Use eddies to upgrade gear as an alternative to crafting

+
Hello community,

I'm not sure if there is any thread with this, I searched a little and could not find exactly this matter, but I would like to make a suggestion about an alternative to the crafting system on Cyberpunk 2077.

I think it would be nice to be able to upgrade your weapons using eddies as an alternative to crafting. For example, V could go to a store or another specific place where he would pay to have weapons and armor upgraded.

In the current state of the upgrading system, in order to upgrade your gear, especially if you want to upgrade legendary versions of iconic gear, the player must invest considerably on technical ability attribute and on the crafting perk tree.

I understand that the game must have its balance and somewhat constrain the player to do a specific build as opposed to be maximum level at everything ( a super OP jack-of-all-trades) but I think it would be more immersive to have more alternatives.

For instance, I have a character whose three main attributes are intelligence, cool and reflexes. So, with this character, I should not (and don't want to) spend on the technical hability tree. But I, personally, like the idea of iconic items and of upgrading them instead of keep changing the gear every time. So I think this feature shouldn't be restricted to playthroughs focused on technical ability.

Of course, balances would need to be made in order to give some advantages for the crafter build. It could be as simple as make paying for it more expensive than doing it yourself, like on real life (generally). Either you invest time, learn and do it yourself, or you pay for someone to do it. On the other hand, it could be a little more restrictive by making the top tier upgrades only doable for crafter characters.

Hence, upgrading gear could become another way of spending money on the game. You can buy cars, apartments, cyberware, clothes, gear ... and with this comes the question: why should the player be the only one, in the city of dreams, able to upgrade his weapons ?

As a final consideration, i think this would fit perfectly with the rpg elements of this game. In many situations you have plenty of alternatives to reach the same goal. Opening doors with technical ability, brute force or hacking; Solving situations with stealth or assault; Shooting first or talking your way through and etc. Having this alternative for crafting would be much more immersive and open new role playing possibilities.

I'm eager to know what other players think of this idea, so that we, as a community, can help improve this awesome game. I didn't create a thread with this because this is my first post, but I would appreciate if a moderator can move this to a specific (new or already existent) thread about the matter in case it's necessary.

Thank you all!

For instance, I have a character whose three main attributes are intelligence, cool and reflexes. So, with this character, I should not (and don't want to) spend on the technical hability tree. But I, personally, like the idea of iconic items and of upgrading them instead of keep changing the gear every time. So I think this feature shouldn't be restricted to playthroughs focused on technical ability.
With this character you can install cyberwares and use skills that probably one with high Tech ability can't, isn't it ?
So no, I'm sorry, if you want to be able to upgrade/craft legendary items (for example), you have to invest attribute/perk points in the tech tree (you're not "restricted", you make a choice which was "to not invest in tech attribute").
In most of my characters, I chosen to not invest any point in BODY, so I'm unable to use all the great/useful cyberwares related to the BODY attribute. Simple as that, I made a choice.

On the other hand, I for to be able to pay in shops, to upgrade (equivalent of upgrading tab) instead of using components.

Last edited:
That’s why half of my chars only have 12 Tech for at least Epic upgrades which are more than enough only backdraw than is the legendary wall stash iconic i cant craft on these builds which kinda sucks... a solution to this could be to change iconic upgrades in the way dlc gear upgrades atm leaving the normal legandary weapon/gear crafting specs bind to the tech tree (lvl 18 as for now) exclusively. That would be a fair compromise imo.

As for the OPs topic I agree that it’s uncool that u must invest in tech to upgrade the iconics : / - many builds would work so much better without considering the tech attribute... and would be way more flexible indeed.

...else you can go with 18,18,18,14 builds which are most balanced atm - 18 Reflex, 18, Body, 18 Tech, 14 Cool f.e allows you to build around every weapon cls, every cyberware (weapons), nearly every cyberware (support), Berserk & Sandevista and still having plenty perks in cool (for stealth or cold blood) + legendary crafts/upgrades. Only thing this build cant do is hacking but therefor you would make a pure netrunner build anyways.

Last edited:
a solution to this could be to change iconic upgrades in the way dlc gear upgrades atm leaving the normal legandary weapon/gear crafting specs bind to the tech tree (lvl 18 as for now) exclusively. That would be a fair compromise imo.
You can find on the forum many complains about this system which, to quote them, "this system sucks".
(if you start to craft/upgrade these items above the level 37-38, you're unable to reach the legendary version anyway)

In my opinion, the "best way" would that all iconic items have to be "dropped" as item (and not as crafting specs) in rare version or epic at max (as CRASH, Archangel, Overwatch, WindowMaker...). So everybody could fill their "weapon's wall" no matter the level of tech attribute and indeed, only those who invest in tech could craft the higher versions.

With this character you can install cyberwares and use skills that probably one with high Tech ability can't, isn't it ?
So no, I'm sorry, if you want to be able to upgrade/craft legendary items (for example), you have to invest attribute/perk points in the tech tree (you're not "restricted", you make a choice which was "to not invest in tech attribute").
In most of my characters, I chosen to not invest any point in BODY, so I'm unable to use all the great/useful cyberwares related to the BODY attribute. Simple as that, I made a choice.

On the other hand, I for to be able to pay in shops, to upgrade (equivalent of upgrading tab) instead of using components.
Yes, I understand. There is the balacing issue. Really the cyberware and skills from my other attributes should compensate the absence of upgrading iconic weapons.

But the thing to me is exactly this that you mentioned, the choice. It is a commitment to a specifc attribute in order to make viable the use of unique weapons on the long run. Eventually i will make a character with focus on the technical attribute, but it would be nice if other characters had an alternative, so that they could also use unique weapons, with limitations compared to the crafters, of course.
Post automatically merged:

That’s why half of my chars only have 12 Tech for at least Epic upgrades which are more than enough only backdraw than is the legendary wall stash iconic i cant craft on these builds which kinda sucks... a solution to this could be to change iconic upgrades in the way dlc gear upgrades atm leaving the normal legandary weapon/gear crafting specs bind to the tech tree (lvl 18 as for now) exclusively. That would be a fair compromise imo.

As for the OPs topic I agree that it’s uncool that u must invest in tech to upgrade the iconics : / - many builds would work so much better without considering the tech attribute... and would be way more flexible indeed.

...else you can go with 18,18,18,14 builds which are most balanced atm - 18 Reflex, 18, Body, 18 Tech, 14 Cool f.e allows you to build around every weapon cls, every cyberware (weapons), nearly every cyberware (support), Berserk & Sandevista and still having plenty perks in cool (for stealth or cold blood) + legendary crafts/upgrades. Only thing this build cant do is hacking but therefor you would make a pure netrunner build anyways.
I will think about putting some points on technical so that i can upgrade at least the items of lower tiers. Or maybe I will just use random weapons when necessary.

About the "jack-of-all-trades" thing, it was a sort of joke with myself. Sometimes i want to try a bit of everything of the game, which is generally not a good way to go on rpgs. On my first playthrough I realized this (the hard way) hahaha!

Thanks for the advice on the 18,18,18, 14 builds!
Post automatically merged:

In my opinion, the "best way" would that all iconic items have to be "dropped" as item (and not as crafting specs) in rare version or epic at max (as CRASH, Archangel, Overwatch, WindowMaker...). So everybody could fill their "weapon's wall" no matter the level of tech attribute and indeed, only those who invest in tech could craft the higher versions.

This would be nice!

Last edited:
I could get behind this! I also wish there were more options for armor crafting. The 5% or what ever it is increase to crafted armor has you limited to basically 1-2 options per slot if you want to use it.

Hello community,

I'm not sure if there is any thread with this, I searched a little and could not find exactly this matter, but I would like to make a suggestion about an alternative to the crafting system on Cyberpunk 2077.

I think it would be nice to be able to upgrade your weapons using eddies as an alternative to crafting. For example, V could go to a store or another specific place where he would pay to have weapons and armor upgraded.

In the current state of the upgrading system, in order to upgrade your gear, especially if you want to upgrade legendary versions of iconic gear, the player must invest considerably on technical ability attribute and on the crafting perk tree.

I understand that the game must have its balance and somewhat constrain the player to do a specific build as opposed to be maximum level at everything ( a super OP jack-of-all-trades) but I think it would be more immersive to have more alternatives.

Of course, balances would need to be made in order to give some advantages for the crafter build. It could be as simple as make paying for it more expensive than doing it yourself, like on real life (generally). Either you invest time, learn and do it yourself, or you pay for someone to do it. On the other hand, it could be a little more restrictive by making the top tier upgrades only doable for crafter characters.

Hence, upgrading gear could become another way of spending money on the game. You can buy cars, apartments, cyberware, clothes, gear ... and with this comes the question: why should the player be the only one, in the city of dreams, able to upgrade his weapons ?

As a final consideration, i think this would fit perfectly with the rpg elements of this game. In many situations you have plenty of alternatives to reach the same goal. Opening doors with technical ability, brute force or hacking; Solving situations with stealth or assault; Shooting first or talking your way through and etc. Having this alternative for crafting would be much more immersive and open new role playing possibilities.

I'm eager to know what other players think of this idea, so that we, as a community, can help improve this awesome game. I didn't create a thread with this because this is my first post, but I would appreciate if a moderator can move this to a specific (new or already existent) thread about the matter in case it's necessary.

Thank you all!
I think a currency based upgrade system would be a great addition. Would also align well with everything else you have to spend eddies on

Given that you can get legendary quick hacks without really investing in intelligence. I think, at the very least, Iconic weapons should be dropped instead of getting specs. I understand that they have to make Tech tree more appealing, personally I think that's why they took out mods from the shops. But iconic weapons should be accessible to everyone. As for crafting, I'm on the fence. Like I said, they have to make tech tree more appealing. There's really no other reason, besides crafting, to invest into tech. Unless you really like tech weapons, I guess.

Top Bottom