Upgrade armors and weapons, what do you think?

+

• I don't care, I just want to play damn

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I care, and I say NO, it's a dumb idea having this

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I care, and I say Yes, it's awesome

Votes: 78 78.0%
  • Depends on how it will work/I don't know

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters

I mean, look at this armor:

tweet: https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/500306099334283265

So, what do you feel about upgrades? or you are still angry with xone exclusive content like me and can just yell bad things about cdprojekt? (ok I'm not that angry)

Last edited:
I think upgrades are just awsome and they are another reason i just cannot wait 6 more month until the game releases. Just what i was looking for.... upgrades that can be noticed outside of the f*c*ing stats.

*Dont need to be angry with cd Project couse it is not their fault, microsoft are asshows who only care about sales and force developers to make exclusive content for them in exchange for the chance of launching the game in their console. (my reasoning, i might be wrong).

*Dont need to be angry with cd Project couse it is not their fault, microsoft are asshows who only care about sales and force developers to make exclusive content for them in exchange for the chance of launching the game in their console. (my reasoning, i might be wrong).

They just tricked us.

Upgrades are cool, and kind of requisite. RPGs have a great deal of progression in them, and upgrades have existed since forever. Same goes for upgrading a specific piece of gear.

However, what I will say about the upgrades in OP's pic - that of the Bear armor (did I get that right?) is that it reeks of overdesign. 1 is okay, nice and simple, 2 is good, and would have been a good place to stop/go for minimalism. You can see the default armor seeping in at 3, especially in the pauldrons, and 4 is just a travesty. The fur is cool, but the steel pauldrons are not. Too much extra stuff that detracts from the base design.

Hopefully other armors will be more inspired in terms of aesthetics.

Granted I've never played a prior witcher game, is there an expectation to have many different upgrade-able armor as well as swords?

In the games Does Geralt fight strictly with either one sword or a crossbow, and do weapons typically have a different visual looks (eg do all different swords appear same)?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how this will work?

I think this might involved with "The Hunting Experience", you kil enough monsters to get loot for required items to make an armor and it's upgradable (I think it's like a combination with witcher 2 and Far Cry 3)

I mean, look at this armor:

tweet: https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/500306099334283265

So, what do you feel about upgrades? or you are still angry with xone exclusive content like me and can just yell bad things about cdprojekt? (ok I'm not that angry)

Also a topic to discuss about the armor/weapons design if you want

You mean the velvet map, and card deck in the collectors edition? That isn't exclusive content; Its physical items shipped with the collectors edition of the xbone. By the way what the fucking hell is wrong with that poll I have no idea what its asking, and the options don't seam to even have any coherent English syntax. Is it just some nonsensical joke? Anyway the confusing pits out of the way its nice that the pysical upgrades with show ascetic changes to the item.

I like the upgrade Idea, I am one of those players that if an armor looks cooler than another one, even if this second one is better, I tend to keep the the older one, so If I find an Armor that I like, it would be nice to be able to upgrade it, or even look forward to an upgrade for it. However, I don't think they should over do it, to incentivate us to trade armors eventually. So in my opinion I am GO for upgrade, but my enjoyment of it will depend on how it works =P.

I'm sure that most forum members would prefer it if we don't have That Topic crossing-over into other threads, There's plenty of opportunity to discuss it where it is.
Keep this to armour/weapon upgrades please.

I think it's a fantastic concept and based on that concept art the implentaton looks like it's being handled well.

If you get a piece of gear you really like (For lore reasons, visual preference of gameplay elements) it would be really sad if you get after a while you get another piece of gear that is just better in all aspects. You either stay with your old one and gimp yourself or you ditch it despite not wanting to. Allowing players to improve gear lets them keep their favourite items while staying gameplay relevant. Even better is a visual representation of the upgrade progression, I think that's fantastic and I hope most items have that.

I just hope that there's choices when upgrading items so that you can go for the play style you prefer :)

You could upgrade your (armor and) swords in Witcher 1-2, so it would be cool if they expand this with further upgrade levels and visuals.
The Bear Armor is looking great so far and if these upgrades also apply to the rest of the armours or most of them, then it should be a great improvement about your characters appearance and equipment.

Last edited:
I think i want and need to see more. As for Bear armor i prefered metal or brigandine breastplate and vambrace instead of ringmail.And chainmail overcoat instead of just padded in last one.

I really really like the concept to be honest.

My only concern with these kind of systems is that you don't know the potential max stats of an armor until you fully upgrade it or at least you're very close to doing that. This causes an issue where you might have a fully upgraded armor, stumble upon one that is apparently weaker and you might discard it when in fact it might be better than the one you currently have when fully upgraded. In a way it's kinda like not being told what the second level of a skill does until you purchase it's first level ;)

One way of doing this is by showing the player the upgrade path of an armor (even if linear) from the get go. This is obviously not good idea at all, Geralt is not an armorsmith, he shouldn't be able to look at an armor/armor schematic and immediately know it's full potential. Instead what they could do is display modifiers for the armor: you have your level 1 armor stats and everything added by upgrades is displayed as modifiers (+X to armor, +Y to badassitude).

But yeah I'm thrilled with the idea of having visibly upgradable armor like the one showcased in that concept art and the hints we've got so far about items having durability (dunno if that has been confirmed yet).

In terms of design i think the Bear armor is superb. And this new upgrade mechanic of the armors it's a great idea. The things that make me curious to know are the differences in attributes.
For example , if i use Wolf armor , will i fight more fast or be more agile while dodging and parrying than while using Bear armor ? On the other hand the Bear outfit should give more protection and strength etc.. I think these mechanics should really be included.

every armor in W2 is upgraded from these 3. I hope we get non linear upgrades where every part of the armor is customizable.

I like the more simple approach to equipment, that was used in TW1. There were some itemisation issues, sure, but three armours and a handful of different swords felt just about right. TW2 kind of flooded us with equipment options (many of which was horribly overlapping one another), and now we will probably have even more equipment filling up our bags, but now with extra upgrades available for them. I guess it makes sense, and a lot of people will love this, but I don't particularly care for it, myself. It's fine, though, as I'm sure it won't detract from the story progression and other things that make the game what it is.

It is a natural evolution from what we had in TW2, and something tells me that it will be a bit more thought-out this time around, so that's good.

Top Bottom