[UPDATED] Changes to GWENT’s economy and full mill value refund policy

+
It was obvious, that Gwent is just too generious. There is no reason to pay a single cent right now and that includes cosmetics, because you get all for free. I am glad for this decision and I hope that this brings more money to Gwent development and esport.

I am a bit disappointed, that there is no mention how this change help the income of Gwent and how this income will be used (more devs or prizes?). Its probably not good idea to mention it in PR news, but maybe Jason can mention that in some future videos?

As long as gameplay items gathering will be as generous as before, I fully support this and I hope it will bring more resources for Gwent dev in the future. Because right now, its pretty obvious, that Gwent lacks resources compared to MTGA, HS or even Artifact and its immposible to compete in such crowded market (btw I am talking about dev time not tournament prizes).

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...during open beta I used a lot of meteorite powder to upgrade cards to premium quality. When Gwent was released you milled my entire collection, but you only provided "refund" in scraps, not in meteorite powder I had and used. Now you're saying I can't craft premium cards with just scraps, that you gave me for milling my premium cards? So the only chance I now have, is to craft whatever I want in premium before January 2nd.

Do you think this kind of scam is OK or am I missing something?

Well, something had to give to keep the game profitable. Thankfully, I will have some time to craft the full premium collection I had before, though I am still salty that the last meteorite sale WAS NOT available on the consoles. It was one of the sales I took advantage of, anticipating this date since the midwinter patch. Plus with all of the bonus items requiring Meteorite Powder, it is more intensive.

Still, extra thanks for the advance notice of the deadline before Gwent Brexit becomes official.

So what will happen with premium starter cards after this change?

At the moment you can't transmute standard starter cards to premium, you can only craft the premiums directly with scraps. You can't get them from kegs either.

Something will have to change, otherwise premium starter cards will be unobtainable...

Shouldn't have sunk those 20k powder chasing that stupid contract LOL Especially with 600k scraps remaining.

This is wrong move at the wrong time CDPR, game is sinking fast and you think about premium card inflation. Talking about fiddling while Rome burns.

I mean Witcher Tales can and will finance their stillborn multiplayer Siamese twin but I would avoid sunken cost fallacy if I were one of the best game studios in the world.

Damn shame about Gwent. I welcome more Witcher Tales though, they don't need Gwent to succeed.

Not to end on negative note, I really applaud the heads up on the changes, time to craft full premium collection (not full there is no chance in hell I will restart Thronebreaker to hunt for chests(

"opportunity to gain an unfair advantage in card collection"

That made me chuckle :D how are premium cards unfair advantage in the card collection? It is completely optional and does not influence gameplay in any way, isn't it?

Last edited:
Seems alright to me. Making premiums harder doesn't change anyone's ability to play a winning deck, just makes cosmetics more rare.

So let me get this straight...during open beta I used a lot of meteorite powder to upgrade cards to premium quality. When Gwent was released you milled my entire collection, but you only provided "refund" in scraps, not in meteorite powder I had and used. Now you're saying I can't craft premium cards with just scraps, that you gave me for milling my premium cards? So the only chance I now have, is to craft whatever I want in premium before January 2nd.

This is what pisses me off the most about this change. You forced my powder into scraps when you milled my whole collection and now you are forcing me to either craft everything before January or I am screwed and stuck with only scraps.

Instead of focing people to craft everything before January you should allow scrap to powder exchange to make up for not refunding any powder when you milled our whole collections.

I'm ok with it, in other games you barely have the cards to play let alone gold or animated ones. In this one you can easily have full collection of both, which is a bit overkill.

Premiums will be rarer (especially from the next expansion onward) and thus it may lead to more money to CDPR, which would be well deserved anyway.

Not to mention that with prestige 5 and 10 you basically get 2 premium guaranteed per keg opened, which should makes the collection of those fast long term anyway.

Are you seriously screaming "scam" for a cosmetic option? Be grateful that's your major "issue" with the economy. I know a few games where you have to grind your arse to get a couple new cards to play with.

I agree.
And yes...This January change of direction sucks.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's wise to dump all my scraps into premium right now since they said that around March they will bring 100+ new cards to the game that, if the game survives and I still stick around, I want to craft from the get go. And I'm little bit upset that ALL our collections got milled. Back in beta half my cards were premium, now it's almost all standard because I wasn't sure what to craft premium or not so I just dumped a lot of the scraps into crafting the standard ones.

rrc

Forum veteran
Well, IMHO, this is the right thing to do. The only way for the game to make money is through MP. For everything else (scraps and ore) the game screams 'take this and enjoy'. And with abundance of Scraps, there is no need for anyone to even buy MP. Even when there was Sale or Offer for MP in the store, it wouldn't have got any traction as Scraps were indirectly equal to MP. This is a necessary step for the game's sustenance. Honestly, until this announcement, even Premium cards looked cheap in my opinion as any beta player can afford premium cards like they were nothing. With only 5k MP I got from full mill, I still have 3.5k MP and got almost the full premium gold card collection of 4 factions (by spending only scraps). I will use the remaining 140K scraps to create all full premium collection. Like, I have beaten the game. I will take that it is my gift for spending 600 hours in Beta. Any future expansion, if I want full premium, I may have grind or buy MP.

This is healthy for the game and for the players.

This had to be done earlier, as currencies in Gwent were losing its value very quickly.
Most importantly, now they can adjust balance of cards without worrying about refund, which is a good news.

I agree.
And yes...This January change of direction sucks.
Lol it doesn't. It bothers you they gave you scraps in exchange for the premium? Are you guys aware you can still recraft them premium using the same scraps you got for free until next year?

Then what are you complaining about?

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
... Then what are you complaining about?
They have milled ALL of our collections for SCRAPS with the premise that we can craft Premiums with them.

... now they go back and say "Well, it is too generous to craft them Premiums with only scraps, kiss your scraps leftovers and money you paid for MP in Beta goodbye, ta-taa!"

Mind you - I don't say the new system is not fair, I say it is not fair what they do with their MOST LOYAL FANS time after time after time, in that case it was THEM that milled OUR collections for SCRAPS.

Top Bottom