Ultrawide Monitor Issue

+
Hello!
I've been googling all morning and most of the support seems to come from 2015 and I don't really trust a lot of the fixes so posting a thread here.
Hopefully you guys can help me out as I am wanting to really stream this game!

I am currently using a LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Widescreen monitor and the game refuses to pick up this resolution.
No matter what I try. Images attached!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to resolve this?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!

Attachments

• 20180908131609_1.jpg
    20180908131609_1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 2,108
  • 20180908131650_1.jpg
    20180908131650_1.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 2,092
Try going into your GPU Control Panel and disabling any sort of "scaling" option. On Nvidia cards, it should be set to:

1536445070365.png

As long as the game's resolution fits within the native resolution, it should display correctly (1:1 pixel ratio) with black borders around the image.

Thank you so much for your response!
I REALLY appreciate the help.
I was able to fix getting the HUD to display correctly by tweaking in game hud settings, but it still does not show my ultrawide resolution of 2560x1080 in game :(

Edit: that setting does not seem to have any affect

Last edited:
I was able to fix getting the HUD to display correctly by tweaking in game hud settings, but it still does not show my ultrawide resolution of 2560x1080 in game :(

The game does not display correctly under any aspect ratios other than 16:9 or 16:10 (possibly 4:3...not sure). Check the mods on the Nexus. I think something was being worked on to get the HUD displaying properly.

Edit: that setting does not seem to have any affect

Depending on your system, this setting may be overridden by the GPU, Windows settings, or your physical monitor's settings (accessed via the monitor controls). By default on most PCs, ensuring that "Perform scaling on: GPU" should override it. If not, I'll need to know more about your monitor and Windows display settings. Is your system a desktop or laptop?

Thank you again for your response!
Windows 10 64 bit desktop using a GTX 1060 6GB
My monitor name is provided above: LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Widescreen
I play just about every other game in wide screen quite easily and the resolutions just show up so this is quite baffling.

TW3 is definitely more particular than most games. :p It's definitely a game that you want to configure your system for, not the other way around. Try manually setting desktop and game resolution at 1920x1080. 2K / 4K resolutions do usually work, but the ultra-wide monitors can be problematic. Best bet is to get it working in a standard resolution and tweak from there.

What you're going for is something that draws in from top-to-bottom cleanly with a black border on either side of the gamespace. 1920x1080 should do the trick, as the vertical ratio is the same as the native res. I think that may what you're presently seeing, and if so, that's correct.

The game won't display (or at least, it likely won't display correctly even if you can get it working) in a 21:9 aspect ratio. The engine won't draw the graphics in correctly on the left and right sides of the screen, it may severely degrade performance, create artfacting, or crash. I've not dealt too much with this in the past. I'll see if I can find anything on it.

Quick-Sum: If the game is displaying properly at 1920x1080, that's the way it should be working, AFAIK.

I am using 21:9 monitor and resolution 2560x1080 works without any problem.
Well, almost any problem, cut-scenes and conversations are pillarboxed, but it can be fixed using one of the below files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mowxjjgkjso6kxd/witcher3_gog_de_21_9.rar?dl=0 - GOTY
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sc2i4gt25dio6lh/witcher3_gog_en_21_9.rar?dl=0 - non GOTY

Did you try adding your desktop resolution to non-standard resolutions in Nvidia Control Panel? Sorry for polish language.

Przechwytywanie2.PNG

And what about video drivers? Are they more or less up-to-date?

I figured out my issue.
I have a second monitor I duplicate to that is NOT 2560x1080.
For some reason Witcher 3 limits itself to the resolution of this monitor and doesn't use the primary one.
Anyone know a way to resolve this?

Well, disconnecting the second monitor is guaranteed to have an effect. :p

Ensure the game is set to run in "Fullscreen". Windowed / Borderless may be forcing it into the secondary display.

Maybe check the connections and ensure that widescreen monitor is plugged directly into the main display port on the GPU / adapter. It could be mistakenly plugged in as a secondary.

Try swapping the output modes through Windows Display Options. Sometimes, keyboards will have the feature assigned to a function key as a shortcut. (e.g. Mine is Fn + F7.)

Unplugging the monitor does allow me to select the widescreen resolution.
The game is for sure running in Fullscreen.
I for sure have it in the main displayport with my monitor running 2560x1080 at 144 Hz.

Okay... (Cracks mental knuckles.) All of the multi-display systems I've ever used personally have had 2-3 identical displays, and I don't use such a setup myself (no expertise). What you're saying does sound really weird, though. Let me make sure I'm understanding:

If you disconnect the secondary monitor, you can play the game in full resolution on the ultra-widescreen. No issues.

If you plug the secondary monitor in, the game will display on the ultra-widescreen primary...but it will be stuck at the resolution of the secondary monitor.

^ Correct?

Also, what is displayed on the secondary monitor while the game is running?

YES!
This is all correct.
The widescreen monitor displays the game in STRETCHED 1920x1080 so it is flattened and the second monitor displays the game correctly.
Using win+arrow keys to move it around as if it isn't on the primary monitor does not do anything.

Hm! That may be the ticket. Trying to "duplicate" the display for actual gameplay is likely where the issue lies. If rendering for a smaller resolution, it's not much of an issue to stretch the image to fit the larger display. However, rendering the game at a 2K resolution and then attempting to down-sample each frame to a much smaller screen is waaay harder. (Even if it works with other games, TW3 may be too demanding.) Still strange that the game / Windows would automatically decide to "switch the monitors". :unsure: I imagine it should simply create really horrid performance or refuse to display. Curioser and curioser...

Try setting the multi-display to draw only to the primary monitor. (The smaller monitor should be dark or perhaps displaying the Windows Desktop.)

If that doesn't work either, I'd open a support ticket with CDPR directly:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/

Wish I knew more, but you're right: it's odd.

Thank you so much for all your diligent help.
Can you tell me how you set it to draw only on the primary?
Post automatically merged:

Oh but i want it to still duplicate. :(

Last edited:
You'll likely just have to toggle the duplication on / off when you want to play. On your primary monitor, just right-click on the Desktop, select whetever you're using to do the multi-display (Windows itself, your GPU control panel, or some other 3rd-party program). I think the 2 basic options are Duplicate or Extend. Switch to "Extend the display". Looking again, it seems you want to select "Computer only", not "Extend".

If it works, it should be pretty easy to write a quick batch file to do it automatically, launch the game, and switch back when the game ends.

EDIT: Here's a batch file to just toggle display 2 on/off at a click: https://www.sevenforums.com/customi...ng-off-1-monitor-dual-set-up.html#post3196888

Last edited:
Yeah sadly that's not gonna fly.
ALRIGHT! thank you for all your help! I am gonna open a support ticket.
Really appreciate all your time and attention! <3

Thank you again for your response!
Windows 10 64 bit desktop using a GTX 1060 6GB
My monitor name is provided above: LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Widescreen

Hey I have a question for you, I notice you are using Nvidia card (GTX 1060) with the LG monitor that does not have G-sync (but has AMD FreeSync technology )... do you have issues or have seen problems doing this. I know they work together, but has there been issues?

I am looking for a new monitor, getting ready for CP2077, and I have a GTX 1080 Ti. All the g-sync monitors 27" or bigger are over $500...

Your thoughts?

Hi i dont know if this came too late but i have the same monitor and issue you have, only i use a rx580 8gb, i solved the issue by simply setting the game as UW - 2560x1080 then in adrenalin options of TW3 "keep proportions", the game will start "boxed" but will go full UW after loading the game. hope it helps this monitor is awesome!

Top Bottom