Unrealistic Expectations?

+
Unrealistic Expectations?

It's the 11th hour and I've been hyped for this game for such a long time. I've been visiting forums endlessly, reading/watching people's experiences, watching gameplay footage and trying avoid spoilers at the same time. My expectations are through the roof. I have an image in my head on how the game will play and what feels I will experience during my playthrough.

And now I worry that I've set myself up for some level of disappointment. The best experiences I've had have always come from games and movies I've had low expectation for, or walked-in blind knowing little about it. And some of the most disappointing experiences have come from stuff that I've been so excited for I almost lost sleep over.

I worry that although I know the game will be great, it just won't meet this expectation I have for it. That the feels I'm hoping for never surface to the same degree I envisioned during my personal build-up.

Anybody else worry too? Genuine concern? Or just last minute jitters?

The Witcher 3 is certainly a victim of over hype, as a fan I am excited for sure but it faced some of the most weird hype I have ever seen and maybe that is the reason why so many are getting disappointed now, I see games like Shadow of Mordor benefiting a lot from low hype though seeing the reviews I say TW3 managed to achieve what many others cannot because even after being so much hyped it managed to impress plenty of reviewers so I guess we will be satisfied too.

The game got allot of footage and coverage very early. So I have a good idea on what it will be about and I am not dissapointed so far ^^

I feel the same way man. I'm so hyped for this game I can't even play anything else or do something instead of checking the news about it. Heck, I have a job interview today but I'm more excited about the release.

I hope it lives up to my hype, it's set too high. :l

**************The Witcher 3 is certainly a victim of over hype*****************, as a fan I am excited for sure but it faced some of the most weird hype I have ever seen and maybe that is the reason why so many are getting disappointed now, I see games like Shadow of Mordor benefiting a lot from low hype though seeing the reviews I say TW3 managed to achieve what many others cannot because even after being so much hyped it managed to impress plenty of reviewers so I guess we will be satisfied too.

Is victim of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU

I know that I will not be disappointed in the game, story and gameplay wise. I had higher expectations of CDPR, I do not like that they have gone defensive and quiet about this apparent downgrade. It has not been handled well. I had CDPR on top dev list but now they have fallen down to EA, Ubisoft level and all because of how they chose to handle this. I will not order this game until they have addressed the public.

Hype is off the charts for me,but at the same time everything I have seen justifies the hype so woot less than 24 hours.

As long as you are not a graphic whore you certainly will not be disappointed. People who expect the game to look photorealistic (while most certainly not even having a high end PC) might be disappointed.

But so what? Even though this graphic whore group is a vocal one, it's also a small one in my experience, so I don't think CdProjekt have much to worry about. The vast majority of us will enjoy one of the best rpgs ever made, and this graphic fetishists can play other better looking games (not that I would know an existing open world game which actually would look better...) or lick some graphically superior walls in real life. ;)

I know that I will not be disappointed in the game, story and gameplay wise. I had higher expectations of CDPR, I do not like that they have gone defensive and quiet about this apparent downgrade. It has not been handled well. I had CDPR on top dev list but now they have fallen down to EA, Ubisoft level and all because of how they chose to handle this. I will not order this game until they have addressed the public.

Every PC game suffers when it goes multi platform there is nothing new about that, TW3 might suffered a bit more because of the limited man power CDPR has but it's completely rubbish to call them equal to EA and Ubisoft, those are treating PC gamers like crap from years despite having more resources and teams who handled bigger multi platform projects several times. This is CDPR's first huge multi platform project that is releasing simultaneously on all platforms so they'll learn a lot from it and we as supporters should at least give them one chance.

A post has been deleted. Next post that accuses anybody of any illegal conduct, the thread gets locked, and the poster gets banned.

Last edited:
As long as you are not a graphic whore you certainly will not be disappointed. People who expect the game to look photorealistic (while most certainly not even having a high end PC) might be disappointed.

But so what? Even though this graphic whore group is a vocal one, it's also a small one in my experience, so I don't think CdProjekt have much to worry about. The vast majority of us will enjoy one of the best rpgs ever made, and this graphic fetishists can play other better looking games (not that I would know an existing open world game which actually would look better...) or lick some graphically superior walls in real life.

Your flaming post isn't going to help either, maybe there is a rift between our thinking but people talking about downgrade are also part of the PC community, bashing the dev is certainly not encouraged but cornering those who have complaints doesn't make you sound cool either. Everyone have their preferences, you prefer gameplay over graphics they prefer something else it's the matter of choice.

Every PC game suffers when it goes multi platform there is nothing new about that, TW3 might suffered a bit more because of the limited man power CDPR has but it's completely rubbish to call them equal to EA and Ubisoft, those are treating PC gamers like crap from years despite having more resources and teams who handled bigger multi platform projects several times. This is CDPR's first huge multi platform project that is releasing simultaneously on all platforms so they'll learn a lot from it and we as supporters should at least give them one chance.

So what should the PC gamers do? just roll over and take it? We had higher expectations. I would have gladly waited another year after the release of the console versions if we would have gotten the "true" version that the devs wanted to make. But that is not the point what got me upset is the way they handled this as a company. But as you said they will learn.

Unreasonable expectations? i think the majority of gamers suffer from unreasonable expectation syndrome and it isn't because of hype.

Hype can skew our view of something but only if we let it. I never expect a game to be exactly how I would like it or create it because one it isn't made for me singularly and two because I didn't make it other people did. i also know that sometimes my idea might be something a developer wanted to do but was unable to do it. I know that projects i work on (not in the software field) often don't survive contact with the enemy. So what i wanted to do at the start isn't what is possible given my budget and time.

My main goal for an RPG is that i have an engaging story with decent game play to carry me through to the story elements. (In other genres game play is more important and story less so.) I don't let myself focus in on a few aspects of the game that i hope is in it. i don't take a tidbit of information about a feature and let my mind elaborate on it so i think the feature will be done like X when all they told me was that it could do Y.

I am excited to play the Witcher 3 but I expect it to be its own game, with things I like, love, am indifferent to and hate. So long as the parts I like and love are greater than the bits I hate i am happy with my purchase. It doesn't even have to be the most awesome game ever it just has to be worth the money i paid for it. i am not expecting it to be the best game ever because that is a high bar so if it doesn't reach that point I wont be disappointed so long as I enjoyed myself playing it. I THINK it will be a great game but I don't know it will be and I don't expect it to be the definitive RPG ever created.

If you manage your expectations you will enjoy games and life in general a lot more than if you let them run amuck.

Last edited:
Open world: Check

Authentic old school style RPG with organic feel: Check

Seen enough videos to be happy with what I see: Check

Pretty much happy.

My excitement is based on what I've seen & the over hype is if I expect it to cure world hunger.

Last edited:
Your flaming post isn't going to help either, maybe there is a rift between our thinking but people talking about downgrade are also part of the PC community, bashing the dev is certainly not encouraged but cornering those who have complaints doesn't make you sound cool either. Everyone have their preferences, you prefer gameplay over graphics they prefer something else it's the matter of choice.

Then they should play the Order 18XX something.. Sorry, this downgrade people are annoying as hell. No sympathy or understanding from my side for people like that. Especially after reading many comments (elsewhere) from this group of people, where they justify pirating the game, because of this perceived downgrade,

The Witcher is the best looking open world game in existence. Seriously what do these people expect on top of that graphic wise? And why should any sane person have understanding for many months of whining and bitching about a perceived downgrade of the graphics, they haven't even seen in their games yet?

Top Bottom