Unfinished Plot Threads - reserved for future?

+
Unfinished Plot Threads - reserved for future?

Hey, I felt like there were some plot threads in Witcher 3 that didn't have much of a pay off, but felt significant - in a sense, it feels like they were building up to something.

Two examples I can recall right now are Avallach and Philippa Eilhart. Quite a lot of characters tease that Avallach has an ulterior motive, in addition to some Lara Dorren based crush on Ciri - and yet, in a twist of sorts, he never betrays you or Ciri for any purpose whatsoever, and it is not clear what happens to him after the end. Also, something I picked up on Kaer Morhen was that he somehow channels Ciri's magic into himself - it looks that way in the animation, and he shrugs off his earlier bodily weakness after that, so I feel like Avallach's story is not yet done.

Philippa Eilhart's work towards bringing her sight back are kept mentioned as well, and while it might just be a Vilgefortz reference, I feel like it's also building up to something, since we never see her with her eyes again (and neither does she!) - what's the point of bringing it up several times if it's not going to lead anywhere? She also expresses some political ambition, so I feel like Philippa also has a role to play in the future.

What are your thoughts? Any other plot threads that felt unfinished to you?

Pretty much everyone except Geralt and Ciri felt unresolved or only partially resolved IMO.

Philippa for sure. We know she wants to be the emperor's advisor, but we don't know what actually happens with her.
Does Triss go to Kovir still if Geralt's not involved?
Does the Bloody Baron's wife get healed?
Is BB's daughter still on board with the witch hunters?
What happens to Sasha? They hint at seeing her again depending on how you handle high stakes.
Where does Eskel go? We at least know Lambert and Keira are together.
Does Zoltan just live in Dandelion's cabaret forever?

And of course there's still Anais, Saskia, and Iorveth from TW2.

Saskia and Anais, no question. Also I feel Avallach and Philippa where kept vague on purpose, there's clearly more at work there.

Philippa did regain her sight, she just decided to simulate eyes with magic instead of growing new ones. She aimed to become Ciri's advisor should she become an emperor and basically continue her old plans with the Lodge. I don't think that there's anything left to resolve with her, she's just being her old scheming self.

As for Avallac'h, the whole thing about ulterior motives was a red herring, a false lead to hide the fact that Ciri was completely on board with his plans. On the other hand I would've wanted to learn more about the White Frost and how the Elder Blood is supposed to be a key to stopping it, and if Ciri actually manages to do it in most of the endings.

Pretty much everyone except Geralt and Ciri felt unresolved or only partially resolved IMO.

Philippa for sure. We know she wants to be the emperor's advisor, but we don't know what actually happens with her.
Does Triss go to Kovir still if Geralt's not involved?
Does the Bloody Baron's wife get healed?
Is BB's daughter still on board with the witch hunters?
What happens to Sasha? They hint at seeing her again depending on how you handle high stakes.
Where does Eskel go? We at least know Lambert and Keira are together.
Does Zoltan just live in Dandelion's cabaret forever?

And of course there's still Anais, Saskia, and Iorveth from TW2.

Regarding Zoltan and the cabaret... I think if you let Nilfgaard win, Zoltan and Dandelion would have to evacuate from Novigrad, therefore being penniless again. In the epilogue you can see them sitting in an inn with Geralt, penniless.

Not know how many of you noticed this, but in the first tavern you go with Vesemir you talk to a man in a yellow robe. He is aware that you are looking for Yen and talks about knowing you from Dandelion's poems. Interesting is that he mentions that people call him Man of Glass and that one day he may need your help. In the plot description for the first expansion it says that you will help the Man of Glass sort some business in Oxenfurt. And he was really well designed, far better than the average peasant so I guess first expansion will revolve around him.

I was looking forward to finishing the " Deadly plot " quest , the one that has Dikzjjtra and Roche ask you to help them kill Radovic alas the quest went nowhere, hopefully they expand on that in the future.

Keep playing. :p
O O :D well they sent me to grab and old friend of Geralt's that was attacked by some cave troll , i freed him and then that was the end of it for me, are you telling me that there could be more to it than that ? dont you dare play with my emotions !:halt:

I think Phillipa would make a great villain for "The Witcher 4."

I hope they throw out their plans for this to be the last Geralt adventure.

I remember them saying back in 2013 that although this is the end of Geralts story, he may return in future Witcher games in a minor role, so who knows we may play as own own Witcher (or Ciri) and have Geralt play like a mentor role for us (or a quest giver), also yeah Philippa would indeed be a great villain for a future game.

I think Phillipa would make a great villain for "The Witcher 4."

She was technically a villain in TW2. Frankly speaking, I enjoyed collaboration with the Lodge and their leader far more. I have enough of fighting power hungry mages - both the book and many other crpg games covered it well. If TW4 indeed does happen, I'd have have Philippa and the rest as mentors, advisers, or simply NPCs helping the hero, like it is in TW3.

O O :D well they sent me to grab and old friend of Geralt's that was attacked by some cave troll , i freed him and then that was the end of it for me, are you telling me that there could be more to it than that ? dont you dare play with my emotions !:halt:

Keep Playing. :p

We never got to figure out why Avallac'h wears a mask...

I felt like we should have found out about what happened to both Phillipa and Avallac'h afterwards. Encountering the Baron's daughter later would have been nice too (maybe making her a person you can call on for help. If you're willing to go to spies for help, why not an aspiring swordswoman?

We never got to figure out why Avallac'h wears a mask...

The artbook has a small line about the mask: "On the move and chased by the Wild Hunt, Avallac'h tries as best he can to stay anonymous, hiding his identity by covering the upper half of his face with a mask."

Top Bottom