Valve offering paid mods

+
Yeah...And now, Beth don't even need to finish pc version of FO4...Modding community will do it instead.

And that's the real issue with these paid mods. Bethesda profits from selling an unfinished product, THEN they make even more profit when modders sell their fixes for the game. The less you do (within reason of course), the more profit there is. How is this helping to make games better?

Pay for mods?

But if a 70% of gamers have bought Skyrim because they known that had free mods (as Oblivion, Fallout...etc) and now they 'll have paid for them how will the sell of Fallout4 will be? With the quiet GOG's ahdow growing behind TE3 (awesome game for less money that other big AAA)?

Bethesda profits from selling an unfinished product, THEN they make even more profit when modders sell their fixes for the game.
I bet they are mad now...You know, they could implemented this much earlier - and make much money on SkyUI and unofficial patches :)

But yes, as somenone already said, lazy devs will now become even more lazier...

---------- Updated at 10:34 PM ----------

But if a 70% of gamers have bought Skyrim because they known that had free mods (as Oblivion, Fallout...etc) and now they 'll have paid for them how will the sell of Fallout4 will be?
FO4 will probably sell good...

I doubt this "paid mod" scandal will change anything, unfortunately...A lot of people are already paying a lot of money for official DLC's anyway - and most of them are crap...

I bet they are mad now...You know, they could implemented this much earlier - and make much money on SkyUI and unofficial patches :)

But yes, as somenone already said, lazy devs will now become even more lazier...

---------- Updated at 10:34 PM ----------

FO4 will probably sell good...

I doubt this "paid mod" scandal will change anything, unfortunately...A lot of people are already paying a lot of money for official DLC's anyway - and most of them are crap...

YEs, but usually you don't use one or two mods... but 3 or 30... really will gamers who like mods will pay the 50% or 100% or 200 game value plus DLC for mods?

i don't get this "paid mods will increase quality", do they think there's a contingent of expert game developers just waiting for paid modding to begin modding? there have been brilliant professional quality mods forever, it didn't require paid modding to make that happen.

now what will really happen is all the mediocre dreck will start popping up trying to get a piece of the action.

people need to embrace the concept of the donate button.

But if a 70% of gamers have bought Skyrim because they known that had free mods (as Oblivion, Fallout...etc) and now they 'll have paid for them how will the sell of Fallout4 will be? With the quiet GOG's ahdow growing behind TE3 (awesome game for less money that other big AAA)?

That's what you'd think, right? Then again, I'm pretty sure a lot of sales come from consoles, especially in the first weeks after the release. That was the case with Skyrim, I think. Mods keep the PC version alive, and they are a massive part of it, for sure, but most of the casual audience (for the lack of a better term) isn't too concerned about it.

On another note: Valve apparently planned this whole thing from the start, according to the EULA. Those responses though... :sad:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2518268

i don't get this "paid mods will increase quality", do they think there's a contingent of expert game developers just waiting for paid modding to begin modding? there have been brilliant professional quality mods forever, it didn't require paid modding to make that happen.

now what will really happen is all the mediocre dreck will start popping up trying to get a piece of the action.

people need to embrace the concept of the donate button.

I'm all about the donate button now. I fully plan to search out and donate to the modders I've relied on in the past. No more taking their work for granted.

Am I allowed to say Fuck Valve and Bethesda on this forum? I rarely ever cuss but when you ruin what makes PC gaming so special, that is personal and it hit home really hard.

Then take the sensible action.

Vote with your wallet.

Keep your usage of Valve and Bethesda's product to an absolute minimum.

Do not buy games on Steam or use Steam unless it is absolutely necessary. Use the alternatives like GOG, GMG, Humble Bundle, Amazon and Origin. Use IsThereAnyDeal.com to check out deals of games from everywhere, not just Steam. If you are looking for a game library, Razer has one for free called Razer Cortex which can be used as a library for all games regardless of where you buy it from.

As for Bethesda, either stop buying their games or only buy their games when they are at bargain bin prices. Invest yourself in other fantasy RPGs such as Witcher or Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity or Baldur's Gate. If you want sci-fi games there is Deus Ex, Mass Effect and upcoming Cyberpunk. Don't be too hooked onto a single IP to the point you see yourself wanting to buy games that come from that particular IP even though the developers are not being very nice.

Complaining is good for a short time. Get your emotions out instead of bottling it up. However, complaining alone is not enough. You have to act or have to have the will to act. Yes there will still be fools who support Valve and Bethesda and other developers like Ubisoft in spite of what they do. But those people do not matter. What matters is you. You as an individual, you as a person, you as a gamer and you as a consumer.

:cheers:

YEs, but usually you don't use one or two mods... but 3 or 30... really will gamers who like mods will pay the 50% or 100% or 200 game value plus DLC for mods?

Before this I really would, in fact, have gone out to buy Fallout 4 at full price because I love the series' setting/world. Then I could have fixed the gameplay with mods if need be.

Now I am not so sure... As someone who always had at least a hundred mods running for Skyrim, I will probably wait for a sale if I buy it at all. So the ability to mod for free does affect my decision to buy the game. Mainly because it is a Bethesda game, which lately comes incomplete and badly designed.

Then take the sensible action.

Vote with your wallet.

Keep your usage of Valve and Bethesda's product to an absolute minimum.

Do not buy games on Steam or use Steam unless it is absolutely necessary. Use the alternatives like GOG, GMG, Humble Bundle, Amazon and Origin. Use IsThereAnyDeal.com to check out deals of games from everywhere, not just Steam. If you are looking for a game library, Razer has one for free called Razer Cortex which can be used as a library for all games regardless of where you buy it from.

As for Bethesda, either stop buying their games or only buy their games when they are at bargain bin prices. Invest yourself in other fantasy RPGs such as Witcher or Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity or Baldur's Gate. If you want sci-fi games there is Deus Ex, Mass Effect and upcoming Cyberpunk. Don't be too hooked onto a single IP to the point you see yourself wanting to buy games that come from that particular IP even though the developers are not being very nice.

Complaining is good for a short time. Get your emotions out instead of bottling it up. However, complaining alone is not enough. You have to act or have to have the will to act. Yes there will still be fools who support Valve and Bethesda and other developers like Ubisoft in spite of what they do. But those people do not matter. What matters is you. You as an individual, you as a person, you as a gamer and you as a consumer.

:cheers:

I will vote with my wallet. I don't really have much love for Valve or Bethesda to began with. I just saw them as a neutral parties prior to this whole paid mod fiasco. I could never finish a single Bethesda game ranging from Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. With the Witcher 2, I have already finished the game multiple times and have experienced all the different endings, and it leaves me wanting more.

The last game I bought on Steam was Cities: Skyline but even once the whole paid mod is gone, I won't ever look at Valve the same. Once GOG galaxy fully launch, I'm switching all my purchase over there. I don't feel like a customer with DRM. I am not like the many sheeps you find in the gaming world. I am an older gamer, and have seen how pathetic modern gamers are willing to put up with things. I always consider myself an alpha wolf, the pack leader, the white wolf, the one who won't cave in to anti-consumer policy.

I am seriously excited for Cyberpunk 2077 even though no game play footage is yet revealed. I do however it won't be release for a very long time because I want more than just 2 expansion for the Witcher 3.

You don't have to worry about me and my stance. I am very stubborn and I won't bulge until the whole paid mod rule is change. Steam isn't even the best price around anymore, and haven't been for quite a long while. Amazon, GOG, Gamersgate, Humble Bundle, Origin, DKgaming, etc... are all much cheaper. I just realize I bought Cities: Skyline on DKgaming and not steam. Only use it on steam though cause it was steam code only (monopoly).

If more people were like us, being a wolf instead of the millions of sheeps flock out there. If more people like us, Nexon would have never taken off with Maple Story, There would be no freenium mobile games, there would not be countless rehash of COD titles, there would not be any DLC period, there would not be DRM, and lastly developers would be afraid to release unfinish games.

rofl, even hitlter decided to side with us XD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7N8FfE9LyQ

---------- Updated at 04:17 PM ----------

I will vote with my wallet. I don't really have much love for Valve or Bethesda to began with. I just saw them as a neutral parties prior to this whole paid mod fiasco. I could never finish a single Bethesda game ranging from Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. With the Witcher 2, I have already finished the game multiple times and have experienced all the different endings, and it leaves me wanting more.

The last game I bought on Steam was Cities: Skyline but even once the whole paid mod is gone, I won't ever look at Valve the same. Once GOG galaxy fully launch, I'm switching all my purchase over there. I don't feel like a customer with DRM. I am not like the many sheeps you find in the gaming world. I am an older gamer, and have seen how pathetic modern gamers are willing to put up with things. I always consider myself an alpha wolf, the pack leader, the white wolf, the one who won't cave in to anti-consumer policy.

I am seriously excited for Cyberpunk 2077 even though no game play footage is yet revealed. I do however it won't be release for a very long time because I want more than just 2 expansion for the Witcher 3.

You don't have to worry about me and my stance. I am very stubborn and I won't bulge until the whole paid mod rule is change. Steam isn't even the best price around anymore, and haven't been for quite a long while. Amazon, GOG, Gamersgate, Humble Bundle, Origin, DKgaming, etc... are all much cheaper. I just realize I bought Cities: Skyline on DKgaming and not steam. Only use it on steam though cause it was steam code only (monopoly).

If more people were like us, being a wolf instead of the millions of sheeps flock out there. If more people like us, Nexon would have never taken off with Maple Story, There would be no freenium mobile games, there would not be countless rehash of COD titles, there would not be any DLC period, there would not be DRM, and lastly developers would be afraid to release unfinish games.

hats off to you sir (or madam) ! and thanks for your support to this cause ^^

I don't know how many others will do what I'm going to do, but I have a feeling I will be joined by many. Personally I'm a lazy git and why I am still on steam. The only reason... Simply had one game long ago require steam and I bought everything else physical copy. So naturally since I already had steam installed when I decided to stop buying physical and buy mostly digital. I went with steam because I already had an account setup and functioning...

Now with this latest news I denfinately feel like cancelling my TW3 order from steam and ordering it on GOG instead. Even if I don't get around to that I certainly will make sure I have A GOG account setup and move my wishlist to it. I will be moving all of my business to GOG for sure for future purchases.

I really can't see how any PC gamer would pay for such minor mods and why Valve/Beth think they will be gaining something by this action. Optional Donations would of been a much better route and of course unneeded as current modders can allow that without steam. and at taking 75% of the mod makers earnings... That just ridiculous... I loved Skyrim because of what modders made it, I definately will not be pre-ordering their next game and wait to see if the "Full" game will cost me $60 or $600. I'd rather decide which mods deserve my hard earned cash, not nickle and dime me for mods...

This might become an annoyance in another way as well. Someone makes a unique mod for $3 and people see how popular it is so a skimmer makes one very similiar and sells it for $2... Especially if the context of using other mods resources isn't frowned upon or enforced...(since they had said such to modders that use others resources that it was okay to sale them...)

I was expecting this, unlike other controversies that tend to be spread across several platforms and not bother "casual" players, this only affected the more "hardcore" pc audience and even though they went back on it, it has already severely damaged Valve and Bethesda's reputation.

Well it's good that we showed them that we do not tolerate this kind of shit :yes

Cheers everyone :cheers2:

Top Bottom