"V will have only one apartmant in the game." - Kasia Redesuik (gamestar.de interview)

+
Majority of us are dissapointed by this,we have every right to. While the minority is clearly happy with whatever 'great CDPR' gives or takes from their overall enjoyment. Its pathetic tbh.
Care to show the statistics on that statement or are you just pulling rabbit out of a hat to fit your narrative? Several million people all over to world are expressing interest in this game... I'm guess, you've asked all of them for the opinion? Please... do share.
The sadly-dissapointing part here is realizing as good as CDPR is,and the time they're taking to make this game. They STILL cannot add all these sandbox features with their so-called great storyline. Why couldnt they make cutscenes throughout other apartments aswell. E.g once u buy an apartment a cutscene gets triggered from it that then leads to a quest.
Forfuck'sake
And who exactly started the BS about cut scenes being the reason for this decision? That excuse makes no logical sense.

I am MASSIVELY disappointed in this personally. I think I am okay that you can only own perhaps one place at a time but not allowing your character to live in a specific district and/or a specific way for immersion is really frustrating to me. I think being able to upgrade your living conditions (or downgrade too) is a great form of progression/immersion that makes me get so much more into the game/world. I'd like to be able to replay a game as a street smart mercenary living in the trenches/dirt of the city and being right in the thick of the grime and in another game playing as more of a corporate wannabe having to purchase a nicer car/home to match that style of play. I'm still going to buy this game of course, but I honestly stopped my preorder for the Collector's Edition after reading this. It was a huge deal to me personally.

Didn't expect people getting into meltdown mode so much because of limited housing options. Never considered it to be integral for RPG experience. Much more deep RPGs didn't have it.

On the other hand, CDPR (and any other studio for that matter), don't promise something you can't/won't deliver.

Another thing that I frequently see - attitude: I WANT OR ELSE! [Snip]

Edited: Keep it friendly, please. ~Riven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually a recent post specified what I wouldn't mind.

In other words, I do not have to necessarily own multiple apartments at a time, but I think it would be cool to have a selection of apartments (at a time), meaning you can live in other districts if you wanted to. Or have crappier or luxurious apartments. Don't have to be many but at least one in the corpo center :p

E: if it is background related I also would not mind.

Those saying people who are disappointed by this are just too hyped are kind of obtuse. An RPG that's touting high-level customization options not having different player homes to reflect playstyle is patently ridiculous. To not have this as a feature would really dampen the RP aspects they're going for and that so many players love in these types of games. They went so far as to release promo posters for the four different aesthetics that will be present in the game and that you can use; yet not having player homes to reflect these, or to not have the ability to make your apartment reflect these seems greatly mislaid. It's not like this is some kind of new groundbreaking feature. Player homes have been present in numerous different games for over a decade. A particularly good example is Fallout New Vegas which allows you to have plenty. That game was made in a year. It is both stopping short on the part of CD Projekt Red and ignorant for those waving away peoples concern and disappointment just because it's not a feature they're particularly interested in.

I'm not saying you're too hyped. I just vehemently disagree with your reasoning that large RPG = Player Housing. For all your examples, I can four other well-respected RPGs that didn't even have any.

Again, the term RPG is just too nebulous to pin down on, let alone on housing.

It's an expectation you had that needn't have to be born out. To say you're disappointed with that, fine. I understand. I'm sorry this game didn't meet your dream list of features in an RPG. And you know what? I too would have liked to see more player housing, so on that we can agree.
But those saying that this is a woeful oversight, a make-or-break issue and that this assumption was completely reasonable and an industry standard, are overstretching it more than a little and are gravely overestimating these presumptions.

Last edited:
To say this is a woeful oversight is stretching it.

I have found that these days there are a large number of people who seem to have no opinion of their own, but are quick to jump on an overreact bandwagon when they notice someone else making noise about something. That is not to say I consider ingame player housing a trivial issue, but number of posts in this thread are definitely caused by this kind of bandwagon effect.

I'm not saying you're too hyped. I just vehemently disagree with your reasoning that large RPG = Player Housing. For all your examples, I can four other well-respected RPGs that didn't even have any.

It's an expectation you had that needn't have to be born out. To say you're disappointed with that, fine. I understand. To say this is a woeful oversight is stretching it.

Good thing my reasoning is not large RPG = Player housing lets not straw man what people are saying here.

The fact of the matter is the game is a large RPG and it does have player housing. So right now, to make an argument that for personal narrative and immersion purposes it would be more interesting/fitting to be able to choose different ones in different districts of the game is absolutely not outside the realm of what we're dealing with. That's just the way it is.

RPG's are a nebulous genre, It's true, but in a game touting heavy customization both physically and narratively as to who you want to be in this world; What you want to be to this world, player housing is just another reflection of that. And any argument that you can make about this not being necessary for a strong RPG narrative and you can make them and they're valid, holds just as strongly for being able to customize your characters clothing, your character's hairstyle and your character's gender; The Witcher was a great RPG with a fixed character, it should just be that then, that would be better. Why don't we just have you be a fixed character like Deus Ex? It can still be a damn good RPG!

Because it's not that type of RPG. It's an RPG about being the version of V you want to be. I didn't say it was "woeful oversight," I said it's stopping short. Because it is. They're letting you customize just about everything with this character from your backstory to your gender, to your race, to what factions you associate with to what cars you drive and what clothes you wear. This seems like a very logical and cohesive addition to that. I'm not saying it HAS to be there. Nobody is saying it is a MUST for the game to be good. But we are saying it will be a noticeable negative. It will be a thing where every time we play the game we'll say "I wish they had given us options in that regard" And when we go into some of the cooler apartments and homes that belong to NPC's in the game we will say "damn I wish I could have a place like this in the game" I reference other games simply to say that it can be done. I feel like with the narrative freedoms they're giving the player, New Vegas is a very apt comparison. More player choice is never a bad thing.

Last edited:
I think most of them came in thinking CP2077 was going to be like second life or the p&p. No, like every video game, it's scripted. We're following a story with a set of rules/ choices we must abide by that feel seemingly unplanned. There's no serious improv. There's probably a good reason why we're either starting off with or keeping this one apartment.

At any point, I don't much care. I'd just like to know if there's thrash metal in the future.

Ultimately this is not about housing, its about story driven vs sandbox RPG.

This game won't be sandbox so expecting features such as focus on housing is silly.

The only RPG developer that makes these kind of games is Bethesda, but they figured out this formula is good for MTX so the future is not bright for this sub-genre. Unless you are into games like Outward.

Ok, this got me thinking - seeing how much Scarface mirrors the excess and style of Cyberpunk20771980, can we buy a large cat?

Can we own multiple large cats? (all this stuff we cannot have in this here restricted sewer-rat urchin cage)

Last edited:

It's an expectation you had that needn't have to be born out. To say you're disappointed with that, fine. I understand. I'm sorry this game didn't meet your dream list of features in an RPG. And you know what? I too would have liked to see more player housing, so on that we can agree.
But those saying that this is a woeful oversight, a make-or-break issue and that this assumption was completely reasonable and an industry standard, are overstretching it more than a little and are gravely overestimating these presumptions.

That's fair if that is your perspective but when the very same studio earlier touted this feature and has now walked it back, it is now reasonable to wonder what else they are going to walk back down on going forward towards April next year. Player housing for this game was a big deal to me because of the setting itself with distinct districts/areas in the city which can truly get you immersed in the game. In many other RPGs housing doesn't really matter as much to me given the setting or overall story arc/narrative but this environment and what it is really lends itself better than any other RPG setting I have ever seen for housing. Now I also wonder about the utility/value of the economic variables of the game as now am I just making money to upgrade guns and buy vehicles? That's fine, but ultimately not that interesting to me personally. The fact that this very studio also hyped different housing units in the past clearly shows that they likely saw the value of this for immersion as well.

I only hope someday there is a great mod for something like this...is it going to make not buy the game? Of course not. But yes, I probably can wait now until April next year and just buy a standard game versus pre-ordering the CE. I guess for me it was that big of a deal because when I heard the studio say it before, it was a huge hype factor (at least for me) that drove me to look at the game. It's not Keanu Reeves, or the shooting mechanics, or even the world itself on its own. It was their focus on the word immersion. I don't question this is still going to be a great RPG, I do question whether I will get the immersion I was hoping for in my game experience. Immersion with just mission specific choices (Deus Ex) and decisions in how you do that versus long-term progressive change in the life/status of V is not the same thing to me and the housing served the latter.

Ultimately this is not about housing, its about story driven vs sandbox RPG.

This game won't be sandbox so expecting features such as focus on housing is silly.

The only RPG developer that makes these kind of games is Bethesda, but they figured out this formula is good for MTX so the future is not bright for this sub-genre. Unless you are into games like Outward.

But there is a player home in the game so evidently not that silly. What do you define as "sandbox"? This game is open world and quote "the player can explore night city freely"

But there is a player home in the game so evidently not that silly. What do you define as "sandbox"? This game is open world and quote "the player can explore night city freely"

Being able to buy and do stuff. Like the large cat in the poster. Like the apartment/s the corpo would own in the other poster.
Buy a business, run a gang, whatever - some freedom. It would be a pity if all you could do in such a well crafted Cyberpunk world was wander the streets.

I'm joking about the cats but hey, why not? Poster characters get them, we dont. We stay a rat in our hovel.
V says himself, "It's a city of dreams, and i'm a big dreamer". (as long as the dreams are confined to the story's tight rails)

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is the game is a large RPG and it does have player housing. So right now, to make an argument that for personal narrative and immersion purposes it would be more interesting/fitting to be able to choose different ones in different districts of the game is absolutely not outside the realm of what we're dealing with.

I agree that the increase of options would be a positive. To start expecting them still goes too far in my humble opinion.

From a different perspective: They could've given us a large-scale RPG with no housing. Instead, they've given us a large-scale RPG with housing. To reason that therefore this should be a large-scale RPG with even more housing, is being given an inch and expecting a foot. Again, in my opinion.

I myself see don't see this as a persuasive argument, but again I'll agree with you that more would be better. I just don't expect it.

That's just the way it is.

I will take your statement of fact as an opinion and respectfully disagree with it.

RPG's are a nebulous genre, It's true, but in a game touting heavy customization both physically and narratively as to who you want to be in this world; What you want to be to this world, player housing is just another reflection of that. And any argument that you can make about this not being necessary for a strong RPG narrative and you can make them and they're valid, holds just as strongly for being able to customize your characters clothing, your character's hairstyle and your character's gender; The Witcher was a great RPG with a fixed character, it should just be that then, that would be better. Why don't we just have you be a fixed character like Deus Ex? It can still be a damn good RPG!

I once more find myself agreeing with you that these things would be nice to have. This is still not a watertight argument as to why the game SHOULD or MUST have it. All of these are nice bonusses, but the reasoning does not leave me with the expectation that the game ought to have this.

Because it's not that type of RPG. It's an RPG about being the version of V you want to be. I didn't say it was "woeful oversight," I said it's stopping short.

That would leave us in another discussion on what an RPG is, or how we define subtypes of RPG or immersion. Apparently, you wanted it to be a specific sort of RPG. I did not have that same expectation. CP77 did indeed stop short of what YOU wanted it to be, but CP77 did not stop short of what I thought it would be. For you, it feels like there was an oversight. Things are missing. Others can disagree.

Because it is.

I will take your statement of fact as an opinion and respectfully disagree with it.

They're letting you customize just about everything with this character from your backstory to your gender, to your race, to what factions you associate with to what cars you drive and what clothes you wear. This seems like a very logical and cohesive addition to that.

And I think that here, we're at the heart of our discussion. This is the very essence of our divergent opinion:

CDPR is building a game. In a way, it is much like a road. This road is leading in a certain direction. It is incomplete, but it's apparently heading... somewhere.
You know there's a river up ahead and you deduce this road must eventually turn into a bridge. All the evidence is there. You give all your reasons: The game already has a backstory, race, factions, cars, clothes. There must also be a multitude of player housing! It's the logical and cohesive addition to the direction of this road: A big beautiful bridge!
And once again I agree with you. A big beautiful bridge would be awesome. However, I'm adapting a wait and see attitude.

Then suddenly, CDPR starts digging down and it becomes clear they're going to tunnel underneath the river instead of ford it. Multiple apartments will not be in the game. There's apparently reasons for that, vague as they might be. I once again agree with you that I would've liked seeing a big beautiful bridge. The difference is that you're still invested in the bridge because you had all these reasons to believe it would be so, while I've already put on my hard hat to see how construction is going underground.

The continued discussions is on whether the bridge was a missed opportunity and whether the road has devalued because it runs through a tunnel instead of a bridge.
I argue that the road will work out just fine. You argue that the road's value has depreciated fundamentally for a lack of a bridge. Some argue that a bridge was always the entire point and that we don't want no stinking road. Priorities have somewhat scattered and will continue to do so as CDPR finishes its road and snakes it in different directions than we had anticipated.

I'm not saying it HAS to be there. Nobody is saying it is a MUST for the game to be good. But we are saying it will be a noticeable negative. It will be a thing where every time we play the game we'll say "I wish they had given us options in that regard" And when we go into some of the cooler apartments and homes that belong to NPC's in the game we will say "damn I wish I could have a place like this in the game" I reference other games simply to say that it can be done. I feel like with the narrative freedoms they're giving the player, New Vegas is a very apt comparison. More player choice is never a bad thing.

I think we understand each other. And I agree, more is good!

However, I think a tentative understanding of each other's points is all we're going to get PlanetaryCon. I understand your dissapointment. However, I also hope you understand that my expectations for this project are different and that your personal reasoning won't necessarily work to convince my kind. I can follow you, but other than agreeing with you that it's a shame, the understandable energy that you are putting into your post, isn't rubbing off on me to share in your personal experiences regarding the development of this game. Perhaps foolishly, I continue to be somewhat fine with this as I continue to share my reasons as to why I disagree, which results in the both of us realizing we're not seeing eye to eye. It's just so vexing that we couldn't all just share in each other's state of mind! You formulating your own thoughts on these forums is a perfectly worthwhile expression that I appreciate.

I'll leave it at that. You have a valid personal opinion that I happen to disagree with since my approach is different. And I'll grant you this: If you put it the way you do, I can almost begin to feel that we did indeed miss a golden opportunity that I should get worked up about. That frustration just doesn't stick with me for very long as I begin to consider how the tunnel will work out.
Thank you for taking the time to share it though. I think it helps clear up what both sides in this argument are thinking and feeling.

Last edited:

Players these days have gotten used to a more "wholesale" play experience due to AAA games, beyond just story-on-rails. By this I mean open world, player activities, side missions, cosmetics, customization, etc.

As it seems hard to recall, many Action RPGs don't let the main character have a home at all. Remember all these games from the 90's where you were due to sleep in inns... I don't understand what to be furious about.

Guest 4211861

I don't understand what to be furious about.

They said in 2018 that the player would be able to
  1. live wherever they wanted (look at all the CP2077 articles from 2018 repeating "multiple purchasable apartments").
  2. choose out of a pallete of life goals, including getting rich, or getting even with someone (e.g. play what you want).
That's a lot of freedom, which is great! But now the game is a rail shooter with RPG elements and an unavoidable Keanu who will constantly pester you with colour commentary. They went from "revolutionary" to "more of the same" - chasing MacGuffins round and round.

That's the problem, not the apartment itself, nobody really takes the apartment thing too seriously, but the whole vision has changed and is now less attractive and revolutionary than what they proposed last year. Ah well, wait for price drop?

Regardless, it's clear what this game will be, a rail shooter with a cute story and Keanu, as opposed to the groundbreaking immersive world it was last year.

Top Bottom