Uncertainty and RNG in games

+
Codexhel;n8448200 said:
2. That given equal skill, both players have a roughly 50-50 chance of winning, i.e. uncertainty, which means neither player is sure to win. You may argue that this is simply fairness, but this also means the result of any match will involve some degree of uncertainty. If the result of any given match was certain before you started said match (for example, match fixing and declaring the match result), nobody would watch this or play this. There is little entertainment value for the player, and perhaps none for any observer.

not at all... you're trying to justify your position instead of analyzing factors to reach the conclusion.

just look at league of legends and dota2, the biggest competitive scenes in the world, and all the FPSs that follow them; those games have little to no RNG elements in them, especially if we're talking one instance of dice-roll which can decide the entire match (like a mercenary pulling scorch)

the problem with RNG effects is when they have a large range of outcomes; if the outcome varies from "kinda good" to "kinda bad", it won't be unhealthy for the game. but if the results vary from "win the game" to "lose the game", as it happens with mercenaries pulling scorches, it takes away all the merit of a match. you'll always get the feeling of "he only won/lose because mercenary pulled that scroch", much as it used to happen in hearthstone with cards like piloted shredder and implosion. (i lost count of how many tournament games were carried by a 4-damage implosion...)

if you're going to have RNG elements in a game that relies on consistent strategies, you'll have to limit those RNG results in order to make the game more strategic; otherwise it'll often come down to dice rolls.
saying that the RNG of piloted shredder made it a fair card is simply false; it was one of the most broken cards ever made, and was played in every tempo-oriented deck until the creation of the standard format. there are other deathrattle cards in hearthstone which summon units when they die, and none of them have been as broken as shredder; the main example being infested tauren, a 4-mana 2/3 taunt which summons a 2/2 token.

as for elven mercenary, if pulling a random bronze special from the deck is too powerful, maybe you should take a look at why that effect is more powerful than pulling things like decoy and aeromancy... largely, it comes down the rally effect of clear skies, which in one of the only bronze specials worth running in most decks. indeed, giving elven mercenary an effect that practically reads "play a random bronze unit from your deck" would be too powerful, but that only happens due to rally.
to you use your hearthstone as an example, it would be like piloted shredder summoning a random 2-drop from your deck.

TLDR; instead of having huge RNG variability with elven mercenary, it would be much better to change the rally effect from clear skies.

RickMelethron;n8449950 said:
not at all... you're trying to justify your position instead of analyzing factors to reach the conclusion.

What does this even mean? Does that mean you contest point 2? So that means you think that all games should have a certain outcome before starting?

just look at league of legends and dota2, the biggest competitive scenes in the world, and all the FPSs that follow them; those games have little to no RNG elements in them, especially if we're talking one instance of dice-roll which can decide the entire match (like a mercenary pulling scorch)

Yes, I play dota2, and I enjoy watching it. What's your point? Did you even read my post? I listed games like Chess (no RNG), Gwent (middle RNG) to Poker (High RNG). There's no correlation between RNG and competitiveness. Are you just going to ignore my examples and justify your own position using your examples whilst ignoring mine? The thing that binds all these games together (including MOBAs and FPSs) is UNCERTAINTY, not high or low RNG. (Also, dota has plenty of RNG... PRD and true random spells exist in that game. Axe, PA, Basher, MKB. Cheesy bash crit dagger?)

if you're going to have RNG elements in a game that relies on consistent strategies, you'll have to limit those RNG results in order to make the game more strategic; otherwise it'll often come down to dice rolls. saying that the RNG of piloted shredder made it a fair card is simply false; it was one of the most broken cards ever made, and was played in every tempo-oriented deck until the creation of the standard format. there are other deathrattle cards in hearthstone which summon units when they die, and none of them have been as broken as shredder; the main example being infested tauren, a 4-mana 2/3 taunt which summons a 2/2 token.

The whole point of bringing up Piloted Shredder is to show the principle that RNG elements counterbalances theoretically strong effects. Perhaps then a better example would be Mad Bomber, since it's a basic 3/2 body and it's 3 shots can totally fuck them up or it can totally fuck you up, but if you made all 3 shots targeted Mad Bomber would be simply OP. Not the good kind of RNG to encourage too much of. Please don't fixate on specific examples when I had a whole plethora to choose from.

Similarly with Elven Mercenary part of the reason it's not wtfpwn broken is that there's this random element. Not to say this is the only way for Elven Merc to work, just the idea that Elven Merc with no RNG would likely be MORE powerful and that's undesirable in most people's books.

as for elven mercenary, if pulling a random bronze special from the deck is too powerful, maybe you should take a look at why that effect is more powerful than pulling things like decoy and aeromancy... largely, it comes down the rally effect of clear skies, which in one of the only bronze specials worth running in most decks. indeed, giving elven mercenary an effect that practically reads "play a random bronze unit from your deck" would be too powerful, but that only happens due to rally.

See this is a good point: you could put down that interaction to Rally. But the way I see it First Light and Rally are part of the game bedrock... if you change Rally, the entire game changes. It's like, I'd be careful about knocking down a weight bearing wall in your house if I was trying to renovate it. I would certainly not make it my first point of call.

Still though, a few things concern me:

1. Yes, if the game is too RNG, like Merc pulling Scorch, that can leave a salty taste in the mouth. But is the game really more RNG than Poker?
2. You have to limit the the amount of RNG to allow for viable and consistent strategies, sure, but I argued that does already exist in the final section of the previous post. Also, you ignored my entire point about uncertainty, reducing it to RNG, and also how uncertainty needs to be on a spectrum.
3. I strongly feel like you read what you wanted to read, or what you think I wrote, rather than what I wrote. Regardless, I feel like you've strawmanned my arguments pretty hard, since I feel like you've responded well to two points, focussed on minutiae for the Piloted Shredder example, and made some vacuous point about me being self justifying through some kind of circular reasoning, without actually directly targeting and breaking down any of my numbered assertions or chosen game examples.

That's fine, I understand the post is a bit TL;DR. But I will say straight up, I won't bother spending further hours responding to what I perceive to be a response to a lesser version of my position.

Last edited:
Again completely disagree with your entire post and this part just proves you would prefer that the game be more like chess.

The only comment im going to make is against what you consider a "real loss" can't happen due to RNG win condition and that RNG win Takes away form "the merit of the match" . You also seem to be salty afterwords because you think "you should have won" because IMO its a bad attitude to have, then I'm going to drop this thread.

but if the results vary from "win the game" to "lose the game", as it happens with mercenaries pulling scorches, it takes away all the merit of a match. you'll always get the feeling of "he only won/lose because mercenary pulled that scroch", much as it used to happen in hearthstone with cards like piloted shredder and implosion. (i lost count of how many tournament games were carried by a 4-damage implosion...)

This is the part where you seem to get salty over a loss especially talking about hearthstone or gwent . If you let a video game loss .......bites tongue again.

FYI IMO There is no "merit loss". Those were authentic competitive losses you mentioned not "carries" and if you are in the third round and you lose to a mecr scorch that is an authentic competitive loss to.

Im sure its happen to me at some point it IMO still qualifies as competitive .

IMO I think my "competitive" attitude is better than yours. If you are not doing any sport as a a "job" I don't feel getting stressed over a loss in a video game worthwhile to have it affect my emotional state.,

Probably because I had fun actually playing the game for fun and enjoyment even in ranked ( same in mobas and fps in and out of ranked) ...its just a video game so i lose a couple rank point it was still more exciting conclusion that a game of chess .....and the better player did win.

Pretty much the best advice for playing any casual or ranked in any game- especially ranked is don't worry about your rank.

top rank especially in a video game is just another destination- as this quote states

Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. Greg Anderson

Last edited:
Uncertainty and RNG in games

Note: Just starting a new thread as requested to discuss the effect of uncertainty and RNG in games, in particular with regards to the RNG nature of Elven Mercenaries.

NovaBlast;n8446640 said:
One might say its a negative thing for the game as well. . RNG is an inherent quality of CCG's

RickMelethron;n8447930 said:
so..? diseases are an inherent part of life, doesn't mean i want more of them

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT

Yes and no. On the one hand, you have Hearthstone, which has over time become more and more RNG based as they have added many cards that are both strong and viable despite their RNG nature. This means that there are many RNG cards in constructed that can thrive and be effective, and hence add more and more RNG to any particular game.

RNG is generally a downside to any card if it's incorporated into its effect. That's why when you observe the Piloted Shredder (4/3, spawns a random 2-cost minion when it dies, compared to the basic 4/5 of Chillwind Yeti), you're in effect trading 2 health for the deathrattle, which is okay if it spawns something like a Nat Pagle, but a really good trade if it spawns a proper 2/3 or 3/2 body. Thus, the cost of the RNG has been in built into the card which makes it both cost-effective and RNG.

Put enough of these cards into the game, and you incentivise players to include all these solid RNG cards, and push the meta into something which is very RNG, overly RNG.

On the other hand, if you remove the RNG element of the Piloted Shredder and give it a consistent effect (say spawning a no ability 2/3), and this card becomes absolutely borked. You're basically getting a 4 drop that can spawn a 2 drop (or maybe 1.8 equivalent drop) when it dies. It's totally the RNG effect which keeps the card in line.

Similarly with Elven Mercenary, the effect is absolutely ridiculous if there's no RNG to it. Imagine if you could choose which card to play with your Elven Mercenary: I'm pretty sure people would say this would be incredibly OP, and I'm glad that this isn't the case. In fact, many ST efficiency decks include so many ways to lessen the effect of RNG: Brouver, Nature's Gift (to promote better First Light chains), King of Beggars to name a few. These are all Silver options, and if you make Elven Merc Bronze-only you're basically removing the need for ST to run these Silver efficiency options because suddenly their Elven Merc chain will be a 50+% thing rather than the severely diminished version in post patch which makes current patch ST look like a laughable runt of its former glory.

You might say, if the Elven Merc ability is so strong that it requires an RNG element, why not give it a point penalty instead e.g. 2 power? That seems fair right, combined with a more reliable Bronze-only pull? Well, not necessarily. A big part of the reason that Elven Mercenaries got increased from 3 to 4 was to reduce their interaction with King of Beggars. Before, you had a really simple tiering of ST strength, 2 for Hawker Healers, 3 for Elven Mercenary, and 4 for BMC. This was a huge reason why KOB was such a hugely efficient card in ST, because you knew 100% what you'd draw with KOB, and then decoy it. Right now there are plenty of other useful 4s: BMC, Hawker Healer, Hawker Smuggler, which compete for KOB pulls, diminishing the potential to thin your deck 100% reliably every game.

The state of Elven Mercenary resists a simple solution that solves all problems. I presume the OP was asking if Elven Merc being Bronze-only was a good idea is because pulling a silver spell for free could be seen as too strong. On the other hand I have shown that Bronze-only would be a significant buff as opposed to the proposed nerf, which makes it a poor change to achieve what was intended.

Now I will move onto your point, which is less RNG in a CCG is inherently a good thing. Hearthstone is proof of this, you might say. Well, again, yes and no.

What makes a competitive game interesting and fun? I would argue that in any game that involves PvP, it has to involve a combination of two things:

1. It is a game of skill, and
2. That given equal skill, both players have a roughly 50-50 chance of winning, i.e. uncertainty, which means neither player is sure to win. You may argue that this is simply fairness, but this also means the result of any match will involve some degree of uncertainty. If the result of any given match was certain before you started said match (for example, match fixing and declaring the match result), nobody would watch this or play this. There is little entertainment value for the player, and perhaps none for any observer.

Feel free to contest these, but I will take it that these are a given.

I will also make a claim for an addendum to 2, which is:

2*. Given unequal skill, there is always a chance, however small, that the underdog will win.

This is potentially controversial. You may argue that the better player should always win, especially given a big MMR differential. However, if you have ever followed any competitive sport, you'll know that most of the most memorable games (you know, apart from the 5-4 wins in injury time) are the ones between the big teams that had a huge impact on the state of the league, but also in particular the scalps that much smaller teams take from the top of the league. The David vs Goliath games that goes in David's favour, and the way that fans and pundits alike rave about those underdog stories really shows that the uncertainty of results and random nature of the game add flavour to said game. It's the stories and drama that people lap up and add a layer of emotion. These games are fundamentally more interesting than the boring drawish games of the middle of the league table.

Given these 2 or 3 qualities of an interesting competitive game, let's look at some examples:

Poker:

1. Hold'Em has really taken off. Players and fans constantly defend Poker from anti-gambling laws by claiming that it's a game of skill, which are as a class exempt from the anti-gambling laws. However, note that this game has a huge amount of RNG: in fact, Omaha is a variant which is noted for being particularly exciting for player and observer alike for being high variance (RNG). Case in point, the leader on the flop in Poker is often in the 50%-60% range as favourite, whereas in Omaha Hi the leader in any particular hand can be as little as a 36% dog. Yet people find this game interesting despite that.

2. Poker is by nature an uncertain game, no matter if it's a community card based variant like Hold'Em or Omaha, or a pocket-only variant like Stud. There is no way to tell what the next draws will be, the only thing a player can do is play the odds, and more importantly, play the opponent. Pressuring the opponent in the correct way will win a hand more often than simply going to the showdown, when RNG i.e. hand quality is the only determining factor of who wins any particular hand. WSOP Europe champ Annette Obrestad went so far as to show the importance of player skill, position and pressure by playing an online tournament without looking at her hand, except where she was calling all-in situations where the only options are Call or Fold. In these cases she looked at her hand to make that decision. She won said tournament.

The excitement of poker as a spectator sport and player is that the next card and next development is never certain, not even on the river. Both players can make a grab at the pot even after both players have seen all the cards to be dealt. The player with the losing/behind hand wins a hand as often as the player with the winning/ahead hand, because it's a game of decision making and partial information.

The role of RNG in Poker: Poker is a classic example of a game that is labelled a game of skill, which has taken off in the competitive scene with millions of viewers and millions of dollars worth of sponsorship and prize pool, but which has a huge factor of RNG in built into the game. Prized player skills include psychology and reading a player, nerves of steel, balancing of odds (remembered and calculated), and clear accurate memory of player actions, both during a hand and over the course of a table/tournament. The effects of RNG are balanced out over the course of many hands, and as such you try to win out percentage-wise over hours rather than minutes.

Chess:

For my second example, I have chosen a game which has no RNG in it at all. Let's compare it to my criteria.

1. A game of skill? Oh most certainly. I'm distinctly intermediate at chess, and I make no claims to being good at it.

2. This game is a completely fair game (minus the coin flip. I mean, which side you start with.) Both players start with completely even resources, and the board is symmetrical. There is no RNG. In fact, some may argue that Chess has been solved, and we now have huge endgame databases, or at least that the game will be entirely solved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solved_game

The most obvious example of a solved game is Tic-Tac-Toe, which is so simple it's basically boring- a forced draw is inevitable so long as neither player throws the game. So let's consider a weakly solved game for now, Checkers. With deep computer calculation, they've weakly solved this game so that a forced draw can be provided with proofs of every single step being optimal. Imagine if humans played like this. Pretty boring, huh? Regardless of whether it's forced wins or forced draws, both scenarios are uninteresting.

The reality is that Checkers is only interesting because players make mistakes, by making the suboptimal plays (inaccuracies) or blunders, and hence the better player wins, more often than not. The key phrase here is "more often than not", which is the uncertainty quality of 2. Similarly, the Chess World Championship is only interesting because Vishy Anand had a chance (actually 2 chances) to take the crown from Magnus Carlsen, even though most people saw Carlsen as a huge favourite: the result was uncertain.

At this point though, it's worth quoting wiki:

"Whether a game is solved is not necessarily the same as whether it remains interesting for humans to play. Even a strongly solved game can still be interesting if its solution is too complex to be memorized; conversely, a weakly solved game may lose its attraction if the winning strategy is simple enough to remember (e.g. Maharajah and the Sepoys). An ultra-weak solution (e.g. Chomp or Hex on a sufficiently large board) generally does not affect playability."

The poignant question is though, where does the uncertainty in Chess come from? This is a computer-calculable game where AIs can beat the best grandmasters quite reliably (Kasparov vs Deep Blue). Surely with such a stable and calculable game there should be less uncertainty?

While there is definitely less uncertainty in a game like Chess than Hearthstone, Poker or Gwent, it is the uncertainty that has allowed the game to flourish as a competitive sport. Top grandmasters are able to calculate many branching forced lines, yet fall back on general positional considerations when the position isn't forcing enough to be calculable. They have to calculate different lines because their opponent may play one of several.

Yet this uncertainty of exactly what is going to happen creates space for human endeavour: The depth of calculated lines, the adaptation of positional reasoning. The brilliancies, the blunders, the predictability yet unpredictability of human play. This is part of the reason that playing against humans will be more dynamic and more interesting than playing any of the current AIs, no matter the game.

Role of RNG: Non-existent. This game is wholly centred on player decision making and ability. Prized player skills include psychology, stamina, calculation, concentration, intuitiveness, inventiveness, memory and visualisation.

Gwent:

Where does Gwent fit into all of this? Well, it's a CCG which has a smaller emphasis on Draw RNG (fewer draws per game). It does have RNG cards but they're relatively few and far between, or at least their RNG is more limited (buffing a random unit, pulling a random card from deck) as opposed to the RNG of Hearthstone (Spawn any random 2-drop in the ENTIRE GAME).

1. Is it a game of skill? I would argue so. The fact that the same names are invariably at the top of the leaderboard shows that it's a game of skill.

2. The result is uncertain, which is a good thing. Check. However, the result is too RNG, you might say. Firstly, I would dispute this, since I feel that this game is less RNG than Poker is. In Poker, you often spend 60+% of your game waiting for a decent position, a good hand (considering the position), or a combination of the two. In Gwent, you're always in it to win it. No spam folding, just playing. This makes you feel the effects of wins and losses much more, despite the fact that laddering in Gwent and playing a poker table is exactly the same: if you play the percentages game, and win more than you lose, you're in the money.

Imagine if there were no RNG in Gwent's cards. Then the game would be entirely calculable. Armed with a deck tracker, any intermediate player with a brain could calculate the consequences of playing any card or line. Opponent's moves would be predictable and likely calculable by the best players with little to no uncertainty. The game would look much more similar to a game of AI weak solved checkers, or worse, Tic-Tac-Toe, with every game panning out the same way. Decks like old ST Ciri: Dash where both players would throw out disgusting 5 merc chains back-to-back would make the game stale and predictable, and stunt innovation and other archetypes. Ew.

Since we are playing with such thin decks, with such thinning mechanics, Gwent has been designed in a way that allows both players to field very consistent decks with themes and a consistent plan in mind. 25 cards is super thin for any kind of CCG, which means people are able to consistently assemble combo pieces required for their plan. If you ever remove the RNG of cards entirely, the game would likely move towards a solved state which is wholly uninteresting.

Role of RNG in Gwent: Considering that all interesting competitive games require a degree of uncertainty, removing RNG from cards entirely would move the game towards a weakly solved state, regardless of meta differences in between patches. This would be incredibly unhealthy for Gwent, unless you somehow found some other way of introducing uncertainty back into the game, but I believe that uncertainty is the whole thing you're railing against. Prized skills include bluffing, calculation, visualisation, probability, understanding multiple different archetypes and creativity.

Over the course of these examples there has been no consistency in RNG. You've got everything from no RNG to high RNG, yet all of these games are competitive and interesting for players and observers despite that. I believe that the reason for this is that the "healthy" amount of RNG depends on the type of game you have. Games with complete information tend to have little to no RNG, whereas games with incomplete information tend to have higher RNG. Card games need more RNG than most because they need to be less calculable to interact with the medium (i.e. cards) better. Chess pieces with their strengths and limitations on the other hand don't need RNG to be interesting and skillful to use.

In general, however, any game archetype will have some kind of sweet spot for uncertainty, which is generally in the middle. Too much uncertainty, and the result will be defined by it and dominate the influence of player skill, making it unfun for players (Hearthstone). Too little, and the game becomes too calculable, and depending on the complexity of the game might cause it to be played by humans like omniscient bots (Tic-Tac-Toe, Weakly solved Checkers.) It's important that any competitive game you're crafting hits that sweet spot of uncertainty.

In any game, it is the role of the player to manipulate the effect of uncertainty. In chess, a game of no RNG, the player that is ahead will try to minimise uncertainty, to secure the win in the safest manner, whilst the player who is behind will try to maximise uncertainty, in order to contrive a situation where they can make an insane comeback. This is true of any game. However, since the role of RNG in CCGs is higher, the role of the player is generally to weigh the odds and try to minimise RNG through careful sequencing and balancing of probabilities. That's not to say the whole losing/uncertainty - winning/certainty dynamic doesn't apply to CCGs: it does, just to a lesser extent. In Gwent, your role is to balance probabilities, but also figure out your opponent and their deck, applying pressure to them to make suboptimal plays where possible. Never forget that.

To summarise:

-RNG is neither inherently good or bad, and a "healthy" amount depends on the type of game in question;
-Uncertainty (which can come in the form of RNG) is fundamentally healthy for games;
-It is the role of the player to manipulate uncertainty in their favour: this is part of player skill- uncertainty is often provided by RNG in CCGs, but there are other ways too;

-I argue that uncertainty is generally on a spectrum: a game can have too much uncertainty (for example, RNG determining games more often than player skill, Hearthstone, ahem), or a game can have too little uncertainty (Tic-Tac-Toe.) It's just that RNG is a very helpful way of dialing up or down the uncertainty of any particular game, especially in the format of card games.

TL;DR: RNG is neither inherently good or bad, so you're both right/wrong.

So much to discuss. Let's start off with one thing. Codexhel, you've mentioned Chess and Poker; traditional CCG are somewhere in between as far as RNG goes. However there is another difference with Chess compared to Gwent and Poker: all pieces are known to both sides. So, here's my question:

Would it be more interesting to have a CCG where the hand is open and known to both sides?

I was actually watching a game of Dota 2 earlier and it was said that sometimes the Roshan spawn timer (at the highest levels of competitive play) is the determining factor in a lot of games that are close. Furthermore, Dota 2 has plenty of RNG, you just may not realize it. Each attack is within a range; some heroes have a relatively tight spectrum and thus consistent damage, and some heroes (like Chaos Knight, as one may guess) have a very large damage spread that make their damage somewhat inconsistent. In the laning phase this can have a huge impact, as each last hit in competitive play can mean a lot, and the more missed/hit in a lane being contested can become an opening to kills, objectives, and ultimately the game. Beyond this rune spawns (non-bounty runes, that is) are still in only one of two spots, so you take a 50/50 chance of guessing right or sacrifice a player's time to check/guard a rune. These can determine a mid lane match up which can many times determine the mid game and, due to snowballing, ultimately the game. Lastly camp spawns are also random. This impacts heroes like Chen or Enchantress the most, but any hero using the new Helm of the Dominator can feel the outcome of getting the "right" creep for the situation.

I will agree that on the scale of things for the purpose of this thread, Dota is a relatively low RNG game; you choose your hero, and in Captain's Mode (the mode for the large majority of competitive play) you can even ban enemy heroes further controlling the state of the game. However, there is definitely RNG and sometimes this can determine a game in an even match, draft, and game. The point here for non-Dota players is that two teams must be even in terms of skill, they must choose heroes that match against each other in a relatively even manner, and they must play the heroes on each team well enough to keep the match even. Sounds a lot like Gwent to me, honestly...I'm pretty sure that if you gave me and the rank #1 player and gave us competitive meta decks, the #1 player would beat me 9/10 times or more, regardless of the RNG factor inherent to Gwent.

Another point I didn't see mentioned, that is *extremely* important, is that you are face-to-face with your opponent in all serious, competitive poker play. Many poker players at the top end will admit that reading your opponent and learning how to "play" them is really the it factor for high-end play. This is obviously completely absent from Gwent. (Unless the boys over at CDPR have printed out cards and play on an actual board, which personally I think would be kind of awesome!)

Lastly @4m3d you'd pretty much have to sack 1/2 of the empire decks out there, and the mangonels that go with them! :p

Last edited:
Well... I want to give my opinion.
I don't like RNG in CCG's. Hearthstone is the main reason. BUT, a CCG is a RNG game.

RNG is not a problem itself. Of course, sometimes you will lose because of luck and sometimes, you will win thanks to luck too. You can lose because you have a bad starting hand (yes, even in Gwent). So what will you say ? "omg this game is too RNG I got only bad cards in hand" ?

In my opinion, RNG is a problem only when it can change the whole game. There are a lot of RNG fact in Gwent, like rally pulling a random bronze. But those are all "planned" effect that you can manage. The RNG in Gwent is not overcoming the strategy and that's why I love Gwent so much. Elven Mercenaries pull random special, but as a ST player, I can say that most of the time, I know what they will draw.
Field Medic resurrect a random bronze in graveyard. The game can change a lot depending on what they will resurrect. So are the Field Medic too RNG ? I don't think so, because you always have an idea of what you will get. Yes, there are better cards to resurrect, but that's a part of luck that any CCG (or any game) can accept.

To keep with Hearthstone, the best exemple is Yogg Saron. The entire game (sometimes 20+minutes) is decided with one card. That is something not acceptable (once again, only in my opinion). I do not think that HS is a bad CCG. But game can be decided just by luck. Sometimes (a lot of time), you can just concede second or third turn because of bad luck. And so much cards can decide whether you will win or not purely based on luck.
I said that you can lose because of bad starting hand in Gwent. But it is never a certain fact and you can always make it through.

My conclusion is that "predicted" RNG (like rally, Elven, or even emissary) is not bad. Full RNG is.
I really really (reaaaallly) hope that Gwent will not become like Hearthstone in this full RNG way.
(Sorry, not native English speaker here ^^)

NovaBlast;n8450770 said:
IMO I think my "competitive" attitude is better than yours.

and which competitive attitude is that? winning games on the back on dice-rolls?
forgive me if i prefer to use the tools at my disposal to their maximum effect, and win based on my own prowess as a player.

PS: if your response is based on a projection of my feelings, it's better to stay silent.

Last edited:
Codexhel;n8450130 said:
What does this even mean? Does that mean you contest point 2? So that means you think that all games should have a certain outcome before starting?

no, i'm saying that no games have a certain outcome, regardless of having RNG elements or not.

Codexhel;n8450130 said:
What's your point? Did you even read my post?

again, i was answering to your claim that without RNG the games would be boring and predictable.

if you refuted your own statement over the course of your post, then why did you bother to make the statement in the first place?

Codexhel;n8450130 said:
The whole point of bringing up Piloted Shredder is to show the principle that RNG elements counterbalances theoretically strong effects. Perhaps then a better example would be Mad Bomber, since it's a basic 3/2 body and it's 3 shots can totally fuck them up or it can totally fuck you up, but if you made all 3 shots targeted Mad Bomber would be simply OP

you used your post to show that RNG makes certain effects fair, and i simply responded by saying the effects doesn't need RNG if you make them fair in the first place.
mad bomber is another example of bad RNG, which can completely swing games in a player's favor (especially in arena)
a good RNG card would be, for instance, dark cultist. it's a slower card, with a certain outcome, and the target of the health buff can be manipulated by both the player and the opponent.

for someone who keeps constantly accusing me of dismissing your points, you sure seem to have a problem understanding what other people say...

Last edited:
a_page06;n8452150 said:
Each attack is within a range; some heroes have a relatively tight spectrum and thus consistent damage

there's a difference between having one large RNG swing and several small RNG swings; as i mentioned in my first post, what matters is the variability of the outcome.
don't know about you, but i've never seen a game of dota2 being decided by a basic damage roll...

a_page06;n8452150 said:
Beyond this rune spawns (non-bounty runes, that is) are still in only one of two spots, so you take a 50/50 chance of guessing right or sacrifice a player's time to check/guard a rune.

and that's why wards are a thing

a_page06;n8452150 said:
Lastly camp spawns are also random. This impacts heroes like Chen or Enchantress the most, but any hero using the new Helm of the Dominator can feel the outcome of getting the "right" creep for the situation.

again, variability of outcome is the key factor to examine.

a_page06;n8452150 said:
Sounds a lot like Gwent to me, honestly...I'm pretty sure that if you gave me and the rank #1 player and gave us competitive meta decks, the #1 player would beat me 9/10 times or more, regardless of the RNG factor inherent to Gwent.

not true for any card game, the simple factor of starting hands would balance your winrates out, unless you're someone with a limited experience using your deck.
the factor that most impacts the outcome of a card game are the cards in your deck, so the most adept deckbuilder will have an advantage over the others. if you're both left to build decks and play against each other, sure, you might be defeated a lot... but if you're both given equal decks, or if the deck given to you has an advantage over your opponent's, you'll be on equal ground.

to reinforce the point of my first post, which a lot of people seem to have missed: reducing the overall number of RNG effects, and the range of their potential outcomes, will always be a positive thing for a PVP game.

RickMelethron;n8453610 said:
no, i'm saying that no games have a certain outcome, regardless of having RNG elements or not.

That's easy to refute. Tic-Tac-Toe, any strongly solved game with an easy enough to remember solution or any weakly solved game with an easy enough to remember solution, should have basically a certain outcome which makes it uninteresting for good players to play. (Maharajah and the Sepoys).

you used your post to show that RNG makes certain effects fair, and i simply responded by saying the effects doesn't need RNG if you make them fair in the first place. mad bomber is another example of bad RNG, which can completely swing games in a player's favor (especially in arena) a good RNG card would be, for instance, dark cultist. it's a slower card, with a certain outcome, and the target of the health buff can be manipulated by both the player and the opponent.

No, my point was to show the principle that there are some cards with in built RNG, and that taking that away would be a huge buff to those cards. I'm not justifying these cards or saying that they're healthy for the game or every game should have this kind of RNG.

If this principle is true then any de-randomising of Elven Merc might be difficult to balance without pulling out the roots of your game. For example, the whole ST faction would probably need a redesign to compensate for a changed Rally, since it's a core component of the tempo they are putting out in this tempo/efficiency meta.

if you refuted your own statement over the course of your post, then why did you bother to make the statement in the first place?

Ok, so you're basically admitting you didn't read my post in its entirety. I've distinguished between uncertainty and RNG as related but not identical concepts.

Some level of uncertainty is good for a game: a game of football has each players' individual skill, formation, tactics, strategy, manager acuity and personality makes the game deep and complex and uncertain even with huge favourites.

Dota has the draft, the players', smokes, tactics, strategy to make the game deep and complex and uncertain even with huge favourites.

Chess has positioning, pieces that can move to multiple squares, hundreds of legal moves, thousands of legal positions, that allow for the game to be deep and complex despite having open information and uncertainty happens even with huge favourites.

Gwent is a relatively simple game by comparison. There's only cards, you get to draw cards, you decide how many cards to play and its sequenncing and you can sequence your plays properly to minimise RNG. My friend who is running a multiple Scorch deck will simply Brouver Scorch something to minimise the effect of RNG on his game, because then he has close control over it with Nature's Gift and Aglais in his deck.

There are so many ways of minimising the effect of RNG and uncertainty in this game, that if you simply remove all RNG and uncertainty effects from the game the game becomes solvable and calculable. For me there has to be significant differences in decision making between intermediate players and pro players, and if you make a game too calculable it will be too easy for people to find what best play is, and make the game play out like AI weakly solved checkers.

RNG is a way of manipulating the amount of uncertainty in a game, especially when you lack imbalance aspects like Draft, Heroes and positioning of Chess pieces. That's why you see RNG effects in games.

RickMelethron;n8453720 said:
to reinforce the point of my first post, which a lot of people seem to have missed: reducing the overall number of RNG effects, and the range of their potential outcomes, will always be a positive thing for a PVP game.

Yes, I know. And I'm arguing that uncertainty in games is on a spectrum: you can have too much or too little. If that is the case, reducing RNG is not a good unto itself, as the game can become too calculable and solved to be interesting for human competitive play.

This is possibly why NovaBlast has the perception that RNG is healthy for the game, and you say it should be removed like the plague- I believe it's because uncertainty should be in the middle of the spectrum, and RNG is a way to achieve that. But RNG is NOT the same as uncertainty.

for someone who keeps constantly accusing me of dismissing your points, you sure seem to have a problem understanding what other people say...

Okay, so let's list how you've strawmanned my points:

1. "No game has a certain outcome, regardless of RNG or not" - I was talking about uncertainty, and that uncertainty sometimes needs to be put in by game designers to make a result less certain. And of course, no game has a certain outcome, but it can become very predictable like 98-2, which may still be too certain for game health. I never claimed that all games should have RNG put in to create an uncertain outcome, but adding RNG is one of a game designer's options to manipulate uncertainty if the game reaches too much certainty.
2. "again, i was answering to your claim that without RNG the games would be boring and predictable." - I was talking about uncertainty, not RNG.
3. "you used your post to show that RNG makes certain effects fair"- Nope, I was using it to show the principle that removing RNG effects from a card makes a card stronger. The base card could be underpowered or borked all to hell, but that doesn't make the principle change.

The issue is that replacing "uncertainty" with "RNG" makes the claim much stronger and hence easier to refute, hence the strawman.

E.g. 2. I say that uncertainty is good for a game.

Replace it with RNG is good for a game, and you could argue that my position would have football players walking around with random number generators in their pockets to determine what they'll do next. Absurd right? But that's not what I said at all. I said it's good to have uncertainty, not RNG, in all games, including football.

The important thing to note that if a game is complex enough with its moving parts, it will remain interesting for human play even after people get super incredibly good at it, even with low RNG. The issue arises when the game becomes simple enough to become calculable in most cases because then top level players have little to do in order to differentiate themselves from good players, which is the issue with easy-to-remember winning strategies in Maharajah and the Sepoys. RNG can fill that gap in simpler games, because probability and imagining branching lines of play is a valuable player skill then.

And other considerations:

4. You never make reference to any of the "solved game" material I've called upon to help frame the question and argue my position (the wiki page, or any examples of solved games)
5. You never make reference to any of the example games of Poker and Chess, and instead call upon your own choice of low RNG games (Dota, LOL) which are arguably higher RNG than one of my choosing (Chess).

6. This exchange:
Me: "What does this even mean? Does that mean you contest point 2? So that means you think that all games should have a certain outcome before starting?"
Rick: "no, i'm saying that no games have a certain outcome, regardless of having RNG elements or not."

What was the exchange that prompted my question?

Me: "2. That given equal skill, both players have a roughly 50-50 chance of winning, i.e. uncertainty, which means neither player is sure to win. You may argue that this is simply fairness, but this also means the result of any match will involve some degree of uncertainty. If the result of any given match was certain before you started said match (for example, match fixing and declaring the match result), nobody would watch this or play this. There is little entertainment value for the player, and perhaps none for any observer."

Rick: "not at all... you're trying to justify your position instead of analyzing factors to reach the conclusion."

Wouldn't it have been much clearer just to say that uncertainty is in built into games, if that's what you believe? Then argue and give examples for it. The thing that I find philosophically questionable is I've given you a premise, which you could've broken down, given counterexamples or attacked any of its foundations, but instead you assigned some kind of nebulous psychological analysis of me- "you're trying to justify your own position". I mean, it's not the worst ad hominem attack I've seen but it's really quite strange to do this when my premise is sitting right there to be attacked.

Long story short, you're arguing against what you think I'm saying, rather than what I am saying. This makes it difficult to follow what your argument is, when I've provided numbered premises, evidence and specific arguments that you can tear down and make it easier for you to argue against specifics rather than making generalist assertions.

So yes, your arguments have been difficult to follow at times, especially when it can get as nebulous as "not at all... you're trying to justify your position instead of analyzing factors to reach the conclusion."

Last edited:
RickMelethron;n8453720 said:
there's a difference between having one large RNG swing and several small RNG swings; as i mentioned in my first post, what matters is the variability of the outcome.
don't know about you, but i've never seen a game of dota2 being decided by a basic damage roll...

and that's why wards are a thing

again, variability of outcome is the key factor to examine.

not true for any card game, the simple factor of starting hands would balance your winrates out, unless you're someone with a limited experience using your deck.
the factor that most impacts the outcome of a card game are the cards in your deck, so the most adept deckbuilder will have an advantage over the others. if you're both left to build decks and play against each other, sure, you might be defeated a lot... but if you're both given equal decks, or if the deck given to you has an advantage over your opponent's, you'll be on equal ground.

I've seen plenty of games where someone gets away on 5-10 hp! That barely missed kill where one team gets a few kills on one side and the other team's carry barely escapes. One death, at many points in the game, can either mean that a person gets an advantage causing them to snowball, or a critical objective can be taken. It is especially true that in the pro scene small mistakes and little strokes of luck can change the game. Some games are out-drafts or out-plays for sure, but I've also seen plenty of games determined by RNG. You can't SEE the RNG in Dota, so perhaps this is why is so much harder to acknowledge, but the damage spread almost certainly has an impact, and even more so at the pro level where such a high level of play is demonstrated.

Wards are a thing, but wards cost money and take time of a player to place. Not to mention that warding both runes would critically limit your ability to see other places on the map, so your team would be at a disadvantage in that way.

But in a 25 card deck you're likely to use a large majority of it in any given game, and as its already been stated you're very likely to pull cards that (if your deck is smartly setup) have synergy with each other. Each well made deck has a "game plan" that can survive without the use of a few cards. If you need an example of the opposite end of this spectrum, Merchant plays a 40 card deck a couple of times and it is pretty bad... Of course, he sets himself up for such terrible RNG by having so many cards in his deck, and that's kind of the point of the video in the first place.

Wouldn't somebody with much lower skill generally have limited experience using their deck? Wouldn't they do things like set themselves up for scorch or igni, use their scorch or igni first, lock irrelevant cards or cards that are not the top priority, and just generally not counter their opponent in an effective way? I'm still climbing the ranks, and I can tell you that this is certainly a characteristic of many players rank 1-7, as I can easily use all of these things to my advantage. Many times I'll watch them use a cleaver on my Imperia Brigade and think, "huh, I've already used all of my spies, why would they lock that?"

The real difference between RNG in Gwent and Dota is its visibility, I think. You KNOW the 25 cards in your deck, and you know when you're down to the last few cards in your deck and you draw a bronze card instead of that last gold card that would swing the game. In Dota, however, unless you can use the flying damage numbers and calculate them based on your damage spread on the fly, while bouncing your calculations against the enemy's armor and magical resistance, you'll never really be able to see the small amounts of RNG in the attack spread. Not to mention camps and runes. I think you're underestimating the impact a Centaur camp can have over a Satyr camp if you need a stun in the early game in the hands of a capable Chen player. Or the fact that most, if not all, of high level play both runes aren't warded, and the mid player does rely on RNG in order to sustain their hp and mp, as well as determine ganks.

Literally just watched a CM get away on 5 hp in the Kiev major. Riki chased him down while beating on him with his 40-44 damage spread. Not hard to imagine a couple of lucky hits might've killed him. Anyways, go EG! :p

Holy crap guys writing a thesis over here.

I personally hate RNG in any sort of competitive game. Luck is a part of life, but video games can remove that aspect and make it into a more or less perfect competition where the best player/deck wins. The only RNG I think Gwent should have is the shuffle of the deck.

JohnathanHopkins;n8456460 said:
Holy crap guys writing a thesis over here.

Yeah, I'm not reading all that either.

As for the question, if you remove RNG (in regard to Elvish Mercenaries), you remove the risk/reward system. It would make the game more standardized, and reward deck builders, not players. You take away the excitement of DESPERATELY needing to pull a Scorch, and getting it. You miss the "throw your hands up in triumphant disbelief" when you get the D-Bomb that turns the game. You take away the "throw your controller at the wall" because you pulled a Thunder, and your opponent has all gold creatures.

Essentially, you make the game boring. You subtract fun, because you don't like to lose. You make it a lot like work, and a lot less like a game.

I'm finding all of the arguments here to be perfectly clear, IMO. The major hang-up (as is usual with humans) is that people "prefer" different things. When it comes down to a CCG, it's perfectly possible to develop it along the lines of zero-RNG. The upside is that it is now entirely skill-based...the downside is that it will inevitably result in "uber-decks" that simply cannot be defeated except by specifically designed counter-decks. This would seem to me to be a straight road toward a Pay-to-Win model.

RNG adds a level of unpredictability that ensures nothing can ever be 100% relied upon. If kept to a minimum, it can easily allow an underdog to squeeze out a win against a far more powerful deck or a master player to miss their mark have to fight to regain ground. Balance, of course, is the devil...and the game still has a long way to go.

Personally, I don't care for RNG. Hate it, normally. I would take a game of chess over a game of poker any day. But, I still can't deny that thrill of banking on something risky. There's a definitive energy that it adds to any experience. I really don't see it being removed from the game, but I'm sure it will be refined over time.

JohnathanHopkins;n8456460 said:
I personally hate RNG in any sort of competitive game.

So am I. I feel salty with RNG in Gwent specially in Rank mode where I need more luck to win.

GWENT have a healthy amount of RNG for casuals to enjoy the game with few exceptions like Merc/Field Medic chains. Card games will always be a game of probabilities but when each move can win or lose you the game right on spot this makes all the previous moves pretty obsolete, so when one NR player hits a Medic into Scout into Medic into Scout into Medic into Reinforced and another one gets Medic into PFI some keyboards will be broken for sure.

But there is too much RNG for the Tournament/High Ladder. Right now if two players of the same skill are playing similar decks the one with better RNG wins. Coinflip, card draws and chains. There is always a chance to beat someone with a full bronze hand when they are dropping golds on you but the chances are so small that they looks like a zero even under the microscope. As soon as people realize that the outcome is decided by RNG they will leave for good.

I see a lot of people are taking HS as an example of how games should be done... There are more bots than real people in HS, the only thing that keeps this shit afloat is media. If anything, this is an example of how NOT to make CCGs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom