Ultimate Villain suggestion

+
I don't think there should be an "ultimate villain." I would prefer there to be various self-interested powerful people, and depending on what you do, some (or all) of them become your enemy.

I would also take it in this direction. Similar to Deus Ex 1 and 2, I'd rather have a whole bunch of complex organizations misrepresenting their true goals to use the player character, then have the player uncover bits and pieces of the truth. I'd rather it be Macbeth or Sin City. There are no "good guys". Just varying degrees of villains, and the player needs to choose their path and decide what sort of pain is left in their wake.

From everything I've read, Cyberpunk is not a game system about doing good deeds and becoming a "hero", it's a world about trying to survive in spite of everything trying to consume you.

Like I said, I don't disagree with you, but IMO, the story in Witcher is not very strong, since Eredin is not a complex villain.

I can sympathize with the body of players that disliked Eredin as a villain, but I think it has more to do with the execution rather than the actual character. I love the story behind the Wild Hunt and their whole purpose. I find it hard to fault them for what they've become, as their goal is, at its core, completely noble. Obsessive, misguided, self-defeating, hopeless, but noble. Therefore, I'm not really "angry" at Eredin at the end. He's pissed me off. He's left me with no choice. I certainly can't set aside the pain he's caused or the damage he's done, but I was feeling numb. Frustrated to the point of just methodically doing what needed to be done to end it. But Eredin isn't any more of an "enemy" than Emhyr is. In fact, they're basically the same person working to build different empires for the same reasons.

Eredin's execution (as a character) may have been a bit too "one note". Maybe a bit predictable. I would have approached the visual design of the Wild Hunt differently, myself.

I think things that looked like pure phantoms. Perhaps roughly human in shape. Maybe flashes of things that resembled faces or limbs at times, but otherwise ghostly forms that were impossible to focus on clearly. Weapons that were more implied than visible. If they wished to "reveal" themselves, they might briefly appear something like the distorted forms of the Nazgul from the Lord of the Rings films:

However, it's all just "technology". Literally magical costumes they wear. I would have loved for Eredin to confront Geralt and let the illusion completely dissolve. Pull off his "mask", and underneath is a tired, age-lined elf. Without the vocal distortion, he sounds much like an older man, growing perhaps a little infirm. He's regretful of the hardships he's caused; haunted and tortured by the choices he's made. But, still obsessed with following his vision through, regardless of the cost to himself or anyone else.

A ton of good ideas here. I'd like to see a corporate villain that came from a rougher, more violent place. The perfect 2077 villain would be one that almost resembles a version of V that made different choices. Like he/she was playing his/her own RPG before our game started. Some of the AI ideas here are also fun, but I think an Agent Smith-esque, body-jumping AI would be the perfect henchman for a more human ultimate villain. Maybe an entire enemy type could stem from one artificial being that ties back to some ruthless mastermind who knows the Night City streets as well as you do.

Honestly anything works as long as they don't go with some generic mustache twirler.

Yay, someone finally agree with my idea of AI villain lol, being the OP that is rewarding.

Yeh, other ideas such cooperations as the villain type is also cool, but ultimately what I really want is the story to be epic, and epicness cannot be forced.
A example would be ESV:Skyrim, the main story start off as quite epic, when we fought the first dragon, but fall short when we finally fight the big bad dragon villain in the Nord's Heaven, everything is just so vanilla and weak at that point, the complexity of the villain is so simple, a bad guy who just want to devour the world... So cliche, so..boring, all we need to do is just to kill him, that just too classic and way too easy.
Many of the side quests are way better than the main story questline.

No matter who the villain are, the main story needs to focus a lot of the story so it will be remembered for a long time to come, at least for me.

Games like Bioshock infinite actually have tons of flaws in the gameplay, but a great story and ending covered most of it's weak point, making it one of the most memorable game for me in all the game I played, and I really want that to happen in Cyberpunk.
I bring up this game as a example because it is also a first person shooting game like Cyberpunk 2077
Post automatically merged:

I would also take it in this direction. Similar to Deus Ex 1 and 2, I'd rather have a whole bunch of complex organizations misrepresenting their true goals to use the player character, then have the player uncover bits and pieces of the truth. I'd rather it be Macbeth or Sin City. There are no "good guys". Just varying degrees of villains, and the player needs to choose their path and decide what sort of pain is left in their wake.

From everything I've read, Cyberpunk is not a game system about doing good deeds and becoming a "hero", it's a world about trying to survive in spite of everything trying to consume you.

I can sympathize with the body of players that disliked Eredin as a villain, but I think it has more to do with the execution rather than the actual character. I love the story behind the Wild Hunt and their whole purpose. I find it hard to fault them for what they've become, as their goal is, at its core, completely noble. Obsessive, misguided, self-defeating, hopeless, but noble. Therefore, I'm not really "angry" at Eredin at the end. He's pissed me off. He's left me with no choice. I certainly can't set aside the pain he's caused or the damage he's done, but I was feeling numb. Frustrated to the point of just methodically doing what needed to be done to end it. But Eredin isn't any more of an "enemy" than Emhyr is. In fact, they're basically the same person working to build different empires for the same reasons.

Eredin's execution (as a character) may have been a bit too "one note". Maybe a bit predictable. I would have approached the visual design of the Wild Hunt differently, myself.

I think things that looked like pure phantoms. Perhaps roughly human in shape. Maybe flashes of things that resembled faces or limbs at times, but otherwise ghostly forms that were impossible to focus on clearly. Weapons that were more implied than visible. If they wished to "reveal" themselves, they might briefly appear something like the distorted forms of the Nazgul from the Lord of the Rings films:

However, it's all just "technology". Literally magical costumes they wear. I would have loved for Eredin to confront Geralt and let the illusion completely dissolve. Pull off his "mask", and underneath is a tired, age-lined elf. Without the vocal distortion, he sounds much like an older man, growing perhaps a little infirm. He's regretful of the hardships he's caused; haunted and tortured by the choices he's made. But, still obsessed with following his vision through, regardless of the cost to himself or anyone else.

Yeh, basically the confrontation is mostly fighting, while the fighting mechanism is cool, and battle at the witcher castle is great, but ultimately the story development becomes quite simple after we found Ciri.

Your version of Eredin already seem more complex and in depth than the game, and that is the problem I have with Witcher 3, the main story can be improve way more for the game to be even greater.

I guess maybe I asked for too much, because building a big open world game is difficult, it is understandable the main story and villain didn't reach the epic level.
But I stand my position that having a great epic story with surprising twists, it will be better than making more complex game mechanisms. And I hope that happens in Cyberpunk 2077.

Too be honest, it is like the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, the original teaser trailer with the sexy lady in mantis blade arms, even not many information is given to us, the trailer still looks cool and mysterious and interesting.

The new annoucement trailer is actually not as good compare to that, maybe because they trying not to reveal too much of the game story, but it is still not as good as the teaser trailer, IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom