"V will have only one apartmant in the game." - Kasia Redesuik (gamestar.de interview)

+
Totally with you on the "choosing your base" to start off with, that would be very cool, but to defend the ability to own multiple homes, or rather, to buy a new one: I think for many of us it's not about getting tired of your old place and wanting a change of scenery. It's about how much it can contribute to a rags-to-riches type story. And if the in-game economy is designed well, it shouldn't be that you just move whenever you please. Apartments should be extremely expensive. Plus, if the more advanced cybernetics and augmentations are also pricey it could become such an interesting choice where some players would rather spend on one over the other. I would almost go as far as to say that to be able to move into a significantly nicer apartment within the world is essential for a truly satisfying rags-to-riches RPG.

Yeah, I agree that it's a good way to show social progress your character makes. Tailoring the game economy in such a way that it reflects the general state of the world would be great and quite cyberpunk. But it is very hard to balance I think in a relatively open world without permadeath - quite often the rags-to-riches aspect in RPGs is way too pronounced and the player ends up owning ten homes and being grand master of all the guilds after like 10 hours of gameplay. Kind of ruins suspension of disbelief for me. Maybe aquring a luxurious Japantown apartment could be a one-time story thing, a reward if you chose to sell out and go corpo? Something like that. But I don't like the idea of buying several flats very much. Staying in progressively expensive hotels, on the other hand, could work both story-wise and gameplay-wise.

Huge bummer, you are murdering and destroying things, and live in the same place...
Why not just put a sing in the front saying "HEY I'M V AND THIS IS MY HIDEOUT MURDER ME!"
From, a Role-playing game perspective this is plain bad...
Many older games have more than one property, my home in whiterun in skyrim until this day feels like my home in that world, and Proudspire Manor in Solitude feel like all the loot made sense, i go there to place my conquests(Coll armor and itens) in display and to get the bonuses for sleeping there.

Yeah, I agree that it's a good way to show social progress your character makes. Tailoring the game economy in such a way that it reflects the general state of the world would be great and quite cyberpunk. But it is very hard to balance I think in a relatively open world without permadeath - quite often the rags-to-riches aspect in RPGs is way too pronounced and the player ends up owning ten homes and being grand master of all the guilds after like 10 hours of gameplay. Kind of ruins suspension of disbelief for me. Maybe aquring a luxurious Japantown apartment could be a one-time story thing, a reward if you chose to sell out and go corpo? Something like that. But I don't like the idea of buying several flats very much. Staying in progressively expensive hotels, on the other hand, could work both story-wise and gameplay-wise.

Very good points made. And I do agree with a restricted number of apartments on the market, maybe not tied to a quest, but, say, no more than 3 apartments you can buy total, each super expensive.

You're right, balancing the game economy to such a degree is very hard, but if anyone I think CDPR could handle it. By no means a perfect analogy, but I remember spending my skill points on abilities vs. mutations in TW3 was quite the dilemma sometimes and choices felt heavy as I sure as hell didn't want to break the immersion by going on dull mutagen farming sprees and knowing that skill points are capped.

I was also hoping you could become rich, buy and alter stock prices through espionage, sabotage etc.
This is a biggie, for how the story & freedom will be.

This would be phenomenal, especially considering the role of corporations in the Cyberpunk universe. But like, in a much more sophisticated way than in GTA V. Might be too ambitious...

If it's true that's a bit disappointing. Of course we don't know the story, but I imagine at one point we get more famous and wealthy, it would make sense to have a better apartment and additional smaller hideouts.

Damn, that's really sad. I had really hoped to be able to buy a luxurious apartment in the Corpo district later in the game to RP my corporate origin Vs drive to climb the social ladder. That's a bummer.

We'll have to see. Feedback is already being generated on this. While it might be unlikely they change their mind in the previous direction again, it is absolutely possible until or perhaps for a time after release (DLC?).

And if they add good modding support, mods might make it happen.

Bummer regardless, was hoping for that corporate center apartment or similar. We'll have to see...

It's not a sandbox game so I understand. I just can't imagine a street mercenary who fights for his/her survival owns super-duper luxurious home. If V owns that rich home, he/she is just already a rich.. then why fight he/she against world or something?

Pointless?
Yes, from pure gameplay standpoint it is completely pointless. In the GTA games multiple apartments made sense from gameplay perspective, since you were using them to save the game. In Cyberpunk 2077 it seemed like they were going to be just kinda there, without serving any other purpose, which is why they might have decided to not include them.

It's not a sandbox game so I understand. I just can't imagine a street mercenary who fights for his/her survival owns super-duper luxurious home.

Sorry but I can't imagine a street mercenary who lives in the same house which can be easily tracked, robbed and destroyed throughout the whole game. Owning multiple apartments or at least renting them makes so much more sense.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, from pure gameplay standpoint it is completely pointless. In the GTA games multiple apartments made sense from gameplay perspective, since you were using them to save the game. In Cyberpunk 2077 it seemed like they were going to be just kinda there, without serving any other purpose, which is why they might have decided to not include them.

Please quote my whole post next time because you picked the word "Pointless?" out of context to make your point.
My previous message:

"Pointless? You are a mercenary on the run that should have multiple hideouts. In a cyberpunk world where technology is top notch, there is no chance you can't be traced easily to your apartment. We will probably have 50+ levels of progression and during that time will meet multiple bosses and gangs. You're telling me that one apartment from gameplay standpoint is a good idea? I should be dead immediately when I step in the room by some placed mine, bomb or even gang members waiting for me in the bathroom when I killed big fish of the mafia or something."

I think I answered why it is pointless and you're still acting like you didn't read it.

Last edited:
Sorry but I can't imagine a street mercenary who lives in the same house which can be easily tracked, robbed and destroyed throughout the whole game. Owning multiple apartments or at least renting them makes some much more sense.

They can get a hotel room when they need. It's more make sense.

Sorry but I can't imagine a street mercenary who lives in the same house which can be easily tracked, robbed and destroyed throughout the whole game. Owning multiple apartments or at least renting them makes some much more sense.

Please quote my whole post next time because you picked the word "Pointless?" out of context to make your point.
My previous message:

"Pointless? You are a mercenary on the run that should have multiple hideouts. In a cyberpunk world where technology is top notch, there is no chance you can't be traced easily to your apartment. We will probably have 50+ levels of progression and during that time will meet multiple bosses and gangs. You're telling me that one apartment from gameplay standpoint is a good idea? I should be dead immediately when I step in the room by some placed mine, bomb or even gang members waiting for me in the bathroom when I killed big fish of the mafia or something."

I think I answered why it is pointless and you're still acting like you didn't read it.

You're right, of course, about all of this. Plus I still think it's important to also stress how buying a new home in a rags-to-riches RPG is the opposite of pointless.

It's not a sandbox game so I understand. I just can't imagine a street mercenary who fights for his/her survival owns super-duper luxurious home. If V owns that rich home, he/she is just already a rich.. then why fight he/she against world or something?

The whole point would be that you'd progress and evolve as a character throughout the story and after many, many gameplay hours and strategically made decisions you might end up with enough money to buy a fancy place.

It is becoming inceasingly clear that they focused on 2 games. The story driven RPG, and the "free" open-world.
And it seems to me that they are not planning on doing anything else with that seconde one. I fear it is going to be the "all look, no touch" kind of world type.

The apparments thing was the only kind of confirmation we had that could contradtict that, but now it is kinda gone.

What can I do in Night City then ?

If the answer is just "Well you can kinda just look at stuff and take side quests", it is incredibly disappointing.
Of course I'm not asking for a life-simulation, but some of it can add so much layers to your world. Mini-games are a good way to do that for example

My previous message:

I'm aware of that, however I believe what you described is looking at that aspect purely from narrative standpoint, not a gameplay perspective. In theory, yes, you can make a point about how V owning a multiple apartments could serve to hide his indentity (though from my point of view, that would make him/her an easier target to track then when he/she would own just a single flat), but in practice it would be nothing more then window dressing, because they don't serve any other function then visual one.

Top Bottom