"V will have only one apartmant in the game." - Kasia Redesuik (gamestar.de interview)

+
So, feel free to use your "but cyberpunks dont stay in one place!" excuse, but hopefully you also argue in favor of the alternate mechanics that would be necessary to support it.

Nah.

You could - but that would mean a sleep mechanic. There isn't much to see in a bubble coffin.

People aren't using their apartment(s) for bio reasons either - it's something they want to play with. And more toys are better, right?

Being mobile in Cyberpunk is a theme thing. Geralt was very mobile and accomplished this theme very well. Spending your entire game going from A to B and never resting, always on the prowl? Oh yes, very cyberpunk.

I mean, up to me I'd have you wake up in a bubble hab or sleep coffin or walk out of a dingy hotel a few times, sure. But only if the plot called for a sleep-break.

Wouldn't bother to give you a sleeping bag or hotel key so you could activate a mechanic many people find tedious.

Stay on the move - rest when you're dead. Or when you save and quit, heh.

Nah.

You could - but that would mean a sleep mechanic. There isn't much to see in a bubble coffin.

People aren't using their apartment(s) for bio reasons either - it's something they want to play with. And more toys are better, right?

Being mobile in Cyberpunk is a theme thing. Geralt was very mobile and accomplished this theme very well. Spending your entire game going from A to B and never resting, always on the prowl? Oh yes, very cyberpunk.

I mean, up to me I'd have you wake up in a bubble hab or sleep coffin or walk out of a dingy hotel a few times, sure. But only if the plot called for a sleep-break.

Wouldn't bother to give you a sleeping bag or hotel key so you could activate a mechanic many people find tedious.

Stay on the move - rest when you're dead. Or when you save and quit, heh.
Sorry, never resting is very cyberpunk? For weeks on end? o_O Nah, I disagree. Seems more like a game limitation/design decision. Pretty sure people sleep in the Cyberpunk universe.

But if your reasoning is "no, cyberpunks use boltholes, sleep in cars, etc." and then don't actually follow up on that in-game... I'm going to call that logic into question. We can agree to disagree on this, but so far, people are trying to give "logical" (not gameplay) reasons for no apartments/one apartment. Except those reasons aren't actually all that logical IMO.

Plenty of valid gameplay arguments you could make, BTW.

You don't actually need a sleep mechanic. You could just have a fade-to-black rest system where you get some sort of temporary buff. Or just use it to quickly pass time (a la meditation in TW3).

Not quite sure how that would be anymore tedious than meditation was. You could make it so this wait mechanic works either at your vehicle, or at various pre-determined locations around the city.

I'd want a sleep mechanic just to pass time so my V can do her dirt in the dark. If that sleeping takes place in the back seat of a car, a temporary bolt hole on the outskirts of the Combat Zone, some cheap coffin motel in the run-down section of Pacifica, or wherever I'm good.

I'd want a sleep mechanic just to pass time so my V can do her dirt in the dark. If that sleeping takes place in the back seat of a car, a temporary bolt hole on the outskirts of the Combat Zone, some cheap coffin motel in the run-down section of Pacifica, or wherever I'm good.

I wish I could book some high-end hotel penthouse suite for one day and party it down.

Spending your entire game going from A to B and never resting, always on the prowl? Oh yes, very cyberpunk.

Fair enough, but this goes against one of their mission statements for this game: player freedom. It's a balance between adapting the world of Cyberpunk 2020 and allowing the player to play how they want within the rules of this world. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to rise the ranks and become the next "Dexter DeShawn" or even a "Donald Lundee" in this world, and I'm sure these two characters own plenty of real estate in Night City.

I don't know, the whole reasoning behind no longer implementing multiple places of abode is quite suspect. It sounds like a red herring to me, and the real reason may be something went wrong with this feature during the development cycle and the devs are back pedalling on it.

Fair enough, but this goes against one of their mission statements for this game: player freedom. It's a balance between adapting the world of Cyberpunk 2020 and allowing the player to play how they want within the rules of this world. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to rise the ranks and become the next "Dexter DeShawn" or even a "Donald Lundee" in this world, and I'm sure these two characters own plenty of real estate in Night City.

I don't know, the whole reasoning behind no longer implementing multiple places of abode is quite suspect. It sounds like a red herring to me, and the real reason may be something went wrong with this feature during the development cycle and the devs are back pedalling on it.
While I like the way you think, the problem is CDPR is a "story is everything" over "freedom in the game is everything" type of developer, so while we'll have the semblance of freedom, it won't be total freedom to do the kind of stuff you're talking about.

Could be. Good arguments have been made on both sides but it ultimately depends on whether or not that represents a priority for them. Making something as big as this, without thousands of people working on it . . . some things are bound to get cut/reworked, and even then, even if thousands are working on it, it depends on how much it fits mechanically and thematically into the game, into the experience.

I see this game not as a sandbox-y Mount and Blade or even Skyrim type game, more of a. . . Blade Runner or The Fifth Element, the RPG. As in, you play a character that lives in that world, that had a life before you took over and lead him through whatever comes next. As a character in that world, he needs a place to live, some established connections, some meager possessions. The player freedom is probably more about freedom of gameplay (abilities, ways of solving problems, choice and consequence, shoot, hack, stealth, talk.).That's a lot on their (and mine) plate already. Anything more would be the cherry on top of the cake and wouldn't really matter in terms of hitting those high notes of what makes a game, this kind of game, memorable.

Well given the rumoured CP Online game CDPR is working on, I think I know where our apartment options have gone. :)

CDProJektRed Has confirmed to working on multiple Cyberpunk2077 related games. So it seems as if they made compromises in order to bust out more games. That to me is unbelievable. I thought for so long that cdpr was going to be a saving grace but if housing is going to be so restricted. (In spite of the fact that CDPR used to confirm otherwise) Who's to say they won't cut even more content out because clearly that isn't a difficult thing to do right? I still remember when Rockstar made the statement that single player dlc for gtav was "neither possible nor was it necessary". Look i'm not trying going to go on a tangent so if you know that's not true then you know.

I'm OK with the excuse that "Cyberpunks should be mobile" as a justification for not having multiple apartments (or any apartments at all), but it ONLY works if you actually provide those "mobile" elements that everyone here keeps bringing up.

Give players sleeping bags, hotel rooms to rent, boltholes to discover and temporarily use, cars to rest in.

If the devs don't do that, everyone's justifications here fall flat.

Unfortunately, that's precisely what I think would happen if there wasn't the one apartment we have. Just like The Witcher 3, you will be perpetually awake 24/7 for every single moment of the game outside of scripted sequences where you sleep, with no way to rest or even an incentive to do so because it's not a survival game so no sleep need.

So, feel free to use your "but cyberpunks dont stay in one place!" excuse, but hopefully you also argue in favor of the alternate mechanics that would be necessary to support it.

In the Witcher 3 you slept to refill your potions or advance time for quests ;)
Geralt is a trooper, sits down and sleep sitting... oops... sorry "meditate"

I hope there will be sleeping bags -at least early for the nomad path-, the more immersion options, the better, even if it's presented like a W3 meditation with accelerated time.

KakitaTatsumaru, both V & apartment customization can co-exist.
If multiple accommodations are added, it will be as optional choice to buy. So if someone does not want to buy, he/she can avoid buying. It can be present as freedom of choice & of coarse realistic. In real life it is possible to buy properties in a country if you are not immigrant there. Look how Microsoft described Gamers' freedom of choice in this E3, people can stream games from their XBox to play in their other devices like Phones, tablets/PC.

If multiple accommodations are added, it will be as optional choice to buy. So if someone does not want to buy, he/she can avoid buying. It can be present as freedom of choice & of coarse realistic. In real life it is possible to buy properties in a country if you are not immigrant there. Look how Microsoft described Gamers' freedom of choice in this E3, people can stream games from their XBox to play in their other devices like Phones, tablets/PC.
I'd just like to add to that. Usually when developers are making a game. When they confirm something they don't then remove what they've confirmed. Hello Games (The infamous creators of No Man's Sky) contradicted this principle of common sense so when they released their game back in 2016, people were not happy about the game since none of the things confirmed with the game actually came to fruition. That's just one example. You'd think the die hard supporters of cdpr would acknowledge this since nobody actually defended Hello Games when they released their unfinished product but no. They call everyone else who criticises their "Perfect" developer "entitled" and that "these people want life simulators" IT WAS SOMETHING THEY EXPLICITLY CONFIRMED! E.X.P.L.I.C.I.T.L.Y So of course people will be let down by the sudden contradiction. Why are people suddenly defending this montonous practice of false hype and lies? This happens all the time. Ubisoft with epic presentations of games only for them to be downgraded on release, EA and Activision with gambling due to their loot boxes which sort of work like slot machines, Bethesda with their most recent game Fallout 76 as well as disapointments like fallout 4, and now CdProjektRed a developer that wanted to capitilise on the bad practices of other developers by hypocritically mocking them on twitter as they work so hard on PR so that people can get baited by the hype. I wouldn't be surprised if the journalists that were vilifying the game for political reasons, were paid to socially engineer a reverse effect encouraging even more people to pre order the game in rebuttal. The irony of it being that the people defending CdProjektRed are being condescending towards let down consumers. It just goes to show the tribalism in this whole community. It's almost like an echo chamber it's so full of snark. Just remember, for the people that don't want to purchase multiple properties as well as be able to (customise them). YOU DON'T HAVE TO! CYBERPUNK 2077 IS AN RPG (Supposedly) FOR A REASON!

It's simply not as big a knife's edge to most of us since the rest of the record is still good.

You name No Man's Sky, Ubisoft's presentations, EA/Activision's lootboxes and Fallout 76 as examples in your post. All of these examples are not to the scale of the omission of Apartments in CP77.

The presence of Multiplayer in No Man's Sky would've changed everything. Having someone else with you on the journey would be huge. Both Ubisoft/Bethesda over-promised on just the ENTIRE look, feel and quality of the game in every aspect. Lootboxes in an Activision/EA title change the entire nature of play, since they usually add grind to psychologically manipulate players into purchases.

If I were to assign a rating to that, it'd be a mountain, or at least a hill.

Then you've got your Cyberpunk, where in the thousands of concepts that were being developed and refered to in random interviews, they've changed maybe a dozen, which includes apartments. They haven't promised multiplayer and then removed that. They haven't given us a bogus trailer, claiming that's exactly what the game was going to be like in quality and looks. They haven't added lootboxes.

If I were to give apartments a rating, that'd be a molehill.

It's an ugly molehill that will forever be a blemish on the lawn of CDPR. I'm not denying that. However, it's not a mountain, no matter how much hyperbole you're going to throw at it.

It's a matter of gradation here. Look at it this way: If everything is the most terrible thing ever, then nothing is terrible anymore. It'd just be the new normal. I'm not willing to award CDPR just as much ire over the damn apartments, as I am over EA/Ubisoft lootboxes. They're simply not the same thing.

You do realize that, don't you?

And yes, I am grumpy that they left out multiple apartments and their customization, but I'm not going to foam at the mouth and act like it's lootboxes. We need SOME semblance of perspective here.

Note that I'm also not trying to undermine what you've appartently prioritized. Perhaps having multiple apartments in a cyberpunk game was your entire reason to be and your meaning to life. But to most of us, it isn't.

They haven't given us a bogus trailer, claiming that's exactly what the game was going to be like in quality and looks.
Really?!? Are you saying that the retail version of The Witcher 3 looked just like the 2013 and 2014 E3 trailers? Because if so, I'm gonna have to throw a flag on that play. If we're going to throw shade at Ubisoft for showing an E3 trailer that the final product didn't match up with, we kinda have to do the same with CDPR as well as they're just as culpable. The only difference is at the time, CDPR's fanbase was a lot more forgiving than Ubisoft's.

It's simply not as big a knife's edge to most of us since the rest of the record is still good.

You name No Man's Sky, Ubisoft's presentations, EA/Activision's lootboxes and Fallout 76 as examples in your post. All of these examples are not to the scale of the omission of Apartments in CP77.

The presence of Multiplayer in No Man's Sky would've changed everything. Having someone else with you on the journey would be huge. Both Ubisoft/Bethesda over-promised on just the ENTIRE look, feel and quality of the game in every aspect. Lootboxes in an Activision/EA title change the entire nature of play, since they usually add grind to psychologically manipulate players into purchases.

If I were to assign a rating to that, it'd be a mountain, or at least a hill.

Then you've got your Cyberpunk, where in the thousands of concepts that were being developed and refered to in random interviews, they've changed maybe a dozen, which includes apartments. They haven't promised multiplayer and then removed that. They haven't given us a bogus trailer, claiming that's exactly what the game was going to be like in quality and looks. They haven't added lootboxes.

If I were to give apartments a rating, that'd be a molehill.

It's an ugly molehill that will forever be a blemish on the lawn of CDPR. I'm not denying that. However, it's not a mountain, no matter how much hyperbole you're going to throw at it.

It's a matter of gradation here. Look at it this way: If everything is the most terrible thing ever, then nothing is terrible anymore. It'd just be the new normal. I'm not willing to award CDPR just as much ire over the damn apartments, as I am over EA/Ubisoft lootboxes. They're simply not the same thing.

You do realize that, don't you?

And yes, I am grumpy that they left out multiple apartments and their customization, but I'm not going to foam at the mouth and act like it's lootboxes. We need SOME semblance of perspective here.

Note that I'm also not trying to undermine what you've appartently prioritized. Perhaps having multiple apartments in a cyberpunk game was your entire reason to be and your meaning to life. But to most of us, it isn't.

I actually place loot boxes lower in severity here. At least with loot boxes you have choice. Them removing our choice here is worse to me. But everyone has their own gradation

Really?!? Are you saying that the retail version of The Witcher 3 looked just like the 2013 and 2014 E3 trailers? Because if so, I'm gonna have to throw a flag on that play. If we're going to throw shade at Ubisoft for showing an E3 trailer that the final product didn't match up with, we kinda have to do the same with CDPR as well as they're just as culpable. The only difference is at the time, CDPR's fanbase was a lot more forgiving than Ubisoft's.

No, I've not said that. Reread that paragraph. Do you see any mention of the Witcher 3?

Now you're just searching at something to get angry about.
Post automatically merged:

I actually place loot boxes lower in severity here. At least with loot boxes you have choice. Them removing our choice here is worse to me. But everyone has their own gradation

Bah. People with addictive personalities don't have a choice in that, so it's still super-scummy. I don't think you and me have that problem, but you can still see how the game has been tweaked to be less enjoyable than it could've been, which sucks.

Last edited:
No, I've not said that. Reread that paragraph. Do you see any mention of the Witcher 3?

Now you're just searching at something to get angry about.
Post automatically merged:

Bah. People with addictive personalities don't have a choice in that, so it's still super-scummy. I don't think you and me have that problem, but you can still see how the game has been tweaked to be less enjoyable than it could've been, which sucks.

Agreed, but this is also how I feel about possibly limiting our living area. Since this game thus far has been marketed as "the come up" of V, I would have expected a change in housing at the very least. Not necessarily owning multiple places but getting nicer stuff is usually a part of those rags to riches stories. In V's case, and seeing the Scav identify Jackies new ride, even storyline could have led to us leaving our original apartment

Top Bottom