Update 4.0 Patch Notes

+
i dont like the poison change for Devil's Puffball.
poison decks were almost not played at all anyhow (regardless in what faction) and the changing of Devil's Puffball makes it even worse.
Devil's Puffball was not really powerful, but it had the cool effect that with some effort you would be able to poison-kill immune or protected units (e.g. by first poisoning the unit next to it => playing devils puffball => then repeat one more time)
sad that this mechanic is gone now. it was not overpowered and at least it was some fun to play

When will the update be already available to download? I bought the pack of Radovid and eager to open it, xd.

Fran lost her ability to res any special and gained one provision which has been taken away now so that leaves her with a huge nerf and zero buffs. She is not the problem. Other cards are. Nerfing her in this patch was pointless, she already had a massive nerf. If anything, that one additional provision point hardly compensated her nerfed ability in the first place, she should have at least 2.

What can I say, good job nerfing nerfed cards. Looking forward to Fran having 0 provision in the future patches.

Last edited:
I honestly think the changes made to Fran will suffice to move it out of its supposed "tier 0.5" state. If you still think she'll remain there, you probably should read the patch notes again. She'll still be powerful though, I assume. We'll see. Normally the new cards will cause the meta to be warped, anyway. If it surfaces again as a top deck, I'm sure we'll see a hotfix. And I love how they actively rework cards that no one plays.

Casual mode being unlocked again is good, but honestly last month it was a wasteland. Large waiting qeues, and for some reason I've faced more Fran and Calande (top5 decks) in casual mode than in ranked. And given you cannot drop rank in "ranked", I've made peace with casual being dead. They should seriously rework the mode so you can ban several cards. Maybe it's technically hard to do (as the decklist might only be known when the match is made) but it should be possible. Sometimes you just grow tired of facing certain decks, and for now, there's no alternative but "arena".

And I am sick and tired of facing a horribly piloted Arachas Queen during "Practice". That mode has turned into a pure goldfish-mode where you can "test" sequencing. They must've somehow programmed AI so the Thronebreaker game works. Why is it not available? I get that there's no rewards in PvE, but at least make it bearable.

And I am sick and tired of facing a horribly piloted Arachas Queen during "Practice". That mode has turned into a pure goldfish-mode where you can "test" sequencing. They must've somehow programmed AI so the Thronebreaker game works. Why is it not available? I get that there's no rewards in PvE, but at least make it bearable.

My best guess is they want to make you so sick of other game modes (such as casual and practice) that you're forced to play ranked to get some decent matches. Lack of engagement, that is.

Great patch, great atwork, the only sad thing is about Slave hunter. That was an amazing and fun card, perfect theme, which could combo with nilfgaardian knight for exemple. Easy 9 or 11 power, or steal good engine. I used to play 2 copies of it in my voorhis deck last season (rank 4).

I'm already charmed by these new illustrations and the 4.0 patch, but i'm a little worried about the disappearance of the chefs' cards. Decks list are very confused now.

Defenders are too powerful, don't you think?
Covenant of Steel + Sukrus is almost unbeatable, because 7 power could be removed in one turn with only a few cards, and next turn they play Sukrus and then you can't do anything =\
SY's defender actually spawns 2 defenders...

Overall, there is now a need to have 1-3 cards in a deck just to account for defenders. Was that the plan from the devs?

Sprou

Forum regular
Please remove armor and shield from defenders..

Yes defenders is so powerful

You must have banish card

Covenant of Steel + Sukrus is almost unbeatable, because 7 power could be removed in one turn with only a few cards, and next turn they play Sukrus and then you can't do anything =\

Overall, there is now a need to have 1-3 cards in a deck just to account for defenders. Was that the plan from the devs?
Move it ... or ... you know ... just purify it, like the rest of us.
You can also pass if your opponent has not won a round yet.

Covenant of Steel + Sukrus is more of a meme, purifying it is by far the most effective way anyways and Sukrus does not interfere with that.
i assumed people would start complaining once they realize Eist + Sigdriffa means you get 3 Covenant of Steels (and can use Freya for 4 copies of Svalblood Priest).

Move it ... or ... you know ... just purify it, like the rest of us.
You can also pass if your opponent has not won a round yet.

Covenant of Steel + Sukrus is more of a meme, purifying it is by far the most effective way anyways and Sukrus does not interfere with that.
i assumed people would start complaining once they realize Eist + Sigdriffa means you get 3 Covenant of Steels (and can use Freya for 4 copies of Svalblood Priest).
Like I said, we now HAVE to have cards in a deck to account for these defenders. I can't remove them quickly with my awesome tactics deck, a hyperthin and few others. I was doing very well with some decks that don't have banish or purify at all but now it's just too overwhelming when the opponent develops under defender.

Last edited:
Like I said, we now HAVE to have cards in a deck to account for these defenders. I can't remove them quickly with my awesome tactics deck, a hyperthin and few others. I was doing very well with some decks that don't have banish or purify at all but now it's just too overwhelming when the opponent develops under defender.
you don't have yennefer's invocation in your NG decks?

i dont like the poison change for Devil's Puffball.
poison decks were almost not played at all anyhow (regardless in what faction) and the changing of Devil's Puffball makes it even worse.
Devil's Puffball was not really powerful, but it had the cool effect that with some effort you would be able to poison-kill immune or protected units (e.g. by first poisoning the unit next to it => playing devils puffball => then repeat one more time)
sad that this mechanic is gone now. it was not overpowered and at least it was some fun to play
It was unique I guess since immune units are going away they changed it. Iy
I honestly think the changes made to Fran will suffice to move it out of its supposed "tier 0.5" state. If you still think she'll remain there, you probably should read the patch notes again. She'll still be powerful though, I assume. We'll see. Normally the new cards will cause the meta to be warped, anyway. If it surfaces again as a top deck, I'm sure we'll see a hotfix. And I love how they actively rework cards that no one plays.

Casual mode being unlocked again is good, but honestly last month it was a wasteland. Large waiting qeues, and for some reason I've faced more Fran and Calande (top5 decks) in casual mode than in ranked. And given you cannot drop rank in "ranked", I've made peace with casual being dead. They should seriously rework the mode so you can ban several cards. Maybe it's technically hard to do (as the decklist might only be known when the match is made) but it should be possible. Sometimes you just grow tired of facing certain decks, and for now, there's no alternative but "arena".

Casual is pretty dead right now too. So much I faced a bot today

I entered version 4.0 without having read patch notes or watched the overview video, so it was a bit of a shock how much had changed. But in a good way. One of the loading screens had Blue Stripes Commandoes... and said SHUUUUUUUUUPEEEEEEE! -- which was absolutely hilarious.

Really happy that I can play casual again, too. Just need to look through all these new (and changed) cards to build some decks first, though.

Dev decreaae damage of units and then put harmor and defenders:shrug:. Confusion

Top Bottom