"V will have only one apartmant in the game." - Kasia Redesuik (gamestar.de interview)

+
Was never going to be a "do as you please" game. Never advertised as that.

Cyberpunks are absolutely limited - what they can do in-game, how they do it, who they can do it to. Your Roles, your gear, your methods.

And, again, Cyberpunks don't have apartments. It's 2077 not 2010. Stay mobile, stay alive. A home is a target.

Cool i hear you, but clearly the consumers want the freedom of choosing a hideout whenever/wherever they feel like it. It was one of the best decision u guys made,why change it now?
Plus it just feels better knowing i chose something in a game rather then something chosen for me. Please change it again

The CDPR apologists are coming out in full force today.

Some of us are disappointed and are simply expressing that. No need to gatekeep and tell us how Cyberpunk is all about lack of choice or how dumb it would be to have more than one apartment when it's clear that CDPR thought otherwise a year ago. This isn't a dealbreaker but definitely a worrying sign for a game that espoused the virtues of freedom in a very believable and open city.

Cool i hear you, but clearly the consumers want the freedom of choosing a hideout whenever/wherever they feel like it. It was one of the best decision u guys made,why change it now?
Plus it just feels better knowing i chose something in a game rather then something chosen for me. Please change it again
The biggest thing here is that people expected CP2077 to be GTA in a cyberpunk universe, nothing more or less than that. Now they get a wake up call, because what the few people envisioned isn't going to happen and their lifes are now shattered. Tough cookies if you ask me.

Demanding CDRP to do something because you're unhappy about it... lol..
The CDPR apologists are coming out in full force today.

Some of us are disappointed and are simply expressing that.
Dude above you literally demands CDRP to make a change. You call that "simply expressing disappointment"? SMH.

I agree with the rest of your post... and frankly, I'd rather they concentrate on whatever else they see as more pressing to the game development that's less than a year out from release.

The biggest thing here is that people expected CP2077 to be GTA in a cyberpunk universe, nothing more or less than that. Now they get a wake up call, because what the few people envisioned isn't going to happen and their lifes are now shattered. Tough cookies if you ask me.

Then the game shouldnt have been advertised in a 'GTA' way. Now after the pre-orders we get such dissapointing news. Thats a huge chunk of game flexibility they took away there. Smh

I can't imagine V getting to the "Big Leagues" and having a lot of money and still living in a tiny flat in Watson. i mean, come on. That is assuming the plot is around that though.

I'm assuming that this change means exactly that, that V's story is not about getting filthy rich and making the big time.

The character might start on their path because of this, but I'm gonna guess things get complicated and that the game is actually about V trying to just survive and unravel a mystery they've been thrown into.

Like I said, just my best guess.
Post automatically merged:

Then the game shouldnt have been advertised in a 'GTA' way. Now after the pre-orders we get such dissapointing news. Thats a huge chunk of game flexibility they took away there. Smh

To be fair, advertising is pretty subjective. I understand what you're saying but I can't be the only one that didn't feel this game was supposed to be GTA: Cyberpunk Edition. It just never seemed like that to me.

To me, the game advertising felt more like an open-world Deus Ex, or Vampire Bloodlines: Cyberpunk Edition, although I'm sure it will have its own style and identity of course.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that this change means exactly that, that V's story is not about getting filthy rich and making the big time.

The character might start on their path because of this, but I'm gonna guess things get complicated and that the game is actually about V trying to just survive and unravel a mystery they've been thrown into.

Like I said, just my best guess.

To be fair, advertising is pretty subjective. I understand what you're saying but I can't be the only one that didn't feel this game was supposed to be GTA: Cyberpunk Edition. It just never seemed like that to me.

To me, the game advertising felt more like an open-world Deus Ex, or Vampire Bloodlines: Cyberpunk Edition, although I'm sure it will have its own style and identity of course.

Dont get me wrong i wasn't trying to compare gta to cp2077, these games couldnt be more diametrically opposed, hence the apostrophes, I was qouting northtops interpretation and context.
I was just comparing promises

I can't imagine V getting to the "Big Leagues" and having a lot of money and still living in a tiny flat in Watson. i mean, come on. That is assuming the plot is around that though.

I bolded that last part because many people assume it will be based around that. What if it isn't? What if that "getting to the major leagues" line is just a quote from Jackie in the quest we saw in the last year's gameplay and this year's trailer? What if the plot is not a typical "rise to power" fantasy but something else, V just trying to stay alive and "save him/herself" while Night City chews and spits out everyone else while Silverhand plots his revenge?

Similarly to @gogmeister777, I never got the impression that it was GTA:2077. I dunno what to tell you... vote with your wallet, I guess. If this is such a detrimental part of the game for you that will either make it or break it, or if you straight up are not going to enjoy the game because it won't let you pick different color futon for your character's apartment, then just don't buy the game. :shrug:

What if the plot is not a typical "rise to power" fantasy but something else, V just trying to stay alive and "save him/herself" while Night City chews and spits out everyone else while Silverhand plots his revenge?

That would make a lot of sense and fit right into the cyberpunk motif of struggling to survive.. of ''making it out alive'' without some greater purpose or gratification other than your own life, a loved one or simply hope.

I think this thread does sum up a real issue in gaming and media today - expectations and entitlement.

Last year, before E3 - no one knew about apartments - single, plural, anything. A reasonable guess, based on the Cyberpunk setting and CDPR's history with the Witcher is that the base game, at least, would have nothing like that.

Then CDPR said, with massive frequent disclaimers, there's our CDPR-approved version here right at the top of the Dev Answers thread, let me quote it:

"Most of what follows must be seen as temporary and subject to change. There are no promises being made here and you are not guaranteed results. Batteries are not included! So, see these as what they are - CD Projekt Red developer posts from the Net that represent -that answer- at -that time-.

And no more. Things change in development right up until release. "

CDPR said this:

>\Can we own multiple homes?

June 9/18 Peter Gelencser: "“V’s apartment will be a standard thing, you can own your apartment and there is a chance to own multiple apartments. "

So CDPR NEVER said it wouldn't change, and even in the initial statement from Peter, only said there was a -chance-.

Expecting something where there was no such guarantee is very much an issue with the other party.

This is also why CDPR is soooo twitchy about showing stuff off before it's finalised. People can react poorly if they don't get what they were expecting.

Similarly to @gogmeister777, I never got the impression that it was GTA:2077. I dunno what to tell you... vote with your wallet, I guess. If this is such a detrimental part of the game for you that will either make it or break it, or if you straight up are not going to enjoy the game because it won't let you pick different color futon for your character's apartment, then just don't buy the game. :shrug:

Haha I see what u did there, at the end of the day we judge *Free*-roaming-openworld games based on their freedom of choice nd how extensive that freedom really is,which includes but not limits to gameplay/mechanics/plot etc.

This is the first I'd heard of that, definitely disappointed. :( I had been looking forward to the ability to "move up in the world" and after starting in a low class / crappy place, after getting bigtime contracts and making big $, moving up to a nice place.

Sad to hear that it won't be an option now but it is only a minor part of the game. Hope we still get to body mod at least.

I'm gonna take a bold guess here and say that the singing of Keanu changed EVERYTHING they had planned up to that point.

Do you remember last year's character creation screen?
We had the option to choose between 3 childhood heroes...

Silverhand - Most famous Rocker Boy
Blackhand- Most famous Solo
Arasaka - Corporate God

After the Inclusion of Keanu as your permanent sidekick they 've thrown these options away because having a corpo or a solo as your idol wouldn't stick with the narrative any more.

So, I guess by doing this they excluded some elements from V's goals and way of thinking, his character is more pre defined now.

Silverhand will always be pushing you towards his RockerBoy-fight the system agenda throughout the course of the game so maybe the "living the big life" priority was scrapped because of this, along with the luxury apartments.

On the other hand they've also added options to help define your character at start up. At this year's E3 we learned that you will choose whether V was a Street Kid, a Nomad, or a Corpo, and that the choice impacts interaction with other characters throughout the game. That did not appear in the brief character creation preview at last year's E3, and it is possible it may have replaced the childhood hero options.

most of you don't get it, them giving us only one apartment is a limitter to a somewhat limitless-options type of game. Instead it being a 'do as u please' game, its now a 'you're only allowed to do this' type of game nd that fucking sucks i expected more from 7 years of development

Where did you get the impression this was going to be that sort of game?

Cyberpunk 2077 was never advertised that way, and none of the Witcher games were sandboxes. The Witcher 3 may have been open world, but it was a very much a story and character driven game, rather than one that was all about the activities you can do in that open world. The disappointment you're feeling is now is entirely to your own unrealistic expectations.

Personally I'd much rather Cyberpunk drew inspiration from The Witcher 3 (complex and interesting characters, side quests as fun as the main path, multiple paths and endings, a game world that feels alive, ect) than go the sandbox route.

Last edited:
Where did you get the impression this was going to be that sort of game?

E3 2018 ? The trailer was all about Night City, no narrative at all. It made us want to see what it's like to live in that city, not to follow the new CDPR story.
A game world that feels alive is good, but ultimately shallow if you can't do anything in it. A world where you can feel YOU live inside is better.

Again, of course we're not asking for a Sims game in a Cyberpunk universe, but it would be good to have a little more interactions / Customisation / Activities. It can only do good to your world.

To be very concrete, add Pool and Poker, make us be able to have a drink in a bar. Those 3 little examples just made the world more deep, interactive and atmospheric. Of course it takes some additional effort but I don't think it is gigantic and unbelievable.

However it is worth it to add that kind of substance to your world, because suddenly you're not here anymore to look at stuff and just be very passive, you can feel you're a part of it.

Again, the appartment thing just symbolizes the fact that we fear the world is going to be a little shallow outside of the quests. And if it is, what is even the point ?

Last edited:
^^Who's "us" you are talking about? Also, every single game from CDRP thus far (granted, all Witcher games), have been story driven... so when I'm seeing another game from them, my first instinct is to expect another story driven game.

Pool and poker? Can you think of something more generic? Honestly, while I'm less eager to take part in the bot-boxing or whatever they have going on there, I'm really intrigued by the hacking mini-game, and I look forward to learning more about it. It certainly sounds a lot more interesting than playing poker for a millionth time, and fits the world and narrative a lot better, IMO.

As for substance... who's to say there isn't going to be any? Who's to say they don't have something super awesome in the pipeline? Why pass judgement on the work in progress project about which we know so little about?

Us as in... the general public ? I don't think I'm mistaken in saying that first trailer made us want to see what it's like to live in Night City, more than anything else. That's what it was about.

Pool because :
Cyberpunk2077_05.jpg

It looks like a neat cyber variation

Poker because I've seen it mentionned a lot and it fits that gangster feel the game is trying to convey.
But again, they were examples.

Finally, I'm not expessing any early judgement on the game, I clearly said in the very message you're responding to, that I expressed a fear.

I'm sure the story / RPG aspect of the game is going to be absolutely excellent. They insisted on that. Unfortunately we don't yet know what the open-world is really going to be about. What we have heard about it until now, is not great however, in my opinion. (apart from a purely "aesthetic" standpoint, I mean)

I could be wrong, maybe CDPR can confirm. But I believe the reasoning for this is the many cinematic cutscenes that takes place in your apartment. Think about it, if you had customization and multiple apartments - CDPR would have to take these, say 30 cutscenes, and multiply that with what? 3-4. And with customization? Oof.

It makes sense to me that CDPR WANTED to add these but simply couldn't, because they are putting soooooo much stuff in this game and making it such an experience, that the time and work investment simply makes that impossible.

A solution to this could be adding a second room or loft or such, and let us customize that. Dunno. But I think this is the reasoning, and if this is the reasoning, it is acceptable IMO. I'd love more apartments and customization too, like, I want it a lot. But I understand if they can't for the reason above.

It always amazes my how these house/apartment threads are so popular, ESO ended up adding dozens of them for every zone.

Houses and own apartments are so over-used, what if we could stay in hotels? Smash the hotel room or party it down, sounds more fun to me.

Btw Ive received 6 likes with this CDPR? Time to smash some things up!

Top Bottom