Update DLSS to increase performance and remove artifacts

+
Apparently it is possible to update the DLSS version of a game by simply exchanging the databse file. This was done by Alex of DigitalFoundry for Doom Eternal:

Furthermore, there exists a mod for Cyberpunk 2077 that updates DLSS to 2.2:

Both report reduced ghosting and one user of the CP2077 mod reported an increased performance (11%). However, another user reports two issues related to fences and neon signs.

I do find this interesting and I'm also wondering if thiss database file could be updated with the GPU driver in the future. Furthermore, it should be easy for developers to integrate a new version of DLSS given that the issues with 2.2 already is rather small.

Has anyone here tried this? I would be interested in your experience.

exxxed

Forum veteran
Been using it for a while, it's smoother overall and it seems that the Auto DLSS stays at a higher internal resolution more often than not resulting in a better overall image quality (could also be placebo but it looks good to my eyes).

I haven't been noticing any more issues that have not been present with the previous DLSS version to be fair, but I wasn't really paying attention to the minutiae as I was too busy being immersed.

It can only improve from here once CDPR officially implements it into the game and takes full advantage.

There's also this video on it, which shows a decrease in VRAM usage which is why I would guess that the Auto DLSS would seem sharper to my eyes.

This sounds interesting, I will probably update DLSS on my CP2077 as well before my next gaming session^^

@exxxed Are you also using this?

exxxed

Forum veteran
Never needed it, with 4k DLSS Auto the mirror's look alright for me in the game.

Seems like that process involves messing with the DLSS itself which beats the purpose for me since I use the Auto scaling rather than a specific option.

Thanks for sharing that though for people who are having problems.

Never needed it, with 4k DLSS Auto the mirror's look alright for me in the game.
While addressing the "issue" with mirrors is one thing it apparently also increases the sharpness/crispiness of DLSS, which is an entirely different thing. (Well, aside from the fact that both are related to DLSS.)

Seems like that process involves messing with the DLSS itself which beats the purpose for me since I use the Auto scaling rather than a specific option.

Thanks for sharing that though for people who are having problems.
Yeah, that would probably be more tricky for you since you don't know in advance what Sharpness value you should be using given that the DLSS setting adjusts dynamically.

Yeah, that would probably be more tricky for you since you don't know in advance what Sharpness value you should be using given that the DLSS setting adjusts dynamically.
It also might be possible that changes to rendering.ini get stuck to the save files, causing persistent issues like flickering reflections of sunlight. (like the sunlight when you look into trees, or reflections on cars.)

It also might be possible that changes to rendering.ini get stuck to the save files, causing persistent issues like flickering reflections of sunlight. (like the sunlight when you look into trees, or reflections on cars.)
I've heard that but I could never confirm that myself, even though I did mess around with DrawDistanceBosst. Sure, it did introduce issues but they where gone when I reverted the changes (and I did save with this setting enabled). I'm currently having a few additional ini modifications and did not experience any issues, so I wouldn't recommend to generally avoid modifying these ini files.

However, I also think that if someones thinks that those modifications did get stuck into a save file, a bug report should be created and the save file should be sent with the report. The reason for this is that if this truly is the case, then this is some kind of unexpected behaviour CDPR might be able to fix. While the probably currently do not care much about players changing the game and then having an issue, this could point to an altogether different bug that needs fixing.

I've heard that but I could never confirm that myself, even though I did mess around with DrawDistanceBosst. Sure, it did introduce issues but they where gone when I reverted the changes (and I did save with this setting enabled). I'm currently having a few additional ini modifications and did not experience any issues, so I wouldn't recommend to generally avoid modifying these ini files.
It happened to my save files with the draw distance boost.

However, I also think that if someones thinks that those modifications did get stuck into a save file, a bug report should be created and the save file should be sent with the report. The reason for this is that if this truly is the case, then this is some kind of unexpected behaviour CDPR might be able to fix. While the probably currently do not care much about players changing the game and then having an issue, this could point to an altogether different bug that needs fixing.
Sure thing they need to be aware of it. The next gen patch might come with its own [Streaming] DistanceBoost. If many people have ini-mods stuck to their files without causing issues now, it might be causing issues as soon as the next gen patch gets installed.

I've included videos and a save file in my report that I've sent to cdpr's official support team. I also left a comment on nexusmods website.

I had to delete all save files that I was using since the mod got installed. I've also rolled back to version 1.22.

It happened to my save files with the draw distance boost.

Sure thing they need to be aware of it. The next gen patch might come with its own [Streaming] DistanceBoost. If many people have ini-mods stuck to their files without causing issues now, it might be causing issues as soon as the next gen patch gets installed.

I've included videos and a save file in my report that I've sent to cdpr's official support team. I also left a comment on nexusmods website.

I had to delete all save files that I was using since the mod got installed. I've also rolled back to version 1.22.
Interesting... I assume the issues where the ones you reported above: "...flickering reflections of sunlight. (like the sunlight when you look into trees, or reflections on cars.)". Did you have any other issues?

Also, you only changed DrawDistanceBoost, nothing else? Also, do you mind sharing those videos? I would be really interested what this looks like. For Witcher 3, I have excessively changed ini values w/o any persistent issues and honestly there shouldn't be any with CP2077. Therfore, I would be really interested in said issue.

Are you able to reproduce it? (Have you tried reproducing it?)

[Edit: at the request of @Azulath, I've created a new thread. @moderators feel free to edit or delete this post.]

It would be great if more people could help figuring this out.
I've made a backup from the affected save files. PM me if you want me to send you one of them for testing.

(I'm suffering from photosensitive migraine, so my possibilities are limited. I'm always wearing sunglasses when playing CP2077, but sometimes that's not enough.)

Interesting... I assume the issues where the ones you reported above: "...flickering reflections of sunlight. (like the sunlight when you look into trees, or reflections on cars.)". Did you have any other issues?
I've encountered these three issues:
#1)
textures and objects flickering and disappearing (This is the main issue)
#2) flickering sunlight (probably not persistent with save files, but not entirely sure)
#3) every second time I loaded the same exact save file, issue #1 was gone, but occurred again with the very next quick-load.

Cause of the issue:
#1)

[Streaming]
Distance Boost = 50.000000
_Note: I've tried values from 42.000000 to 60.000000, not sure which one got stuck)
#2)
[DLSS]
Enable = true
EnableCustomMipBias = true
EnableMirrorScaling = true
MirrorScaling = 1.000000
Sharpness = 1.00000
_Note: @4K ; DLSS_Performance. As mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if this ini tweak persisted with the files, but when it does, it might explain issue #3 in some way. The Draw Distance Boost is the one that started causing the issues.
#3)
Not sure what was causing this. Maybe different versions of rendering.ini got stuck to the same save files.

Videos:
#1)
The DLSS mod [#2)] was not installed when I made this video.

# 1 ; 3)

Reproduction:
I was able to solve the issue by deleting the affected save files and by rolling back to version 1.22. Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the issues. Like I said earlier, my possibilities are limited.

In case you want to try to reproduce it,
  • Set the value of [Streaming] DistanceBoost between 48.000000 and 60.000000,
    • get inside Delamain HQ, stand close to the reception and create a manual save-file,
      then fast-travel to Charter ST, there you create another manual save-file.
      • At Charter ST, keep an eye on objects and buildings in the distance, as well as textures on the ground.
        • If you see textures missing or flickering, close the game, remove the tweaks from the ini, launch the game again and load the save-file at Charter ST to see if the issue persists.
        • If you don't see any issues after the fast-travel to Charter ST, quick-load the recent save file by pressing F9 once to see if it makes a difference.
          • To avoid issues on future save files: delete all auto-saves and quick-saves, as well as the manual save-files that have been created while the mod was installed.
          • differential diagnosis: Clean-install GPU drivers
          • Assumptions:
            • If the issue also occurs on old save files: Deleting the new save files (that have been created while the mod was installed) might be enough to solve the issue.
            • Pressing Continue in the main menu might not show any of the mentioned issues.

------------ ----------- ---------- --------- -------- ------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- -
System: Ryzen 9 5950x ; rtx 3090 ; 4x8gb ddr4 3600 cl15 ;
Win10 20H2 ; Cyberpunk v.1.23 /1.22 ;
All drivers and BIOS are up-to-date ;
Resizable Bar enabled .
------------ ----------- ---------- --------- -------- ------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- -

Last edited:
Do you mind creating another thread for this? Because I have the feeling we are derailing this one and people searching for this issue have a hard time finding it if it's hidden here.

As a starting point, I think you could just copy your post into the thread and we can discuss everything there :)

Top Bottom