Ultra settings not being shown until release - is this true?

+
:hmm:

Still, if you take a look, in a few clips of the last trailer it's possible to see huge improvements in terms of poligons, light, textures, vegetation and terrain which makes me think that ultra settings are enabled or at least that a lot of filters are actives...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwe_WHARdc

Watch at : 00:006 - 00:10 to 00:13 - 00:29 to 00:42(3D/volumetric clouds when the camera goes up) - 00:59 - 01:25 - 02:00 to 02:05 - 02:21 to 00:23 - 02:29 - 02:41 to 02:45 - 02:51 to 02:56 - 03:18 to 03:24 - 03:41 - 03:50 - 03:56 - 04:19 to 04:21

These are the main spots where i've noticed the changes... (if you have dowloaded the uncompresed version of the video it's better obviously)

:cheers:

No it doesn't because it still looks worse then VGX/Sword of Destiny.

Actually I remember them saying somewhere that some areas look better while some look worse. Not in a manner of they are still working to fix the worse areas but the game will have places where it's more beautiful than others.

Now after watching the last trailer uncompressed version, there is a moment where it shows Geralt drawing his sword with those drawings/words on it and then making a face like he wants to cut something specific badly.
Anyway that moment shows Geralt exactly the same as he was shown between Yennefer and Triss in the SoD trailer, precisely same quality.
I imagine the trailer shows different qualities of the game or something but what I mentioned above is definitely the same graphic quality.
There was sometime a post here about downgrade showing Geralt between Yen and Triss then comparing it to the royal wyvern gameplay saying how bad the downgrade is - now it's a proof that isn't the case, just lower settings of the game + older build.

No it doesn't because it still looks worse then VGX/Sword of Destiny.

No it doesn't. The new footage easily looks better overall than those trailers. Every aspect of the graphics is either the same or better.

Anyway, I think they aren't showing the ultra settings so far for two reasons:

1. Not to give console gamers false expectations.

2. Because ultra settings are likely still not finished or fully optimized.

Those are my best guesses. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Microsoft paying them off or anything like that.

Ultra settings will likely include things like HBAO+, full HairWorks implementation, better anti-aliasing options, perhaps better quality shadows and foliage (and/or greater amount of foliage).

Honestly the game already looks incredible, so any improvement beyond that is going to be an awesome bonus.

1. Not to give console gamers false expectations.

Well then they're the first to be so considerate because I've never heard of another developer doing this. Hell, the industry standard is to trump up visuals with bullshots and high end PC settings even if a game is multiplat.

So i've heard that CDProjekt Red have not actually shown footage of ultra settings yet? is this true or just rumour?

So it seems.

If I remember correctly, Gamestar was allowed to deploy ultra mid January, three months ago. Business companies don't usually sulk and are not motivated to metaphorically slap challengers across the face.

No matter from which angle I look at it, the decision makes no sense.

Well then they're the first to be so considerate because I've never heard of another developer doing this. Hell, the industry standard is to trump up visuals with bullshots and high end PC settings even if a game is multiplat.

Well CDPR isn't called the rebels of the industry for nothing. There are plenty of things they do which aren't exactly industry standard.To name a few:

1. free DLC
2. Postponement of the game for polishing
3. Heavily support of their products
4. Enhanced Editions for the first two games that are free of charge.
5. DRM free
6. And the list goes on.

So I wouldn't put it pass them to actually "hide" ultra and go against the norm.

Sken

Forum veteran
Do the settings go Low > Medium > High > Ultra or is there a very high?
We don't know, and we don't know what options are included in any of those settings, hence all the speculation.

The expectations of Ultra are Nvidia settings, ubersampling, better draw distance, and rumors of improved vegetation.

The game looks great already, the hope is Ultra re-produces the level of quality shown in the VGX trailer of Geralt walking through the swamp and the village, the visual benchmark for this game.

@Sken Just a little thing, but ubersampling is not included in the Ultra preset. Also, I think expecting the SOD level of quality makes more sense, since VGX has the old renderer (with the extra sharpening effect to cover the faults of the assets). But yeah, other than those points exactly what you said :)

Sken

Forum veteran
@Sken Just a little thing, but ubersampling is not included in the Ultra preset. Also, I think expecting the SOD level of quality makes more sense, since VGX has the old renderer (with the extra sharpening effect to cover the faults of the assets). But yeah, other than those points exactly what you said :)
ah I see, thank you for correcting.

Actually I remember them saying somewhere that some areas look better while some look worse. Not in a manner of they are still working to fix the worse areas but the game will have places where it's more beautiful than others.

Now after watching the last trailer uncompressed version, there is a moment where it shows Geralt drawing his sword with those drawings/words on it and then making a face like he wants to cut something specific badly.
Anyway that moment shows Geralt exactly the same as he was shown between Yennefer and Triss in the SoD trailer, precisely same quality.
I imagine the trailer shows different qualities of the game or something but what I mentioned above is definitely the same graphic quality.
There was sometime a post here about downgrade showing Geralt between Yen and Triss then comparing it to the royal wyvern gameplay saying how bad the downgrade is - now it's a proof that isn't the case, just lower settings of the game + older build.

And that's funny because that scene with Geralt drawing comes from that goddamn E3 xbone demo

So the "no footage on ultra" thing until release applies for the new gameplay to? it's not supposed to be on Ultra/ maxed out settings? because f**k me that graphics, living world, physics is insane, the new gameplay sets the bar high for visuals on open world games, or even games at all.

-But really, is there any official confirmation about the new trailer not be on ultra?

@Hueland Not that I'm aware of. We are just going by their statement of before, and the simple fact that there was no HairWorks apparent in the trailer (And we know that HairWorks is in the Ultra preset, by their previous statements) :) So yeah, it's a little bit of healthy speculation :)

Hairworks is really the way to go if it's Ultra or not, but just to confirm, is there anybody with a trained eyes to spot if there is HBAO+ or SSAO on the new gameplay? thanks

Hairworks is really the way to go if it's Ultra or not, but just to confirm, is there anybody with a trained eyes to spot if there is HBAO+ or SSAO on the new gameplay? thanks

Now that i looked for it: The footage is from many different sources, even from cutscenes. Some don't have any AO (or some objects don't have it enabled), most have HBAO, and at least one scene (where he jumps onto the rock with the stone of power) have SSAO. BTW, having HBAO+ enabled still doesn't mean that the rest of the settings are Ultra.

Well you can play Tomb Raider with TressFX on Ultra so I don't see why Hairwork would necessary be a hint for ultra footage. I think Hairwork is on on the gdc and it's not ultra so...

I just say about the HBAO+ because is exclusive to PC, just like Hairworks and it's more demanding than a simple SSAO, so I guess that will be on Ultra preset.
Foliage quality, vegetation density will be more difficult to know how much the difference between Ultra and High since it varies on different areas.

So the "no footage on ultra" thing until release applies for the new gameplay to? it's not supposed to be on Ultra/ maxed out settings? because f**k me that graphics, living world, physics is insane, the new gameplay sets the bar high for visuals on open world games, or even games at all.

-But really, is there any official confirmation about the new trailer not be on ultra?

They said during GDC gameplay video that they are saving ultra for when you buy the game so I think none of the videos shown to this point are on ultra however as we see near final builds of the game, even high graphics seems more and more polished and improved so I think ultra is going to be a big deal, should be if they regarded it as "slap across the face" :D

@Hueland Not that I'm aware of. We are just going by their statement of before, and the simple fact that there was no HairWorks apparent in the trailer (And we know that HairWorks is in the Ultra preset, by their previous statements) So yeah, it's a little bit of healthy speculation

If you download the uncompressed video of PAX gameplay, you can clearly see beautiful fur on the two wolves in start and Damien said that it was on high so I believe HairWorks is independent of graphical presets and you can enable/disable it anytime.

EDIT: but like I mentioned their bold statement at GDC, I don't think they have plans to show ultra before release so let the hype train go faster and faster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom