[UPDATED] Changes to GWENT’s economy and full mill value refund policy

+
The way I translate this message is that now it is time to make money and meteorite powder (and Witcher tales) are the way to do it. The beta players have been rewarded with heaps of scraps through the HC auto mill for full value of all their cards, including all the extra copies. They have the time between HC and Jan 2nd, 2019 to create the premiums they want. Going forward, if you want more bling-bling through meteorite powder, play and/or pay up. This is also fairer towards new players who don’t sit on heaps of scraps. Bear in mind that the beta players can still craft the standard versions of cards in future expansions with their heaps of scraps from the HC auto mill. so they have nothing to complain about. I fully understand and agree with this approach.

Regarding future tweaks and changes, I would like to propose a very simple approach which would be especially accommodating for players who don’t play that much and/or don’t have much resources to create cards: If a card change can be considered a nerf, then that card should be refunded for full mill value, including full MP value. This because a card nerf can mess with your deck through changed abilities, strength, synergies and/or provision costs and you may have to rebuild your deck.

Edited as I find it not so clear after reading below posts.

Last edited:
They have milled ALL of our collections for SCRAPS with the premise that we can craft Premiums with them.

... now they go back and say "Well, it is too generous to craft them Premiums with only scraps, kiss your scraps leftovers and money you paid for MP in Beta goodbye, ta-taa!"

But you can use the same scraps to craft the premium cards again (now). The only way your point would be relevant is when someone has converted all his/her powder to scraps during the auto-mill. But this also means that someone has gamed the system and wasn't very interested in the premiums cards to begin with.

Sorry CDPR, you won't outdo Bethesda in terms of bad decisions this year :p

Just kidding, I understand the reasoning behind this decision, I always thought that maybe the game was a bit too generous from an economic point of view (I did not mind it though).
While I do not mind the change since I don't plan on playing anytime soon (and I have a full premium collection anyway) I think this announcement comes at the worst possible timing, seeing as Gwents popularity is in free fall.
Everything about Homecoing seems like a light version of FO76 somehow, with the way players don't like what one of their favourite developers did to a great game(franchise), outraged, and the developer seemingly giving in promising changes that are way too little too late while at the same time squeezing out the last drops of money.

But you can use the same scraps to craft the premium cards again (now). The only way your point would be relevant is when someone has converted all his/her powder to scraps during the auto-mill. But this also means that someone has gamed the system and wasn't very interested in the premiums cards to begin with.
I have a full Premium Collection already and scraps for another one, but this is besides the point. There will be new cards released (eventually) and I will be able to craft them with my scraps... non-premium. Cause SOMEONE milled MY collection, that had more Premium copies than it was required per card for most of the cards and left me with the literal SCRAPS only, while I actually invested on both time and money to buy MP (yes, I did!) to craft some of those cards.

There was a topic about how cards will be milled from Gwent to HC back in the day and the way it should be done was discussed there too (only scraps or MP included), and even the devs were "split" and took their time to take the final decision - to give us only SCRAPS, cause than we can CRAFT THE PREMIUMS WITH THEM TOO ANYWAY.

Tell me now, in hindsight, how was this not planned and not an actual big fistf*** in their most loyal players' backsides?

Pardon me that I stuck with the game through thick and thin, that I believed and supported it during the dark ages of Greatswords and Alchemy, without updates and whatever. Here's my reward now.

I'm getting pissed and I don't even play this HC shitfest anymore.

PS Not excusing my language. [nope]

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be new cards released (eventually) and I will be able to craft them with my scraps... non-premium. Cause SOMEONE milled MY collection, that had more Premium copies than it was required per card for most of the cards and left me with the literal SCRAPS only, while I actually invested on both time and money to buy MP (yes, I did!) to craft some of those cards.

Regardless of whether or not it's a fair/logical decision by CDPR, it will still impact players negatively, I understand. But even then, you are being unreasonable. Gaining full value for a surplus of duplicates was already a generous move by CDPR because they were under no obligation to give you a full refund for those to begin with. Those premium cards were already "lost". Now, you can still recraft the premium cards and lose nothing. The impact is only noticeable with the coming expansions.

Exactly, you had full premium collection before HC and you have it now. CDPR already gave us insane amount of scraps by milling duplicates for full value and thats super generous. Limiting cosmetic items to real money is only way to get some income for Gwent and keep the game relevant for all of us.

If you were betting on future expansions by comverting powder to scraps, it was your decision and just like other bets, it can go wrong.

Exactly, you had full premium collection before HC and you have it now...
Please repeat this again the next time when someone says "this is the base set cards for Homecoming76".

I didn't do the math, but perhaps, with FULL Collection, I have 50% of the cards I had before the shit hit the fan. And this does not includes the duplicates that I had.

Just one small point regarding the argument that all those premium cards that I used meteorite powder to transmute in the beta can easily be re-crafted now with the scraps I was given during the full mill -

What about my Redanian cards, Svalblod cards, etc...?

I'll be needing to acquire extra powder in the future to get those premiums again, scraps alone won't do it.

Now, you can still recraft the premium cards and lose nothing.

The cards and collection have changed significantly, so is that really true? And does HC without Thronebreaker have the same amount of cards as pre-HC Gwent (meaning are you able to create the same amount of premium cards as you had before)?

With the December update, cards with increased milling value got milled for scraps only. The upcoming changes also mean that when a card is milled for full value with future updates, full MP value has to be returned otherwise it is just a black hole to make all MP disappear.

CDPR also need to earn money and pay there bills. Its fine by me. Beside they even give us time to craft the premiums if we want. Those animated cards are not easy to make. They should worth something if you want them. Still really rewarding game

Guest 4322057

This is really disappointing. I mean I get they want to make more money but at least be honest about it, and don’t say that it’s “for us” when it’s really just a way to sell more meteorite powder. It’s very disappointing to hear this, especially since we have no way to convert our scraps to meteorite powder.

Limiting cosmetic items to real money is only way to get some income for Gwent and keep the game relevant for all of us.

If it had done better they could have spammed boards and skins and voice-lines etc.

If you were betting on future expansions by converting powder to scraps, it was your decision and just like other bets, it can go wrong.

A few posts above there's a guy that literally crafted normal cards and now doesn't have enough scraps to craft premiums (that he had before and that are 30% less than anyone used to have and probably even paid for in some cases) before Jan 2nd. He didn't try to convert anything, made no risky choice, it's just the official word was that there will be no changes to economy.

If you people want to support this change (which, disappointing as it is it makes sense, can't really be criticized too much) that's ok. But the part where some (the older, not even that old) ppl get ploughed to certain degrees (some pretty severe as it turns out), AGAIN, that part isn't great. And it could be avoided by another "one time opt in only" full mill (to scraps again?) before the Jan patch PLUS (probably) some extra meteorite powder (another optional convert from scraps up to a limit of...max nr of cards before HC, and even then ppl had duplicates but those turning to scraps only is ok I guess). Somehow I don't see any of that happening (and it's also not perfect because that means extra scraps from cards gained since HC).

We want premiums to feel special, as was originally intended, and not give anyone the opportunity to gain an unfair advantage in card collection and vanity progression
What was this unfair opportunity exactly? Untill now, we can play and will get more premium by time. NOW (next year o.c.) people are cut off the premiums if not spending money. I call that much more unfair. Or did i miss some point?
I am totally at the site of CDRed to change the economy, but cut the PR-Crap out of the post, this makes you only vulnerable for no reason

OMG, premiums will be still available in kegs, at high prestige you get even a bonus.

Last edited:
Yo CDPR, give me back my 20k powder I needlessly sunk into premiums to get the contract, based the unspoken agreement that my scraps will be accepted for premium cards in the future, you can subtract me 40k scraps, hell I will give you 50 since you care so much.

A few posts above there's a guy that literally crafted normal cards and now doesn't have enough scraps to craft premiums (that he had before and that are 30% less than anyone used to have and probably even paid for in some cases) before Jan 2nd. He didn't try to convert anything, made no risky choice, it's just the official word was that there will be no changes to economy.

I would assume, because he prioritized having more vanilla cards over having an incomplete collection of premiums. If he wanted he could have had his old collection entirely recrafted without any changes.

For each premium legendary card owned in old Gwent, you could craft the same premium legendary in Homecoming, provided the card is still in the game. I don't see how this is unfair. You could even decide to craft something different, mill your entire X faction to craft Y faction. The only value that got lost is for cards like Radovid, Dagon,...

They have milled ALL of our collections for SCRAPS with the premise that we can craft Premiums with them.

... now they go back and say "Well, it is too generous to craft them Premiums with only scraps, kiss your scraps leftovers and money you paid for MP in Beta goodbye, ta-taa!"

Mind you - I don't say the new system is not fair, I say it is not fair what they do with their MOST LOYAL FANS time after time after time, in that case it was THEM that milled OUR collections for SCRAPS.
You are not making ANY sense.
Any player that had his collection milled is a open beta player. They gave you full scrap refund for each card, and you can use the SAME SCRAPS TO RECRAFT THEM BACK. Until january 2nd. You lost NOTHING. You still have 2 weeks to craft those. 2 WEEKS.
New players from HC didn't had any mill in the first place, so it doesn't change a thing for them.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I have no problem with these changes. Like so many open beta players with hundres/thousands of hours, already have a full premium collection... which i didnt on Open Beta, only had a full standard collection.

CDPR always gave a lot with these 'full mill values', and now that is giving less, got players complaining, regardless the fact that only now the system got fair to both sides.

Also, you had 2 months since HC auto-mill to spend the scraps you had, and if for some reason you still havent spend them and dont have a full collection, you still have 2 weeks to do how you please, its not like they made this announcement and applied the changes immediately.

And if you DO have a full collection but still tons of scraps but few powder, you can actually convert (at a loss, but better than no option) the scraps into powder. Or use the reward book, which is probably the best way to get powder and will take awhile to complete for everyone.

Top Bottom