User Experience Update Overview

+
So cards like Pavko Gale, Milaen are going to be given to everyone as starter cards.

What happens to people who have these in their collections? Will we be given a free copy? Should we mill the cards tonight?

These starter decks certainly have high scrap values, which is nice for new players. I'm guessing older starter cards will then just become millable?

(thank you mod for moving this for me)

Last edited:
Can we get a clarification on how updating starter/classic sets will affect existing users? I made a thread on this, but perhaps a mod could just remove it/merge it here if the question is answered here.
Thank you!

Well, I'm looking forward to some of these changes -- particularly the new unit requirement.

Incidentally, it looks like the tavern board could be either from Skellige or Novigrad.

Also I'd like to just add my appreciation for the current tutorial. I remember playing it and wishing it was longer actually. I hope they include more mini-stories like these (perhaps bring back the old Dwarf, Phoenix, Vampire mini stories one day?)

Although I get why they'd want to make it more condensed and focused.

-Eredin ability still doesn't fit monsters IMO. Oh well at least it should be somewhat usable now.

-Not a huge fan of limiting deck building but at least special decks are just about dead at this point. They were boring. The only problem is that the entire game is pretty boring as well. Not enough working archtypes, balancing isn't great, too many overly weak or unusable cards. I'm hoping this patch will do some good balancing as well but they didn't talk much about card balances so my expectations are low.

-It's nice that we can see our borders and such in game. That's a good change.

Not enough working archtypes, balancing isn't great, too many overly weak or unusable cards.

I hope they consider adding more deploy effects on each card. Giving a card melee and ranged deploy options would make things more dynamic, giving players more choice. I'm not saying make every card have crazy effects, but the whole idea of "Formation" is a good one that could be implemented across their roster of cards (different factions can have different effects, or just do another overhaul where all the cards are changed). Super vanilla cards should be the minority -- but having basic pointslam cards like Speartip can still exist with Deploy melee +5 strength, deploy ranged gain shield (these are of course just hypotheticals)

Can we get a clarification about what user KoncertMajstor said at first reply? I for instance crafted Geralt of Rivia and several other cards in updated starter decks for quite some scraps (it's hard earned for a casual player like me). Of course i appreciate this updates, they were necessary, but do we get full refunds for this cards if we already have them? Or we just get additional copies of them for quarter the craft price?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Liked to see most of these changes, but it seems the balance changes will suffer for it.

The starter decks look really nice, i can definitely see myself losing to a NG or MO starter when im playing one of the more memey decks.

And the new cardback for season of magic looks awesome, it'll be the first i'll get for sure.

Now its time to start thinking of decks for this "magical" new seasonal mode...

13 units as a minimum? Are you serious?

Given how imbalanced some combos are this is going to backfire massively.

NR are going to wreck since you wont be able to keep their combos off the board. SK also need to be toned down...they have everything...point slam, removal and beatsticks...

I hate to say this but given the massive imbalances and the bad approach of this unit cap...not buying thronebreaker.

Unit cap should have started at 8 and increased as needed....

I hate to say this but given the massive imbalances and the bad approach of this unit cap...not buying thronebreaker.
Just for clarification, you mean this as a form of protest? If not, it may be worth noting that Thronebreaker doesn't follow the same rules as normal Gwent, and is unaffected by the patch. It's possible to enjoy the story campaign independent of Gwent.

Just for clarification, you mean this as a form of protest? If not, it may be worth noting that Thronebreaker doesn't follow the same rules as normal Gwent, and is unaffected by the patch. It's possible to enjoy the story campaign independent of Gwent.
Exactly. A form of protest.

Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

Personally, I'd say that's rather unfortunate, though, because Thronebreaker is quite fun.

I bet it is and I'll happily buy other CDPR games, Cyberpunk is very anticipated but Gwent is not taking heed of other TCGs. I cannot support it when the devs, for example, over develop skellige and then go 150% on killing control decks which is the only way to deal with Skellige self wound and NR.

Last edited:
Very happy with these changes and always look forward to a new set of seasonal rules. Also loving the new look boards and card backs.

Top Bottom