Unofficial "multiplayer is still coming" announcement

+

Surma.

Forum regular
Looking at their new Job Offerings:

1622724660332.png

Checking further into the description:
1622733295815.png

Existing subsystems? Could it mean they already have quite advanced systems already in place? Or is it just general copy pasted from other job offerings and doesn't really mean what it implies for Multiplayer game developer?

You read a little bit more and it says:
1622744211010.png

So they're looking some Counter Strike / Overwatch / Call of Duty players with coding experience to make their multiplayer game.

And this didn't of course come as a surprise having listened in investors calls where they mentioned earlier this year having small team working on multiplayer features 2 years.

And having been long partner with Digital Scapes (multiplayer specified studio) being renamed CD Projekt RED Vancouver... yeah.
Wasn't really surprise to me.

Now what does it say in Digital Scapes Senior programming:
1622750534290.png

Matchmaking for first person perspective games.... huh?

We're going to get some competitive action!

Can't say I'm not excited reading about these job offerings. They're pushing for competitive PvP crowds and I'm sure we're going to see some tournaments with big prices in near future.

Last edited:

Guest 4564903

I never through they said MP was canceled, just being integrated into the current game rather than being standalone which to me is way better.

So many silly Youtubers and journalists said it was totally cancelled just to get clicks which was never the case.

So, not an announcement at all then, just speculation and prediction. Imagine a possibility whereby the whole idea gets canned 6 months / 6 years from now without ever having seen the light of day. Like millions of projects. Wishing to look into possibilities and wishing to pay someone to do that does not equate to anything else, and you'll only make yourself look silly getting all giddy with presumption that it means anything but that. What will be will be. Meanwhile, other games and pastimes exist. I heartily recommend some.

Surma.

Forum regular
I don't think that they ever said that MP plans are dead.
Not them, but some people in media still insist it's not coming and people here are repeating what media platforms are saying.

This is example from TechRadar
1622758785135.png

So, not an announcement at all then
That's I wrote "unofficial"

just speculation and prediction.
Well it was speculation when they acquired Digital Scapes and how they said they'll plan to introduce online elements in future content, without specifically naming existing titles.

Now they literally have listed Cyberpunk and Multiplayer in same page.

Imagine a possibility whereby the whole idea gets canned 6 months / 6 years from now without ever having seen the light of day. Like millions of projects.

That's going to be separate issue entirely. There's been studios like Blizzard who announced Star Craft Ghost being under development and then later canned that because they couldn't make it cool enough, or run into technical difficulties (fingers crossed they're going to revive that idea later).

But the trajectory clearly seems to indicate multiplayer is being planned, and they certainly have the knowledge (Digital Scapes) and resources to make it happen.

It shouldn't take them 6 years to do it, GTA 5 was able to make the online happen within a year after release, and it's not like they're planning an entirely new Cyberpunk game, as it was previously stated, that plan was cancelled, and multiplayer was planned to be implemented within the single player games, similar to GTA 5 gaining multiplayer on top of single player adventure.

I would find it very strange them to cancel the whole project after designing it 3-4 years, because they would somehow have some massive hurdle they couldn't overcome, or that they couldn't figure out a system to make the game interesting. It's first person shooter with driving and hacking and stealth. If they can't make anything interesting it would be very hard to fail if not impossible.

1622727534959.png

They could copy Battle Royale games... and in fact they already have posters in game about "No Life 3" which seems to be this sort of survival game where many enter and one leaves.

Or they could copy Counter Strike and make some form of mission focused multiplayer where other side is Corpo Agents and other side is Mercenaries and your mission is to free target captured by Arasaka, or stealing tech by hacking. And there's some good reason to suspect they're really keen on making something Counter Strike themed based on this [article].

Or they could copy some form of Battlefield gameplay where people enter into 10 vs 10 map and gain access to the mech suit similar to what Royce has and several other cyberpsychos. There's tank that is already fully driveable, and vehicles could easily be planted with some form of artillery on top, and there could be nethackers who could jam these tanks and cause weapons to malfunction. Ninjas could be deflecting cannon fire or just dodging them while rest of the roles would have to avoid them.

How can they not make that epic? Cyberneticly enhanced humans with hacking skills, futuristic weapons

There would easily be with some adjustment this rock paper scissors you can see in game like Overwatch, combined with vehicle physics and hacking, how could this fail on conceptual level?

Last edited:
not sure their ready for this...single player off line is in "poor" condition ...can you imagine it trying to run it on world wide servers with 70,000+ people running at the same time doing every imaginable thing at the same time ...crash,crash,crash
yeah I love Cyberpunk as much as anyone truly, but so far CP2077 has not inspired me with confidence with it's current history

Surma.

Forum regular
not sure their ready for this...single player off line is in "poor" condition ...can you imagine it trying to run it on world wide servers with 70,000+ people running at the same time doing every imaginable thing at the same time ...crash,crash,crash
yeah I love Cyberpunk as much as anyone truly, but so far CP2077 has not inspired me with confidence with it's current history
I think there's some reason to expect online to work better then.

Considering most crashes even since launch for base gen consoles had happened after 40 minutes to 4 hours of gametime. If they have to reload assets to play a round of "CyberStrike GO" and then return back to the single player game world (similar how Dark Souls handles PvP arenas), I'd say there's less things to worry.

Also in multiplayer there isn't merchants or NPC's walking around who need to get animated.

Vehicle physics and traffic could also be limited, especially in early online modes.

Biggest obstacle would really be just establishing some sort of servers to make matches, which I'd assume they already got framework to do that with the Gwent matchmaking, along with of course animating the other V characters faces and poses (I think they could be renamed something else entirely, for example when scanning they could generate random NPC name for the players).

We just simply don't know how far they've advanced in this field. They could already be testing 5v5 or 10v10 games on their private network in some Counter Strike fashion, buying guns in beginning of the round and blasting each others in some objective oriented map. Or they could have just tested yesterday that 2 players were even aware of the other players coordinates on some sort of GTA Online experience, where both players share same game world.

What is clear a LOT has been done when they started developing on it 2 years ago in smaller size team.

This game for example was developed by 1 person (as far as I know)

According to Wiki:
"Soldat was initially developed ---- beginning in November 2001. ---- released on 9 May 2002."
That's one year of development to make online game by a single guy.

Now imagine a studio large studio with "relatively small group" from studio of over 1000 developers, just for argument sake lets say 50 people, have been working on Multiplayer aspect for 2.5 years.

Just saying that 2.5 years with bare minimum of lets say even 10 people, you'd assume some results come out of it.

I'd assume they have some form of menu system, game modes, server to test this around, and they can measure things like delay, discussions whether they should have a recoil system and RNG for bullets etc, of course menu's could be primitive and game modes not nailed down, there could still be bugs that need to get ironed out etc... I'd assume some balancing work is done by Digital Scapes which have had history of balancing multiplayer games.

But for anything being in a some form of finishes package, yeah that's still all open question...

If E3 is going to show up something, it's likely small multiplayer mode could come with next gen update (lets call it 2.0), and expansion would likely (based on road map not having anything else in horizon until 2022, would arrive somewhere in summer to next winter.

Last edited:
The only "multiplayer" I could enjoy on Cyberpunk, it would be like in NMS, running into other mercs in Night City, maybe doing co-op GIGs, stuff like that. But in no case fights...
I hope if there is multiplayer, it will be not directly full PVP (or it will be without me, but that won't prevent me from sleeping either).

I think there's some reason to expect online to work better then.

Considering most crashes even since launch for base gen consoles had happened after 40 minutes to 4 hours of gametime. If they have to reload assets to play a round of "CyberStrike GO" and then return back to the single player game world (similar how Dark Souls handles PvP arenas), I'd say there's less things to worry.

Also in multiplayer there isn't merchants or NPC's walking around who need to get animated.

Vehicle physics and traffic could also be limited, especially in early online modes.

Biggest obstacle would really be just establishing some sort of servers to make matches, which I'd assume they already got framework to do that with the Gwent matchmaking, along with of course animating the other V characters faces and poses (I think they could be renamed something else entirely, for example when scanning they could generate random NPC name for the players).

We just simply don't know how far they've advanced in this field. They could already be testing 5v5 or 10v10 games on their private network in some Counter Strike fashion, buying guns in beginning of the round and blasting each others in some objective oriented map. Or they could have just tested yesterday that 2 players were even aware of the other players coordinates on some sort of GTA Online experience, where both players share same game world.

What is clear a LOT has been done when they started developing on it 2 years ago in smaller size team.

This game for example was developed by 1 person (as far as I know)

According to Wiki:
"Soldat was initially developed ---- beginning in November 2001. ---- released on 9 May 2002."
That's one year of development to make online game by a single guy.

This game was designed by 2 people, not sure how long it took them, but it clearly has pretty well working online functionality.

Now imagine a studio large studio with "relatively small group" from studio of over 1000 developers, just for argument sake lets say 50 people, have been working on Multiplayer aspect for 2.5 years.

Just saying that 2.5 years with bare minimum of lets say even 10 people, you'd assume some results come out of it.

I'd assume they have some form of menu system, game modes, server to test this around, and they can measure things like delay, discussions whether they should have a recoil system and RNG for bullets etc, of course menu's could be primitive and game modes not nailed down, there could still be bugs that need to get ironed out etc... I'd assume some balancing work is done by Digital Scapes which have had history of balancing multiplayer games.

But for anything being in a some form of finishes package, yeah that's still all open question...

If E3 is going to show up something, it's likely small multiplayer mode could come with next gen update (lets call it 2.0), and expansion would likely (based on road map not having anything else in horizon until 2022, would arrive somewhere in summer to next winter.
OK good points...hope they don't base the driving on the base game, low end cars drive well but the expensive ones SUCK...why they felt the need to create such strange handling is beyond me
I keep reading the word balance thrown around on these boards....surly this isn't because of a need to "balance" them out ...looks cool outside,looks cool inside( other than camera position), sounds impressive/cool, good top speed and acceleration, so they had to ruin handling and the brakes are practically non existent .. when brought up to CDPR the response is "it's not a priority" so I hope it is fixed before implemented in to multiplayer

The only "multiplayer" I could enjoy on Cyberpunk, it would be like in NMS, running into other mercs in Night City, maybe doing co-op GIGs, stuff like that. But in no case fights...
I hope if there is multiplayer, it will be not directly full PVP (or it will be without me, but that won't prevent me from sleeping either).
Well I certainly hope it's not ONLY going to be pure PvP in form of blasting each other in the face.
I mean that would be missing so many opportunities with what game offers with vehicles etc.

But if they're not going to have ANY shooty-shoot I'm going to be depressed.

I mean it would be like having Mario game without mushrooms.
Post automatically merged:

One point I forgot to bring out is of course that the game already has recoil after first initial shot.

So it's almost as if from the very beginning of the development, designing multiplayer was part of the design, and the longer you shoot an extended period, the mode gun will have spray (of course you could remove recoil with gun mod, which could of course be redesigned to just reduce recoil).

Last edited:
Well I certainly hope it's not ONLY going to be pure PvP in form of blasting each other in the face.
I mean that would be missing so many opportunities with what game offers with vehicles etc.

But if they're not going to have ANY shooty-shoot I'm going to be depressed.

One point I forgot to bring out is of course that the game already has recoil after first initial shot.

So it's almost as if from the very beginning of the development, designing multiplayer was part of the design, and the longer you shoot an extended period, the mode gun will have spray (of course you could remove recoil with gun mod, which could of course be redesigned to just reduce recoil).
What I mean and what I hope (for PvP) :
If I can fight with other players (like Battle royale) in certain areas because I choose to do it > Yes.
If I can get randomly killed by someone who is bored and has nothing better to do for fun > No.
All the "peaceful" multiplayer features would be great anyway :)

Guest 4564903

My only hope for MP is that we have co-op as my wife and I both love this game and it would be awesome to do things together in the world.

If I can get randomly killed by someone who is bored and has nothing better to do for fun > No.

Didn't NCPD warn you to stay armed at all times?

Getting blasted randomly in the streets sounds exactly what Cyberpunk would be all about :)

My only hope for MP is that we have co-op as my wife and I both love this game and it would be awesome to do things together in the world.
Who wouldn't want to drive with their friends around the city. :)

Guest 4564903

Awesome video, never seen that before!!

For sure, one of the great things about video games is having fun with friends and family.

Of course in Job description there's also mention

1622734923962.png

Sooo.... we should have no doubt it's going to be shooter focused online experience, or at the very least the job opening is aimed to the multiplayer shooter mode.

Sooo Valve... you mind CD Projekt borrowing your Dust 2 map for while?

Last edited:
Looking at their new Job offerings:

View attachment 11222165
Let that imagine sink in... take a deep breath... and hold that breath... and let it all out.

[source]

View attachment 11222195
Existing subsystems? Hmm... it sounds almost as if there already exists some initial systems, assume this means server maintenance or mechanisms in the game which connect to said servers.

And this didn't of course come as a surprise having listened in investors calls where they mentioned earlier this year having small team working on multiplayer features 2 years.

And having been long partner with Digital Scapes (multiplayer specified studio) being renamed CD Projekt RED Vancouver... yeah.
they implied the next witcher and cyberpunk games would have online features built in instead of making a completely online separate version. Which also suggests that the current cyberpunk would not be the Multiplayer focus. Things may change, but this is what they said when they announced there wasn't going to be cyber punk online standalone

I mean that would be missing so many opportunities with what game offers with vehicles etc
...and what else? Surely no one is asking for more "free roam" content than actually exists in the singleplayer game?
...or an immersive city without a believable system of policing, traffic and pedestrians.

Looking at their new Job offerings:

View attachment 11222165
Let that imagine sink in... take a deep breath... and hold that breath... and let it all out.

[source]

View attachment 11222195
Existing multiplayer subsystems? Hmm... it sounds almost as if there already exists some initial systems, assume this means server maintenance or mechanisms in the game which connect to said servers.

There will be no Multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077; Essentially, CDPR canned that in favor of creating a system that will be ubiquitous across all of their future games, linking every single player in all l future releases.

There's nothing like it, and I'm not entirely sure what it will look like, maybe MMO Style, maybe Diablo 8-16 Man Server Style, with dedicated PVP areas, trading, etc? Probably a unified server/group of servers like Battle.NET

All we know for sure is that both Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2 are confirmed, Multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077 is cancelled, but all future CDPR title will have online multiplayer, and they will all be connected somehow.

The actual gameplay elements that had been prepared for a Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer WILL see the light of day, to be clear! But likely in a future standalone Multiplayer title, or in Cyberpunk 2. Studios never waste mechanisms once they are built into their engine, the parts just get moved over to the next project if one gets cancelled.

After the poor reception that CP2077 received, CDPR is WISELY not willing to put the unveiling of their universal multiplayer on it's back. They'll let the heat die down, then release the system as something separate from CP2077

Last edited:
...and what else?
Well lets see... they could implement some kind of hacking mini game similar to Gwent.

I think I made post about it ages ago and it would involve making the hacking like a pokemon card game spinoff where you gain RAM as energy to use, have all sorts of spikes you could install on system which would have positive and negative effects.

Minigames with the arcade maybe. Maybe they could make some 1v1 arcade game where players could win other players coins (lets say participation costs 200 and you win 350).

Maybe some Braindance / VR experience with other players where it could still be some kind of shooter, but the physics are more akin to Quake 3 arena, with a lot of launching platforms. All sorts of different rules entirely, maybe no combat at all and it's more like capture the flag, where tackling enemy returns the flag, and you're given some form of short range tackle ability.

1622739943680.png

And I think thematically it would make sense when V equips his VR gear that he'd enter into online cyberspace experience, and there could be some kind of room (without menus) where you can access doors and behind them is basically the game mode. Half of it could be just something simple like briefly shown with the questline with River Ward, where I'd assume you're going to save the world from evil gangsters and not to shoot the civilians, some kind of target practice place where I guess you could invite a friend to race against who gets to complete it faster.

One game mode could be about hiding the Spider Bot and everyone would be send to find it.

Definitely I don't want gamemode with *Smash A button to eat hamburger faster*

Last edited:
Top Bottom