as you can put her down and then let your opponent keep putting down cards until they think they are safe in the 2nd round, then when they pass with 20 points on the field over flips Toruviel who's been boosted to some crazy number. (Highest I've done is 32)

If you use her on her own it's more likely that the opponent will think you're playing Morenn or a Sapper, and will just pass thinking they won't flip around.

Easy round win!

the funniest play would be if, after the opponent meticulously counts up the Boosts you played in round 1 and plays 20+ extra power in round 2 against Toruviel long after you passed, it turns out you boosted entirely different cards which will be huge in round 3!

This has been a thing since the start of Closed Beta. There were a lot of interesting variations throughout the period, including buffing Roach or Aelirenn up to the broken play of copying a buffed Toruviel with Operator.

R.I.P. ambush deck

4RM3D;n9291591 said:
R.I.P. ambush deck

A sneaky finesse to using Toruviel is the fact that she is an elf, so if you have the right number of elf units on the board when she flips Aelirenn gets played from the deck - screwing up many opponents calculations. :)

scorba;n9291461 said:
the funniest play would be if, after the opponent meticulously counts up the Boosts you played in round 1 and plays 20+ extra power in round 2 against Toruviel long after you passed, it turns out you boosted entirely different cards which will be huge in round 3!

Haha yes!! Another thing I like to do in this deck is have a King of Beggars, when you boost him he still strengthens up to 15 to match the opponent ( so essentially 15 strength + however much you boosted him by) so you lay some sappers down, let the opponent gain some points, then unleash the King, then the sappers start flipping over.

Someone tried this exact strategy with overpowered Toruviel on me the other day. Man, he was so mad when I skipped the calculations and just locked her with Margarita. Instant forfeit. :)

AmiboshiMK;n9329161 said:
Someone tried this exact strategy with overpowered Toruviel on me the other day. Man, he was so mad when I skipped the calculations and just locked her with Margarita. Instant forfeit. :)

This is the trouble with Toruvial. Everyone knows it is Toruvial the moment it hits the board. Sapper is a bad card. There are no two ways about it. This leaves two ambush units, both of which can be good. Unfortunately, any decent player can look at the board state and typically figure out which of the two you put down. Morenn is a good way to give free CA as she is a 0 point silver on a pass (and a subpar silver if she doesn't nail a priority target), and Toruvial gets locked. The moment Isengrim gets dropped it's a good bet you run both. I spent time trying to make both work. At lower MMR it can give good results. At higher MMR it doesn't without the right board state.

Restlessdingo32;n9334691 said:
This is the trouble with Toruvial. Everyone knows it is Toruvial the moment it hits the board. Sapper is a bad card. There are no two ways about it. This leaves two ambush units, both of which can be good. Unfortunately, any decent player can look at the board state and typically figure out which of the two you put down. Morenn is a good way to give free CA as she is a 0 point silver on a pass (and a subpar silver if she doesn't nail a priority target), and Toruvial gets locked. The moment Isengrim gets dropped it's a good bet you run both. I spent time trying to make both work. At lower MMR it can give good results. At higher MMR it doesn't without the right board state.

That's why is a good idea to try and fake out the enemy, use sappers like you would play Toruviel & play Toruviel on the edge rather than the middle. It's usually best to try and save Morenn for the last round when you know they can't skip on you.

Cabowse;n9339171 said:
That's why is a good idea to try and fake out the enemy, use sappers like you would play Toruviel & play Toruviel on the edge rather than the middle. It's usually best to try and save Morenn for the last round when you know they can't skip on you.

I mean, running 8 point bad cards or placing Toruvial in a sub-optimal spot to make ambush viable seems like a lot to ask. Been there, done that, poor results. The purpose of ambush is the element of surprise. It loses that when there are 3 ambush options, they are lockable and one of them is... a bad card.

Morenn in the last round isn't exactly amazing either. The strength of Morenn is her ability to pick off a unit before it's deploy ability goes off. Take that away and she is an 11 point silver. Every decent player plays around her by dropping a unit able to survive her damage or soak it before playing an important unit she can kill. Short of holding every ambush for R3 and/or running 1+ Sapper (bad card) everyone will know it's Morenn. Even if they don't they can play around it...

I've tried ambush extensively. Just about every ambush combo you can think of using I've tried to make work. At lower MMR it can work. At higher MMR it just doesn't seem all that effective because everyone knows how to handle it.

Restlessdingo32;n9343511 said:
I mean, running 8 point bad cards or placing Toruvial in a sub-optimal spot to make ambush viable seems like a lot to ask. Been there, done that, poor results. The purpose of ambush is the element of surprise. It loses that when there are 3 ambush options, they are lockable and one of them is... a bad card.

Morenn in the last round isn't exactly amazing either. The strength of Morenn is her ability to pick off a unit before it's deploy ability goes off. Take that away and she is an 11 point silver. Every decent player plays around her by dropping a unit able to survive her damage or soak it before playing an important unit she can kill. Short of holding every ambush for R3 and/or running 1+ Sapper (bad card) everyone will know it's Morenn. Even if they don't they can play around it...

I've tried ambush extensively. Just about every ambush combo you can think of using I've tried to make work. At lower MMR it can work. At higher MMR it just doesn't seem all that effective because everyone knows how to handle it.

Sappers are not bad cards at all if you use them right, it's an 8 pointer that can't be damaged for two turns. You can use them and then play epidemic, or play KoB and get all 15 strength before your sappers flip. You just have to be imaginative. Also because so few people play them your opponent is likely going to waste a lock trying to catch out a Morenn or Toruviel, which is always fun.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ambush cards simply dont work anymore. I didnt even know you cold lock them when they're upside down and still won all the matches lately against people who used them. And it's all because of the number of ambush cards: 6 was great - it was possible to predict with a little thinking but you were never completely sure. With only 3, and 1 rarely used, it just doesnt do it's job - to confuse the opponent and make him guess what the card is.

Top Bottom