Valve offering paid mods

+
Valve offering paid mods

Sooo valve is literally on the path of turning user made mods into paid DLC

The problem is: will people still release mods for free when they can charge for them instead on Steam? Will this be the death of modding? Imagine what Skyrim would be like now if people could've charged money for mods when it came out.

So Valve went and turned the modding community into a 3rd party paid DLC industry

75%? I hope they choke their fucking money

There are so, so many wrongs with this.

Sooo valve is literally on the path of turning user made mods into paid DLC

This is where I lose all respect for Valve.

---------- Updated at 02:09 AM ----------

They've been doing this for years with Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2.

We're talking Skyrim, and in the future, other AAA mega hits. Not community based projects that have been formed over years. This is a terrible idea.

Last edited:
We're talking Skyrim, and in the future, other AAA mega hits. Not community based projects that have been formed over years. This is a terrible idea.

Those are real AAA games made by Valve.

This is where I lose all respect for Valve.

---------- Updated at 02:09 AM ----------

It's not Valve that's the problem here, they're just doing what businesses do, looking at new revenue streams. It's Bethesda that decided to permit this and should receive the Ire of the Internet.

I don't usually like slippery slope arguments, but I'm standing right next to one now, looking down to the abyss.
Step 1 - allow modders to charge money.
Step 2 - Concerns being raised over free mods that compete.
Step 3 - Full copyright/developer control over modding.

Last edited:
It's not Valve that's the problem here, they're just doing what businesses do, looking at new revenue streams. It's Bethesda that decided to permit this and should receive the Ire of the Internet.

Considering the fact that on this page http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/ it says:
Plus, many more of your favorite Workshop games will support paid content in the coming weeks.

I really doubt bethesda came up to valve and were like "lol wnna maek lots of $$$ ? lets maek all mods on ur workshop DLC lol"

I really doubt bethesda came up to valve and were like "lol wnna maek lots of $$$ ? lets maek all mods on ur workshop DLC lol"

No, I'd guess that Valve went to Bethesda. But Bethesda had the absolute right to tell them to plough themselves, they're the decision-maker.

So who confirms that the "author" really is the author, did it all himself, with no help from other modders, no tools provided by other modders, no component parts from other modders? Are modders going to have to start copyrighting their work now?

Edit: Yup, there it is:

Q. What if I see someone posting content I've created?
A. If someone has copied your work, please use the DMCA takedown notice.

Last edited:
No, I'd guess that Valve went to Bethesda. But Bethesda had the absolute right to tell them to plough themselves, they're the decision-maker.

Yes, Bethesda's role shouldn't be overlooked. Fucking depressing really. These guys led the way for user made mods.

Also, want to know how much of the money goes to creators of the mod ?

75% of the money goes to valve and bethesda. Disgusting, for valve the few hundred dollars they would make from a bunch of mod sales is literally like finding pennies on a street, yet they still feel the need to cash in.

This seems like a really bad turn for modding in general. It has the potential to kill the fun of modding, which was the incentive for making a mod up to now. Now how many modders will find their work re-uploaded to steam by some d*ckhead, who will make money from their work, with no chance to act against it?

I just skimmed the posts in another forum, exclusively modders. It's overwhelmingly opposed to this, not surprisingly. The potential for abuse is enormous.

Top Bottom