V lifepath really doesnt matter after act 1

+
i really thought this would be a major impact on the rest of the game, but its really not other than response to in game convos. would like to see more life path specific only quests perhaps or relationships with V inner circle in DLC if possible. life path specific only gear too would be freakn awesome to look for and collect in game.

Madae

Forum veteran
They may not be as well developed as people hoped, but my corpo life path has given me many options, some that made a mission a lot easier than what I expect other life paths would have, other times more money, insight into particular things that may or may not have altered the quest. I suppose I won't know the full extent until another playthrough with a different path, but the differences are there as far as I can tell.

One particular situation that really stands out was a mission for Takemura. Without spoiling too much, I was able to talk my way into a building with dozens of guards that I likely would have had to sneak by or fight in other situations.

I'm gonna be honest, the lifepath/backstory thing was always going to be somewhat superfluous in the grand scheme of things. I know a lot of people were going into this game with the expectation that choices and the like would lead to RADICALLY different outcomes and branching narratives, but that wasn't going to happen. The backstory had very little impact in Mass Effect outside of dialogue, and it was the same story with the first Dragon Age (besides the opening, which, similar to this game, was different depending on what you chose) despite the fact that the subtitle of that game was literally ORIGINS.

And to dig even deeper into branching narratives and the impact of player choice, an RPG like Divinity: OS2, which is more reactive than most RPGs, I, having played multiple times, didn't have a DRASTICALLY different experience from playthrough to playthrough, despite trying pretty much every choice option I was given.

A AAA RPG with the level of production values as this game wasn't going to be that malleable of an experience, it just isn't feasible, and I'm sure CDPR realized that as well, which is why over time they slowly whittled down their ambitions.

I mean, if people had to be crunched in order to get the game in the state we have it now, people probably straight up would have had to have DIED in order to get the game that some of you were building up in your heads lol which sure, CDPR pushed for, but it was pretty clear that over the years their ambitions started to shrink as the reality of what was actually feasible became more and more apparent, and the level of polish and balance that many here (and on reddit) were expecting of all of these systems would have required a degree of finesse beyond even that of a studio like Rockstar, which, I'll be frank, was borderline delusional.

It's rather meaningless besides some extra dialogue. They're also extremely short. Just more barebones from the barebones "rpg"

I'm gonna be honest, the lifepath/backstory thing was always going to be somewhat superfluous in the grand scheme of things. I know a lot of people were going into this game with the expectation that choices and the like would lead to RADICALLY different outcomes and branching narratives, but that wasn't going to happen. The backstory had very little impact in Mass Effect outside of dialogue, and it was the same story with the first Dragon Age (besides the opening, which, similar to this game, was different depending on what you chose) despite the fact that the subtitle of that game was literally ORIGINS.

And to dig even deeper into branching narratives and the impact of player choice, an RPG like Divinity: OS2, which is more reactive than most RPGs, I, having played multiple times, didn't have a DRASTICALLY different experience from playthrough to playthrough, despite trying pretty much every choice option I was given.

A AAA RPG with the level of production values as this game wasn't going to be that malleable of an experience, it just isn't feasible, and I'm sure CDPR realized that as well, which is why over time they slowly whittled down their ambitions.

I mean, if people had to be crunched in order to get the game in the state we have it now, people probably straight up would have had to have DIED in order to get the game that some of you were building up in your heads lol which sure, CDPR pushed for, but it was pretty clear that over the years their ambitions started to shrink as the reality of what was actually feasible became more and more apparent, and the level of polish and balance that many here (and on reddit) were expecting of all of these systems would have required a degree of finesse beyond even that of a studio like Rockstar, which, I'll be frank, was borderline delusional.
It would have been nice to have individual storylines for a little while in act 2, for example maybe the Nomad life path goes off into the Badlands for a while with a few specific missions and then they all merge into a single storyline for act 3. Maybe given a little more meaning to choosing your life path. Agree with your point though, there has to be a physical limit to how 'bespoke' each life path could be before they become 3 separate games.

It would have been nice to have individual storylines for a little while in act 2, for example maybe the Nomad life path goes off into the Badlands for a while with a few specific missions and then they all merge into a single storyline for act 3. Maybe given a little more meaning to choosing your life path. Agree with your point though, there has to be a physical limit to how 'bespoke' each life path could be before they become 3 separate games.

Fair point, maybe they can take more into consideration in future expansions, since those will be smaller in scope, and thus easier to create deviating paths, similarly to how HoS and B&W were more varied experiences than the base game.

I'm gonna be honest, the lifepath/backstory thing was always going to be somewhat superfluous in the grand scheme of things. I know a lot of people were going into this game with the expectation that choices and the like would lead to RADICALLY different outcomes and branching narratives, but that wasn't going to happen. The backstory had very little impact in Mass Effect outside of dialogue,

Ok, true, but the spacer origin did give you a background story that went through all three games (I loved that Shep’s mom and her own side story got referenced throughout the trilogy).

And, actually, hell... random little things like that, text or calls only, based on your path would at least be something to add depth and a unique flavor to the experience.

The entirely optional ability to get some experience of what Corpo V’s life was like during that intro was a really nice touch and a few more of those would have been something that could have been added with very little work.

You are right that I did go in expecting the paths opening to be more meaty in the style of DA Origins, but even a half-dozen superficial follow-ups might have done a bit more for me (God knows they added something to my ME experience on one play through va the others, small as even that was).

Ok, true, but the spacer origin did give you a background story that went through all three games (I loved that Shep’s mom and her own side story got referenced throughout the trilogy).

And, actually, hell... random little things like that, text or calls only, based on your path would at least be something to add depth and a unique flavor to the experience.

The entirely optional ability to get some experience of what Corpo V’s life was like during that intro was a really nice touch and a few more of those would have been something that could have been added with very little work.

You are right that I did go in expecting the paths opening to be more meaty in the style of DA Origins, but even a half-dozen superficial follow-ups might have done a bit more for me (God knows they added something to my ME experience on one play through va the others, small as even that was).

Exactly. As far as flavour goes, the three to choose from are so barebones I'm not even sure why they bothered keeping the opening acts for them. Corpo could've been cut from the game entirely and it wouldn't have made a difference.
Untitled-1.png

Because the game they sold is a mash up of two different versions of it. The pre Keanu Reeves 2018 game, and the post Keanu Reeves game.
Post automatically merged:

I'm gonna be honest, the lifepath/backstory thing was always going to be somewhat superfluous in the grand scheme of things. I know a lot of people were going into this game with the expectation that choices and the like would lead to RADICALLY different outcomes and branching narratives, but that wasn't going to happen.

No, not radically, but with a deeper impact on V. They last 15 minutes, they are convoluted and rushed (expecially corpo), and the game literally turns you into a street kid, after a rushed montage that doesn't allow you to explore V changing, the relationship with Vik, Jackie and T-Bug (which is never even introduced properly), and it also shows Padre, even tho you are supposed to know him only on the street kid path.

Yeah, it's definitely the weakest RPG part and I wouldn't notice if it didn't exist. The opening is diffferent and then it's just a boring addition that gives more options. I wish they affected e.g. combat because as a corporate you'd much more likely be a better hacker/silent gun assassin than street brawler.

Yeah, it's definitely the weakest RPG part and I wouldn't notice if it didn't exist. The opening is diffferent and then it's just a boring addition that gives more options. I wish they affected e.g. combat because as a corporate you'd much more likely be a better hacker/silent gun assassin than street brawler.

It was probably meant to be like that, before they got rid of classes and changed into a fluid system, for better or worse. The Nomad origin even have a techie dialogue "check".

Can someone explain and delineate how can I find out what Act I'm in. I got out of the prologue not too long ago and have no idea where I'm at in the story.

Can anyone help?

Can someone explain and delineate how can I find out what Act I'm in. I got out of the prologue not too long ago and have no idea where I'm at in the story.

Can anyone help?

I forget what triggered “Act 1” to show up on the screen, but it was big bold blue-white letters on the left side of the screen, and you’ll know when you’re in Act 2 without a doubt.

Top Bottom