Ultra settings not being shown until release - is this true?

+
I am thinking this one is on Ultra but can't know of course, but no way this is on High settings :rly?:

It'd really not make sense to tie Hairworks into another setting or preset only.

If a player wishes to say, use medium textures so that they can enable hairworks they should have that choice.

It'd really not make sense to tie Hairworks into another setting or preset only.

If a player wishes to say, use medium textures so that they can enable hairworks they should have that choice.

I am absolutly sure that we will be able to control Hairworks seperatly. Not everyone who wants to play on Ultra has an Nvidia Cart. an r9 290 is more than strong enough for ultra on raw power. But it crumbles under Nvidia exclusive features. I dont think CDPR would limit the options that way

I am thinking this one is on Ultra but can't know of course, but no way this is on High settings :rly?:

Well this part also looks stunning but I'd be surprised if they show ultra now without explicitly mentioning it

So far all the games with HairWorks/TressFX (COD: Ghosts, FarCry 4, Tomb Raider, Lichdom Battlemage) allowed us to enable/disable them independently so I think that will be the case with TW3 also.

Everything CDPR has been doing so far is PR. I don't understand why they can't get someone to sit down and take 1 hour to address all our concerns.

On Ultra: "We won't show Ultra before release. We're saving this for when you buy the game. We want to give you a bit of a slap across the face"
On the downgrade: "Some areas will look better, some will look worse"
On console footage: ... No console footage yet, one month before release.
On the camera settings: "We are looking for better options for the camera (namely zooming)" -> turns out the camera is locked
On the pre-load time on Steam: ... nothing
On the paid DLC bundle released a week ago while people having already pre-ordered the main game: ...?

Discussion about any of those issues is pure speculation. Some people (are still) and have been discussing about a downgrade for months, even on the most recent topic I've looked up today, discussions about the grass resolution, the denser foliage and the global illumination and how 'Ultra' will supposedly fix *everything*. (Note that I am not discussing about it anymore, but some people still are). How there's a 'PS4 graphics', a 'no console footage?', a 'No Ultra shown before release?' thread on the first page. Why are these community members so desperately hoping that creating giant threads with tens of pages filled with human thoughts will somehow lead to a definite consensus? It's obvious that CDPR doesn't *want* to answer any of the questions we have for them. They've left their biggest fans in the dark for the past 6 months.

Whoa whoa, I never said thay HairWorks would be tied to a preset! :) It's the PC version, of course everything would be tweakable. I was just merely stating the fact that not everything is on, in the last trailer :) It might be a mix of Ultra and High though, I can't know that.

@hamilcarBarca.196 Busy baiting in every thread ;)

Everything CDPR has been doing so far is PR. I don't understand why they can't get someone to sit down and take 1 hour to address all our concerns.

On Ultra: "We won't show Ultra before release. We're saving this for when you buy the game. We want to give you a bit of a slap across the face"
On the downgrade: "Some areas will look better, some will look worse"
On console footage: ... No console footage yet, one month before release.
On the camera settings: "We are looking for better options for the camera (namely zooming)" -> turns out the camera is locked
On the pre-load time on Steam: ... nothing
On the paid DLC bundle released a week ago while people having already pre-ordered the main game: ...?

Discussion about any of those issues is pure speculation. Some people (are still) and have been discussing about a downgrade for months, even on the most recent topic I've looked up today, discussions about the grass resolution, the denser foliage and the global illumination and how 'Ultra' will supposedly fix *everything*. (Note that I am not discussing about it anymore, but some people still are). How there's a 'PS4 graphics', a 'no console footage?', a 'No Ultra shown before release?' thread on the first page. Why are these community members so desperately hoping that creating giant threads with tens of pages filled with human thoughts will somehow lead to a definite consensus? It's obvious that CDPR doesn't *want* to answer any of the questions we have for them. They've left their biggest fans in the dark for the past 6 months.

Long answer short, it's their game and they decide what to answer right now and what to skip for the time being. As fans of the game we can ask them questions of course and show whatever concerns we have and if they decide not to answer then we'll have to wait, ultimately we'll get answers when the game is released after one month and to be honest they are addressing whatever they can, Miles Tost answered a long journal of fan questions revealing a lot of information, another journal has been submitted to @Kinley (don't know when they will be answered), Damien answered a lot of questions on twitter, they gave unrestricted hands on demo to GameStar again revealing a lot of information (also the most anticipated info about requirements for ultra) so I can't complain about this, if they are not answering couple of things for now then I'll wait. Of course I also have couple of concerns about graphics and how does it look on ultra but eventually I will see the game myself and then we'll have tons of info to discuss about.

Last edited:
It's obvious that CDPR doesn't *want* to answer any of the questions we have for them. They've left their biggest fans in the dark for the past 6 months.

We-ell, I'd say you had the first part correct, although, "not wanting" vs "too busy to care/don't consider it a priority" might be the question.

The second part, about "their biggest fans" and being left in the dark for six months, now that, that could use a quick address.

If you are a huge fan of a company or artist, then you probably aren't hyper-critical, in the suspicious, doubting sense, of that artist's work, how they achieve it or what they tell you about it beforehand. Big U2 fans, for example, gobble up their "how we did it" stuff, but are more positively receptive than non U2 fans before content hits.
A huge fan is much more likely to be forgiving, much more forgiving than other fans and definitely more than a regular consumer type. That's just being a huge fan of any product. You give the artist or creator big passes on everything, even past the point of reason.

Otherwise, you're more like a standard consumer of the product - conservative, judging on details and if you're a serious consumer in the field, probably fussier than most consumers. Less willing to give a free pass to a producer or artist than a fan or super fan.

Now, as for being a huge fan of CDPR, well. CDPR is known for writing, setting, characterization and, lately, after Witcher 2, graphics. Technical achievement, in-game options, console details, friendly upper-end graphics settings, Steam details...nope. They aren't reknown for those particularly. Valve, maybe. CDPR, not so much.

As far as writing and characterization, they've given us many juicy details, building on previous story content. Setting, they keep showing and telling us stuff. I don't think any fan, never mind a super-fan, has reasonable cause for complaint.

Graphics, well, they've shown us much. By far, the overall reception from reviewers and most consumers has been positive. By far. A cursory check on previews and gameplay, even youtube comments, are positive, often glowing. Many people new to CDPR's work I've seen posting quite pleasantly or showing great interest. And those aren't "fans". Not yet. Just gamers who like a good-looking game with great characters.

If nothing else, you can define a fan of a producer or artist by their confidence in that artist's ability to produce content they, the fan, will like. Even love.

Sustained doubts about the product of an artist or content producer wouldn't be indicative, to me, of confidence in that artist's work at all. Quite the opposite.

In short, I'd say CDPR isn't leaving its biggest fans in the dark at all. Speaking as one, I feel I've had to go to -extra- effort to stay ignorant of juicy, delicious details and images, and by far the majority of what I have seen, just looks better and better.

But that's because I am a huge fan of their work. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Do the settings go Low > Medium > High > Ultra or is there a very high?

I believe they mentioned in one of the interviews there is Very High setting as well, but have no idea where or when it was mentioned, If you want to spend about an hour or two searching, I'm sure you will find something

What about us PC gamers that have been with them since 2007 ?
Alienating their core fan base is also an issue.

Often a real dilemma, but I think it is definitely better to say "this is what you can expect for consoles as well" or "consoles will not be SIGNIFICANTLY worse in graphics" when only having showcased "High" settings rather than showing "ultra" and saying "well, of course consoles will be way worse, they can't handle more"

Ultra settings for witcher games have always been a post mortem sort of feature to me. It's so the game still looks good 5 or even 10 years after release, when peoples computers can easily handle ultra. It's not really intended to be the normal setting on release. Publishing screens of such a version would be viewed by many as a fake tease.

---------- Updated at 09:11 PM ----------

also i guess our cdprojekt accounts can't be accessed any more and only GOG? ok.

The geforce 970 / 980 amd 290x /280x/ 780 / 780 ti are cards that many people have the money for buy it . There a no expensive and in terms of Horse power any game well optimized could be run at Ultra settings (at least 30 Fps ) . Just run Fire Strike extreme / Valley and Heaven benchmarks with those cards and see what happend . My 780 ti use 1.5 gb vram with Tesselattion Extreme at 67 fps average (1920x1080 max out ) . You can pick up for 300usd . I think witcher 3 at ultra setting Old build would perfectly run at 30 fps .

Games like Ac unity crap Hide the true power of these cards. That is why i dont agree Ultra settings is impossible to run at 30fps

Sorry for my english

where are the people complaining about semi volumetric and volumetric clouds?

*Raises hand*
If I may chime in. I'm not one of the people complaining about this, but I've been a bit sceptical about the extent to which semi-volumetric clouds are actually in the game, since the latest trailer.
Reason being, is that every trailer/ screenshot after the SoD trailer, has not shown any semi-volumetric clouds at all in the main open world. Not a single one.
The only place we've seen it since the SoD trailer, is in Kaer Morhen, the smaller instanced map, like that gif you quoted shows.
Semi-volumetric clouds have been present in every piece of Kaer Morhen material we've seen.
Yet when it comes to the actual open world, not one. They say it's weather dependent, but to not see them even once after all the different weather conditions we've seen is a bit weird.
At this point it seems to me as if it they were cut from the actual open world because it was a performance budget issue, and only in Kaer Morhen since it's a separated, smaller map and wouldn't be as restricted performance budget wise.

Now this is the part where I repeat that I'm not saying this as truth, just as scepticism that I hold right now based on everything I've seen so far.
If it is the case, then it's a shame, but I have hope in CDPR, as we all do here. So here's hoping.

And if I may say something about your actual message, there is nothing wrong with people having brought up the discussion of no semi-volumetric clouds in the first place.
They were just basing their thoughts on observation of the material we've seen since SoD. To belittle them or to brush them off over legitimate concerns because it's seen as saying something negative about the game, is the exact sort of mentality, bordering on fanboyism as "such and such can do no wrong!", that prevents any sort of healthy discussion taking place.

I fail to see how the definition of what a true fan is has any bearing on the topic at hand, which is whether or not Ultra should be shown before release.

Claims REDs «[are] too busy to care/don't consider it a priority» pose several challenges to the claimer. First off, they did manage to find the time to comment on Ultra. Both Damien and the North American community manager made some public remarks on the matter. Secondly, as for Ultra footage not being a priority, that's a rather peculiar stance to adopt considering the number of people who've confessed to having upgraded just to play the game on the highest settings, that number representing but a small fraction of the bigger crowd who's been swayed by TW3 graphics to hop on board for the first time in the series. To me both facts strongly suggest showing the game at its peak would attract an even greater following.

No, none of those explanations are even remotely convincing. There just seems to be a persistent unease with which REDs tackle these matters. As a matter of fact, the determination to not show Ultra is perfectly in line with their clumsy all the way up to catastrophic handling of the hypothetical downgrade polemic. Anything that might potentially contend with the official creed of platform parity seems to throw their PR for a loop, so much that, case in point, a few comments elicited one of the most memorable posts ever, by the North American community manager no less, as well as the deeply mysterious decision to enforce the official Witcher forums as just about the sole place on the internet where the hypothetical downgrade can no longer be discussed.

I'm not the first person to notice this discomfort. It can’t have escaped many PS4 footage hasn't been explicitly shown either. Consider the following exchange, transcribed by Dualshockers :

Source: Dmaien Momier’s Twitter Account

Michał Hryszko ‏@MadYarpen Mar 29
@Bacon_is_life Any news regarding PS4 gameplay? Or is the silence caused by some Microsoft contract?

Damien Monnier‏@Bacon_is_life
@MadYarpen sometimes our fans understand us more than we can say. Don't worry about a thing. You have my word.

Dameien’s reply is significant, even in its cryptic form. As I interpret it, it suggests that showing PS4 gameplay – and thus, by extension, Ultra - would be seen as potentially upsetting to Microsoft, whose much needed help with PR has been recruited by CD Projekt RED. The reason is it might be perceived as placing the Xbox One under an unfavourable light. Now, I have sub-zero interest in so-called platform wars, but, by Damien's own admission, the matter does seem to have played a role in the decision to not show Ultra before release.

That's a far more persuasive explanation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom