Update to Artifact Provision Cost!

+
Step in the right direction, but I am concerned now that certain artifacts won't be played at all. Perhaps a better solution would have been to require them to be equipped by a unit to activate the ability as has been previously suggested, therefore reducing the need to throw in artifact removal.

• Sihil 12->15...................................................not necessary in control decks, was a more win card, a better fix would be to require an adjacent unit
  • Tainted Ale 8->9.........................................didn't see much play won't see much play, was fine at 8
  • Summoning Circle 7->8............................didn't see play won't see play
  • Black Blood 7->8........................................didn't see much play won't see much play
  • Ale of Ancestors 10->12............................didn't see much play won't see much play
  • Thunderbolt 7->8........................................removing zeal would be a better fix
  • Mastercrafted Spear 5->7.........................still under provisioned, a better fix would to require an adjacent unit
  • Wyvern Scale Shield 5->7.........................still under provisioned, a better fix would be to not buff enemy cards
  • Petri’s Philter 5->7.......................................was under provisioned and is probably perfect now
  • Pitfall Trap 7->8............................................underrated card which is fine at this new provision cost
  • Golden Froth 9->13.....................................mechanic fixes would be better than sending this card to the trash can
  • Zoltan: Scoundrel 12->15...........................probably fair but this was one of the few cards that could also counter swarm
.....in my opinion

Thunderbolt 7->8........................................removing zeal would be a better fix

That would almost make no difference because Thunderbolt is used to protect the cards you're going to play after, rather than those cards that came before.

Mastercrafted Spear 5->7.........................still under provisioned, [...]
Wyvern Scale Shield 5->7.........................still under provisioned, [...]

Nope, not still under-provisioned. For a card to be good, it needs to have equal or more value than its provision costs, to put it simply. The Spear and the Shield need at least 7 turns to break even, if they don't get removed before that time. Yeah, you can combo it with Scorch/Epidemic and whatnot, but combo potential should not heavily affect the provision costs. Instead, the combo should be kept in check by other means. To further expand on that, other decks should not have to suffer the increased costs, just because using the artifact in other decks would be too strong, at least, not for neutral cards.

In a long round Spear will collect 10 value on its own not to mention it being a hot combo with many more cards than just Epidemic/Scorch

In a long round Spear will collect 10 value on its own not to mention it being a hot combo with many more cards than just Epidemic/Scorch
Possibly yes but it's far from being guaranteed. Spear is perfectly costed now, increasing the cost further would send it straight up to oblivion.

Also, combos are indeed a thing but there is million of cards for which it's the case, I agree with 4RM3D, combo should not affect provision cost and only be fixed by other ways.

-Tao-

Forum regular
I think artifacts cost is find, what we need is more counter, cards with double option 1 remove artifact 2 another thing in case your opponent doesn't play anyone

Also, like someone mentioned above, artifacts need 1 adyacent unit to be played, that will solve a lot of the problem now. Which I think is the decks which are creature less and are full of artifacts. If you now need units to play them then you can EXPLOIT games like right now.

Have to say that artifacts (spear and shield) are useless at 7, they were in some cases useless at 5...

rrc

Forum veteran
Have to say that artifacts (spear and shield) are useless at 7, they were in some cases useless at 5...
Why do you say Spear is useless at 7 provision? It is still super powerful. You can use it to align units for Scorch or Epidemic. Even if nothing works, in long round you get 10 points worth (don't come up with the argument that 'what if it gets removed'. Even gold cards with 11+ provision can get 0 points worth if they are removed before their ability). With a spear in the field, you are immune to Rot Tossers! That is an extra advantage. I still run two Spears in one of my deck as they are still super powerful and versatile.

Why do you say Spear is useless at 7 provision? It is still super powerful. You can use it to align units for Scorch or Epidemic. Even if nothing works, in long round you get 10 points worth (don't come up with the argument that 'what if it gets removed'. Even gold cards with 11+ provision can get 0 points worth if they are removed before their ability). With a spear in the field, you are immune to Rot Tossers! That is an extra advantage. I still run two Spears in one of my deck as they are still super powerful and versatile.

In my experience, everybody still runs 2-4 artifact removal cards. So either you go all in on artifacts (and have no provisions for other strong cards), or you are playing into removal. Frenzied Dao is 7 str for 8 provisions, other artifact removal is 4 str for 5 or 6 provisions. No reason not to run it in any deck.

Moreover, Tainted Ale is still bugged (has no zeal despite its description). 2 + 2 + 2 point removal that you can't even use on the turn it's played for 8 provisions? And then it gets destroyed by a cheaper card.

I think artifacts cost is find, what we need is more counter, cards with double option 1 remove artifact 2 another thing in case your opponent doesn't play anyone

Also, like someone mentioned above, artifacts need 1 adyacent unit to be played, that will solve a lot of the problem now. Which I think is the decks which are creature less and are full of artifacts. If you now need units to play them then you can EXPLOIT games like right now.

No it's not, Spear and shield can sometimes generate 1O points in a round, considering the situations when it will produce less it's perfectly balanced now.
Also, spear and shield sometimes not worth 5 provisions? Are you sure we're talking about the same game?

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of balancing a game by throwing hate cards willy nilly, no offense but it's a very dumb way of fixing issues since it doesn't solve the problem at its core and force people to play said hate cards.
It's bad for two reasons, 1/ It makes deck building less interesting because you have THAT type of card you need to put many copy of in all of your decks. I don't mind having to put 1 artifact removal in my decks but 2+ is just not how it should be. It's not how you make an interesting game. 2/ It reduces the power of lesser artifacts significantly and make them unplayable. Because you don't fix OP artifacts but just give more tools to fight them, artifacts that are perfectly fine in term of balance will massively suffer from a meta full of anti artifact cards. I personaly don't see the point of making cards unplayable, the dream for a CCG player is a game where all the cards are playable and balanced to an extend. It creates a more varied and interesting envirronement.

CDPR are right to move the provision costs in order to balance the cards, it reduces the options for someone who want to play a powerful card without changing said card but it's true that they can't solve everything this way, they'll have to rework some cards at some point, it's unevitable (Witcher trio, Sihil...).

They also have to realize that artifacts being difficult to remove should be an attribute to take into account for the pricing of those cards. The way they're balancing them right now is similar to units, if the card generate X power it costs X provisions but it's not the right way of doing it.
Each artifact should be slightly overcosted to outweight the fact that they're more difficult to remove. This is why it's always more benificial to play an artifact over a unit that "does the same thing" in the current state of the game. The fact that they have zeal counter balance the lack of body but nothing outweight their resiliency at the moment.

Last edited:
Artifacts are still bloody annoying. Opponent played Sihil three times. Why do I get this kind of bs matchmaking?
SK deck, play sihil. I remove it. He plays R Decree/Cahir/Sihil.
I removed Sihil again..
He renewed Cahir which/renewed sihil...ffs just give it doomed tag!

just...F off!

Artifacts are still bloody annoying. Opponent played Sihil three times. Why do I get this kind of bs matchmaking?
I removed Sihil again..

just...F off!
And THAT is why fixing Sihil by changing its provision cost is only a temporary solution (aka not a solution at all). CDPR won't have the choice, they'll have to rework that card eventually.

Also, by Cahir you mean Caretaker right? I got your point though.

I removed Sihil again..

just...F off!
That means he invested (12+12+13+15=52) for 4 cards, leaving him an average value of 5 points for the rest of his deck, which means there will be hardly any synergies or good playes at all. And if the player doesn't draw all of those 4 cards he heavily invested in, he is screwed anyway, having only crap left. If there is a problem it is likely SK being too reliable in drawing their whole deck/discarding trash cards.

That means he invested (12+12+13+15=52) for 4 cards, leaving him an average value of 5 points for the rest of his deck, which means there will be hardly any synergies or good playes at all. And if the player doesn't draw all of those 4 cards he heavily invested in, he is screwed anyway, having only crap left. If there is a problem it is likely SK being too reliable in drawing their whole deck/discarding trash cards.
After he got Sihil back for the 3rd time in R3...I quit. It was a casual match-up. You are right, his whole netdeck strategy is based on artifacts...That's all "it" had other than QG and wolves.

I should add. He had two cards left R3 and I had two. But I was so annoyed that I quit the game haha

Top Bottom