Unjustified GPU usage?

+
Unjustified GPU usage?

I have 100% GPU usage for 99% of time. I have R9 290, last patch, last driver. Normally if something keeps 60 FPS, then GPU slows down. But this time it's 100% nearly all the time (in map it throttles down). I think there is some waste of calculation power. Never before my GPU worked like in synthetic benchmark reaching very big temperatures like 75 degrees (because it lasts for hours). If I turn FPS limiter down I can reach about 80 FPS most of the time with my detail level. It looks like it's rendering maximum number of FPS it possibly can (explaining unjust usage), and then cuts it down to 60. This or another way there is most probably some "power leak". I don't believe in 100% usage being actually needed to keep 60 FPS all the time.

vladgiurgiubv

+1 same thing happens to me...wasted GPU cycles

My Overclocked 980 works at 80-90% usage to keep 60 fps on ultra. Compare that to the 290, and you will understand that this is perfectly normal

It's not normal. If I can have 80 FPS at 100%, then it should keep 60 FPS with 80% or even less. That was happening in every game I played so far. That's why I lock FPS at 60 - to not waste GPU power. It may be related to Radeons, because I have 100% nearly all the time. Even in Crysis 3 GPU throttled down when there was less work to do. Here it's 100% no matter what.

My gtx 970 is hitting 75-80c sometimes in this game. Even AC Unity doesn't get my GPU that hot. This game has prompted me to gut my X51 and use relevant components to build a proper PC with better air flow. Usually my GPU temps are around 65c, but not this game. I'm Allison seeing 99-100% GPU usage nearly all the time.

I have an overclocked Radeon 290 and the game runs like a dream on all Ultra (hairworks off) and latest Catalyst beta driver

I have a Nvidia with FPS capped and my GPU usage scales down accordingly (i.e. when there's no need of 99% GPU power, like on "light" areas and menus)

I have an overclocked Radeon 290 and the game runs like a dream on all Ultra (hairworks off) and latest Catalyst beta driver

OP was talking about other matters.

I've noticed this also. My EVGA GTX 780 will only max out power on this game. I ended up parking my fan on at a higher speed to keep the temp from getting too high. It's not a GTX 980 but it's still decent and stays cool in most situations. Maybe something will be done to optimize GPU usage with the next patch...

Just saying but you can read past threads and you are gonna find a lot of issues with this game regarding the hardware area of your computer , from CPU usage being high , CPU temp, and GPU temp\usage I have a 750 ti oc edition and I had to cap the game to 40 fps so my CPU temp and usage wouldn't go high, now it reaches a maximum of 87 usage with a CPU temp of 65 max , still I find it should t reach that high , GPU usage for me its always on 99 I think and temp never reaches 70 degrees with the fps capped , they need to fix all this issues cause its a lot of people having the same issue

That may be your case , mine and others CPU gets a high level of CPU usage with at least in my case a max of 65 temp depending on the area , I haven't even reached a huge town /city yet , I'm afraid is gonna get higher.

Top Bottom