V will not have the ability to dual wield weapons in this game (confirmed by Marcin)

+
Actually I see two major reason why V should be able to use dual weapons:
-Style over substance.
-For smartguns where aiming isn't even a point it would mean twice as much damages without much drawback.
While excellent points it's REALLY a style over substance thing. IRL dual wielding almost always leads to less hits then using a single weapon because it's very difficult to control two weapons at the same time. Yes, there are rare people that can do it, but the other 99% of us really can't.

Besides there's are SIGNIFICANT animation issue in a game associated with allowing players to dual wield.

Dual wielding has never made much sense to me, anyway. It looks weird, and can't possibly be that practical despite what games like to make it seem. Especially with guns or even just melee weapons bigger than a knife.
Well.... Technically...... In the world of Cyberpunk, there could be various different cybernetic implants that add electronic eyes all around a characters body and tie into hand-eye coordination abilities, perhaps even additional spinal-mounted robotic arms that all connect together to create an unbelievably powerful multi-tasking dual, quad, or octopi-wielding system that can independently track several separate individual moving targets even while the character using the system in question is also in the middle of movement. This system, especially in the world of cyberpunk is 100% possible. Technically. :smart: :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

What happened to style over substance
EXACTLY.

Mehh... dual wielding isn't practical, and dual wielding pistols only look cool when Neo does it in the Matrix. That aside... if they include it in the game, you'll have a group of people complaining about it being unrealistic. If they don't include it, you now have people complaining about it not being there. No matter what they do, you will have someone complain about it.

It's always the same story... fist, you have people complaining that CDPR doesn't release game footage. Then when they finally do, they complain about XYZ, and when X, Y or Z changes, they complain about that too.
I would love if CDPR added dual wielding to the game later on. Everyone who doesn't like dual wielding, well they're never going to accidentally pick up two guns and go "OH NO!! NOT AGAIN!!!" lol

No, which is why I described it as style over substance.
That was an excellent reply, but yea I have to agree with both of you though.

Everyone is talking about ranged weapons, but what about melee weapons? Dual-wielding swords is practical in certain (real life) situations.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :cool:

Aaaactually...it's grounded in Cyberpunk 2020, which is very much grounded in reality. R. Talsorian talks about this, and the research they did. They accelerated the tech, but given the hyper aggressive nature of corporate competition, ethics-free research and multiple conflicts to push the envelope, it's reasonable.

This is why your V will not be teleporting or flying around like Superman. She will not be a Jedi Knight or Sekiro or your Skyrim sorceror-assassin.

Practicality is very much a factor in Cyberpunk. No telekinesis, no wall running, no dual-wielding. The Rule of Cool very much has limits in this genre and game.
I can't wait to enjoy the vanilla Cyberpunk2077, but I also can't wait to enjoy the jedi mods that will inevitably come out. Why can't we have both?

On practicality and efficiency with dual weild...

The devs will need to implement some kind of dual weilding mechanics to get it to work right. example the left and right mouse button for individual hits. to take advantage of dual weilding means independant arms aiming at different target and doing different things. eg aimed at two persons at once to both his sides (ie in 48 min trailer, jackie points at both royce and another scavenger), pointing up + down, mid+upwards etc, in short versatility. ive never seen this implement in fpv games (i welcome someone quoting a FPV game that does). so far its just aim at one point reticle and click. This means we dont use dual weilding to the full extend we would as we would in rl or in VR where we can independantly point and do exactly what we want. i may have seen it with auto aim in another game somewhere, that can work, still its limited to forward view.

as for now dual weilding works almost same as single weilding in a fpv game. point using the reticle, and click. just animations are varied with types of strike/block/kill, but still in a forward view. I know theres game like skyrim and others where they do individual button for attack/block for each hand depending which side u hold the shield or sword and i know it can work. but its still forward view.
Apart from the double damage, dual weild is effective if u can strike/shoot with one hand someone in front while silmutaneous strike/shoot at another behind u. i'm not wanting to sound like i'm a kind of know it fight instructor, but those who are just gamers and played vr titles get my meaning. theres more freedom in that sense. I can shoot to one side while pointing at the other. Hopefully u get what i mean.

Dont get me wrong, yes dual weild can work in FPV(weve seen it), yes i do want it in the game, yes i imagined playing a scene where v is on that bike and Im flying off it shooting at militech. im just saying that currently what i've seen so far its mainly used for double damage. and yea i know its so badass like doom or serious sam to dual weild giant mgs, and holy hell the destruction is incredible. Yes I've also played dying light where u can hold a button to look backwards while running and shoot or throw stuff, takes getting use to, but do devs want to introduce something like that? idk. then theres the targeting system like weve seen in red dead etc. some more one can we have one hand with a katana striking and blocking at the same time the other hand shooting? that was the cyber ninja i wanted to build. however again this means implementing a dual weild specific mechanic for the game. though making a whole dual weild mechanic so close to launch date? and polishing it? idk.

in the end, for this moment, if id want to argue practicality? i'd be happy with just the traditional dualweild point and shoot. it does look bad ass.

Happy to hear others with dual weild in game experience, I know ive not seen all types.

my 2c.
Most video games just dual wield weapons and have both tied to the normal mouse button for shooting and just alternate the shots between every other click of the mouse, and have them both aimed at one target, just like if the player was only holding one weapon, so actually much more simple, and less stressful than previously thought.

But wouldn't that cause a strong recoil, breaking your arm(s)? Similar to what happens when you try to fire a shotgun with one hand?

Mantis Blades are only about the surprise factor. But that doesn't always makes much of a difference versus a simple hidden blade or, better yet, a hidden gun with armor-piercing rounds. On a side note, the space required in your arms could probably be better spend too.
Not to mention that the mantis blades aren't very maneuverable compared to traditional hand held blades, and could likely be outmaneuvered and outparried.

I've never regarded dual wielding anything larger than knives as being practical. However, there are a lot of not practical things in video games. But it's not something I had any plans to use.

HOWEVER, it's disappointing to see yet another implied feature not make it into the game. In anticipation of the typical ----------------------- ranting about "it was never promised!!!!!", please just ... whatever. There are enough images of the main character dual wielding that people who wanted it had every reason to expect it to be part of the game.
I have to agree with some of what you said.

I really feel that I have to say, if something was never promised, I feel that the footage or merchandise should never imply it in the first place. I know the footage so far says "work in progress" but perhaps a little bit more care in the far distant future could possibly be taken to ensure that less things are implied as possible, when they are not actually a thing (without being promised of course) so that when they are not added or "removed" or "never added in the first place" even though people could see those things, even though it was a work in progress etc etc etc. or whatever wording is used, that less people are disappointed when a game is finally released. I understand every side and why everyone IS or ISN'T disappointed and I have my fair share of these sentiments about things being or not being added in many different ways, but I'm just saying, it would help if there was a little bit more of a gentle touch by CDPR regarding these types of situations. Of course, I totally understand that CDPR is under a lot of pressure and I value their creative freedom even more than my suggestion to be more gentle about this stuff, so really, I get it, even though I don't get it. *sigh* you know what I mean?

Alright, maybe not break your arm. However, the recoil will sling the weapon out of your hand and possibly into your face, if you don't have a strong grip. I've seen real life examples of this.
And I've done it for real and so have others. If you don't have a good grip, you shouldn't be firing any shoulder-arm one handed. You don't need a super grip, just a firm one. The recoil is not insane.
What's really scary is that the gun could recoil, aim at the shooters own face, and then possibly misfire again, shooting the person that originally fired the weapon. It's a very sad kind of accident. I have also seen a short documentary of a man who held his large revolver the incorrect way, and the escaping hot pressurized gas from the gun firing exited the gun from the back, and removed some of the mans fingers, even though they were behind the weapon. I have also watched several videos where people fired a weapon and it recoiled and broke their own nose. Ouch :(

1) Double jump has nothing to do with dual-wielding, AND I have never said it's a good thing (quite the opposite, even).
2) You are still ignoring my other point, which happens to be listed first because it is the main point.
3) I couldn't care less. I have my opinion, you're entitled to yours.
4) You're wasting your time, especially with such extremely weak arguments.

PS. Something that looks as ridiculous and weird as dual-wielding does not have style; it's just stupid. That whole argument "but it's about style over substance" is flawed because what is 'style' is subjective.
Sometimes dual wielding can look very cool and stylish, but yes it is subjective of course.

Why not use two machine guns ? :D

Remember this guy ?
View attachment 11053370
That soldier did a VERY good job firing two very heavy machine guns at the same time! AMAZING! and proves it's possible! wow. I wouldn't try it at home, seems dangerous. But in a video game? Totally!

Okay I guess....

The funny thing is, in my opinion, attaching phrases like style over substance to firearms is a bit out of place anyway. Going down that rabbit hole is how you get people hurting themselves from trying to do stupid shit. Anyone concerned with looking cool when using a firearm, in any capacity, shouldn't be using them.
Of course nobody should ever do this in real life, but then again nobody in real life should surgically implant swords into their arms, but since it's a video game, and a really special one as well, I feel that dual wielding as an eventual update would be one of the more relaxed and not-so-far-out things that could be in the game in the world of cyberpunk. Most gun professionals in real life are physically able to hold two guns at the same time, one in each hand, but that doesn't mean that they should especially because it's extremely dangerous, and in fact it should never be done by anyone in real life.

In a video game or a movie, this is extremely common and not really a bad thing as long as it's made to look good, in a video game or movie only.

You gotta be kidding. :facepalm:
You're not gonna achieve a thing either.
Aww cmon now, everybody just cares passionately about their guns you know? If I was nearby (I'm assuming I'm not since it's never that easy right... :( ) I would invite you over to dual wield icecream with me. That would totally convince you of the joys of dual wielding, and also you know, icecream is really good. You don't mind if it's vegan icecream do you? :shrug:

These are good points.
Sardukhar and all the mods can come to dual wield vegan icecream too.
(gosh imagine if this actually worked out somehow?) Probably wouldn't, but still the thought of it is nice.

While excellent points it's REALLY a style over substance thing. IRL dual wielding almost always leads to less hits then using a single weapon because it's very difficult to control two weapons at the same time. Yes, there are rare people that can do it, but the other 99% of us really can't.

Besides there's are SIGNIFICANT animation issue in a game associated with allowing players to dual wield.
But loads of games do this just fine.

Last edited:
But loads of games do this just fine.
And loads of game do melee combat just fine, others ranged combat, others driving sims. others flight sims ... etc. etc. etc.
That also means loads of games have certain aspects of their game-play that aren't first rate.
It's a matter of what's important TO THE GAME not really what X, Y, or Z percentage of the potential customer base thinks is.

And loads of game do melee combat just fine, others ranged combat, others driving sims. others flight sims ... etc. etc. etc.
That also means loads of games have certain aspects of their game-play that aren't first rate.
It's a matter of what's important TO THE GAME not really what X, Y, or Z percentage of the potential customer base thinks is.
Well apparently CDPR did consider it at least somewhat important to the customer base and important to the game, enough so to add mantis blades, which are a form of dual wield, as well as action figure art pieces that are dual wielding, as well as that one moment where Jackie is holding two pistols at the same time. I think that's a very strong indicator of the fact that CDPR does in fact think that dual wielding looks fun or good or attractive and stylish as a concept, enough to have it shown in at least multiple different places and different kinds, even if V themselves are only able to dual wield mantis blades, but unable to dual wield weapons.

I'm not really finding any good reasons why V shouldn't be able to dual wield pistols or other weapons and I really hope it's added one day in the future.

And I guess to go back to this, what is the significant issue? I don't think this actually is a problem in any way. :shrug: This is why I said that many games do this. The fact that so many games do this so casually and so commonly is evidence to me that it isn't a significant issue. It's just a casual normal common thing that is added to countless games over the years, no problem.

You need animations for both firing and reloading for every possible combination of weapons that can be dual wielded for both left and right hands, for all genders. Not an insignificant task. Dozen's of new animations.
It really depends how they do it. Some games do this in very easy ways, Some games do this in very complex ways, but I will gladly wait and see, assuming CDPR ever decided to include it later on.

Guest 4211861

5245b990-214c-43d0-8c50-50d34edbb4bd.png

There goes my dream of dual-wielding ice cream cones.

Both are chocolate.
WAIT WAIT WAIT, you mean I can't have two vanilla, or one chocolate one vanilla, or one vanilla and another one that's %50 cookies and cream and %50 cookie dough, and I can't lick one while holding the other one still? Do you know how overwhelming it is to lick two cones at the same time!?!?!!! Then they start to melt and they get EVERYWHERE! Nobody is going to come save me with a napkin. NOBODY IS GOING TO HAND THE NAPKIN TO THE THIRD ARM I DON'T HAVE SO I CAN WIPE MY FACE. Then some little **** is gonna come wipe his icecream hands on my new raincoat my mom bought me at disney world. To top it all off, it is virtually impossible to find a fairly priced organic vegan icecream these days that is also not %50 soybean oil whipped up into a creamy texture! THESE COMPANIES KEEP ALIENATING THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE BECAUSE THEY DON'T EVEN THINK THEIR CUSTOMERS ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR COCONUT MILK! WHEN IS IT GOING TO STOP! AAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :cry::oops:o_O:giveup:

It's really weird since mantis blades are actually dual-wielded.
:shrug:
I hope it's not mandatory actually, as I was hoping on using one one arm for them.
Yeah, I hope so. It's an RPG game which should include many options for one slot.
I hope an "unlimited slots" mod comes out that lets me put everysingle cyber-mod in my V at the same time, overlapping.

Well, game VS lore... :facepalm:
in what sense? I'm confused.

Going to sound like a child here but..... So why do they keep hinting us at it???

View attachment 11055914

night wire episode 2
I have this really strange feeling deep inside me that keeps saying "I think they're gonna surprise us, and they're just gently trolling us this whole time to increase the anticipation"

I could be wrong of course, but I'm just weirdly getting that feeling. I just feel like it's very unlikely that they would include all kinds of hints that show dual wielding in some way, like the dual wielding tools of destruction perk icon, jackie dual wielding pistols, not to mention the mantis blades, the action figurines in the merchandise, but then not actually include it. Even though Marcin confirms it's not in.... (not saying anything bad about Marcin, I love the guy!)

It's just too..... "in" to not be "in".... :think:

Last edited:
Top Bottom