User Reviews (GOG and Steam)

+
I'm stalking Cyberpunk 2077 on SteamDB and I have noticed the overall score rising over the last couple of weeks up to 74.46%, while it also remains fairly consistent on GOG with 3.7/5 (74%). However, it could also be argued that it is on the rise on GOG as well, given that only recent ratings considered it sits at 3.9/5 (78%).

What I've also noticed on GOG is that positive reviews seem to get downvoted much more than positive ones, so it appears there are still various folks out there watching the reviews and almost "hating" the game.

Hence, I'm wondering if Cyberpunk 2077 is not held down much more by people who hate the game and if more people who enjoyed the game did not even bother to rate it. Especially considering there are many 0/5 reviews on GOG which seems a just wrong for me. Granted, the game had its issue but it is neither a 0/5 game from an objective standpoint. Subjectively ones experience might be different but personally I never bothered spending much time with a game I did not enjoy and this includes writing 0/5 reviews.

In any case, I found this interesting and I thought I might share it here. Maybe I can also motivate someone to rate Cyberpunk 2077 on their preferred platform.

The game has seen a surge in players with the recent discounts and the fact that the game is pretty much fixed now in 1.52.
Folks hating the game still exist, and unfortunately the general media on internet still makes articles that aim to bring up the downsides, or cherry picked bad things about the game.

For example, whenever I explore my recommended gaming articles on Google, when I see articles about a game such as Elden Ring, it is nothing but praise, fame, good reviews, recommendations for builds, etc, from various websites. Positive stuff, always.

When it comes to Cyberpunk, it's been better lately, but there are still things that stick out just to mock the game. The latest one I've seen is an "expert" talking about how the transportation system of Night City is bad because it doesn't have buses. As if this even comes close to mattering.

Anyways, I think people are still starting to slowly forget CP77's bad launch and are picking it up. I try to convince my own entourage that the game is worth it, at least for Night City, the story, the characters and the dialogues, which were the first things that stuck out to me when I bought the game at launch.

Last edited:
For example, whenever I explore my recommended gaming articles on Google, when I see articles about a game such as Elden Ring, it is nothing but praise, fame, good reviews, recommendations for builds, etc, from various websites. Positive stuff, always.
Yeah, this will hopefully change in the future with 1.6 and the expansion. Also, from what I can fathom I would say Elden Ring seems a bit overhyped. It is definitely a good game and probably also represents the current peak in Soullikes, but I would say it appears only to a certain crowd. Cyberpunk 2077 might be more universally enjoyable if you now what you are getting into. (Just to clariy, I'm not saying their ratings should be reversed, just that both were snowballed into the opposite directions.)

Furthermore, I would say the general public is more more forgiving to bad PC ports than the other way around, which was also a problem for Cyberpunk 2077. This is probably because they are or at least used to be much more common.

Anyways, I think people are still starting to slowly forget CP77's bad launch and are picking it up. I try to convince my own entourage that the game is worth it, at least for Night City, the story, the characters and the dialogues.
(y) Most of my friend that game have already played the game, but I would do the same.

I have changed my star rating on Gog several times over the course of the game. 3 - 1 - 2- 3 pretty much. Im not exactly hating the game but i have realised its just not made for me, it sounded as a perfect game for me but it just isent. I dont think im part of the majority anymore but i also think alot of people gave up much sooner then me.

Elden ring as an example hade a much much better launch and even if that isent my type of game it seems like the fans of the series are loving it. First impressions are important and thats why i think alot of resent reviews are higher, the game is better now then at release after all.

With the sales and return too the PS store and next gen it has gotten a boost witch is kinda deserved but at the same time people that were disapointed might have already just writen it off as a bad game. I havent recomended it too anybody after the launch since i feelt so betrayed but if anybody ask i tell them its an ok game.

I'm afraid that CP77 rating will not get much better than this, and for good reason. CP77 release was botched on multiple levels - game was not only bugged but it had (and still has) some design issues and missing features that took more than a year to be addressed. For example toggle walk button for PC - it was mentioned by numerous reviewers on the day of release and CDP representatives did acknowledged it's lacking, but it took them 1+ year to actually implement this - a toggle walk button. Patch 1.5 did fixed a lot of things, but also shown that CDP have no intention of actually improving the game, only to get it to a functional state that it should be in on launch. And if recent rumors about CP77 receiving only one major expansion will turn out to be true it would only prove that instead of outdoing themselves as a sign of good will to make up for their past actions all that CDP is seeking is just to close this chapter as fast as they can and never mention it again - and because of that I don't believe that they and their game deserves anything better than what they have right now.

For example toggle walk button for PC - it was mentioned by numerous reviewers on the day of release and CDP representatives did acknowledged it's lacking, but it took them 1+ year to actually implement this - a toggle walk button.
This might be more reasonable when you have worked in software development, but the toggle walk button albeit being a simple feature might not have been worked on because they had different priorities. True, it may be easy to implement but it still takes time to both implement and review it. I assume they had this in their backlog a very long time until they finally tackled it for 1.5.

Patch 1.5 did improved a lot of things, but also shown that CDP have no intention of actually improving the game, only to get it to a functional state that it should be in on launch.
I would argue CDPR does improve the game (minimap, etc.), but not overhaul it as some people would like to see.

And if recent rumors about CP77 receiving only one major expansion will turn out to be true it would only prove that instead of outdoing themselves as a sign of good will to make up for their past actions all that CDP is seeking is just to close this chapter as fast as they can and never mention it again - and because of that I don't believe that they and their game deserves anything better than what they have right now.
That's a different discussion but I think CDPR does not even know this yet. They probably want to see how well the expansion does and then shift resources accordingly.

Only speak on xbox (not the best platform to play), the rating is already pretty good. At least at the height of the "best games" (more than 4/5).
What rating are you exactly talking about? On Metacritic CP77 for Xbox One and Series X have 4.9 and 6.2 user score respectively, so it's hardly a 4/5. Bear in mind we are talking here about the user rating, not the reviews' scores.

What rating are you exactly talking about? On Metacritic CP77 for Xbox One and Series X have 4.9 and 6.2 user score respectively, so it's hardly a 4/5. Bear in mind we are talking here about the user rating, not the reviews' scores.
I assume - although I have not checked - the XBOX store has its own user rating system just like Steam and GOG and none is aggregated into Metacritic.

This might be more reasonable when you have worked in software development, but the toggle walk button albeit being a simple feature might not have been worked on because they had different priorities. True, it may be easy to implement but it still takes time to both implement and review it. I assume they had this in their backlog a very long time until they finally tackled it for 1.5.
I am a software developer and believe me, if such a simple feature is desired by many since day one (and I have seen a lot of questions about it after every patch releae) you do not sit on this change for that long. This is exactly why we won't see an increase in user ratings for CP77, especially on PC - too little, too late and clearly ignoring such simple request from fans.
I would argue CDPR does improve the game (minimap, etc.), but not overhaul it as some people would like to see.
What you call an improvement is merely a fix. Just because they botched the minimap on release doesn't mean that by fixing it they made it better than what it could be - they just made it what it should be since the beggining.

Agree 100%.
The reviews and a facade set by media, youtubers, etc...are just to generate clicks and profit from a false hype.

"What we are getting served is their subjective view of what is happening. A warped account of events they locked away in their subconsciousness and are replaying time and time again. It bears no resemblance to the truth." :oops:

"USER REVIEWS (GOG AND STEAM)"

It's a known custom on Steam that the red thumbs are a lot more interesting to read than blues. Am guilty of doing that myself when looking for info about a certain game. That's probably because people would want a second opinion from more moderate minded players before deciding to buy that game.

What rating are you exactly talking about? On Metacritic CP77 for Xbox One and Series X have 4.9 and 6.2 user score respectively, so it's hardly a 4/5. Bear in mind we are talking here about the user rating, not the reviews' scores
Nope, on the Xbox store which I look directly on my Serie X (which I believe doesn't make difference between XB1 and Series). I see mine posted in December 2020 on XB1x... :)
Players can let a rating (0 to 5 stars) and/or a review. Mostly, players just rate games and don't let a review (Rating only available for those who bought the game, not just an account).
So even on one of the worst platform to play Cyberpunk, players (who rated the game) mostly appreciate it.

4.2/5 like I say, mostly the same rating as other games (an way higher than plenty of other ones^^)

Last edited:
You will find very few agggregated reviews for ANY Steam game under 70% favorable, over time (as opposed to only recent reveiws). it's faint praise.

So even on one of the worst platform to play Cyberpunk, players (who rated the game) mostly appreciate it.
thing is most of the player who are annoyed about a game or didn't care because its boring, broken, not their type etc. just dont care about rating for it and move on. that's why these statistics on any platform are just bubbles. - there are cases like Genshin where the community de-ranked it from a 8/10 to 2,5/10 on purpose to show mihojo the ,,I,, but that's not common. sadly.

Last edited:
Funny thing, I love the game and have done so since launch but haven't left a review/rating anywhere. I still haven't for other games I love like Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, etc. on Steam. PS4 restricted feedback to a thumbs up and star rating out of 5, but since I buy most of my games physically, I was unable to.

I see on XBox that you can leave worded reviews and ratings, so when I'm done enjoying the next-gen version, I might just leave a review.

Thats exactly what I said - to keep it simple, lets say Steam would be the only platform to consider (sadly many people really think this would be the case) and has 10k positive votes... out of 18 mios copy sold. Its just a tiny, tiny, tiny drop on the hot stone leaving 17.990.000 copies unclear. Speaking 17,9 mio players who gives a flying f*** about ratings - no-one knows if they are satisfied or pissed or JUST DONT CARE.... - these ratings tell absolute nothing about the quality of a game - since the ratings we see are coming mainly from fanboys and girls with an subjective mind. media, reddit, youtube etc. where you see content as proofs speak way louder - but is claimed as corpo/cash/influence bs. lovely just lovely. "Dream on" nothing more to add here.

all these steam threads are just useless and blind... like the last one where someone praised cyberpunk sells over horizon sells in august, while in february horizon beat cyberpunk big times - its all subjective just to feel better. but objectively it tells nothing.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I said - to keep it simple, lets say Steam would be the only platform to consider (sadly many people really think this would be the case) and has 10k positive votes... out of 18 mios copy sold. Its just a tiny, tiny, tiny drop on the hot stone leaving 17.990.000 copies unclear. Speaking 17,9 mio players who gives a flying f*** about ratings - no-one knows if they are satisfied or pissed or JUST DONT CARE.... - these ratings tell absolute nothing about the quality of a game - since the ratings we see are coming mainly from fanboys and girls with an subjective mind. media, reddit, youtube etc. where you see content as proofs speak way louder - but is claimed as corpo/cash/influence bs. lovely just lovely. "Dream on" nothing more to add here.

all these steam threads are just useless and blind... like the last one where someone praised cyberpunk sells over horizon sells in august, while in february horizon beat cyberpunk big times - its all subjective just to feel better. but objectively it tells nothing.
Sadly this is pretty much allways the case. I do some steam reviews when i find a great game and want my friends too see my review. Others are welcome too use my review too ofc but its mainly aimed at friends. Bad reviews i kinda do to otoo warn people. Middle games i really dont care enough too do any.

Sadly this is pretty much allways the case. I do some steam reviews when i find a great game and want my friends too see my review. Others are welcome too use my review too ofc but its mainly aimed at friends. Bad reviews i kinda do to otoo warn people. Middle games i really dont care enough too do any.
friends are a good source too - you know them, they know you - often the likings of each other are also known. way better than taking any random scores/reviews or whatever as a serious manner.

thing is most of the player who are annoyed about a game or didn't care because its boring, broken, not their type etc. just dont care about rating for it and move on. that's why these statistics on any platform are just bubbles. - there are cases like Genshin where the community de-ranked it from a 8/10 to 2,5/10 on purpose to show mihojo the ,,I,, but that's not common. sadly.
It depend, there are games which players are annoyed by them, but players care enough about these games to let a "bad" rating :)
Examples : AC Valhalla 3.3/5, Fallout 76 2.6/5, Anthem 2.9/5,...
But a "bad rating" doesn't always mean that I wouldn't like a game (bad/good it's subjective...), just an idea, at best.

Top Bottom