UPDATE 5.2 IS NOW AVAILABLE!

+
Regarding the forced auto-milling and reduced rewards- I don't think it's the right way to go about things. I've played Hearthstone for 7.5 years and stopped recently when I saw that Gwent wasn't such a moneyhog (well CDPR actually). For those 7.5 years I have not invested any money whatsoever in Heartstone just because of how greedy Blizzard is, because I do not want to support such a policy. I started playing Gwent a couple months ago and felt good about giving my money for this game because I thought I am supporting this different kind of policy (especially when it comes to TCGs) that CDPR stands for. A week and a half in Gwent, I'd already bought 3 starter packs and planned to buy some cosmetics also but now I am reconsidering whether to support these new tendencies.

My nightmare is that Gwent becomes like Blizzard's Heartstone - a greedfest where the 70% winrate class is rotated every expansion, you cannot have a decent collection with casual play because they dump 200 cards every 3 months making the other 2000 worthless and obsolete, extremely polarised matchups where people just forfeit before first turn just because the outcome of the matchup is 100% guaranteed, and so on... Please don't turn Gwent into Heartstone. Make (and keep) the content more accessible and people would gladly spend more!

And about meteorite powder, the EA ' SENSE OF PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT ' spiel, really? It was hard enough to get as it was. Now it just makes me want to go around the powder reward nodes in reward trees. Hopefully this gets addressed. Good luck and see you on the ladder.

Last edited:
I'm in favor of the reduce rewards, I brought it up in my own topic post that CDPR was being too generous with the amount of ores, scrapes, kegs they were literally tossing at you. I never said anything about the MP.

I for one like this balance changes, however, I don't understand why it took them so long to figure it out?

Caretaker rework, I simple don't like.

Reducing ore, scrap, keg, rewards makes zero sense though, as you want new players to get the cards they need and be competitive fast, without making the game pay2play with high cost of entry like countless other CCG out there.

Reducing the powder rewards could make sense if you plan to not make any more cosmetics and start a long game shut down period.
But if you actually plan on continuing game development, a lot better strategy would be to pump out a ton more cosmetics (there is still plenty of assets left from Thronebreaker which would cost nothing to put into Gwent) and ensure there are always more cosmetics in the shop then people have powder for and make all cosmetics for powder-or-cash.
Sure some long time players who might have 50k+ powder from beta days could get everything in the short run, but if you focused on producing quality cosmetics at A LOT higher rate then currently you would have no issue with powder rewards being as they were from reward trees as there would be a lot more stuff to spend it on, and people would start buying powder eventually.

But reducing powder rewards to a point that you might as well remove them from the reward trees does nothing for your game economy and actually making money; and killing all existing trees further alienates players who will be even less likely now to give you any cash for anything Gwent related.
It just seems IMO like the team making these decisions does not know what they are doing.

And some of this EA stile BS like "We want to make powder feel like special currency, used for special purposes." is very troubling coming from developers who work for CDPR.

:(:(:(

Last edited:
I've had the honor of finding this game through Lifecoach, and after falling in love with it I've been playing it on-and-off since.

I'm saddened to see issues (auto-mill seems like a blunder) and I'd just like to show a little support as well.
Shine on, you crazy diamonds!

"Comment: After we decided to limit Artifact Removal to neutral cards, ..."

So
A - Each to his own artifact secenario and may the best scenario win
B - Use cards that give nothing else other than break the others secenario
C - Forget about the other's scenario because I am sure it will be a hindrance to his deck
D - Bad, poorly planned design, deal with it.

Great options all round.

Hey all. I love this game but nerfs are getting a little weird...

For instance, the new Reinforced Trebuchet, there is no more inspired. Now its only able to damage a unit on the ranged row. They said it was done to make the card "easier to work around"?? Or some weird reason.

Reinforced Trebuchet was good before as well. I included it in many decks with the old (current) ability.

It seems CDPR has a roadmap. Not a roadmap for building and improving the game as players have asked for (so that loads of money will flow in naturally), but a roadmap focused on making quicker bucks. Let's look at some steps:

- Saying that the full collection mill with HC would give MP and scraps for premium cards, then changing that to scraps only
- A few months after HC full collection mill, removing the possibility to craft premiums with scraps only
- Removing leader cards from players' collections, cards that players have spent reward points, scraps or even real money on
- Reducing the amount of cards that get full mill value after being completely reworked
- Offering premium kegs in the Shupe shop for 4000 scraps (sure it's optional, but lol, 4000 scraps)
- Decoupling leaders from abilities to monetize leader skins, unsuccessfully hiding the need for balancing leader abilities
- Selling expansions with premium cards for new AAA game prices while the premium cards are not even ready
- Completely removing full mill value for cards that get a complete rework (in this year of supposed game balancing)
- Reducing the amount of MP that can be gained by playing so much that MP will have to be bought with real money to get a premium collection unless players are willing to make grinding for MP their day/night job. Insulting EA-style explanation.
- Auto-milling duplicates in players' collections, basically telling players that CDPR don't respect players' decision making and time and money spent on the game. Milling duplicates of standard versions make it more expensive for players to get both standard and premium full collections as transmuting a duplicate standard to premium is no longer possible.
- Not making the seasonal trees from last year available again and then stating that decisions have changed. Decisions change people. What they said yesterday can be different today. Remember that EULA's don't say anything about ethics. Probable intent: Stimulate players to complete seasonal trees in one go. Play more or buy the package.
- No dev stream for this latest update. Announcing and explaining this stuff live and in person would be brave.

Feel free to add/correct.

I get it. CDPR is a commercial company and wants to make (more) money. The changes still only affect cosmetics. But why not stop the BS communication that insults the intelligence of players, improve communication/cooperation/relation with players and start focusing on really improving the game? Besides problematic mechanics and card abilities, look at the amount of bugs in the game, newly introduced and/or not fixed for a long time. Where is the good old CDPR overall quality?

It didn't make it interesting and had nothing to do with flavor, an inspired machine makes no sense. The trebuchet got his buff because NR as a faction was underperforming and the devs decided to throw some keywords around without any rhyme or reason just to give it more power.
An added mechanic is certainly more interesting than making it more bland, one dimensional, and weaker. Don't rework something just to change it back later. That just shows you don't know what you are doing.

Common, Northern Realms has been good for awhile now, alot changed for NR about a year ago, and this change has been very positive and made all (or most) NR archtypes playable and pretty good too.

The North was made good again, and it's still good. Actually, the North might be the most perfectly tuned faction of all at this point, and if anything they should re-adjust other factions OP and UP based on how strong and balanced NR is.

That! Sometimes I think I'm playing a completely different game than the majority here. :shrug:

rrc

Forum veteran
It seems CDPR has a roadmap. Not a roadmap for building and improving the game as players have asked for (so that loads of money will flow in naturally), but a roadmap focused on making quicker bucks. Let's look at some steps:

- Saying that the full collection mill with HC would give MP and scraps for premium cards, then changing that to scraps only
- A few months after HC full collection mill, removing the possibility to craft premiums with scraps only
- Removing leader cards from players' collections, cards that players have spent reward points, scraps or even real money on
- Reducing the amount of cards that get full mill value after being completely reworked
- Offering premium kegs in the Shupe shop for 4000 scraps (sure it's optional, but lol, 4000 scraps)
- Decoupling leaders from abilities to monetize leader skins, unsuccessfully hiding the need for balancing leader abilities
- Selling expansions with premium cards for new AAA game prices while the premium cards are not even ready
- Completely removing full mill value for cards that get a complete rework (in this year of supposed game balancing)
- Reducing the amount of MP that can be gained by playing so much that MP will have to be bought with real money to get a premium collection unless players are willing to make grinding for MP their day/night job. Insulting EA-style explanation.
- Auto-milling duplicates in players' collections, basically telling players that CDPR don't respect players' decision making and time and money spent on the game. Milling duplicates of standard versions make it more expensive for players to get both standard and premium full collections as transmuting a duplicate standard to premium is no longer possible.
- Not making the seasonal trees from last year available again and then stating that decisions have changed. Decisions change people. What they said yesterday can be different today. Remember that EULA's don't say anything about ethics. Probable intent: Stimulate players to complete seasonal trees in one go. Play more or buy the package.
- No dev stream for this latest update. Announcing and explaining this stuff live and in person would be brave.

I get it. CDPR is a commercial company and wants to make (more) money. The changes still only affect cosmetics. But why not stop the BS communication that insults the intelligence of players, improve communication/cooperation/relation with players and start focusing on really improving the game? Besides problematic mechanics and card abilities, look at the amount of bugs in the game, newly introduced and/or not fixed for a long time. Where is the good old CDPR overall quality?
Bravo!! Amazing write up! Everything about cosmetics and the greedy shit is kind of acceptable. It is a business and they are slowly getting bolder and bolder by not respecting players and not trying to hide it too. All their focus and decision about MP can be attributed to the financial aspect. But [...]. Promising that the seasonal tree will be available and then simply not doing it and when asked saying that “we never told that it will be repeated” and when people show the proof that it was indeed a lie saying that “sorry for the miscommunication”.. I mean it was disgusting and unbelievable that these things happened. Wouldn’t it be PR 101 to apologise for the mistakes? [...]
At some point the decided not to use the same trees so that people will have to spend money. Why not at the very least have the decency or respect for players to inform that? Is that due to pure greed or just lazy community management or simply “it is a free game and we can do whatever s**t we want to do. Just take it or leave it” attitude?

I had always been understanding and accepting MP related changes, but this is simply unacceptable. Lost huge amount of respect on Gwent and CDPR due to this. It is a freaking 8 billion dollar company working on only 3 products (2077, GoG, and Gwent). Second largest game company in Europe. And yet doing this kind of poor management and have utter disrespect for players.

Edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:

I lost everything because of those first 2 you listed. All my premium cards that I spent money on through mp in Beta were milled into scraps.

Then they say premiums cant be crafted with scraps! Basically my entire collection was devalued. They took my money and ran, giving no refunds out either. People kind of forgot about this outrage since it happened so long ago, but I'm glad someone still remembers.

I promised I'd never buy another CDPR game after they cheated me like that.

After posting a thread here about adding payable exchangeable music themes to the ingame experience, I later realized that Gwent is not about money for CDPR, it's simply a marketing tool for GoG. It was never intended to be a good source of income for them, but rather just adding whatever possible as a secondary purpose.

1. Gwent is free and you can play just as well without paying
2. Premium cards is not a requirement to be able to play the game

So stop whining and try to be happy we have Gwent for free. Try to be productive in the criticism rather than just complain. I think the ONLY consideration CDPR has for Gwent is that CDPR is a public company and cannot justify sinking too much money into something that is never going to be profitable on it's own. Sure, they can sink reasonable amounts of resources into it without expecting a direct payback in form of profit.

I don't know where this illusion comes from that CDPR is some kind of philanthropic and fantastic company, I think this bubble has burst some time ago. But as long as they are decent and not annoying and just plain out greedy and terrible like most companies, we should be quite happy about it.

Gwent could in theory become a popular game, but how big a market is there really for Gwent? I think most people who play Gwent heard of it through their main Witcher franchise. It's absolutely not a big market to take from, unless Gwent becomes popular as a standalone game somehow and new players start coming organically from the wider market, by word of mouth, or simply wanting a good online game (that's not an FPS) or specifically a card game.

Until then, or just simply, we should be happy we have a game like Gwent, and that CDPR is willing to spend resources on making such a game experience for us. I don't think we need to blame them for trying to generate some extra income from it. I mean, if that was the case we could have been outraged years ago when we first saw the prices of card kegs.

After posting a thread here about adding payable exchangeable music themes to the ingame experience, I later realized that Gwent is not about money for CDPR, it's simply a marketing tool for GoG. It was never intended to be a good source of income for them, but rather just adding whatever possible as a secondary purpose.

1. Gwent is free and you can play just as well without paying
2. Premium cards is not a requirement to be able to play the game

So stop whining and try to be happy we have Gwent for free. Try to be productive in the criticism rather than just complain. I think the ONLY consideration CDPR has for Gwent is that CDPR is a public company and cannot justify sinking too much money into something that is never going to be profitable on it's own. Sure, they can sink reasonable amounts of resources into it without expecting a direct payback in form of profit.

I don't know where this illusion comes from that CDPR is some kind of philanthropic and fantastic company, I think this bubble has burst some time ago. But as long as they are decent and not annoying and just plain out greedy and terrible like most companies, we should be quite happy about it.

Gwent could in theory become a popular game, but how big a market is there really for Gwent? I think most people who play Gwent heard of it through their main Witcher franchise. It's absolutely not a big market to take from, unless Gwent becomes popular as a standalone game somehow and new players start coming organically from the wider market, by word of mouth, or simply wanting a good online game (that's not an FPS) or specifically a card game.

Until then, or just simply, we should be happy we have a game like Gwent, and that CDPR is willing to spend resources on making such a game experience for us. I don't think we need to blame them for trying to generate some extra income from it. I mean, if that was the case we could have been outraged years ago when we first saw the prices of card kegs.
You want constructive criticism? Here you are: we have a brand New empty Reward Book page: bringa Back the old Seasonal Trees in the middle of that. And I will play the sh*t out of this game. Why can't they do that? And keep the promises....

Just like others I'm questioning whether these changes were truly necessary.

I for one spend at least 100€ on this game from the first special edition "40$ packs", while I absolutely did not have to as you were very generous to freeloaders (and I pretty much had all the cards already). I felt like I wanted to support the game out of choice. For the record: I don't regret it as I've had a lot of fun with the game (mostly during beta). But in hindsight, it turned out to be a "bad investment" - as we're all seemingly using economic terms now - given you turned the game into a shell of its former self. I like the cosmetic changes but in terms of gameplay it's still lagging behind the original Gwent concept imho. In terms of offline play it's also far worse.

It's baffling how they're basically pulling an "EA" here, though they do mention they want to turn it into an actual currency, so at least they're not clowning around it. It feels like you're on a cloud from the recent Witcher fan gain from the series to the video game and - hopefully - to here, and it's probably the same crowd that spends hundreds of $ on mobile games, so I hope you'll be succesful. But understand that the more you relatively decrease the perception of the original Gwent fans, the more they will stop and move on to other things. Add to the fact that - for the new crowd - it's simply not that interesting anymore. It's very dangerous nowaday to craft a card as it'll probably get nerfed sooner or later (given the latest changes) and you're left feeling cheated, having yet another reason to move onto other things.

Again: not angry or regretful. Just disappointed. Don't forget how your fans heeded your call and massively preordered your next game through your own channel, vastly increasing your income (as Steam's cut is off). But it's never enough, isn't it?

So stop whining and try to be happy we have Gwent for free. Try to be productive in the criticism rather than just complain.

Gwent being free is not a blanket excuse to just ramp up the costs (i.e. exclusivity) of premiums once again. And while I agree that constructive criticism is much preferred over simply complains, there isn't much constructive to add here. Players feel that they were misinformed by CDPR regarding the return of seasonal trees and they feel the company has taken another step in the wrong direction with introducing auto-mill.

Personally speaking, I have to agree with the majority here. I don't know what roadmap CDPR has in mind, but I am starting to lose faith. The decisions CDPR has made over the past year and their focus (or there lack of) has me worried.

Milling duplicates of standard versions make it more expensive for players to get both standard and premium full collections as transmuting a duplicate standard to premium is no longer possible.

Are you sure? After logging in a couple of times and watching the automiller firing, or all the gold cards I had +2x in my collection, it happens to be the ones that I didn't have premium that are still at 2x. So I think they actually programmed in a cap of 2 (either 1+1 or 2 regular). I hope they won't get milled after logging in another time. Not that I care that much, but just mentioning. [EDIT: Sorry, you're right. Next time I logged in those were gone too. Quite unfair to all those "full collectors". But harmless to the standard player. But this IS a collectible card game.].

And to emphasise my personal stance: I don't know if everybody noticed, but there's a negative trend concerning this behavior of devs. It starts with this, and it gets gradually worse. I agree the game's monetization scheme is still fine, but they had the 'handicap' that they started out very generous, and now it's starting to feel like it's going downhill fast. As for this "roadmap". Give me this roadmap instead of these blatant shifts other devs to. At least it's smoother. The question is: where will it end? :p

Maybe they are paying the price for being too kind, but you can't expect the player base to just swallow it, as they might be testing the waters and nerfing it... Just like they nerfed the waters of Brokilon. :p

Last edited:
There is a saying that you shouldn't ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by incompetence. The trouble is that whatever the reason behind CDPR making all these adverse changes, it leaves unhappy players and customers.

I have spent a great deal of money on this game to date, and was happy to do so. I enjoyed the game and was happy to be able to support its development and the people behind it. CDPR had a great track record and had earned my trust because of it.

Trust is hard won and easily lost. Over the last half of Gwent's lifespan, CDPR have gradually eroded that trust. I no longer have faith in them. What are the consequences for CDPR of losing that trust? I'm just one customer, so not much really, although it is true that one unhappy customer can often be much more impactful than several happy ones.

Consequently, I will no longer spend any more money on Gwent. There are several reasons, but the most important is that I can no longer trust CDPR. Statements they make, they go back on, with little or no explanation or prior warning. Items that I owned are removed without consent or compensation. Why would I spend more money under such uncertain circumstances?

This loss of trust has a knock-on effect too. I will never pre-order anything from them ever again, including Cyberpunk. I will wait to see what they actually deliver before I part with any money, it would be foolish not to.

I only mentioned the rewards were generous, maybe a bit too generous when we were getting full value of scrapes and MP for milling extra cards, just look at how much the rewards in the reward book gives before the huge NERF.

After the changes to the value of the cards and forcing auto-mill, that is a direction I personally think is wrong. CDPR should of just reduce the rewards value from the rewards book and kept everything the same.

gwent mill2.png

ok 2nd part of my cards got milled (still not all of them so it's still not working), their value amounts to 4600 scraps, why the hell i got 4430? obviously there is no way of telling which cards those were, so i have no idea if powder is correct, what is going on guys?

Last edited:
Top Bottom