Upgrading weapons and clothes costs too many resources

+
So, let me first say, Crafting is very much OP in this game (though let's be honest max rank everything is OP as all hell) But I do feel there's a problem with the upgrading segment of crafting. I picked up a good number of Iconic weapons and armour before I hit level 50 and I upgraded them to their max rarity before 50 as well because I was using them. However, with most of the Iconics, you eventually hit a wall where you can't upgrade rarity and have to just do normal upgrades. This is where the problem hits. For example, I picked up the Lizzie pistol pretty early, it's an amazing gun as such I upgraded it about halfway to level 50 to Purple. Now the only way for me to bring up its damage and stats is to upgrade. But upgrading seems to maybe grant you 10+ DPS per upgrade maybe a bit more and costs a lot of expensive resources. To get Lizzie to max stats like some of my other weapons... It'd take I think a couple hundred thousand eddies just for 1 gun and a lot of buying and waiting for resources to restock.

It just isn't feasible or worthwhile for me to sit for a long time doing the grinding to upgrade this great gun and that's really disappointing. It means there are several iconic guns I have but aren't really that great anymore due to being very underdeveloped. This definitely needs to be addressed IMO. It shouldn't take like 10-20 upgrades to a weapon or piece of clothing to max stats. 3-5 I think would be fair.

totally agree with op, even with maxed crafting perks takes loadds of ingredients, eighter cost ingredients cost or do not increase cost after every upgrade

Couldn't agree more, post from another thread below regarding the same thing;
This is currently the biggest problem with crafted iconic weapons. Once you craft a Legendary iconic, it CONSUMES the Rare or Epic version, which means you can never craft the Legendary again. For example, I crafted my legendary overwatch at 26, which set it at 630dps. Now I'm at 50, and the legendary schematic says it would be a whopping 1690dps if I crafted it at max level, so I'm stuck with a shitty underpowered version that can't be recrafted. I feel like the retention of the old version makes sense as per Johnny's stuff so you can re-craft the Legendary at level 50, but the fact that you can't disassemble extras makes no sense for inventory and save file bloat.

The devil's advocate here is "well you can still upgrade Legendary iconics after you craft them". The cost to upgrade from a very low level to max is absolutely bonkers. I've upgraded mine three times, which is a hell of a lot of resources, and it only gained me 40-60 dps.. something needs to change here. Either re-tune the upgrading or allow the player to re-acquire common blueprints to craft back up at max level..

This essentially punishes the player for crafting a Legendary Iconic pre-lvl50. The upgrade cost is too high through the upgrade menu and it deters players from using these weapons before max level.

Couldn't agree more, post from another thread below regarding the same thing;

This essentially punishes the player for crafting a Legendary Iconic pre-lvl50. The upgrade cost is too high through the upgrade menu and it deters players from using these weapons before max level.

Yep, seems like an oversight honestly. Doesn't make sense to punish the player in this way when you're going to be OP no matter what. There are like 3 or 4 Iconic guns that are basically pointless for me right now and a lot of clothing as well. This shouldn't be a hard fix for the devs so I hope it's something they are aware of and will fix going forward.

I just don't really see the motivation to use the crafting skill much besides upgrading weapons you find. I mostly have been crafting ammo or armor mods. Otherwise the world is littered with weapons and other gear.

I barely had crafting components even though I loot everything. It discourages me to upgrade legendary weapons. Instead, I equip whatever has the best DPS.
This is a problem that devs should fix as soon as possible because soon, most people will be done with game. However, CDPR went silent weeks ago. They will make some noise again if somebody leaked more details or discover another cut romance option.

I just don't really see the motivation to use the crafting skill much besides upgrading weapons you find. I mostly have been crafting ammo or armor mods. Otherwise the world is littered with weapons and other gear.

Crafting is incredibly powerful if you want to min-max. Plus this is really more about Iconic weapons and wanting to use them during end game even if you've picked them up as a low level. As it stands right now it's too expensive to be feasible. Iconics usually have some cool bonus effects or significantly cooler design vs base versions of the same gun. Wanting to be able to use the weapons you picked up early game at the end isn't really a big ask. Especially not for Iconic weapons.

There is TONS of crafting components. You can easily craft hundreds of legendary items. BUT upgrading cost is ridiculous as it grows with every upgrade.
On a side note I have at least 2 iconic weapons recipe so I can just craft new one when I lvl up.

On a side note I have at least 2 iconic weapons recipe so I can just craft new one when I lvl up.
Just wanted to clarify, have you done this yet? Every time I've crafted a Legendary Iconic, it consumes the lower rarity version, meaning you can only craft it once per rarity tier. Have you been able to craft two of the same Legendry Iconic weapon? I even tested deconstructing a Legendary Iconic to see if you get the lesser rarity back to no avail.

For right now, there is an alternative (although not exactly ideal).

There's a crafting perk that gives you a 20% chance to craft something without consuming materials. What you can do is get that perk, then save scum to duplicate your iconic weapons.

It's by no means time efficient, but it gives you the means to craft something at the highest level without immediately using up tons of materials to make sure you get to that highest level alive.

Just wanted to clarify, have you done this yet? Every time I've crafted a Legendary Iconic, it consumes the lower rarity version, meaning you can only craft it once per rarity tier. Have you been able to craft two of the same Legendry Iconic weapon? I even tested deconstructing a Legendary Iconic to see if you get the lesser rarity back to no avail.

It was probably a result of the crafting perk I just mentioned. AFAIK you can normally only get each iconic item once.

For right now, there is an alternative (although not exactly ideal).

There's a crafting perk that gives you a 20% chance to craft something without consuming materials. What you can do is get that perk, then save scum to duplicate your iconic weapons.
Very cool, never thought about this workaround. Will definitely use this going forward, I just assumed this perk didn't work for Iconics since they were a 1-time thing. Still feel a bit bad though for others who don't spec into crafting but want to use Iconics..

I have recipes that doesn't require lower tier items. But the rest is one time only.
2.jpg

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Got rly lucky with that YINGLONG cos I mainly use smart and tech weapons. No idea where I got it sadly.

I barely had crafting components even though I loot everything. It discourages me to upgrade legendary weapons. Instead, I equip whatever has the best DPS.
This is a problem that devs should fix as soon as possible because soon, most people will be done with game. However, CDPR went silent weeks ago. They will make some noise again if somebody leaked more details or discover another cut romance option.

This is also true.. since I've have the $4k painting I've been going around to all the junk and gun vendors and buying all their components are then getting my money back using the painting. Still even after doing that I burned through my rare components in a jiffy.

Last edited:
This is also true.. since I've have the $4k painting I've been going around to all the junk and gun vendors and buying all their components are then getting my money back using the painting. Still even after doing that I burned through my rare components in a jiffy.
Have you tried to craft and disassemble Ozob's Nose?

6.jpg

Or Macdoc Mk.3

8.jpg

Last edited:
Completely agree with OP. I have shy of 50h on my main right now, and just started to tinker with crafting. The amount of resources required are way to high. I've been looting every nook and cranny since i started my adventure (its like an OCD), and i still only managed to craft the Bomber Jacket pluss upgrading my shotgun twice.

Completely agree with OP. I have shy of 50h on my main right now, and just started to tinker with crafting. The amount of resources required are way to high. I've been looting every nook and cranny since i started my adventure (its like an OCD), and i still only managed to craft the Bomber Jacket pluss upgrading my shotgun twice.

Like I said craft and disassemble purple healing item and gold grenades. You can get hundreds of gold and thousands of purple craft materials.

Didn't they fix that exploit?

To be honest i really dislike the idea of weapon having level it's just completly off putting for me.

I though that they would come up with something more original and less immersion breaking but sadly they didn't.

Same goes for the "armor", i mean why a lv 50 shirt actually protect me better than a Arasaka lv 30 assault gear, it's just completly absurd.

I would have been ok(ish) with this system for the multiplayer stand alone but not for the main game.

You're right. But the resources are free anyways if you know what to craft and dismantle. The whole crafting system is broken.

Top Bottom