Underrated/Surprising Cards

+
Underrated/Surprising Cards

Today I was making a deck and I noticed it lacked consistency. So I took a look at some of the old silver cards that I haven't used in a while and I saw The Last Wish. The card reads: "Look at 2 cards from your deck, then play 1." So there I am, using it in one of my Skellige decks and it pulls Vabjorn and Hjalmar. I'm like: :wat:. No other Silver cards can pull Gold cards that I know of, so I was pleasantly surprised. What other cards have surprised you that don't see much play? I personally haven't seen people use The Last Wish in a while, only in Spell decks.

Last Wish has had a place in my standard ST Spells deck since as long as I can remember - it can vary wildly with what it offers and obviously the later you use it the less card pool it has to pull from, but generally it'll find something useful - it's let me down a few times, but that's the nature of those type of 'look at X cards and play one' cards.

But keep it under your hat, ok? I mean, don't make a thread on a forum or anything letting others into the open secret that it's still/always was a viable card.

OG.laloquaint;n10247642 said:
No other Silver cards can pull Gold cards that I know of

Yaevin can pull you gold specials.

x1Cygnus;n10247782 said:
my standard ST Spells deck

Care to share? Maybe I can improve mine. My favorite deck. :victory:Even transmute all cards in it using my hard earned powder. There's something special about it. Though it's not as strong as it used to be. (and I'm not reffering the old days when weather was oppressive and spells was brain dead deck spam weather deck).

btw. What is your winrate and at what mmr range?

x1Cygnus;n10247782 said:
But keep it under your hat, ok? I mean, don't make a thread on a forum or anything letting others into the open secret that it's still/always was a viable card.

Whoops

nunqmuo;n10247832 said:
Yaevin can pull you gold specials.

Yeah, any card advantage card can pull golds. The Last Wish is special though because it's a normal silver card.

OG.laloquaint;n10247942 said:
Yeah, any card advantage card can pull golds. The Last Wish is special though because it's a normal silver card.

Must be me or the game but i never ever pull golds with spies. Only Gold specials with Yaevinn. So i thought it's how its supposed to be.:sad: Apologize for unintended misinformation. The game must really hate me.

Last edited:
Yeah the Last Wish is a really solid card for deck thinning. I've gotten Schirru, Ithlinne or Shupe just when I needed it a bunch of times. I use it constantly in my main Shupe deck.

I used Last Wish in my NG Spell deck last season. Sadly it never really worked with Stefan Skellen for whatever reason, but yeah, it's still a pretty useful card,

nunqmuo;n10248382 said:
Must be me or the game but i never ever pull golds with spies. Only Gold specials with Yaevinn. So i thought it's how its supposed to be.:sad: Apologize for unintended misinformation. The game must really hate me.

:sad2: It's okay :(

devivre;n10248652 said:
I used Last Wish in my NG Spell deck last season. Sadly it never really worked with Stefan Skellen for whatever reason, but yeah, it's still a pretty useful card,

I would actually add Stefan to my list of underrated cards. I think he's really good.

Last Wish, there was a time in the closed beta that every ST player and their mother ran that :p It had a slightly different effect though. I want to say it was like the current Ermion but I am not sure.

Stefan Skellen, while good, it's like Royal Decree. Because gold spots are so limited, sacrificing one to be able to draw the others is usually not worth it unless you have a Critical gold around which your strategy revolves (hence why stefan was popular in Mill decks)

Herbalist into Doppler is quite good. Though it used to be better when Doppler counted as a resurrect. (they didn't put that in the patch notes) :(

What about Lesser Demons? It's a chance to pick the exact card you need + 11 points. If you have a less than optimal card in your hand ... second to last card you play Lesser Demon and you can get exactly what you need and lose the dead card. It's even better with Wardancer which then gets played. I"ve been tinkering with it some. More often than not it's helpful. I never see anybody else use it.

Last edited:
Rawls;n10252462 said:
What about Lesser Demons? It's a chance to pick the exact card you need + 11 points. If you have a less than optimal card in your hand ... second to last card you play Lesser Demon and you can get exactly what you need and lose the dead card. It's even better with Wardancer which then gets played. I"ve been tinkering with it some. More often than not it's helpful. I never see anybody else use it.

hows the wardancer interaction work?

ser2440;n10253322 said:
The lesser demons can discard the card you picked too, can they not?
Yes it can. I had a really good run with it the first hnadful of games or so. But's evening out now. It may actually be better to play early in hand and get the card you want and then hope for the best. It's been interesting to test our in practice though. Got it in a keg this morning and have been playing with it. Not as good as it seemed at first. Apparently I just had good luck.

Rawls;n10252462 said:

I'm actually afraid of using that card because it could discard something I actually want to use lol.

DRK3

Forum veteran
What about Vabjorn? I know he's still subpar, but is great against Ciri Nova, assuming you: 1. have CA, since it will probably be the last card; 2. have a savage bear, to do that precious 1 pt damage instantly; 3. your opponent played Ciri Nova directly and not Marching Orders, or that slight buff will negate your kill.

The problem is in this meta there is so much buffing going around, specially that stupid Mahakam Ale.

DRK3;n10255362 said:
What about Vabjorn? I know he's still subpar, but is great against Ciri Nova, assuming you: 1. have CA, since it will probably be the last card; 2. have a savage bear, to do that precious 1 pt damage instantly; 3. your opponent played Ciri Nova directly and not Marching Orders, or that slight buff will negate your kill.

The problem is in this meta there is so much buffing going around, specially that stupid Mahakam Ale.

Even though SK is my favorite faction, I think Vabjorn is kinda useless. At least there are better options to use the gold slot. I mean, destroying a damaged card sounds good to begin with, but as you said, with all these buffing going around, it's hard to have a damaged card on the oponents field at all. Even if there is one, it mostly doesn't pay off.

DRK3;n10255362 said:

For me, Vabjorn is usually at least an 18 point play. The most I've gotten with him was a 30+ something point play. I really like him but yeah, he kind of sucks against a lot of archetypes.

Top Bottom