Upkeep

+
Upkeep

There are some threads about weaponry, cyber, roles, housings.
There is none about ressource (did not chack thoroughfuly however).

So.
I think all the ressources a characters may have (informant, houses, vehicles, programs, cybernetics ...) are subject to an upkeep cost.
Cogs need oil to run smoothly. And money being the nerve of any 'punk setting, how do you imagine such a thing (if you do imagine it at all) ?

In Fable 3, there is an upkeep cost for the houses you own to prevent them from decaying and to keep a good level of income. It is a bit basic though.

Any ideas ?

It could make sense. In several TableTop RPG thre's a sort of "Upkeep" Mechanic I see no reason why we couldn't have something like that in CP2077. However, I presume, not everyboy will like it :p

In Fallout New Vegas you have to repair your weapon. If people could break into your home, special items you need might disappear. So having to upkeep a house in a security manner would be a pain, or it might be fun. I would just have traps that would kill instantly, life in the combat zone.

Yar; both Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV had a mechanic built-in, for maintenance / upkeep of both your weapons and armor.

As far as upkeep of your home, and interpersonal relationships / contacts, while I can see the appeal, my only concern would be whether or not it makes that aspect feel too much like The Sims, or the friend / girlfriend upkeep in GTA 4. Maybe it could be an optional on / off toggle when creating your new game save.

Upkeep is like inventory management. Fun for a few and a real pain for the important people. Namely, me.

Don't get me wrong, a certain amount of wear and tear makes sense, and in Fallout it really did. But modern weapons require very little care on a daily basis to keep functioning for decades. Admittedly, I'm a Glock user, so if you're not, nyah.

But really, upkeep is one of those things it's easier to do in a non-fun way. I'd be wary.

I agree about weapons. That does not need great sums, nor often part replacement.
However, wouldn't it be reasonnable to pay a "rent" for the house (or squat), pay someone to have an eye on it or upgrade the security system ? To pay to have armor patched or replaced ? To pay for a Trauma Team card with an effect when injured or killed ? Or why not something like a regular tip to that fixer to be kept informed of the things available (ware, missions, equipment) ?
In my opinion, it is also another way to keep the game moving, especially when completedl, and have the player continue to make random quest for something more than the thrill of random havok.

No, this will just make the game tedious. Having an upkeep cost for all resources would be a mindless, simple transaction. I don't see how that's fun. Sure, you'd have a problem with budgeting. but that's not hard to figure out and get over. This system would only slow your progress in the game, not make it challenging- once you figure out how to budget stuff, you'd pretty much do the same stuff but a slower pace.

No, this will just make the game tedious.

Disagreed.

Having an upkeep cost for all resources would be a mindless, simple transaction. I don't see how that's fun. Sure, you'd have a problem with budgeting. but that's not hard to figure out and get over. This system would only slow your progress in the game, not make it challenging- once you figure out how to budget stuff, you'd pretty much do the same stuff but a slower pace.

Not really.
First thing, the game is supposed to be a RPG. The claim is to be close to Talsorian's CP RPG. As such, money is uber-important. Everything has a cost in the game, and it is part of the background of the world. Everything is available, if you have money.
Second thing, it can be used as a random quest generator for past end game character. You may also use that to introduce quests during the game to get better equipment or more housings or god knows what unlocked through that process.

once you figure out how to budget stuff

That's where you're wrong.
In my opinion, it should be designed in such a way that you must not be able to have every asset/ressources unlocked at the same time. You should have choices to make when dealing with your expenses. And that extend the game life span, just because you want to unlock that Arasaka / Militech / Chtulluh church insider contact.

No, this will just make the game tedious. Having an upkeep cost for all resources would be a mindless, simple transaction. I don't see how that's fun. Sure, you'd have a problem with budgeting. but that's not hard to figure out and get over. This system would only slow your progress in the game, not make it challenging- once you figure out how to budget stuff, you'd pretty much do the same stuff but a slower pace.

Agreed.

I can't see how an upkeep mechanic would add anything significant to the game in terms of fun, gameplay or challenge. And I'm sure the developers will find more creative ways of providing us headache caused by money, either lack or excess of it.

Agreed.
I can't see how an upkeep mechanic would add anything significant to the game in terms of fun, gameplay or challenge.

I can (see above).
And as the story is announced to be the rise of a character from the slum, upkeep may also reflects this change of status.

And I'm sure the developers will find more creative ways of providing us headache caused by money, either lack or excess of it.

Far away from me the idea to teach the devs their jobs.
I do not know any RPG with a decent economic sytem (crafing and selling loot is not economy). On my mind, it would add another side to the game, something more that the usual quests / plot lines, or race for stuff, and fights. I appreciated the need to re-inforce the fort you're in charge in Neverwinter Nights 2, for instance.

i think it would be an amazing idea. if we have things like rent and security upkeep it will just make the game better and more challenging since you always have to consider your upkeep but i think to make it very successful people should also pay upkeep for your services so maybe you can create spyware or antivirus or maybe you own a few mercenaries and people go to you to hire them and then you could use these services to spy on your customers and give someone a steady stream of information for a steady stream of money.

I can (see above).
And as the story is announced to be the rise of a character from the slum, upkeep may also reflects this change of status.

Different strokes I guess. For me the change of PC status should be reflected by many other things first. Like how the story evolves, character's influence on others, his overall reputation etc. Upkeep costs are for me more important in strategy games for example, but in RPG? It's takes about 1054 place on a to-have list.

If the upkeep system revolves around simple transactions (services for money), then I don't see what prevents the player from eventually feeling blasé about the game play. It's irrelevant that the system might be used for something else besides its primary function, which is requiring the player to maintain acquired progress by monetary costs- the main problem is that it should not be as simple as exchanging funds for maintaining progress. That's going to be repetitive, and hence mindless. It makes sense, of course, to have upkeep costs in some manner or form, but the challenge is to employ the function in a more creative and challenging way.

...hmm. Actually, now that I think about it...

In the newest XCOM game, you get a monthly income from various sources, and the size of your home base / facilities is deducted from that. In the Dark Future, I'm guessin' that they haven't forgotten the concept of automatic bill payment. =p

Certain monthly expendatures can be automatically debited from your account. If you're late or overdrawn, boom; you get hit with penalties.

If your debts become outstanding... imagine debt collectors / repo men in 2077. Especially if your landlord is also a loan shark. Could be an interesting mechanic to introduce random encounters / firefights / offers you can't refuse.

What you're saying is interesting, but that's only challenging to the point where you don't have money. The problem with game mechanics like this is that they are likely to focus the game entirely on wealth accumulation- every mission, quest, motivation becomes about getting the bucks to get the goods. At one point the player will become wealthy enough to bypass the challenge, unless he restricts himself on purpose. I don't see game play value in mechanics that revolve around a goods for services model.

If your landlord *is* a loan shark, I'd imagine your rent would progressively go up, as he notices the new threads and the shiny new whip parked out back.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Top Bottom