Valve offering paid mods

+
That whole paid mod thing is a horrible idea. Honestly NO!
It wasn't like steam workshop wasn't already a horrible idea compared to Nexus, now this. Ugh I'd rather keep giving small tips to mods that gave me hours of fun. then pay upfront for what might be stolen, buggy or completely broken on a "service" that can't handle big mods anyway.

Damn.. Iam so sad right now. I never experienced Skyrim with mods because my desktop was too old. So I've been waiting for the day I could buy a high end one and enjoy myself with mods. My new computer is coming in a few days and I read this. Iam really disappointed. If i'd knew a stronger word than disappointed, I would use it right now :(

I use my anger for something positive, working through a list of over 200 mods. Seeing if the mods are being pay-walled and un-endorsing them.
Most of my favorite mods all seem to be hard on the this crap is sick side... So time to donate some beer money, at least if I give a mod author on the Nexus a dollar he gets a dollar.
Not like that atrocious steam concept where they get 25% AFTER getting to 400$ in revenue...

From the founder of nexus.

So apparently valve is trying to become a "monpoly" of modding pretty much, getting modding sites to integrate with steam so valve would get more money from mod sales . There was a pretty big news post on nexus where Dark0ne said that they aren't taking up valve's offer and they are going to include new features like optional donations in Nexus.

Someone over there tallied the profits:

so, i did a little bit of calculation of the approximate sales and profit made on the first day, so people can see how much money the content creators actually get.
These stats were made assuming everybody who subscribed to the item has paid the lowest price option available, and it does not include the price in the bundle (as it is unknown)
Gifts of Akatosh [Corvalho] - $731.59 revenue, $100 personal profit
Shadow Scale Set [Sebastian] - $644.49 revenue, $100 personal profit
Sange Sword [T_Vidotto] - $88.25 revenue, $0 personal profit
Yasha Sword [T_Vidotto] - $104.00 revenue, $0 personal profit
Butterfly Sword [T_Vidotto] - $55.75 revenue, $0 personal profit
Lambda Locator [Jimo] - $118.09 revenue, $0 personal profit
Purity [Laast] - $1055.47 revenue, $200 personal profit
Blazing Ringsword [Fido] - $122.50 revenue, $0 personal profit
Scrib Crusher [Fido] - $53.00 revenue, $0 personal profit
iNeed [isoku] - $88.11 revenue, $0 personal profit
Wet and Cold [isoku] - $229.68 revenue. $0 personal profit
Shezrie's Bleakden Town [Shezrie] - $344.27 revenue, $0 personal profit
Firelink Implements [Vermilion Wlad] - $209.88 revenue, $0 personal profit
Midas Magic Gold Edition [xilverbulet] - $615.94 revenue, $100 personal profit
The Watcher Staff [Jeremy Klein] - $151.47 revenue, $0 personal profit
Blind Raven [RadLyte] - $193.50 revenue, $0 personal profit
Arissa - The Wandering Rogue [Chesko] - $499.93 revenue, $100 personal profit
Castle Volkihar Rebuilt [Arthmoor] - $471.15 revenue, $100 personal profit
Totals
$5777.08 Total Revenue
$700 paid to 6 content creators
$744.27 content creator revenue being withheld
$1733.12 Profit for Valve
$2599.69 profit for Bethesda

Last edited:
Wet and Cold [isoku] - $229.68 revenue. $0 personal profit
I hope he stays that way, actually the one that makes me the most angry of them all.
Donated in the past to that one, spend hours trying to figure out a weird ass bug and now what... hey the bug is still in the old nexus version but he wants money for the new version? screw him. Wonder how it swings with the dozen or two assets used from other mods, nexus page is locked because hah well..

Arissa - The Wandering Rogue [Chesko] - $499.93 revenue, $100 personal profit
This one is quite amusing uses half a dozen assets from other mods, these asset creators are pissed.

This one is quite amusing uses half a dozen assets from other mods, these asset creators are pissed.

Wasn't there a big thing when Skyrim came out, that Bethesda's T&C stated they would own all rights to mods? Do you know if that ever got changed? Because if Valve is saying "Just submit a DMCA" for this kind of scenario, what claim would the actual author have anyway?

Anyway, one update...
View attachment 12915

Attachments

• Dwm 2015-04-25 01-17-14-65.jpg
    Dwm 2015-04-25 01-17-14-65.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Cherisko actually took his stuff off since he got too much negative feedback over him selling out.

And his mod contained a list of credits to other modders whose content was being used in it, two of whom rescinded that permission earlier today when they found he was now selling the mod.

Which is why you can't do it this way. There's lists like that on so many of the larger mods. The Modding Community tends to give permission as long as they know they'll be credited, but suddenly switching to a payment method AFTER the mod has been out for a while changes everything.

Wasn't there a big thing when Skyrim came out, that Bethesda's T&C stated they would own all rights to mods? Do you know if that ever got changed? Because if Valve is saying "Just submit a DMCA" for this kind of scenario, what claim would the actual author have anyway?

Pretty simple actually, by European law it doesn't matter what Bethesda ever said in that regard. It is impossible to sign away your rights.

If they tried to pull that... well see ya in court. Law trumps Eula

Two of my favotite developers have lost my respect. Monetizing mods is one thing, taking 75% of the profits is another.

Done went through my whole skyrim load order. out of money and drunk.

Formula:
small mods get one beer worth of money, large mods get more beers depending on importance/size
Mod author sold out to valve/bethesda: means I drink a beer per mod. (I was drunk before I hit the end of Arthmoor)

Ran out of gaming spending money for this month and the next before hitting half my load order. Good thing I already got witcher 3 on gog.
Now imagine we weren't talking beers but the insane steam pricing, also the mod authors wouldn't even have gotten a full beer.

note: for ease of conversion 1 beer was 1$ as beer costs around 0,80€

the dependable "lets see if people will be stupid enough to buy it" business strategy.

valve really needs to diaf these days

Pretty simple actually, by European law it doesn't matter what Bethesda ever said in that regard. It is impossible to sign away your rights.

If they tried to pull that... well see ya in court. Law trumps Eula

Rights to what? They own the game and it's assets the European courts may have ruled in other situations about EULAs but until a case is brought before them regarding a mod to a game then you've got nothing to really work with.

The closest we've come to having a legal ruling on the matter was when Blizzard and Valve got into a huge legal fight over Dota 2. The Dota map editor IceFrog was hired by Valve to make Dota 2 but the original map creators of the map took legal action against that, the original creators being with Riot, which owns League of Legends.

Blizzard then turned to Riot and told them they were taking over, since like Bethesda they state in their EULA that they own the legal rights of their mods, or in this case custom maps. Riot gave it over to them instead of engaging in a legal battle over the matter and Blizzard and Valve faced each other. However the two giants settled on the matter but they did have to make some expensive concession to Blizzard.

So to summarize: If you made a mod for game then you do not automatically own the rights to it. I've love to see the day any mod creator goes head to head against Bethesda. As for any modder claiming ownership over any given mod versus another person, then you even in that situation you would still have to deal with the company that made the game.

One of my "friends' ( though he's a bloody prick ) is a popular map creator for Warcraft 3 custom game maps AND he's also in his last year studying law to become a state prosecutor in the US. I had a long discussion with him about the legal rights of maps/mods and he told me that it would very difficult for any modder to prove they own the rights of any mod they made for a game.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;oGKOiQGeO-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKOiQGeO-k[/video]

He ignores the fact that modders already can be payed for their mods via donations. And the fact that if they can't afford to mod because they're struggling to pay rent, charging for mods on Steam isn't going to make much of a difference unless your mod is really, really popular. He also ignores Bathesdas role in all this. According to the numbers @Garrison72 posted Bathesda takes 50% more revenue than Valve. I wouldn't be they're the ones who agreed to the 75% number.

Last edited:
Rights to what? They own the game and it's assets the European courts may have ruled in other situations about EULAs but until a case is brought before them regarding a mod to a game then you've got nothing to really work with.

The closest we've come to having a legal ruling on the matter was when Blizzard and Valve got into a huge legal fight over Dota 2. The Dota map editor IceFrog was hired by Valve to make Dota 2 but the original map creators of the map took legal action against that, the original creators being with Riot, which owns League of Legends.
Blizzard then turned to Riot and told them they were taking over, since like Bethesda they state in their EULA that they own the legal rights of their mods, or in this case custom maps. Riot gave it over to them instead of engaging in a legal battle over the matter and Blizzard and Valve faced each other. However the two giants settled on the matter but they did have to make some expensive concession to Blizzard.

If I made a mod I would automatically own the rights to anything of my own creation in said mod. Of course nobody else can have those rights as no matter what their eula says they can not take away those rights under European law. It is impossible to give them away (to be precise: you can sell the rights for someone to profit of your creation, but you'll always remain the original creator. Exception: any work-for-hire, but that doesn't apply here at all).

Here's the part most people can't comprehend. Creating something means you are the creator.
So lets say I create a porcupine-horse race. A Porcuorse, create the assets and stuff that thing into a mod. It does not matter if anyone stated anything in their eula, They don't own the porcuorse just because I made it into a mod that happens to run for their game.

Sure they own their game and their assets but not my assets , not my creation.

People need to stop seeing videogames as something new in this case it's just like say the electric windscreen wiper, cars existed (game), window wipers existed (races), but the electric window wiper for your car did not (porcuorse). And while it may have taken years in the end the car developer could not take away that the electric window wipers creator was the creator of said window wiper. Sure he used a car and even a window wiper, heck he even used a soldering kit and chips and whatnot. But it was a new creation in it's own right.

If it weren't a new creation and everyone had the rights to whatever someone invented based of their work well then honestly we wouldn't even have this discussion because clearly the ancient Greeks have all the rights to mods as there are only 7 plots in the world. Or maybe theunknown genius that invented writing (note: not real history!)?

So to summarize: If you made a mod for game then you do not automatically own the rights to it. I've love to see the day any mod creator goes head to head against Bethesda. As for any modder claiming ownership over any given mod versus another person, then you even in that situation you would still have to deal with the company that made the game.
Here's where it all falls apart, someone makes custom 3d hair models in a program not even connected to Skyrim. sets them up so other modders can use said hair models to make free content for everyone.

The hair models are the creation of that first modder, no matter what bethesda says at least in Europe you can show them the finger.
Someone takes said hair models and makes a paid mod using them. Here is the problem this person infringing on the rights of the original hair model creator to earn money.

The original hair creator can say you have no right to use my hair if you make money of of it.
Bethesda can say eh... well hmm... we don't want your hair. Maybe
However I can say screw you Bethesda I can change the data on my hard-drive all I want and still add the hair when I want.

One of my "friends' ( though he's a bloody prick ) is a popular map creator for Warcraft 3 custom game maps AND he's also in his last year studying law to become a state prosecutor in the US. I had a long discussion with him about the legal rights of maps/mods and he told me that it would very difficult for any modder to prove they own the rights of any mod they made for a game.

"...studying law to become a state prosecutor in the US..." - that's the part where I don't care about what he says.
Europe is kinda awesome, want to do business here abide by OUR laws, not the US laws. European laws/ maybe the country where you live if your country has even stricter ones than the European ones.

Now as far as maps inside a map making tool go, that is actually a lot more of a dark-grey area. Especially considering maps usually only re-use the game assets and are only a reinterpretation.

If I made a mod I would automatically own the rights to anything of my own creation in said mod

Not if you agreed to cede all rights to claim ownership when you signed up to be able to use the tools to create the mods or implement them in the game and yes they have these terms. That's similar to how they deal with the EU forcing them to have a refund policy. They just made updated terms of service so that you waive your right for a refund in 14 days.

So saying something like:

Europe is kinda awesome, want to do business here abide by OUR laws, not the US laws.

..means zilch because the Valve's been here before. We are talking of a company with dozens of well trained and well paid lawyers.

Also ALL of this is purely academic until someone brings a court case on the issue of copyright of mods. You really think any modder is mad enough to fight a legal battle against Valve/Bethesda?

that's the part where I don't care about what he says.

We specifically talked about EU law. He was the one to bring up the fact that Steam found a way around introducing a refund policy and that you waive your right of ownership when making mods or implementing them in a game.

I'm certain you can find loopholes, but you don't want to face a legal challenge from Bethesda.

Mind you I'm a Youtuber, a great deal of the arguments used by people against modders owning the rights to a game are also useD against Youtubers with gameplay videos ( Let's Play vids ). But here's some food for thought, even though some companies have done some shitty things against YT-ers, namely Nintendo, no Youtuber, no company that has partnerships with thousands of Youtubers, has ever challenged a game developer in court and we are talking of a lot of money at stake here.

That's because none of us are suicidal to risk our income on a court battle with a monolith like Nintendo.

Last edited:
Not if you agreed to cede all rights to claim ownership when you signed up to be able to use the tools to create the mods or implement them in the game and yes they have these terms. That's similar to how they deal with the EU forcing them to have a refund policy. They just made updated terms of service so that you waive your right for a refund in 14 days.

AH but again I can not sign them away, if they make their tools available in the EU they have to comply to EU law not vice versa.
I can not agree to sign away something that I legally CAN NOT sign away. Any signing of such agreement is void by them going against the law.

LAW trumps Eula, try it sometime it's liberating.

Edit: download and endorse!
SWS Main Menu Replacer

Has the instant classic;
[video=youtube;--L103omK_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--L103omK_A[/video]

Last edited:
Top Bottom