Updated Roadmap

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, and they have all the rights to get their money back.

Right to get their money back?

Absolutely not. That's not how the market works at all. Investing in shares is a gamble. Period. It is up to the individual shareholders to cut their losses if they don't think they'll ever see their money back or they feel they're not seeing enough of a return on their investment.

Right to get their money back?

Absolutely not. That's not how the market works at all. Investing in shares is a gamble. Period. It is up to the individual shareholders to cut their losses if they don't think they'll ever see their money back or they feel they're not seeing enough of a return on their investment.
It depends on what type of contract cdpr has signed with investors (not simple shareholders). I'm pretty sure they had to give money back plus some profit to avoid paying a fee by the end of 2020. Otherwise I can't see any reason why the game was released in that state. And I put the publishers (bamco and WB) among the investors.

It depends on what type of contract cdpr has signed with investors (not simple shareholders). I'm pretty sure they had to give money back plus some profit to avoid paying a fee by the end of 2020. Otherwise I can't see any reason why the game was released in that state. And I put the publishers (bamco and WB) among the investors.

And no one was talking about private investors. The posts were clearly about shareholders, not private investors. You're switching to something else entirely.

Of course there could be specific contracts drafted up for specific private investors. Those contract could, or not, include assurances in calculated monetary value. There is simply absolutely no way to know if that is true or not or if they even have any. It's pure speculation at best.

Additionally, as far as you and I know, WB was only in charge of distribution across North America. CDPR is self-publishing and this distribution deal with WB has happened with TW2 and TW3. A quick search on the internet indicates that held true for CP2077. Distribution deals are generally simple business transactions. WB isn't investing in CDPR. They most likely get a set amount for doing what they do. That is it. I have no clue what Bamco is but I suppose they have the same type of deal with CDPR for elsewhere in the world. If you can provide anything to the contrary, by all means, I'll gladly read it.

Again, this is completely different that shareholders and not comparable at all.

EDIT: Figured out you meant Namco and, yes, again, same situation. Merely a distribution deal with CDPR for select European markets.

Last edited:
Otherwise I can't see any reason why the game was released in that state.
I'm talking without any knowledge, but something like that seem to be a good reason :
"There was no longer enough funds allocated for game development for delaying the release date even further. And that apparently nobody wanted/been able to reinvest for that. So Devs not working for free, no choice, the game had to be released whatever it could happen"
But that's just my guess :)

Shareholders are not the boogeyman a lot make them out to be. It's just easier to blame it on some greedy, faceless, rich person. The fact is, the way CDPR is set up, the same people that were in charge before going public are still very much the same people. They retained control over their company.

They have certain duties to them and they surely want to please them to keep that money flowing in but that doesn't include ''answering'' to them at all. The shareholders are mostly along for the ride hoping for a return on their investment, unless CDPR actively misleads them/tries to screw them over and they can prove it, they don't hold much power.

It's sad to say but the vast majority of shit decisions, to use your own words, are attributable to CDPR's management and CDPR's management alone.
When I say half of the bad decisions I meant one half, out of 100% of the shit decisions that were made by management, I would have to say at least half was to appease the shareholders... but yeah, it seems that even though the shareholders may not have as much power to dictate what happens in a company, however, the board of directors does...

As for the other half of the reason for their decisions I could even begin to fathom what in the hell they were thinking! 8^|

I'm talking without any knowledge, but something like that seem to be a good reason :
"There was no longer enough funds allocated for game development for delaying the release date even further. And that apparently nobody wanted/been able to reinvest for that. So Devs not working for free, no choice, the game had to be released whatever it could happen"
But that's jus my guess :)
That is also my guess.

The game had already been pushed back multiple times. Investors' faith wasn't at an all time high so say the least. Investment to generate money for development was probably not an option anymore and money running out forced them to release, recoup the money and then some to push forward or risk it all in a gamble by investing all that's left in development to possibly not make it back. It's a no win situation. Whether it was the right call or not, we'll never know.

When I say half of the bad decisions I meant one half, out of 100% of the shit decisions that were made by management, I would have to say at least half was to appease the shareholders... but yeah, it seems that even though the shareholders may not have as much power to dictate what happens in a company, however, the board of directors does...

As for the other half of the reason for their decisions I could even begin to fathom what in the hell they were thinking! 8^|

And I invite you to take a look at the board of directors.

The same people have been in power since way before the move to public company.

And I invite you to take a look at the board of directors.

The same people have been in power since way before the move to public company.
Ahhh, I see, I read and came to the wrong conclusion that the board of directors was only elected by the shareholders, but did not consider that a company can also have its own internal BoD... Welp, I never did take econ 101 after all, I was an art major...:)

EDIT: I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have some experience in the econ field and/or as a shareholder/investor...

Last edited:
There was a lot of merch released with the game, as well as music, and there would have been licencing agreements for both, almost certainly with penalty charges for late release. Likely penalty charges from the publisher too.

Poor internal communication is another candidate, especially in the depths of Covid. The information that the game wasn't ready may not have reached senior management in time, or at all, until after release.

Running out of money to continue development, as you say, is a likely candidate. It could easily have been a combination of all three.

And no one was talking about private investors. The posts were clearly about shareholders, not private investors. You're switching to something else entirely.
Yes, my bad. I was thinking about stakeholders and not shareholders.
WB isn't investing in CDPR.
I know, I was again putting too many things together. I meant I consider the publishers (bamco e WB) as stakeholders, meaning people who have interests (and in particular economic agreements) with cp77. Probably cdpr had to pay a fee to them too if they didn't release it in 2020. This stuff happens every time, that's why games are never delayed Futher than march "next year".
But that's just my guess :)
CDPR has a continuous flow of money coming from GOG and even if those are sister companies, they have the same owner. They can't find a game on their own (and not convenient, it's best to use other people's money and to invest yours somewhere else) but it's not a matter of funding a couple of months more. The game was delayed as much as possible but still they didn't want to release it after 2020.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter and we're really off topic. Mods won't be happy.

I know, I was again putting too many things together. I meant I consider the publishers (bamco e WB) as stakeholders, meaning people who have interests (and in particular economic agreements) with cp77. Probably cdpr had to pay a fee to them too if they didn't release it in 2020. This stuff happens every time, that's why games are never delayed Futher than march "next year".

There is plenty I could say here but you are right in that we are veering far off-topic. All I will add for the sake of avoiding more misinformation being spread - there is more than enough already going around about CP2077.

Namco and WB are not the game's publishers in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
Since you seem intent on carrying on with the off-topic, and it isn't the first time this thread has been derailed... the thread is going to be closed.

This is really just a content duplicate of
Cyberpunk 2077 — Our Commitment to Quality -- when it isn't being derailed or used as a general rant thread -- since the exact same roadmap is in that News post, so please use that thread (but do not try to take it off-topic) instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom