"V will have only one apartmant in the game." - Kasia Redesuik (gamestar.de interview)

+
So last year at E3 and Gamescom in different interviews it was stated that you'll be able to own multiple apartments.
Is it true that this was scrapped and it's now one apartmant with a garage and no customization of the apartment?

Can a RED confirm/deny/comment on this? :sad:

Can you give us a link to the article ?

It's by far my biggest disappointment with the game so far. When i first read that we will have multiple apartments I thought it was a natural development from the Corvo Bianco vineyard from Witcher 3 Blood and Wine dlc. They introduced housing in a story driven rpg with a fixed protagonist with that protagonist being permanently "on the road" because of his profession as a monster slayer. I fully expected the housing system being expanded in more sandboxy rpg with a customizable protagonist. Now I read that it have been basically a downgrade to the vineyard, as there is not even any customization of the apartment. It made so much sense to have several housing possibilities as a way to portray V's raise in status and power and it would have been a good way to deal with a common rpg problem- the player having too much money and nothing to spend it on. I'm sure there is a good chance that a dlc will introduce additional apartments but it won't be the same not having it during the first playthrough. I hope CDPR reconsiders. This is a really big feature for a lot of people .

THIS. Too much money, not enough to spend it on. Jackie says in the gameplay demo that the Maelstrom guys are wearing "millions" of eddies worth of cyberwear. If I can spend millions on body mods but I can't buy a penthouse in a city center skyscraper or a flat in Japantown, I'm gonna be pissed at the wasted opportunity.

This looks visually like the most impressive futuristic world ever simulated. To have no property system like Skyrim had a decade ago would be just plain stupid. Immersion breaking. Disappointing.

I'm starting to wonder if my expectations are too high for this game. I was assuming it was more than a story game... But I worried it's gonna be a lot like RDR2. Breathtaking story you playthrough once but never pick up again because the world is so empty without any quests to do.

Sounds disappointing mainly because first they mentioned the ability to have different ones. If it was marketed before we wouldn't have expected more, but now it seems a bit like a downgrade, regardless what conscious reasoning or choice may be behind it. A larger fun or interest factor for me is really feeling a potential rags to riches or rise to the top story by this being backed by not just but also better or more luxurious housing options as you gain progress or money to afford it.

I kind of want to start with something simple and as I make the right calls and contacts, eventually get a nice place in the corporate center. Or also just have different apartments for security (to hide) or logistical (travelling around the city) purposes.

The latest trailer already shows you that you can end up in a situation where hiding is preferable.

E: Lack of "sufficient" customization or at least lack of rudimentary options are also a bummer.

Last edited:
I like my idea even I say it myself. I think it would be fun to get banned from a hotel if you acted badly. But yeah its massive job to add hotels with restaurants, bars, discos etc. Staff and customers etc. If you go for poor hotels, with zero protection your car might get destroyed.

Kinda bummed out you can't decorate. I hope that at least you'll get some mementos added to your apartment after certain events.

Either way, it's not a huge issue for me.

Relevant part from the link above:
"V wird nur ein Apartment haben und auch dort bleiben. [...] Du hast eine Wohnung und kannst verschiedene Fahrzeuge in deine Garage stellen. Aber es gibt leider keine Möglichkeit, deine Wohnung zu dekorieren."

Translated it does indeed mean what we are all discussing right now.

"V will only have one apartment and will stay there. [...] You have one apartment and can store various vehicles in your garage. But sadly there won't be a possibility to decorate your apartment."

I guess they couldn't come up with a good idea about tying that feature with the narrative or felt like if they would implement that, it would be really pointless from gameplay standpoint, since it's not like GTA, when you have to go back to the apartment everytime to save the game. Well, from my standpoint it was always a meaningless feature anyway, so I can't say I care much about a lack of it.

I guess they couldn't come up with a good idea about tying that feature with the narrative or felt like if they would implement that, it would be really pointless from gameplay standpoint, since it's not like GTA, when you have to go back to the apartment everytime to save the game. Well, from my standpoint it was always a meaningless feature anyway, so I can't say I care much about a lack of it.

Pointless? You are a mercenary on the run that should have multiple hideouts. In a cyberpunk world where technology is top notch, there is no chance you can't be traced easily to your apartment. We will probably have 50+ levels of progression and during that time will meet multiple bosses and gangs. You're telling me that one apartment from gameplay standpoint is a good idea? I should be dead immediately when I step in the room by some placed mine, bomb or even gang members waiting for me in the bathroom when I killed big fish of the mafia or something.

At first i was thinking V is an alias and nobody knows where you live ( maybe Jackie knows ) but if the first demo is still cannon the Scavs found Jackie's car pretty quickly .

I imagine V is an alias as well, or an initial for their real name. Most people probably don't know V's real identity.

It is probably a bit similar to the "Mr. Robot" moniker applied to the main character of the TV series of the same name. The character is an infamous hacker in the show, but hardly anyone knows his real identity.

They could bring new houses for V when the narrative makes sense, so V is starting from zero, probably at some point he will have more respect in the city, and more money, so he should for example get a apartment at some story point in Downtown, to showcase his social status, and progress he made in the city.

Honestly, i would prefer one apartment/hideout for every district, i dont even care about the customization stuff, give us few features like in first demo and will be fine, i don't think making apartments will require a lot of work, maybe im wrong.

Last edited:
Extremely disheartening news.

Don't get me wrong, still hyped beyond words for the game and in fact, it almost feels embarrassing to complain about this but I do believe, for many of us, this would or could have been an essential part of the RPG experience of living in Night City.

I know I might be representing a minority here, but I absolutely love the ability to choose where you want to live in an open world RPG game and when carefully executed, it can become an extremely satisfying part of the narrative.

We know that to some extent, at least, Cyberpunk 2077 is a rags-to-riches sort of story about V making it to the "major league" so there is a huge difference in terms of what that journey feels like when you go through it living in the same apartment, versus when you know that, if you do well and save up, you will be able to move into a penthouse late game. It provides an extra layer of a realistic sort of motivation and planning. So even if they do implement it later in an expansion, it won't make up for that entirely, because it won't happen along the main quest line.

There's still time and I believe there could be a way to implement this before the release in an economical manner that is not too heavy on developers but still satisfies the many fans who have been fantasizing about their Night City penthouses for almost a year.

Pretty please.

Also, I do encourage everyone that agrees to just post a comment on this thread as CDPR is wonderful to their fans and if there's enough interest expressed here it may not be in vain.

My opinion: In every game which allowed the player to have multiple bases / houses / whatever (Morrowind and Fallout 4 comes up as the best examples) I never bothered with that aspect of the game. So having multiple / one / none at all apartments in CP2077 has absolutely zero meaning for me.

Owning multiple apartments has always been an immersion-breaker for me in games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs. IRL you don't normally leave your properties vacant just in case you get tired of the other ones. I mean, how many people in this comment section own even one flat? V is not a superhero, she's just a petty criminal, and that's great. That said, *choosing* your one place would be a great roleplay element. Personaly I'd like a dump in Pacifica with Voodoo Boys for neighbors. The hotel room idea also sounds neat and very cyberpunk.

Owning multiple apartments has always been an immersion-breaker for me in games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs. IRL you don't normally leave your properties vacant just in case you get tired of the other ones. I mean, how many people in this comment section own even one flat? V is not a superhero, she's just a petty criminal, and that's great. That said, *choosing* your one place would be a great roleplay element. Personaly I'd like a dump in Pacifica with Voodoo Boys for neighbors. The hotel room idea also sounds neat and very cyberpunk.

Totally with you on the "choosing your base" to start off with, that would be very cool, but to defend the ability to own multiple homes, or rather, to buy a new one: I think for many of us it's not about getting tired of your old place and wanting a change of scenery. It's about how much it can contribute to a rags-to-riches type story. And if the in-game economy is designed well, it shouldn't be that you just move whenever you please. Apartments should be extremely expensive. Plus, if the more advanced cybernetics and augmentations are also pricey it could become such an interesting choice where some players would rather spend on one over the other. I would almost go as far as to say that to be able to move into a significantly nicer apartment within the world is essential for a truly satisfying rags-to-riches RPG.

Why is this news bothering me so much?!
I guess it's because I was really looking forward to the rags to riches story. Start off as a street kid, get richer than god, buy a penthouse in the city center and live as a king.

Last year that was all but promised with "multiple purchasable apartments" and now they've swept it under the rug without telling any of the major journalists at E3. One single interview mentioned in German.

Yeah. I'm upset. I wish they'd told us upfront "we couldn't keep apartments and here's why"

Why is this news bothering me so much?!
I guess it's because I was really looking forward to the rags to riches story. Start off as a street kid, get richer than god, buy a penthouse in the city center and live as a king.

Last year that was all but promised with "multiple purchasable apartments" and now they've swept it under the rug without telling any of the major journalists at E3. One single interview mentioned in German.

Yeah. I'm upset. I wish they'd told us upfront "we couldn't keep apartments and here's why"

I feel ya. I'm almost bothered by how much it bothers me haha...

Let's hope someone from the team will come out and comment with more info on Monday.

Top Bottom