Upon mission completion...

+
This is really a minor thing that might cause a big improvement in how I perceive and enjoy the game.

Quests can be completed in many different ways with many different outcomes, failing, partially succeeding or fully succeed mission objectives.

Now, regardless of outcome I want to see a big 'Mission completed' or 'Task finished' on the screen after finishing a quest. So many games go with 'Succeeded' or 'Failed' instead of finished and it just is jarring the roleplay experience -- it feels like the game telling me my choices were errenous. Failing a quest makes me want to start over again. But if I do a mission without completing all (or even any) of its objectives and the game tells me the assignment has been completed, I will embrace my shortcomings and move forward.

The difference lies in feeling like V has taken a loss from a quest ('Mission Completed' - but Jackie died) vs me as the player losing at a quest ('Mission Failed' - you should have done this differently/better).

Hope I could explain the difference in a way that makes sense. :)

So do you mean, allow the player to feel or personally decide for themselves if they failed or succeeded or if the outcome is the part of their "head-cannon" story of the way things were supposed to go in their story? That's kind of interesting. :D

I actually agree with OP - but if you look at how it works for the Witcher, I can see why they opted to make it this way.

But I definitely agree that perhaps removing the "Failed" terminology in some way would make more sense.

Top Bottom