Unconfirmed by CDPR: Cyberpunk multiplayer will be monetized

+
English Translation -
"And although we still do not have accurate information on what the multiplayer mode will look like, we have learned that there will be micropayments in it. The CEO, Adam Kiciński, assures, however, that they will be done in a thoughtful way and in accordance with the company's policy - they will offer the right value for money. It is worth remembering that this whole project (multiplayer and micropayment mode) is still at an early stage of development, and the developers plan to add it to the game only some time after its release."
Source: https://www.gry-online.pl/S013-amp.asp?ID=118942&__twitter_impression=true

What's your take on this? Does this worry you? Can you think of any alternative business models?

Best case scenario their multiplayer is a mini gamemode I can ignore.

Worst case scenario it turns into GTA online, where it has so much potential but the micro transactions take over.

This sounds exactly like Rockstar before the launch of GTA online. Money corrupts corporations, it was only a matter of time. Kinda poetic considering the the theme of the game

Attachments

• eca.png
    eca.png
    369.6 KB · Views: 87

Sild

Ex-moderator
They aren't stupid. They'll likely come up with fair and balanced transactions.

Pretty much my belief as well. It won't exactly be free to play cause you need the base game so my worry of "you will look like a potato if you don't pay for cosmetics" - Path of Exile springs to mind - shouldn't become a reality.

Well it's clearly for MP which should come as no surprise. We have yet to see any viable alternatives in the industry and everything will come down to how CDPR implement it. They aren't stupid. They'll likely come up with fair and balanced transactions.
"No viable alternative in the industry"

Divinity original sin 2 is multiplayer RPG that is P2P and works great. They dont have to pay to maintain servers and that means the servers will never go down and I can play it for as long as I need to.

Come on dont give them excuses.

Sild

Ex-moderator
P2P, in anything other than small, non competitive circles is terrible. Remember For Honor?

I doubt they're going for an Original Sin 2 approach to multy.

Pretty much my belief as well. It won't exactly be free to play cause you need the base game so my worry of "you will look like a potato if you don't pay for cosmetics" - Path of Exile springs to mind - shouldn't become a reality.
The thing is any kind of microtransactions no matter how sensible will ruin this game even the most noninvasive method of microtransactions (cosmetic mtx) willruin this game.

Cosmetic microtransactions: looks are everything in the world of cyberpunk so locking certain looks behind real world money or extreme grind ruins a part of the experience.

Honestly if they want to make money post launch on multiplayer why dont they just release expansion packs. If you make the multiplayer experience just the single player game but with friends, now people are more inclined to buy the expansion so they can play it with friends.

"No viable alternative in the industry"

Divinity original sin 2 is multiplayer RPG that is P2P and works great. They dont have to pay to maintain servers and that means the servers will never go down and I can play it for as long as I need to.

Come on dont give them excuses.

That's not even remotely like what CDPR will do with an online component. Hell there's nothing to even maintain with a P2P co-op mode. It will most likely be like GTA online and that kind of mode will require massive resources to develop and evolve over the years.

That's not even remotely like what CDPR will do with an online component. Hell there's nothing to even maintain with a P2P co-op mode. It will most likely be like GTA online and that kind of mode will require massive resources to develop and evolve over the years.
That's the thing, that's why P2P COOP is the best option. It's very hands off and it sticks closer to the pnp COOP roots. But dedicated servers are also great as they can stay alive forever as well. GTA online is a mess and trying to emulate it shows that either the multiplayer Devs dont know what they are doing or they know exactly what they are doing and bother are equally terrible.

I was dreaming of a cyberpunk multiplayer that allows people to have custome lobbies and modded lobbies where me and my friends can explore night city together just like in the PNP. But from what's coming out it just sounds like they want to control the servers so you have to be completely reliant on CDPR for your content.

This leads me to believe MP will be more rockstar gta kind of garbage rather than some kind of coop mp. This also makes it sound like any kind of modding will be very bleh.

Have a bad feeling that down the line single player "mode" will suffer if they pull a rockstar and neglect it.

That's not even from 1 and a half months ago... I know the main subject is post release MTX but the "we leave greed to others" sounds a like a whole load of BS right now.
Hopefully they'll clarify soon. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, they've earned at least that much with how consumer friendly they've been up to this point.

Last edited:
Monetization for multiplayer games isn't inherently bad imo. If it's done similar to how Warframe monetizes itself, then I have no issue with that. As long as there are no lootboxes, microtransactions are cosmetic only, are of high quality/reasonably priced, and your character can still look cool without them, then that isn't a negative for me. That said, that article is extremely vague, and also translated, so it's far too early to say anything, especially since it seems they haven't decided themselves what monetization will look like. We'll see what happens.

Monetization for multiplayer games isn't inherently bad imo. If it's done similar to how Warframe monetizes itself, then I have no issue with that.

That's the problem, isn't it? The difference between Warframe and Cyberpunk, is that one is a F2P game, and the other will be a full-priced one.

What would be a better idea for monetization without pissing people off, is by paying a monthly fee to play the multiplayer. That would make sure everything is available and would allow for the game to be monetized without pissing people off.

Best case scenario their multiplayer is a mini gamemode I can ignore.

Worst case scenario it turns into GTA online, where it has so much potential but the micro transactions take over.

Microtransactions didnt spoil GTA online. The items which you could buy did. (Namely the fragging oppressor mk2, although heatseeking missiles were too far gone already)

I cannot imagine the multiplayer being in anything but its extremely early stages, so I intend to ignore this discussion for probably couple years..
There are more important questions about the multiplayer to ask than how it will handle microtransactions. Such as what exactly will the gameplay be like, what it is that the players do?

Last edited:
That's the problem, isn't it? The difference between Warframe and Cyberpunk, is that one is a F2P game, and the other will be a full-priced one.

What would be a better idea for monetization without pissing people off, is by paying a monthly fee to play the multiplayer. That would make sure everything is available and would allow for the game to be monetized without pissing people off.

Warframe has the single player content as Cyberpunk is expected to have? Perhaps I'm wrong, but so far it seems that the MP is something to get with the full SP game for the common SP game price.

So monetization leaves me calm so far. Let's see how they plan to implement it. We don't even know how the MP will look.

Also, I do't see much difference between microtransaction, monthly fee or expansion packs someone suggested. Though I noticed that monthly fee is somehow most acceptable for... reasons... I guess.

There's nothing wrong with microtransactions as long as they don't affect the gameplay.

Warframe has the single player content as Cyberpunk is expected to have? Perhaps I'm wrong, but so far it seems that the MP is something to get with the full SP game for the common SP game price.

That's not what I'm saying. Warframe is a free to play game, whereas Cyberpunk will be about 50 quid. That's the main distinction. People haven't paid anything to play Warframe, but people have paid to play Cyberpunk

Top Bottom