Use the Crossbow to win EVERYTHING!

+
Use the Crossbow to win EVERYTHING!

so i realized the AI is pretty dumb (on the second difficulty setting).

The enemies do not move further than a certain distance so after u engage them, just row around and when u realize they stopped chasing you, you know it is a safe zone.

Then just use your crossbow to shoot them to death. Yes, it may take a while but it allows u to win practically anything as long as you have the patience for it. so i was having a little trouble fighting this bandit with shield (dealing no damage while getting his by his buddies), so i just move to the safe zone, use my crossbow first to kill all his buddies and then whenever he opened up his shield to do a victory roar, i hit him with the crossbow and before long, they all dead.

i think something should be done to the AI here. the one in Witcher 2 is much better.

Yup... takes a while but I've faced mobs that are unable to negotiate a barricade with a tree next to it, and some sort of boundary where they give up and turn back... then get confused because they're getting damaged by something they can't 'see'.

One time I got chansed by a guard across half the map before he gave up. DO guards have different AI than regular mobs?

Encountered some bandits that just stood still in front of me in a city square 10 meters away, could've shot them to death, but no fun in that, so I just pretend the bug doesn't exist and fight them properly. Should be patched indeed.

Last edited:
I remember CDPR talking about how organic the AI is, but as far as i can see these are the least organic AIs i've seen in a long long while.
The seem to have spawn points that are very specific, they spawn there when u get close, they stay there tethered to some idiotic exploitable zone and they feel as artificial as any gamey AI. Dont see anything organic about it.

Very rarely i see an animal giving chase garther than what seems to be its designated zone.

I understand that the devs wanted the player to be able to run away from combat or make the AI guard specific areas, but that is NOT the way.

What they should have done is:
1. To guard an area the AI should chase for quit far away from thei spawn, but if they get too far than they all go back to the spawn zone. This way you cant kite one ouf and only fight him nor snipe him. If he gets too far than he'll go back to where he needs to be.

And AIs that are not supposed to guard anything - make the AI chase for a while but then get tired of chasing and stop. BUT of you come back and attack him then that AI will reset its radius and chase again for a good distance.
If u out run it once more and the ai stops chasing you than it goes into a last resort mode: Attack it again and it will run away from u instaed of attacking or chase you till one of you is dead.

These solutions would have been a lot less obvious and less exploitable.

I've had some AI completely stop fighting mid battle and just stand there. Albeit rarely.

If there's a situation where I've had to run I usually get chased for awhile by at least one.

I really wish they'd remove the mob limitation if it's just because of difficulty, I thought it was a bug. I'm playing on normal because I don't want to die all the time but I want the mobs to actually attack me still.

An easy and legit way to kill shielded bandits is to push them with aard, then hit them with a strong attack while they're stunned. Wait for your stamina to reload, then rince and repeat.

still, i find it quite silly for the AI to just stand there for me to shoot with crossbow. it also take away the immersion factor because IRL, no person or even monster will be so stupid to fight halfway, then stop fighting to continue to guard whatever they are guarding.

they should make it such that the distance of the crossbow is shorter than the max chase distance.

The AI should have the target move to cover if it can't get into close combat for some reason. People and monsters under effective fire should either (1) close to close combat or (2) seek cover or (3) run away. Standing around looking stupid while being shot shouldn't be an option.

The AI pursuit distance should be probabilistic - sometimes they only chase you a little but before breaking off, others they go a middle distance, some they will go a long way and once in a while they will never cease pursuit. Groups should usually stay together (just use the Leander's AI to see how far they will go). By making the AI a bit more unpredictable it will prevent exploits that always work and give the player a variety of challenges.

Last edited:
I believe this exploitism is called leashing?

Solution - like mmos, reset mobs to full health if you leash them out of range. Problem solved.

I believe this exploitism is called leashing?

Solution - like mmos, reset mobs to full health if you leash them out of range. Problem solved.

Thats just another game-like solution to solve what that is a game-like problem. I think implementing what real humans would do in a situation like this is the best solution.
And i wrote this in page 1, and that, IMO, is the most realistic and rather simple way to tackle the issue.

Regarding shielded enemies -
1. You can aard them
2. You can axii them
3. You can riposte them as they strike
4. You can dodge in an angle behind them as they strike and hit from behind.
5. You can hit them again and again until they run out of stamina and drop the shield.

There are many ways to tackle them. Good CDPR make them a lot more realistic to handle than most other games.

One time I got chansed by a guard across half the map before he gave up. DO guards have different AI than regular mobs?

LOL this happened to me as well. I don't know if it was guards but do remember it was a mob of 5 human red names, chased my ass literally half the map, haha

Crossbow for the win? I approve.

See that thing down below there. Its a wyvern. It was fall that killed it, when I caught it with a bolt several dozens feet over the hard rocks. Wyvern.

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-05-24 10-19-00-69.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-24 10-19-00-69.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 59
LOL this happened to me as well. I don't know if it was guards but do remember it was a mob of 5 human red names, chased my ass literally half the map, haha

Maybe there are AIs that guard (spawn at scripted location that is its home) and there are AIs that free roam or spawn NOT in a spawn point specific to them and this AI isnt restricted to its guard area since it doesnt have anything to guard.

Top Bottom