User Reviews (GOG and Steam)

+
You might be right there, they should add half stars tho imo. But it seems on the 10 scale average is 7 so it seems allways scewed towards the top end for some odd reason.
Which immediately highlights the problem. Mathematically an average is 5,5; or 6 if you will. Yet on a review score its believed to be 7 (apparently) which mathematically just doesn't make any damn sense.
Which is also why I do not bother with aggregation sites. They are trash imo.

Incorrect. Nobody from CDPR said this, just some redditor. Who got most of other things wrong, too:
"While there are some areas in the Witcher 3 where villagers don’t have a daily routine, they are planning to improve this with giving more than a thousand NPCs a handmade routine."
Thanks! There is a second podcast where the three CDPR devs even make fun of this and say they must be very careful what they say because sure as hell there will be wrong translations on reddit. Also shows a bit that it is not only CDPRs mistake but a collective one where random people on reddit and youtube spread misinformation.

Preorders political? Now im not quite following you :) 8 million pre orders are a pretty big payday before the game is even released tho..
I'm saying that I will only pre-order a game if I want to set a sign. For example, I love CDPR and wanted to have Cyberpunk 2077 and with my pre-order I am showing trust in the developer and affection for the product. I do this because I want more games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher and not games like Call of Duty, Overwatch or any UbiSoft game. I also pre-ordered Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong even though I knew that there would be certain problems with the game.

I do not pre-order because I just want to have the game or because I just want to be able to play on day-1 even though most people do just that. I hope I made my statement a bit clearer.

Kinda dont think it was rushed too release due to finances anymore, they already made the investment back on pre orders alone. Partly was the last delay (not popular at all) and im guessing they really wanted too hit the end of the year shoppers. Delaying again would probably piss people off even more too... even if it was needed. kinda wish they would have just shown it (could be done without spoilers.). Think most people would have understood then ^^ Or meby not :D
CDPR is a publicly traded company with investors and they would have been very upset if the game was additionally delayed. Please keep in mind that many investors do not care if the delay helps the company in the long run, they are just interested in the short term and want as much profit as possible out of their investment. Thus, this decision was probably based on the investor sentiment and not so much on the gamer sentiment.

When you say "most people would have understood" are you referring to the ones that sent death-threats to CDPR developers after the first two delays or the other ones? If CDPR had delayed Cyberpunk 2077 again, there would have been an immense uproar.

I'm saying that I will only pre-order a game if I want to set a sign. For example, I love CDPR and wanted to have Cyberpunk 2077 and with my pre-order I am showing trust in the developer and affection for the product. I do this because I want more games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher and not games like Call of Duty, Overwatch or any UbiSoft game. I also pre-ordered Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong even though I knew that there would be certain problems with the game.

I do not pre-order because I just want to have the game or because I just want to be able to play on day-1 even though most people do just that. I hope I made my statement a bit clearer.

CDPR is a publicly traded company with investors and they would have been very upset if the game was additionally delayed. Please keep in mind that many investors do not care if the delay helps the company in the long run, they are just interested in the short term and want as much profit as possible out of their investment. Thus, this decision was probably based on the investor sentiment and not so much on the gamer sentiment.

When you say "most people would have understood" are you referring to the ones that sent death-threats to CDPR developers after the first two delays or the other ones? If CDPR had delayed Cyberpunk 2077 again, there would have been an immense uproar.
Ok now i kinda agree. I tend too pre-order from companys i trust and want too support (formerly Bioware, old Blizzard, Trojka, Obsidian and CDPR). I do not however preorder games i probably wont like. I dont pre order for day 1, unless they have a stupid release with staggered access and stuff like that(doubtful i would pre order for it even then).

While that is true it might also have too do with CDRPs talk about the game beeing playable since april. They sounded like perfectionists with all the "polish" when it was much more dire. Especially on weaker hardware. Investors probably played into it ofc.. But even they did not know the state of the game.

I think it was mainly the last delay that really pissed some people off. I dont remember it beeing big problems from the first and second delay, death threats are never ok! But im also guessing there was a small minority that did that. Sadly its a reality on the interwebs and were probably never ever gonna get rid of it totally. If they hade been more honest about the issue instead of calling it more polish every time i have a feeling more people would have understood. Heck even i was pretty pissed the last delay, but i got over it without any bad behaviour just like i think most people did.

Have too hope they have learned somethings from this, seems they have clammed up pretty hard for most of the time after so. Also sounds like they will make there tech leads and so on have more input. Hopefully it works.

What I can tell you for sure is that super-advanced NPC AI was not something most people had high hopes for after watching 2018 demo. The only thing random NPCs were doing there is walking around and talking over the phone. It was only after seeing articles based on this fake report that people's expectations skyrocketed.

I would kinda disagree that peoples assumption of a high quality ai were based on the "faked" article - because ai wasn't just about the npc crowd routines but also about how the companion (jacky) act in the demo like in the Sandra Dorsent mission or at the Royce fight or the ambushes and driving shootouts with the NCPD/Gangs - and those haven't any connection to the article but surely to the podcast and demo. so claiming the expectations are only build about a "faked" translation is just very low minded. did u even hear the podcast? if you did you wouldn't dare to drop a comment like this xD - this interview is by far another reason for building a hype. its a high motivation speech of their "visions" they are going to create - which dont match with reality - like the 2018 demo doesn't do as well.

Last edited:
There is a second podcast where the three CDPR devs even make fun of this and say they must be very careful what they say because sure as hell there will be wrong translations on reddit. Also shows a bit that it is not only CDPRs mistake but a collective one where random people on reddit and youtube spread misinformation.
Let's be honest, it's still mostly CDPR fault that this happened. You don't have to be genius to know, that people want to have full info about the upcoming game, so if you give an interview in foreign language people will try to translate it. And CDPR did shitty job (or rather did nothing) to explain what was said in this podcast so that the info would be more accessible to international community.

but also about how the companion (jacky) act in the demo like in the Sandra Dorsent mission or at the Royce fight or the ambushes and driving shootouts with the NCPD/Gangs - and those haven't any connection to the article but surely to the podcast and demo.
True that part was different but as to my knowledege also known in advance at around the time they disclosed there would be no skill-tree for the spiderbot. (You are referring to statements like main NPCs noticing where you look at in dialogues and similar, right`)

this interview is by far another reason for building a hype. its a high motivation speech of their "visions" they are going to create - which dont match with reality - like the 2018 demo doesn't do as well.
True it does not match reality because it was work in progress and that has always been the case with every game. Take a look at the Witcher 3 and how different it is from the demos they have shown before the release. At least I noticed many changes but also did not bother because the demos was work in progress and as far as I remember also declared as such (WIP). In game development your vision will almost never be the game you will end up with in the end.

I also assume that this would have been an integral part in the game and given that 1.5 introduced features that are not supported on last-gen. Likewise, it could be that these ideas did not properly work on last-gen consoles. Naturally, there could have been other reasons this feature was removed as well.

I would kinda disagree that peoples assumption of a high quality ai were based on the "faked" article
You are the very first I hear mentioning the main NPCs AI and not the crowd and more particularly the police AI which gives me reason to believe that most were interested in former. Personally, I don't care much about the former and the game is fine as it is. I would even go as far a saying that I do not want a better police AI because CDPR should focus on something else instead. However, I was interested in these main NPC features but as I have said I knew quite some time before the release that this feature had been removed.

Let's be honest, it's still mostly CDPR fault that this happened. You don't have to be genius to know, that people want to have full info about the upcoming game, so if you give an interview in foreign language people will try to translate it. And CDPR did shitty job (or rather did nothing) to explain what was said in this podcast so that the info would be more accessible to international community.
I agree with most of what you are saying here. While I do think it is not CDPR's alone fault and there are other contributing factors they clearly had a problem related to their communication and in my opinion they still have. But I would still argue if CDPR had offered a statement regarding the NPC features it would already have been too late, because the other statement is far more interesting. Still, some people would have read it and it could have contributed in managing expectations.

Regarding the reviews: When having a look at the some of the 1 star reviews on GOG the often say that the game is crashing on their end and while I do not say there is no issue it seems like Cyberpunk 2077 is extremely sensitive to overclocks due to it taxing the machine much more than other games. (This includes things like factory overclocked GPUs and XMP if the manufacturer did not properly test it.)

Likewise, I guess it is safe to assume that many that overclock do not properly test for stability (me included^^) and assume that after running minesweeper for 48h stable Cyberpunk 2077 should be stable as well. Then, when a problem occurs they already completely forgot their overclock and blame the game.

Some other recent negative reviews are also in Russian and I assume this might be due to CDPR's reaction to the war.

Top Bottom