Unofficial FAQ for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Unofficial FAQ for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions regarding The Witcher III: Wild Hunt. If you have a general question about the game, please, carefully check here, before posting a new thread.

*Update: Some less common questions are answered in the posts that follow the main list. If you have a concern about a very specific feature of the game, please, be aware that we may not be able to answer it yet. If you are seeking opinions, or discussions of in-game features, please, be advised, this is not the thread in which to pursue them.

While considerable effort has been taken to ensure the
following information is both accurate and current with CD Projekt Red's disclosures regarding the game, please, bear in mind that this is an unofficial FAQ, and some details may be subject to change, after the game’s release. (References appear in parentheses below answers, or are linked in a quotation.)

Special thanks to our moderators, the Forum community,
jerf.674, who first suggested this thread, and, most of all, CD Projekt Red!

For a general game-feature overview, see here:
http://thewitcher.com/witcher3

For information about buying the game, retailers, and retail and digital content, see here:
http://buy.thewitcher.com

For more information about the complete series, the official community Witcher Wiki may be found here: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_Wiki

FAQ:

• On what platforms can I play The Witcher III?
The game is playable on PC (Windows only, at present), Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.

• Can my PC run The Witcher III? What are the system requirements?
Minimum System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 35 GB
Recommended System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 35 GB

(Most recent PC requirements: http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_preorder. For discussions of various individual PC-builds, see here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32979-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-PC-System-Requirements-are-here!?p=1604062#post1604062, or here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32239-Building-a-gaming-PC/page91)

For those concerned about AMD graphics' compatibility:
Many of you have asked us if AMD Radeon GPUs would be able to run NVIDIA’s HairWorks technology – the answer is yes! However, unsatisfactory performance may be experienced as the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD products. Radeon users are encouraged to disable NVIDIA HairWorks if the performance is below expectations.

Hope this information helps.

Notice: All questions regarding 'Ultra' graphic settings cannot be
definitely answered, as of yet.

(Those curious on the subject may find the following of interest:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-witcher-3-runs-with-60fps-at-ultra-settings-on-intel-i7-4790-with-gtx980-gets-new-screenshot/
)

Likewise, any questions regarding alleged graphic 'downgrading' in the game will not be entertained. It is CD Projekt RED's present standing policy to treat this subject as a rumour without creditable sources, and, as such, will not respond to the topic. Any such questions posted here will be ignored, and all attempts to open a thread regarding the question will be locked and removed by the moderators of the Forums.
Community and Website Coordinator Marcin Mamot has made the following comment on the issue recently:
These are just rumors, and as we've said before we don't comment on such. Secondly you have to remember that our game is a big release - a lot of people have been anticipating it and quite a few would like to gain some publicity from it even when it means talking about things which are not true. Wild Hunt comes out in a few days and you will be able to find out for yourself if the game is up to your standards. We believe so - we've worked really hard for 3 years to deliver you best possible experience - we love The Witcher as much as you do. To conlude we'd rather have you focus on the game and the fact that it's going to be in your hand in a matter of days. And one more thing - whenever we say something officially, we always put a person behind it.

• Can I use a console controller on PC?
Yes, the Sony Dualshock 4 controller, and the X-box controller are both supported on PC.
(Confirmed on the game’s Twitter account: https://twitter.com/witchergame/statuses/477427552374382592)

• If I want to play with a mouse and keyboard, can I remap the keys?
​​Yes, you can use mouse and keyboard, and map the keys you would like to use.
(Confirmed by José Teixeira of CDPR in a video interview: http://www.witcherbr.com/2015/04/entrevista-exclusiva-com-jose-teixeira.html#more . Also confirmed by Damien Monnier, in the Forum Q&A: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35297-Developer-Spotlight-2-Damien-Monnier)

• What languages are supported in the game?
The languages available vary from country to country. See here, for the official and complete list: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35388-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Language-availability

However, an important detail regarding digital editions:
Yes, PC editions on both GOG and Steam will be able to download additional language packs if they so choose. :)

• What fps can we expect the game to have on the three platforms?
The game will run in 1080p/30fps on PlayStation 4, and 900p/30fps on Xbox One. However, owing to the wide variety of PC-configurations, precise, detailed fps information for all PC-builds was not available as of this FAQ.

(
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-1080p-on-ps4-900p-on-xbox-one/1100-6424952/)

Minor note on graphic differences between Consoles and PCs:
There will be visible differences between console and PC (we always said so), stuff like:
- draw distance
- framerate
- resolution
-exclusive features such as hairworks

• Do I need to play the previous games before starting Wild Hunt?
No, The Witcher III is a new, stand-alone RPG, meant to be enjoyed by both new and returning players alike. If you wish to play the previous titles, they may offer you a deeper, richer perspective on the world of The Witcher, but it is not necessary in order to play.

• Should I read the books?
While you are encouraged to read the works of the franchise-creator Andrzej Sapkowski, and, while a familiarity with them may enhance your appreciation of the game’s story, enjoyment of the The Witcher III does not depend exclusively upon knowledge of the books.
(For more information regarding the book series, see here: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_series)

• How prominent is sex in The Witcher III? How gory is the game?
The Game is rated M by the ESRB, for ‘Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, and Use of Alcohol’. At present, it does not appear that there will by a censored version, so please be advised, the game will be quite graphic.
(For the official rating summary, see here: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33771&Title)

On the subject of region-specific censorship, the following has been supplied by
tahirahmed
:

First there is a toned down version of the game for Middle Eastern Region which covers frontal nudity and has less blood when you slice enemies. I am not sure but I think this version will be used in other regions as well, just like Witcher 2 for Australia but I only saw information about Middle East from Rafal Jaki and Marcin Momot .

I asked on GOG forums and one of their tech assist replied that GOG version won't have any censorship. It's only boxed/retail version that has censorship or the key from retail version redeemed on GOG.

To further confirm this I PMed Rafal Jaki today and asked the same question. He also replied with the same answer that GOG version won't have any censorship

I hope this will help people in deciding which version to get and alleviate any concerns they have.
And, a list of countries where this applies:
United Arab Emirates, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, and Lebanon

And I would not really call it a censored version :) Yes we had to cover the frontal nudity, and turndown some gore, but this is not what the game is about. The Arabic translation is high quality so we would like for the Arab Gamers to try it out.

• How do I transfer my savegames/plot-choices from the previous Witchers?
On PC, if you still have your save-files, they'll be imported automatically. On PS4, Xbox One, or if you no longer have your PC saves, an in-game conversation with a special NPC will allow you to recreate your story decisions from the previous titles.
(http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/27/the-witcher-3-on-consoles-can-simulate-world-states-cant-impor/)

Note: According to Miles Tost (M
ilezZ), in the most recent GOG.com Twitch Q&A (video currently unavailable), equipment, such as swords, armours, and quest-items, from the previous games will not be imported.

• So, The Witcher III is this huge open-world, right? Is it anything like Skyrim?
The Witcher III is a vast, multi-region game, comprising of two large areas, and several smaller ones, which combine to surpass the size of Skyrim's single-region open-world. But apart from size, there are some other very important differences. The Witcher series is inspired by the novels of Andrzej Sapkowski, therefore, the game is driven very much by its story, rather than pure, freestyle adventures. In The Witcher, you do not have the same options to customise your character's appearance, gender, or race, as in The Elder Scrolls. You'll play as Geralt of Riva, the Monster Hunter, a man with his own complex personality, histories, and relationships. While you will be able to customise your skills, gear, and even your hair and beard, you must don the mantle of the protagonist Geralt for most of the game. But what kind of man Geralt will be is largely up to you. . . .
(http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/29/what-the-witcher-3-owes-to-skyrim-and-how-it-surpasses-it/2/)

• How long is the game?
There are approximately 50 hours of main story gameplay, with an additional 50+ hours of side quests. For players who wish to explore and pursue all aspects of the game, there can be over 200 hours; however, this depends very much on your playing style, and quest-choices. An estimated average of 75 - 125 hours may be expected.
(http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-could-be-200-hours-long/1100-6426306/)

• Will there be support for modding?
Yes, a REDkit programme will be released at some point after the game's launch. This will allow players to create modifications to the game; however, as of now, no specific information is yet available.

• Where can I order the Collector’s Edition?
The Collector’s Edition is no longer available in most countries, and more copies will not be released.
Collector's Editions are now sold out or almost sold out in most countries. . . . the for sale date has past. We changed the release date, but due to the time it took to manufacture the physical goods that go into the CEs, more were not able to be made in time for launch. Hence, they are now running out.

• What are the 16 Free DLCs? How do I get them?
The FREE DLC program for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt consists of 16 entirely free DLCs, that will be available for every gamer owning a copy of Wild Hunt, for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PC, and PlayStation®4, and is applicable to all versions (digital or physical, standard or Collector’s).

On May 20th we will release the first bundle of DLCs (2 of the planned 16) -- the Temerian Armor Set (horse armor included) and a Beard and Hairstyle Set for Geralt, the game’s protagonist. After this date, a DLC bundle consisting of twoDLCs will be published every week, entirely for free. Gamers are entitled to the free DLC regardless of obtaining the game via pre-order or after launch. Instructions on how to obtain DLCs on specific platforms will be provided at a later date.

For additional details about the 16 FREE DLC program, please refer to the below QA

Q: What do I have to do to receive the 16 free DLCs?
A: The only thing you need to do to receive the 16 DLCs is purchase The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. All of the DLCs will be available for free on every platform (i.e. Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4).

Q: Do I have to pre-order to get the free DLCs?
A: No, each piece of content will be available for download regardless of you buying the game before or after launch on May 19th, 2015.

Q: I have the standard version of the game (i.e. not the Collector’s Edition). Do I still get the free DLCs?
A: Yes. You get the 16 DLCs regardless of the version of the game you bought (i.e. standard or Collector's, digital or physical).

Q: What’s the plan? When can I expect the DLCs to be released?
A: The plan is to release a new DLC bundle (each bundle contains two DLCs) on a weekly basis, following the game’s launch May 19th, 2015. The first DLC bundle will be released the next day on May 20th. The next bundle will be available for download a week after that, on May 27th, the next on June 3rd, and so on. The first bundle will contain the Temerian Armor Set and a Beard and Hairstyle Set for Geralt. The second bundle will contain an additional quest and an alternative look for one of the game’s main characters -- Yennefer of Vengerberg.

• What about the Expansions, are they part of the DLCs?
No, the two expansions, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, are independent of the 16 free DLCs. Purchasing The Witcher III will not grant you access to the Expansions. They must be purchased separately.

Hearts of Stone will premiere in October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016. Both expansions will be available on all three platforms: Xbox One, PC, PlayStation 4.
For more information on obtaining the expansions, please visit

• Does the Collector's Edition include any additional game content, such as DLCs or the Expansion Packs?
No, the announced DLCs are free for everyone who buys the game, and the Expansion Packs must be bought separately.

• Do I need The Witcher III to play the Expansions? Are they stand-alone games?
The Witcher III is required to play the Expansions: they are not stand-alone games.

• I’ve bought the PC retail copy of The Witcher III: what version of the Expansions do I buy?
The boxed PC version of the game is compatible only with the Expansion Pass sold on GOG.com.
(http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass)

• Does the retail version of the game use Steam or GOG Galaxy for installation? Do I need an internet connection to play?
No, the retail version is DRM-free and does not force you to use Steam or any other online platform; however, the game is available for purchase on Steam. If you purchase a digital copy, once you've downloaded the game, you will not need to be connected to the internet to play it. The same applies for the physical retail copy. Please note, however, an internet connection will be required to download patches, the 16 DLCs, and the digital Expansions.

Important information regarding PC retail version only:

A lot of you have been asking about the GOG.com code being in the boxed version of the game. The answer is YES! Please check below for more details regarding this fact.

Q: Do I need Internet access to install the retail PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt?
A: The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process. No worries, the file will not be big. Copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt produced after launch will not contain this security feature.

Q: Will there be any sort of serial number provided in the retail PC box?
A: The game does not require any serial code to install or play. However, each retail PC copy of Wild Hunt will contain an additional GOG.com game code for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. See below for details.

Q: What is the GOG.com game code found in the box used for?
The game code grants you access to a digital backup copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com. You will also receive full software support, i.e. future updates, as well as all the additional content like the 16 Free DLCs, the FLAC & MP3 soundtrack, comics, wallpapers, art book, all voice over packs and more.

Q: Can I install and play the game without the GOG.com game code?
A: Yes you can install and play the game without the game code.

Q: Will I be able to install updates and the free DLCs without using the GOG.com game code?
We decided to offer software support, DLCs, and extra goodies only to gamers who confirm their purchase with the provided game code on GOG.com. This is the only way for us to differentiate between you, honest gamers who bought our game, and pirates who snatched it from the Internet.

Q: Do I need to become a GOG.com user to play the game I just bought?
A: You can install and play the game without becoming a GOG.com user.

Update on Preload times:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is now available for preload on GOG.com and Steam with the Origin release following on the 14th. Everyone who pre-orders the highly anticipated, next-generation RPG, can choose to preload the game and be one of the very first to play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt when it goes live on May 19th.

At GOG.com, the simplest way to preload the game is through the recently announced GOG Galaxy client. GOG Galaxy is fully integrated into the DRM-free release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and includes convenient auto-updates, game time tracking and achievements.

The game is also available for preload to gamers who purchased Wild Hunt on Xbox Live, and will be available for PlayStation Network users soon.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be officially released and unlocked on May 19, at 1:00 AM CET (Warsaw time), i.e:

May 18th, 4.00 pm PT (Los Angeles)
May 18th, 7.00 pm ET (New York)
May 19th, 00.00 am BT (London)
May 19th, 2.00 am UT (Moscow)
May 19th, 8.00 am JT (Tokyo).

Disclaimer: Acting as a private member of this community, I have researched and compiled the above information, using the resources of this forum, game-magazine articles, and other internet sources. I can verify its accuracy only to the extent of the accuracy of the information in my sources, and my personal knowledge. I have compiled this list for the convenience and benefit of users and visitors of this forum. I am neither an employee of CD Projekt Red, nor am I affiliated with their company in any way; therefore, I do not claim to possess
privileged internal information regarding the development, publishing, marketing, technologies, nor any other aspect of said company's game titles. While the above text is intended to assist persons desiring general information about the game, it does not pretend to be exhaustive, nor definitive. Individuals are encouraged to make their own researches and inquiries, if they doubt, or are dissatisfied with, any point of the above.

Last edited:
I would mark questions with a little bit different color, because they visiually merge with links.

Other than that, GJ.

hello, I was wondering if we could have an answer about what are, the minimums spec for ultra in 1920x1080p ?

I preordered the retail collectors edition. Will I also be able to download the game on GOG? Or do I need to buy it separatly? (I have no more dvd drive).

after the main storyline is completed, can we continue playing, exploring, doing side quests ? as Geralt and/or Ciri?

As Geralt yes. You may continue and play side quests. I will provide a link in a moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1_8iQxewVYk

It's approximately four minutes into the video. You can continue to play side quests in the "world state" you have created through the main quest. I know it's been confirmed a couple other places too, but this is the first one I found.

Edited: More Recent Confirmation

http://www.paradiger.com/the-witcher-3-dev-on-time-meter-recreating-choices-ui-elements-side-quests/

タイラー @TylerFlesher98 @Marcin360 can I go back to play side quests after I finish the main quests? Or will the game finish/start a sort of new game plus mode? TW3

Marcin Momot @Marcin360 Follow @TylerFlesher98 you will be able to go back and continue doing side quests.
2:29 AM - 12 Apr 2015

I seriously doubt you can play as Ciri after the main quest is concluded, but I haven't seen officially one way or the other.

Last edited:
Just to highlight, in case some people have forgotten, this is a user-maintained thread to help newcomers find answers to things the rest of us already know. As we get more info, the thread will be updated.

It is NOT a Q&A thread for the devs, so please don't use it as a platform to ask questions that you KNOW haven't been answered yet. One post has just been deleted.

I think you forgot the questions about modding tools.

What did CDPR state? Witcher 3 would receive modding tools, right?

Just to highlight, in case some people have forgotten, this is a user-maintained thread to help newcomers find answers to things the rest of us already know. As we get more info, the thread will be updated.

It is NOT a Q&A thread for the devs, so please don't use it as a platform to ask questions that you KNOW haven't been answered yet. One post has just been deleted.

Thank you very much for reminding people of this!

For everyone's information, I'll be scaling back my visits to the Forum, as we approach May 19th. I'll look in on this thread, when I can, update information, if needed, and try to answer some questions, but I won't be around that much for a while. I'm very pleased to see that others are helping newcomers with questions, and I hope they'll continue to share their knowledge.

Thank you very much for reminding people of this!

For everyone's information, I'll be scaling back my visits to the Forum, as we approach May 19th. I'll look in on this thread, when I can, update information, if needed, and try to answer some questions, but I won't be around that much for a while. I'm very pleased to see that others are helping newcomers with questions, and I hope they'll continue to share their knowledge.

No update with the modding info :( ?

Extremely useful IMHO.

No update with the modding info :( ?

Extremely useful IMHO.

I made a quick search through some sources, but I didn't find much about modding. However, it will be supported -- that much has been confirmed -- but not with the game's first release . It'll follow some time later. The REDEngine is very complicated to use, as there are many new tools which they've created for the game, thus, the REDKit has to be made more user-friendly, before it is released. The details of its features aren't set yet. José Teixeira, in the Brazilian interview (
http://www.witcherbr.com/2015/04/entrevista-exclusiva-com-jose-teixeira.html#more), talks about it briefly. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for more information.

Top Bottom