Upper Limit of Tech

+
The thing with the technology is that we have to remember that we are in 2077 not in 2020.

Not only does there not have to be all that much difference, I actually find it preferable if there isn't. Big proponent of them just stretching out the timeline and giving us the 2020 tech in 2077, as it provides room for legacy of items, for there to be numerous types of FBC boobies, for Cyber to become mainstream, and even kind of passe to a point.

...I kind of like the idea of sneaking through a warehouse on a fetch mission (surveillance, stealing something, etc.), when suddenly, there's a loud KA-THUNK in front of you, and a full conversion 'borg unstealths...

It's one of the more pants shitting type moments to be sure...

You know what else we've had for like 30 years now? Flying cars. See a lot of them about?

Not that I'm against stealth tech. Not at all. I just don't want DXHR invisibility. Seems way too much like a superpower and makes the actual skill behind stealth kind of useless.

Thief did it right - although the AI was retarded there.

Edit: while I'm on about it, even the invisibility suits on NPCs are pointless if the AI is SO DUMB they run right at you or after you. Flank, morons! You're invisible!

I agree with you, on pretty much all of it.... However the real problem with DX invisibility was the bullshit boss battles and the fucktarded pixel bitching manner in which you had to defeat the enemies.

Star wars is too commercial, way too much merchandise they are selling us. Magic and science fiction just do not mix with me.

I would listen to what you said, but its all nonsense... anyone who prefer's Star Trek to Star Wars, especially for the reasons you listed... is just talking out of there ass mate... The reason Star Wars has more stuff to sell, is because people want to buy it. Even after umpteen movies and 5 different tv shows, the only kids who want to play star trek is the kid down the street with the inhaler whose mom makes wear a helmet to play in the sandbox.

So stick that in your pipe and go save a whale while your only female cast member tries to do a strip tease in her 90's without breaking a hip :p

Invisibility in CPunk makes it too...easy. Too risk free. Unless you do ACTUAL CP2020 stealth, with reduced visibility checks at range and added to an existing skill.

Press a button and go made DX HR a walk over. Cyberpunk that's a walkover would suck.

I feel the same way about force shields and regenerating health, natch.

Invisibility in CPunk makes it too...easy. Too risk free. Unless you do ACTUAL CP2020 stealth, with reduced visibility checks at range and added to an existing skill.

Press a button and go made DX HR a walk over. Cyberpunk that's a walkover would suck.

I feel the same way about force shields and regenerating health, natch.

Force shields should be right the fuck out.... don't know what brought that idea up even?

And as I said, the invis cloaks should be end of storyline type thing.... But I would be just as happy as not including them at all.

You're right Sard. It's cheap game design.

...but goddammit, something in the game should be called a ghost suit.

There should be higher than high-end technology provided that it fits within the Cyberpunk world of course. But acquiring a high end laser-cannon should be done in a realistic manner. A simple gangster or low-life drug dealer should not just be able to get hold of it. Maybe if you really progress and get better, you could figure out a way to steal a laser-weapon from a military base. (Just an idea.)

You know, this raises an issue for me: Armouries.

Does anyone else have a long history of diappointment in video games that when they finally sneak into the "Armoury" section of some base or area, often involving a side-quest and go forth to loot, it's just utterly, utterly disappointing?

"Oh, great. 20 more mags for my assault rifle. I ALREADY HAVE FIFTY. And some grenades. And some more armour that I don't need in stealth mode. And WHO hung up all these rusty swords anyway?!"

Disappointing, almost always. I remember in Deus Ex when I finally got the Plsama Cannon. I want that feeling whenever I fight or hack my way into the bowels of some base and find the damn door marked, "Armoury."

Give. Me. Loot!

Also a Ghost Suit.

You know, this raises an issue for me: Armouries.

Does anyone else have a long history of diappointment in video games that when they finally sneak into the "Armoury" section of some base or area, often involving a side-quest and go forth to loot, it's just utterly, utterly disappointing?

"Oh, great. 20 more mags for my assault rifle. I ALREADY HAVE FIFTY. And some grenades. And some more armour that I don't need in stealth mode. And WHO hung up all these rusty swords anyway?!"

Disappointing, almost always. I remember in Deus Ex when I finally got the Plsama Cannon. I want that feeling whenever I fight or hack my way into the bowels of some base and find the damn door marked, "Armoury."

Give. Me. Loot!

Also a Ghost Suit.

I hated borderlands, it drove my OCD through the bloody roof... but man, when you get into the armoury... just fuck.... it was awesome...

My two bits...lol

Military Tech: sure, let the players get ahold of it. But, let them wade through the deepest pits of hell to do so.

ACPA: Mobility or Survivability, speed or armor...if I recall correctly, that was the trade-off. You could have the heavy armor and BFG's but you sure as hell weren't going anywhere fast.

Energy Weapons...I would like to see a fusion and progression, between currently reality and 2020 canon. You can find instructions on youtube today to craft a rudimentary pulse laser weapon using a 1.25W laser "pointer" that you can order for about $300US. The U.S. Navy has been playing with Directed Energy Weapons for a few years now. Just look up the LaWS system.

So, I can something like this...the stick and carrot routine, actually...you come across an recent battezone. You get lucky and find some parts from a ACPA, your techie pal has some idea of what they are and how they go together. However, you only have parts, a few parts. There are serious parts missing, and you acquire these throughout the game as mission rewards or finding them (with god level luck, that is). So, sure, you can get an ACPA, but it will be towards the end game ad with a helluva lotta work on your part.

Energy/Laser Weapons...meh...I, however, would like to see EMP and Microwaver weapons. Those came in handy more than once back in the day...

oh...VR lockouts and other security systems of that nature....if it can be coded, it can be cracked. Even if it take a god roll +15 on a base dff of 35 to get it done..lol

Well I never used energy weapons intake in cyberpunk, the reason is that they sucked. They sucked a whole bunch of suckage. Let me explain, the Direct Energy Weapon was the Cap Laser, and the way it worked is it had only so much energy in it, infact it only had about 10 points of energy, each point was worth 1 ten sided die or us gamers call it 1d10, the Max setting on that thing was 5d10 so you had a rang of 5-50 points of damage. You only got off maybe 2 high power shots. So you're thinking drop the spent cell and replace it, nope the cell was built into the laser. This piece of shit by the way was big and heavy, the gun part was the size of a law rocket launcher, and the cell was this back pack thing with a reinforced cable. Did I mention it was expensive and took hours to recharge. So you got a moment or two of the pew pew, but it was a highly innifeceint pile of garbage. Oh and on average a full suit of Metal Gear Armour would stop it cold.

Yep, energy weapons sucked in 2020. 2077, we'll see.

ACPA doesn't really have much of a trade off. The typical light suit, Arasaka Standard B, wanders around with 50 SP and toughness -5. Yes. So, very very not-light. The heavy suits hit 75 SP. They start god awful tough and get worse.

The idea that all encryption everywhere can be cracked simply isn't true. That's why your bank account is safe, despite the Hollywoodisms. Cracking a videogame executable isn't the same thing as hacking the control/fire-control systems for a piece of very potent military armour. Not that you need to - there is another reason no one has walked away with an F-35 - it's just not feasible.

A lot of the fun in Cpunk comes from the low-life approach. Yes, they have space-based railguns. If you are spectacularily unlucky, your Ref may shoot at you with them, (hint..hide in the footprint of the first shot if you survive somehow), but players generally don't get their fingers on the trigger. That's Halo. Or maybe Planetside 2.

Yep, energy weapons sucked in 2020. 2077, we'll see.

ACPA doesn't really have much of a trade off. The typical light suit, Arasaka Standard B, wanders around with 50 SP and toughness -5. Yes. So, very very not-light. The heavy suits hit 75 SP. They start god awful tough and get worse.

The idea that all encryption everywhere can be cracked simply isn't true. That's why your bank account is safe, despite the Hollywoodisms. Cracking a videogame executable isn't the same thing as hacking the control/fire-control systems for a piece of very potent military armour. Not that you need to - there is another reason no one has walked away with an F-35 - it's just not feasible.

A lot of the fun in Cpunk comes from the low-life approach. Yes, they have space-based railguns. If you are spectacularily unlucky, your Ref may shoot at you with them, (hint..hide in the footprint of the first shot if you survive somehow), but players generally don't get their fingers on the trigger. That's Halo. Or maybe Planetside 2.

Gonna name you Funsucker after this post... cause you are just sucking the fun right out of my dreams..........

Well, probably better if you swapped the F and S. Because hawt.

It's even more fun if you -do- give these toys to players, or let them find them, and then have some hyper-capable Netrunner do a micronet hack on their audio so they hear voices.

Well, probably better if you swapped the F and S. Because hawt.

It's even more fun if you -do- give these toys to players, or let them find them, and then have some hyper-capable Netrunner do a micronet hack on their audio so they hear voices.

If you sign up to GM over on Cyberpunk Unlimited... let me know...

Its not superhero power armorial, its more like Starship Troopers, the book, and what we are building in the real world.

It's also very much NOT giant robot bullshit, for those who might be confused....

There's Mekton for that, and with just the core book and technical manual you can Stat and build anything.... no I'm serious anything, it will eat your life.

There's Mekton for that, and with just the core book and technical manual you can Stat and build anything.... no I'm serious anything, it will eat your life.

Oh I know.... one of these days I will find someone interested enough, and familiar enough with the system to do a Mekton to Interlock Unlimited conversion guide...

I just can't get into giant robots enough to do it myself...

Top Bottom