Unit cap still too low?

+
Back when the devs introduced the unit cap they said it was to make Gwent matches to feel more like a battlefield - with armies (or at least squads) fighting with special cards and artifacts supporting them.
But the unitless decks problem persists. Since you mostly play 10-15 cards in a game, the majority of them can still be non-units (tutors making it even easier). Introducing Maduk to add extra value to bombs and Eldain to boost traps tilts the balance too.
And while low-unit decks are valid in terms of current deckbuilding limits, I see them as pretty boring and annoying to play against. Moreso, I think they damage the skill of people playing them.
Back in three-row Gwent there were strict limits for Gold (1) and Silver (3) cards, so you had to make them count. Maybe non-units should be limited by 5, for example? Of course, this implies serious balance changes, but Gwent needs them anyway.

Well, its complicated, because of a lot of decks arent "no units" and need special cards anyway. So limit special cards to only 5 Will ruined those decks.

In other hand, those no units decks are really boring, and problably (with NG) The principal cause to People stop playing The game.

So i think The devs shouldnt create cards that supports this kind of archetetype and delete (or rework) The cards that already existe.

Nerfing stuff will cause:
... People stop playing The game.
BUT buffing nearly-extinct-architype to GOD level (so you can nerf it a little bit a month (or more) later, why a month (or more) - that the time for player to buy keg or craft card) will cause people to switch deck which mean you can kill do current op deck and sell more keg, two birds with one stone. Don't know why Gwent not do this strategy, Hearthstone been doing this for years, with every new expansion a new OP decks will rise, then it get nerf to normal level when the sale number kinda slow down or when every one craft that deck.

5 non-units would be ridiculously low and kill things like Enslave, Traps, Crimes, and various ST decks that run Gord.
I also don't see what the old limits for Gold and Silver have to do with the topic; card quality has nothing to do with card type.

Considering something boring or annoying does not justify killing it.

I think the cap is fine the way it is now.

I also don't see what the old limits for Gold and Silver have to do with the topic; card quality has nothing to do with card type.
I meant that those cards were limited because they were impactful. So - less non-units cards, but each of them should really sway the game. Not just throwing specials to disrupt opponent's engine or keep yourself out the reach of removal decks. Your units should fight, non-units maximizing their effectiveness.

Considering something boring or annoying does not justify killing it.
That's why this why I've created a SUGGESTION thread, and not taken hostages and making demands, right?
Post automatically merged:

Eh, why do I bother? Talking about any amount of sense in a game where Snake Mentor gets boosted for the card's PROVISION cost (does he steal its lunch or what?) and Geralt: Quen plays a second witcher?
Thread is useless and should be closed.

Last edited:
Well, some time ago, I had the idea of adding a tag for some special cards or artifacts that are used for control, just tag it as "control" (or "offense") and then limit the number of cards with the control tag for example to 5. This way we can still have as many non-unit cards but since control cards would be limited you can't just play fully reactive and murder anything your opponent plays and you'd have to conserve these.

Last edited:
Well I had the idea of adding a tag for some special cards or artifacts that are used for control, just tag it as "control" (or "offense") and then limit the number of cards with the control tag for example to 5. This way we can still have as many non-unit cards but since control cards would be limited you can't just play fully reactive and murder anything your opponent plays and you'd have to conserve these.
Heh, this game will soon have more tags than influencers' posts do.

lol, well it's just an idea, I ain't saying "This IS WHAT WE NEED!". :p
No, I like the idea. I just think that tag-based limits will be too complicated.

5 non-units would be ridiculously low and kill things like Enslave, Traps, Crimes, and various ST decks that run Gord.
Exactly. Those are the parasites of the low-unit paradigm.

Last edited:
Exactly. Those are the parasites of the low-unit paradigm.
Right. Well, they're hardly going anywhere as there is no reason or need to change the cap.

If everything someone dislikes was removed there wouldn't be much left, and, ironically enough, no one would be happy. I feel like that is sometimes either forgotten or ignored.

Right. Well, they're hardly going anywhere as there is no reason or need to change the cap.

If everything someone dislikes was removed there wouldn't be much left, and, ironically enough, no one would be happy. I feel like that is sometimes either forgotten or ignored.
Yeah, I understand that you can't just remove stuff with nothing to replace it. It could be possible to do a big rebalance (lowering power of tech units and deck thinners, introducing different engines and combo bases for different abilities etc.). But that would be Gwent 3.0 or another HC.
I understand that currently the game is evolving extensively. Add stuff, try to rework later. So yeah, as I said - thread useless and should be closed.

I see no reason to shut this discussion down just because you have closed your mind to it. Let others discuss if they wish.
What is there left to discuss? If you're for raising the cap - you won't get it. If you're against - you already have your stagnant status quo. Devs are adding new cards and introducing subtle changes to the existing ones. No signs of any radical refreshment.
But of course you can post anything you want here. Freedom of speech and drek like that. I'm just unfollowing my own thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom