Using a boat now sounds like a constant chalkboard

+
Using a boat now sounds like a constant chalkboard

Very annoying to sail around the skellige islands with this super annoying loop of chalkboard playing. Was sure that wasn't the case in 1.08. I believe I've found the piece of offending code in boatComponent.ws

Code:
        LogChannel('Boat', "Rudder change: " + change );        
        if ( change != 0.0f )        
        {
            LogChannel('Boat', "Rudder SET dir: " + value );

boatAnim.SetBehaviorVariable( 'rudderAngle', value );
            rider.SetBehaviorVariable( 'rudderDir', value );

if( !boatEntity.SoundIsActiveName( 'boat_steering_loop' ) )
            {
                boatEntity.SoundEvent( 'boat_steering_loop' );
            }
            steerSound = true;

rudderDir = value;
        }

Any change greater than zero triggers the boat steering sound. Since you're constantly moving the boat this mean the steering loop plays ALL THE TIME. It's driving me nuts. It even keeps playing after the boat has stopped, probably because of a small rounding error that makes it greater than 0.

The code used to instead check:

Code:
if ( change > RUDDER_DIR_THRESHOLD )

Please, for the love of my sanity when sailing, change it back!

UPDATE: Tried modding it myself and this code is indeed the problem. I agree the previous version you really never heard the full sound. But reintroducing RUDDER_DIR_THRESHOLD and setting it to something a bit smaller like 0.015f allows the fuller sound to occur often enough without being this constant grating annoyance.

Last edited:
Yes - the noise. It has been driving me insane for the entire evening. Why on earth did they fu** around with the boats - they were working fine all along.

I wrote a mod that fixes it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/794/

---------- Updated at 11:42 AM ----------

@goatofdeath, send this to the support email so it gets to the right people in time for the expansion update.

Nice find.

What is the right e-mail to write to? I just kind of assumed they'd be checking the forums. I've found additional bugs I planned to post here. But if sending support messages directly works better I will totally do that.

Last edited:
I wrote a mod that fixes it:

I can't post a link though because I'm new. Ugh. Take out the spaces from below.

http ://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/794/

---------- Updated at 11:42 AM ----------

What is the right e-mail to write to? I just kind of assumed they'd be checking the forums. I've found additional bugs I planned to post here. But if sending support messages directly works better I will totally do that.

Thank you so much for the mod - just in time. Best part of the description is: "ALL THE TIME" ;D

Better do both - posting and submitting. When it comes to submitting requests - click "SUPPORT" (on the top of this site) then "Constact us" and write a bug report. eg.: [BUG] [SOUNDBUG] [BOAT]...Steps to reproduce etc. Simly take a look at the bug-report guidelines. Maybe upload a savefile.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the mod - just in time. Best part of the description is: "ALL THE TIME" ;D

Better do both - posting and submitting. When it comes to submitting requests - click "SUPPORT" (on the top of this site) then "Constact us" and write a bug report. eg.: [BUG] [SOUNDBUG] [BOAT]...Steps to reproduce etc. Simly take a look at the bug-report guidelines. Maybe upload a savefile.

Thanks for the info. I submitted a bug for this and the arachas gwent bug I found as well.

Sucks for us console users, because we can't mod anything. But it is soooooooooo annoying. And it is for all boats that can be used everywhere. Holy crap it is annoying. To me it sounds like a higher pitched sound of a normal wooden boat creaking in the water. Higher pitched and sped up version

Sucks for us console users, because we can't mod anything. But it is soooooooooo annoying. And it is for all boats that can be used everywhere. Holy crap it is annoying. To me it sounds like a higher pitched sound of a normal wooden boat creaking in the water. Higher pitched and sped up version
I feel your pain. I loved my original Xbox, but man, hitting things I knew should be different and having no control over changing it really sucked. Pushed me right back to PC gaming. Even if the hardware costs are higher, I know I'm playing the best possible version of the game I want to play. Through mods and an awesome community so many game are made so much better, the Witcher 3 included.

Good god that's annoying! Just checked it out for myself and sure enough my peaceful serene sailing days are over. Ugh...they really gotta fix this one.

Good god that's annoying! Just checked it out for myself and sure enough my peaceful serene sailing days are over. Ugh...they really gotta fix this one.
I have been drowning out that sound with I Heart Radio playing on my computer while I play the game on the console,lol

---------- Updated at 12:00 PM ----------

I feel your pain. I loved my original Xbox, but man, hitting things I knew should be different and having no control over changing it really sucked. Pushed me right back to PC gaming. Even if the hardware costs are higher, I know I'm playing the best possible version of the game I want to play. Through mods and an awesome community so many game are made so much better, the Witcher 3 included.

Yeah, with 2 growing teenage sons, it's hard for me to go through Tiger Direct to slowly piece together a rig, like I used to before they were born, at least before the 2nd one was born.

They have not included your fix in patch 1.11....i think it's better if you open an official ticket at support.

Top Bottom