[UPDATED] Changes to GWENT’s economy and full mill value refund policy

+
What do you expect them to do? Come out and say, "Sorry guys, we decided we want to increase revenue so we're going to alter the game economy to do so.". Let's be realistic here

I already explained above: just make the change without coming up with poor excuses about sense of accomplishment and premiums feeling special. This is especially stupid since premium cards will be basically for $ only from now on. So CDPR is practically saying: hey, give us your money and feel special and accomplished.

Anyway, we both agree that CDPR screwed up. I just don't get why you are defending them. It's not a small indie studio staffed with likable teenagers developing a game in mom's basement. This is a huge company with 20+ years experience in the industry and sizable marketing and production teams. I do understand this is a public company pressured by their shareholders, but it's still not an excuse for bad marketing and production decisions.

I already explained above: just make the change without coming up with poor excuses about sense of accomplishment and premiums feeling special. This is especially stupid since premium cards will be basically for $ only from now on. So CDPR is practically saying: hey, give us your money and feel special and accomplished.

There is still the reward book....

In any case you can't expect them to come out and say they want more revenue so they're providing incentives to get it but, don't worry, it's for the benefit of the players. Even if it's what it boils down to pretty much zero game developers are going to state it in such a fashion.

Anyway, we both agree that CDPR screwed up. I just don't get why you are defending them. It's not a small indie studio staffed with likable teenagers developing a game in mom's basement. This is a huge company with 20+ years experience in the industry and sizable marketing and production teams. I do understand this is a public company pressured by their shareholders, but it's still not an excuse for bad marketing and production decisions.

I'm not defending them. I'm pointing out it shouldn't be surprising given the precedent for this type of thing has already been set. In regards to the indie studio comment.... Heh heh. Nah, not gonna bite :).

Glad to see they took a step in the right direction.
Since homecoming lauched I got 30k scraps, just by transmuting cards into premium and milling them afterwards. If the current system remains in place I would be having every non premium cards within 1 month of each new expansion without spending any money. (Under the assumption that with the announced patch, it will no longer be possible to extract scraps from the nerfed premium cards).
They are still too generous, but i hope it works out, and people will atleast pay for the powder. Otherwise i'm glad to support gwent by pre-purchasing any gwent related story modes.

They can want to increase their revenue while also genuinely wanting premiums to feel more special.

Gwent is a huge team with more than 150 people. Burza mentioned that somewhere. 150 really smart people is a huge deal and should cost a hell lot to run that project.

i think thronebraker had 150, and they worked overtime for hc76.

Glad to see they took a step in the right direction.
Since homecoming lauched I got 30k scraps, just by transmuting cards into premium and milling them afterwards. If the current system remains in place I would be having every non premium cards within 1 month of each new expansion without spending any money. (Under the assumption that with the announced patch, it will no longer be possible to extract scraps from the nerfed premium cards).
They are still too generous, but i hope it works out, and people will atleast pay for the powder. Otherwise i'm glad to support gwent by pre-purchasing any gwent related story modes.

Are you unhappy that CDPR is so generous? How have you determined that they are too generous? You have a lot of scraps since HC. How many hours have you played? You want CDPR to change it so that you will have to do a lot more grinding and/or paying? What's your purpose of stating that they are too generous?

I think CDPR know very well what they are doing. They are very generous and I much appreciate it. It works to keep the casual and F2Player interested and grow the player base. I don't see a disadvantage for the pro's and "Gwenatics", but somehow, this "too generous" seems to pop up quite often.

How have you determined that they are too generous? You have a lot of scraps since HC. How many hours have you played? You want CDPR to change it so that you will have to do a lot more grinding and/or paying? What's your purpose of stating that they are too generous?

Ever since HC launched I've played 2 hours each day in order to win 18 rounds. Spending these points primarily on ore + dust and using the kegs to select nerfed cards on the day of the patch gave me approx 30k scraps. (I've not scraped any other card which wasn't nerfed).
Thus after approx 45 days of play I've had full collection of any rare card + some golds to play, say 7-9 high tier decks.
So if this continues I would be having every card in this game which I assume isnt possible in other CCG without spending any money.
Now, it may have been an overstatement to say that they are too generous. If it wont be possible to collect every card without spending any money, assuming 4 months distance between each expansion, then they are not too generous - Based on a rough comparison with other CCG's.

Ever since HC launched I've played 2 hours each day in order to win 18 rounds. Spending these points primarily on ore + dust and using the kegs to select nerfed cards on the day of the patch gave me approx 30k scraps. (I've not scraped any other card which wasn't nerfed).
Thus after approx 45 days of play I've had full collection of any rare card + some golds to play, say 7-9 high tier decks.
So if this continues I would be having every card in this game which I assume isnt possible in other CCG without spending any money.
Now, it may have been an overstatement to say that they are too generous. If it wont be possible to collect every card without spending any money, assuming 4 months distance between each expansion, then they are not too generous - Based on a rough comparison with other CCG's.

At this point if they release cards at a steady clip you might not be able to get a full collection without spending money but that is NOW after they made this change. They made this change because it was very easy for the player base to get a full collection without spending money.

You say you're making the change due to players having tons of premium cards. But this change won't affect those players. It will permanently cement them as the people with all of the premium cards. It just stops people from catching up to those who started with hundreds of thousands of dust.

Just admit the game is dying so you're doing a money grab.

rrc

Forum veteran
You say you're making the change due to players having tons of premium cards. But this change won't affect those players. It will permanently cement them as the people with all of the premium cards. It just stops people from catching up to those who started with hundreds of thousands of dust.

Just admit the game is dying so you're doing a money grab.
The way I see it, ideally premium cards should only be possible by grinding a lot or by supporting the game by buying stuffs (MP) with actual money. If everyone can have premium without grinding or paying, then the game can never sustain. Also, I don't think any F2P players can have (or is having) 'hundreds of thousands of dust'. The players who have full premium collection now are those who spent hundreds of hours in beta phase and/or those who spent actual money. It was CDPR's gift. Any future expansion, if I want a full premium collection, either I should grind or buy.

Also, I don't buy the argument that now MP is behind paywall. MP can be bought through reward tree, arena, and even in daily rewards. Even after Jan 2nd, we would get MP when we mill premium cards. So, this is a just a step towards healthy sustenance of the team.

after january 2nd ... will we get meteorite powder and scraps for milling premium cards, or scraps only?

Last edited:
It just stops people from catching up to those who started with hundreds of thousands of dust.

100K dust? I just can't believe that number, though I guess several of the old players will theoretically be able to have that much as dust is worth about 7.6 scraps.

And catching up to what? Cosmetics? Who cares? People who have invested time and money into a game for years deserve something extra. New players are treated very fairly in this game and surely aren't going to cry over not having premiums. Besides, they get to see our premiums, don't they? CDPR is right that it is a form of accomplishment. Opening boosters feels empty when you have a collection of full premiums like many do now. There's nothing to gain.

I don't like the Premium card change going into effect.

After you've spent money (or lots of time) to acquire the deck you want than you are basically playing the game with no incentive as the resources you get from your dailies and the GG becomes essentially useless. Card scarps already feel utterly useless after you've got your deck and now they will be worthless than a penny (and with no incentive to continue to play the F2P model fails).

Let's be frank this change has nothing to do with anything other than GREED. You want players to grind way more hours into the game or pony up more money to purchase kegs for that 1% premium card drop chance (milled down into pointless scrap). CDPR I thought you were better than that.....

Why not just tweak the ratio/cost to craft those cards from ORE OR add an exxhange system where players can trade resources for one of another kind.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
The changes are live and the quoted message from above post has been edited to "From today...". Come on CDPR! You have to do a better PR effort. I love you guys and defend your changes (and even got a warning when I got carried away in defending you in these forums), but this is just bad. There is not even a new post saying "We have done it" and simply edited an old post? When did you guys become this lazy? Also, we were all under the impression that the update will also go live along with these changes. There is no information about it. Even if the update is going to come later, just inform us. Keep us updated. Don't keep us in the dark. A new post would have made it much easier for us (along with some information on the update since you should know the whole community was expecting the update today with a lot of posts discussing that).

Guest 4322057

I can’t believe we got no warning so that we could turn excess scraps into powder. What a complete embarrassment. They never tell us or give us warnings for anything.

Guest 4322057

It’s honestly embarrassing they made it live without any warning, or even saying that it was happening today with the update and just snuck it in. Seriously what a joke. They don’t even have a system for converting currencies but I mean this decision is only for making money. I mean how stupid and blind do they think we are?

Top Bottom